Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Windows 7 Game play problems

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Windows 7 Game play problems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Windows 7 Game play problems - 6/2/2015 2:00:31 AM   
BAR

Hi all, been a while since I played the original WitP and have been getting the bug to start up the game again. Unfortunately I could not get the game to run in Win 7 without serious problems when playing. The screen goes black and unit/base windows will not close forcing me to uninstall it. I just purchased AE and DL'd the new patch. Have it installed to the default C:Matrix folder and then patched up. Was trying to run the Guadalcanal scenario just to see how everything looked. I am having the same problems with AE that I have been having with the original WitP all weekend - black screens when moving around the map, unable to get the mouse to click on the correct hex and base/unit windows staying open and covering the windows I need to form TF's or any other function of the game. I have tried running with the shortcut under Win XP compatibility mode with no luck. Have searched the Forums and can't seem to find any help with Win 7 but a lot about issues with Win 8. Is there some setting that I may have forgotten to set to get AE to run in Win 7? would hate to have just spent $105 and not be able to run the game. I am sure that as others have no issues with Win 7 that it is hopefully a simple fix. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Windows 7 Game play problems - 6/2/2015 2:58:21 AM   
witpqs

Most of us run AE (and WITP before it) on Windows 7. XP compatibility mode is not needed.

What you describe is really strange. You mention that the same thing happened with WITP that is happening with WITP AE - is it the very same PC?

(in reply to BAR)
Post #: 2
RE: Windows 7 Game play problems - 6/2/2015 4:57:40 AM   
wdolson

If you have a multi-core processor, you will probably need the -cpu# (where # is the number of the processor core to use) on the command line. That should help with any slowness. There are some other switches to help with slowness, but that's the first one to try.

The blackness may be something odd with your video card. With one of my computers, I get black surrounding all the lettering on the screen when I first start. If change the focus to an empty hex, then minimize the window and restore it fixes it. I also run in windowed mode with the -w switch on the command line.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 3
RE: Windows 7 Game play problems - 6/3/2015 8:28:35 PM   
BAR

Thanks for the replies guys. I was able to find the list of Command switches and found one that works out great for me! Very happy. Here's what I am using in case it helps anyone else:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -cpu#3 -deepColor -multiaudio -dd_sw

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Windows 7 Game play problems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI