Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 4/26/2015 11:20:47 AM   
kirk23

Cheers!

Your Country Needs You Event.

Attachment (1)

Make it so!

(in reply to DanielHerr)
Post #: 91
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 4/26/2015 11:22:08 AM   
euroaron

it is gonna be long and hard like the wand of the donkey.

let me share you my view about the diplomacy of this game.

about what? :D

true! what is called in this game diplomacy is merely a pop-up window report about the attitude of every country, a counter, and a declare war button that is the most diplomatic option in this menu. it is clearly seen that to call this whole to diplomacy is a strong exaggeration.

but do not bin it! rename it instead! call it what it really is: INTELLIGENCE! and remove the declare war button to a new menu with the title of DIPLOMACY!

how do i imagine the diplomacy in this game? this is a historical war game, so diplomacy adds just an extra taste to it like the salt in the stew, important, but it is not in the first line. both playability and historical accuracy have to match.

so ww1, theatre europe. some of the countries have all their cards on the table, others still have them in hand and some countries are to be out of this game. the first group contains the ringleaders: austria, serbia, germany, belgium, france, britain with the commonwealth, russia, the ottoman empire and persia. they have no choice, they enter and fight at their side. all i would give them: targets, goals (let me detail later). those who joined the camps later are in the second group: italy, bulgaria, portugal, usa, romania and greece. they have to be granted some choice, either join any side or watch the story outside being neutral. the third group is about the neutral ones: netherlands, denmark, norway, sweden, spain and switzerland. they cannot be brought in war except they are attacked.

before i carry on, let me introduce the concept of the CLAIM. the subjects of the claim are cities, forts, capitals, ports and the territories around them, say so war targets a country fights for, tokens the big guns pay in the diplomacy with. some claims are historical (like italy joined entente with the promise to get trieste and trento) others are fictional (like serbia fights for sarajevo and cattaro). in the game it means if a city is claimed, like an italian one from above, say trento, if any other entente power conquers it but italy, it does not matter, it belongs to italy as promised. a deal is a deal!

one more new concept has to be introduced, the PASSAGE. the passage grants the units of other countries to move in the territory of the country, either having support or not, but the units and the status of the country remains neutral. this is useful two ways. persia and greece are obvious, they were battlefields without official declarations of war. but what if a country surrenders?

let me detail this. pretend that germany conquered half of france in early 1916, paris included, and france is to surrender. the present game this is a message only, france turns to neutral, germany keeps the territories she conquered, blah, blah. what is this? rubbish! there would have been negotiations and deals behind this event, lets translate them to this game an elegant but easy way. so the message comes: france would surrender. terms are following: france is out of war, she receives her german occupied cities back, french claims are void, claims against france have to be completed, passage is granted to germany and her allies, french units abroad have to move home territories automatically or be disbanded, and a tribute is to paid germany every turn. the CP may decide: signs the peace treaty or not? choose yes: see above - and in this case the other entente units are also obliged to leave france territories as well having a special kind of passage that are valid only for them moving (out of) there, but any other entente units are not allowed to enter the french territories any more; or they may resist this not respecting the french decision: that means war with france and france joins CP! if the CP does not accept the terms, well, that means france stays in war with something special: france receives some extra morale, like 50, and some extra manpower too, like 200 angry men, but no PP. and the war rages on...

see? this is closer to the reality. you have a choice. and playability is considered.

now get back to diplomacy. first of all, the claims of the countries have to be set, they are default. below is a draft about.

the first group:
AUSTRIA - she starts war. she claims venice from italy, belgrade, kraljevo, nis, skopje, tirana and cetinje from serbia. if bulgaria joins CP, the claim of nis becomes void.
SERBIA - she starts war. she claims sarajevo and cattaro.
GERMANY - she joins central in turn 3. she claims novo-georgievsk, warsaw, brest-litovsk, riga, kovno and vilna from russia.
BELGIUM - she joins entente in turn 3. she has no claims.
FRANCE - she joins entente in turn 3. she claims metz and strassburg from germany, beirut, damascus and aleppo from the ottoman empire.
BRITAIN - she joins entente in turn 4. she claims gaza, aqaba, jerusalem, mosul, samarrah, baghdad, kut, basra and kuwait from the ottoman empire.
RUSSIA - she joins entente in turn 5. she claims konigsberg, danzig, posen and breslau from germany, prague, krakow, lemberg and przemysl from austria, erzurum and samsun from the ottoman empire.
TURKEY - she joins central in turn 10. she claims batumi, sarikamish and tiflis from russia, port said, ismailia, suez, cairo, alexandria and nicosia from britain and heraklion from greece.
PERSIA - she has special rules. she gives passage to the entente with full supply, her units do not move and she does not join the entente unless their units are insulted by CP units. she has no claims.

the second group:
ITALY - she is to join entente in turn 25, except paris falls before(!) then joins central instead(!). she claims trieste and trento from austria OR tunis, sfax and mareth from france (both ways are historical).
BULGARIA - she joins central if serbian city of nis conquered by central AND all big central countries are still in war. she claims the city of nis against serbia (the appropriate austrian claim becomes void), fort of roupel against greece and the city of constanta against romania (big bulgaria dream completed).
PORTUGAL - she joins entente in turn... er, sorry, i do not know, 9 march 1916 or sooner (on account of the sea warfare), except paris falls before(!) then stays neutral instead. she may join again if usa joins(?). she surrenders if france, britain and italy have surrendered. anyway, this fictional line still has to be worked out. but she has no european claims, sure.
USA - she joins entente in 6 april 1917 or earlier (sea warfare). she surrenders if the war in europe is over. she has no claims.
ROMANIA - she joins entente if the manpower of austria is less than 90% AND the russian cities of vinnytsia, chisnau, odessa and kiev are not conquered by central AND paris has not fallen AND italy and russia have not surrendered. she joins central if the russian cities of vinnytsia, chisnau, odessa and kiev are conquered by central AND all big central countries are still in war. she claims the cities of klausenburg, temeschburg and debrecen OR the cities of vinnytsia, chisnau and odessa (the appropriate bulgarian claim becomes void).
GREECE - she has special rules, the civil war and hesitates between both sides. the greek units do not move, the entente units are allowed to move her territories (passage granted) but they DO NOT receive supply from the greek cities. she joins entente if there are at least nine (i just wrote a number) entente units on her territory (island of crete does not count!) deciding the civil war AND italy is still in war AND paris is not conquered. she joins central if italy is out of war OR paris has fallen AND all big central countries are still in war (the appropriate bulgarian claim becomes void). she has no claims.

the third group:
NETHERLAND, DENMARK, SWEDEN, NORWAY, SWITZERLAND and SPAIN: they are not to join any side, but can be attacked. the war declaration gives some extra morale and manpower to the countries of the other side.

graphic realisation in the game: a new panel is needed, diplomacy. like in the current diplomacy menu, the countries are listed on the right. having clicked on a country the info panel on the left shows the conditions of the join. there are two blocks in this, the entente and the central. each block contains the terms of join with a tick if they are met. below the conditions there is a button that is active only if all conditions above are met: the country is ready to join. click it, the country joins, welcome to the club, bro. on the bottom left there is the declare war button from the old diplomacy removed. if a power is already in war, the info panel shows nothing special, or some resource (strictly PP) allocation thing can be put here, whatever.

that's it. by numbers the cp was predestined to lose, but some what-if events can color the game and change the history. what if paris had fallen in 1914 or early 1915? would italy have joined entente anyway or would she have chosen the old allies? if romania had not had the powerful russian forces in her back would she have attacked the strong austria? or if there had been a real counter-proposal about a border correction toward east on the table would she have chosen the CP? interesting questions, think about them.

thank you for your attention.

< Message edited by euroaron -- 4/26/2015 2:43:08 PM >

(in reply to DanielHerr)
Post #: 92
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 4/26/2015 12:38:11 PM   
operating

This line caught my attention and I think euroaron makes a good point.
quote:

in the game it means that a city is claimed, like the italian ones, if any other power conquers them but italy, no matter, they belong to italy, as promised. a deal is a deal!

(in reply to euroaron)
Post #: 93
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 4/26/2015 1:57:10 PM   
kirk23

I would like to see the games diplomacy improved, but I don't think its ever going to be an in depth, enhancement. Some off the above suggestions, could be introduce into the game via event popups, as and when they happen. That said now that the Bulgaria activation issue is a thing of the past, I thought I would post this event, as some games may never have seen its activation before, if Bulgaria does not enter the war.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 4/26/2015 3:00:22 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 94
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 4/26/2015 7:25:54 PM   
kirk23

Food shortage in Germany

Attachment (1)

Make it so!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 95
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 4/27/2015 1:25:17 AM   
kirk23

There has been an on going debate, since the game was first released nearly 3 years ago, regarding the Ruhr area of the map, I have decided to have a cluster of 3 Cities, to enhance this area of the maps importance to Germany. These Cities are as follows: Dortmund, Essen & Duesseldorf.

Attachment (1)

Make it so!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 96
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 4/27/2015 8:02:29 AM   
euroaron

if it is about to correct the map, would you please...
- rename the romanian fort of ARAD to CRAIOVA (arad is roughly one hex above temeschburg!!!)
- replace the hungarian capital BUDAPEST to her correct place, two hexes to the west.
- replace the hungarian city of DEBRECEN to her correct place (no idea where should it be, but to the south for sure) or rename the city to what it is... perhaps MISKOLC? KOSICE (KASSA)?
- the austrian capital of VIENNA is also located wrong. for me it seems like BRATISLAVA (POZSONY) now... VIENNA should be in the next hex to the west and south.

the balkan is a mess! :D

< Message edited by euroaron -- 4/27/2015 9:04:41 AM >

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 97
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 4/27/2015 8:23:19 AM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: euroaron

if it is about to correct the map, would you please...
- rename the romanian fort of ARAD to CRAIOVA (arad is roughly one hex above temeschburg!!!)
- replace the hungarian capital BUDAPEST to her correct place, two hexes to the west.
- replace the hungarian city of DEBRECEN to her correct place (no idea where should it be, but to the south for sure) or rename the city to what it is... perhaps MISKOLC? KOSICE (KASSA)?
- the austrian capital of VIENNA is also located wrong. for me it seems like BRATISLAVA (POZSONY) now... VIENNA should be in the next hex to the west and south.

the balkan is a mess! :D

Altering the names and City position's on the map is the easy part. As far as I can tell, after doing a web search, CRAIOVA is a City and not a fortress, is this correct for World War 1 time line?

Make it so!

(in reply to euroaron)
Post #: 98
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 4/27/2015 8:28:16 AM   
euroaron

some more observations about the current diplomacy. the facts below are based on the 1914 scenario.
- you are not able to declare war against neutral countries in the first 5 turns. why?
- from the sixth turn you are able to declare war against anybody. that means the central power can declare war against turkey or bulgaria or both or the entente can declare war against the usa or portugal. whaaat???
- both sides are allowed to declare war against the non-existent power of arabia. of course arabia surrenders at once. i did not find out what will the later consequences be, but let a facepalm fly...

(in reply to euroaron)
Post #: 99
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 4/27/2015 8:43:01 AM   
euroaron

i have changed the name of arad to craiova in the construction.lua, but in the game the new name has not been presented it turned to blank showing just the PP. i presume there must be something else linked too, event, picture, both, more?

anyhow, craiova or not, fort or not, arad was a hungarian city that time with a different location, so that fort there must be named something else.

< Message edited by euroaron -- 4/27/2015 9:47:31 AM >

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 100
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 4/27/2015 9:00:24 AM   
kirk23

Arad renamed Craiova.( For any name to appear on the map you also need to change it in the Language file )

I will add ARAD above Craiova on the map so that it will be an Romanian fortress.

I have to go out for a couple of hours, I will continue trying to fix the in game locations on my return.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 4/28/2015 5:20:34 AM >

Make it so!

(in reply to euroaron)
Post #: 101
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 4/27/2015 9:45:51 AM   
euroaron

ah, i see... and i found arad related event in the game_events.lua, will it not cause any problem?
i cannot see the new hungarian fort arad in the picture attached, i just hope you placed it well... (why is it a fort anyway?)

hereby you can find some more interesting events of the great war:
- the introduce of the conscription in britain
- the war movie the battle of the somme in the british cinemas
- the cold winter of 1916-1917
- bochkareva's 1st russian women's battalion of death
- women in war work

and for a while that's all from me. let me express my true admiration about the game. it is a pearl of the genre and unique processing this historical event in this scale. even in its present state full with question marks it is enjoyable for a beginner and makes the old gamers fly back to the middle of '90s, into the golden age of the hex based strategy games, and places a big smile on their faces. hats off!
i wish you all the best to finish this project! balance it well (real), put a simple but useful diplomacy in it (anyhow), improve the ai (it is a must), and give it a good end scene (pleasure)! make it perfect, make it the best!
i personally thank the inspiration i found here and the positive atmosphere of the forum.
hopefully i will feel like to return here. if there will be a new patch, for sure!

< Message edited by euroaron -- 4/27/2015 10:57:27 AM >

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 102
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 4/27/2015 12:38:46 PM   
kirk23

Altering Arad fortress map location does not cause any problems, all I have to do is alter the hex location info in the events data file.

Make it so!

(in reply to euroaron)
Post #: 103
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 4/27/2015 1:36:51 PM   
operating

Kirk question:

Did Romania have any forts worthy of placing on the map?

Bob

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 104
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 4/28/2015 2:05:48 AM   
kirk23

I'm looking at each Country in turn, to see if the game could benefit from any additional Fortresses etc.

Germany has a new fortress in the east Loetzen.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 4/28/2015 3:20:48 AM >

Make it so!

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 105
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 4/28/2015 4:25:02 AM   
kirk23

Arad fortress back on the map above Craiova

Attachment (1)

Make it so!

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 106
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 4/28/2015 5:05:54 AM   
operating

Having a fort in Romania makes a pre-emptive strike by CP difficult, which is OK.

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 107
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 5/13/2015 2:19:20 AM   
operating

Hi Kirk!

Is there another patch in the works? One that includes the recent hotfixes (have not downloaded them yet).

Curious, Bob

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 108
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 5/17/2015 5:54:37 AM   
DanielHerr

Kirk, could you consider making Belgium neutral and allowing the player the decision to attack them?

danielherr.github.io

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 109
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 5/17/2015 3:17:20 PM   
AEWHistory

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but has it been considered giving the Germans a fourth (edit: infantry) commander? Ludendorff is really sorely missing from the game and, IME, the Germans constantly suffer from huge areas without leadership. The allies, OTOH, don't really have this problem. Was Ludendorff excluded for a reason?

Thanks!

< Message edited by AEWHistory -- 5/17/2015 4:18:45 PM >

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 110
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 5/20/2015 5:22:54 AM   
AdmiralSarek

And make the British ones better, now way were they that bad, some of the Austrian ones were truly bad.

In the end it is about game balance, we want the CP to win half of the time.

(in reply to AEWHistory)
Post #: 111
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 5/21/2015 2:15:50 PM   
Udet

Hi Kirk,
I like your decision concerning the Ruhr area. Thanks!

< Message edited by Udet -- 5/21/2015 3:16:36 PM >

Udet

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 112
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 5/21/2015 6:39:00 PM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/26/2018 6:15:55 AM >

(in reply to Udet)
Post #: 113
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 5/21/2015 8:07:19 PM   
kirk23

Hi, I have not been around on the forums for nearly 3 weeks, as I have been in hospital, with a hernia that developed fairly serious complications, as I needed an emergency operation to fix the problem, It will take me a few days to get back in the groove, the game still needs alot of work done to it before I would consider it the finnished article, I personally have an number of things, I want to improve as to game play, I also have 2 or 3 new Grand Campaigns, I would like to see added to the game, these would mainly be based on changing Country starting alignments, so that for example, you could have the war start with Austria V Serbia, but Germany,France,Britain & Russia would not get involved, until a few game turns had passed. This is just an idea at this stage.

< Message edited by kirk23 -- 5/21/2015 9:08:47 PM >

Make it so!

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 114
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 5/21/2015 8:11:51 PM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: Udet

Hi Kirk,
I like your decision concerning the Ruhr area. Thanks!

Hi Udet, I felt something had to be done, to highlight the Ruhr areas importance to Germany, and I thought that the 3 City grouping was as good away as any for this purpose.

Make it so!

(in reply to Udet)
Post #: 115
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 5/21/2015 8:16:14 PM   
kirk23

quote:

ORIGINAL: AEWHistory

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but has it been considered giving the Germans a fourth (edit: infantry) commander? Ludendorff is really sorely missing from the game and, IME, the Germans constantly suffer from huge areas without leadership. The allies, OTOH, don't really have this problem. Was Ludendorff excluded for a reason?

Thanks!

I think you will be delighted to hear that Ludendorff along with a great many other Commanders will be making long awaited appearances in the game, at the present time I think Germany will have 10 Generals at least by the time I'm finished adding more for all the Countrise in the game, not just the main ones.

Make it so!

(in reply to AEWHistory)
Post #: 116
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 5/21/2015 8:54:45 PM   
operating

Get well Kirk!

Been wondering why you have been MIA? Believe me! I know about hernias!

Take care! Bob

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 117
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 5/21/2015 8:59:24 PM   
Cataphract88

Get well soon, Kirk.

Richard

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 118
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 5/23/2015 12:13:23 PM   
Udet

Get well soon, Kirk!

Gaming ist fun, but gaming with a good health is more fun.

Udet

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 119
RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. - 5/28/2015 11:00:10 PM   
TripleCP

Hope you're feeling better, Kirk.

What do you think about beefing up the PP of Russia's westernmost cities (and Trans-Caucasus cities like Tiflis and Baku) at the expense of its deep interior cities?

1) Russia's western regions were the most economically developed (proportionally even more the case with regard to the Russian Empire than of the Soviet Union).
2) Also, the underdeveloped Russian road and rail networks made cities located close to front lines all the more critical to its war effort (the Russian army's supply problems had less to do with low production of war materiel than it did with the inability to transport it to the front).
3) Finally, although pre-war German military doctrine argued that mounting a major invasion of Russian territory would be almost pointless given the distances to Moscow and Petrograd, von Hindenburg and Ludendorff argued for occupying Russia's frontier provinces and transforming them into German protectorates/economic colonies.

In the game's current state, there really are not many reasons for the Central Powers to go on the offensive in the East beyond seizing Warsaw and establishing a static front line from Koenigsberg to Lemberg. Nor is there a major reason for the Russians to suffer heavy losses defending their western territories as was the case historically. Increasing the potential gains/losses to controlling the Russian Empire's border regions would change this.

(in reply to Udet)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War >> RE: COMMANDER THE GREAT WAR AND ITS FUTURE. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI