Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Perfect Waterloo Book

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Perfect Waterloo Book Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Perfect Waterloo Book - 6/20/2015 9:45:09 AM   
warspite1

Just thought I would mention this book to those who are interested in the battle.

The Waterloo Companion - Mark Adkin (Aurum)

There are loads of excellent books on this subject out there - but if you are looking for something big, colourful, glossy, packed with more charts, pictures and diagrams than you can shake a stick at then this is for you; brief history of the build up to the campaign, incredibly detailed Orders of Battle, maps depicting the scene at key stages of the battle, uniforms, summaries of the key officers (Corps and Divisional), tactics employed (the subsidiary battles are also included) etc etc etc

This book contains over 400 pages of essential information - and all presented in a way that begs to be read!

One of my favourite books in my entire military history library and thoroughly recommended

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/20/2015 10:48:20 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 1
RE: Perfect Waterloo Book - 6/20/2015 1:33:04 PM   
benpark

Good recommendation. I think that has been out of print for a while, though. It may be hard to find a copy. Like most great history books.

I'd also suggest "Armies at Waterloo" Scott Bowden for OOB nitty gritty (out of print as I well, I expect), and for the best narrative account of Waterloo "The Battle" by Alessandro Barbero(Author), John Cullen(Translator) is really, really fantastic.

"Fear is a darkroom where the devil develops his negatives" Gary Busey

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2
RE: Perfect Waterloo Book - 6/20/2015 1:42:52 PM   
Tim1966

The Waterloo Companion is excellent - there is also a Gettysburg one too and I think a lot of the team own copies.

Norbsoft artist

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 3
RE: Perfect Waterloo Book - 6/20/2015 3:34:05 PM   
Aurelian

http://www.amazon.com/Waterloo-Companion-The-Complete-Historys/dp/0811718549

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to Tim1966)
Post #: 4
RE: Perfect Waterloo Book - 6/20/2015 3:41:48 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tim1966

The Waterloo Companion is excellent - there is also a Gettysburg one too and I think a lot of the team own copies.
warspite1

...and a Trafalgar and a Western Front version.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Tim1966)
Post #: 5
RE: Perfect Waterloo Book - 6/20/2015 4:00:33 PM   
pjsynnott

This one is an oldie but a goodie. With chapters by British, French and German writers, excellent illustrations and probably the best battle maps outside Adkins' work.

"WATERLOO, Battle of the Three Armies."

http://www.amazon.com/Waterloo-Battle-Armies-Lord-Chalfont/dp/0283982357

Long out of print, I think, but worth snapping up if a second-hand copy is ever in reach.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: Perfect Waterloo Book - 6/20/2015 5:10:44 PM   
mitra76

If you can read french Les Carnets de la Campagne are invaluables (12 volumes), lot of primary sources reported of all the side and they cover also the day of 15 Junes, the 17 and the 19.

Visit my wargame blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/

(in reply to pjsynnott)
Post #: 7
RE: Perfect Waterloo Book - 6/20/2015 7:52:32 PM   
Rosseau

Warspite's selection does appear to be the book on the topic.

However, for those who don't want to pay more than the game for a book:

Waterloo: June 18, 1815: The Battle for Modern Europe (Making History)
Roberts, Andrew
Sold by: Books Squared
$0.01

$3.99 for shipping, of course

(in reply to mitra76)
Post #: 8
RE: Perfect Waterloo Book - 6/22/2015 11:25:49 AM   
Volunteer

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Just thought I would mention this book to those who are interested in the battle.

The Waterloo Companion - Mark Adkin (Aurum)

There are loads of excellent books on this subject out there - but if you are looking for something big, colourful, glossy, packed with more charts, pictures and diagrams than you can shake a stick at then this is for you; brief history of the build up to the campaign, incredibly detailed Orders of Battle, maps depicting the scene at key stages of the battle, uniforms, summaries of the key officers (Corps and Divisional), tactics employed (the subsidiary battles are also included) etc etc etc

This book contains over 400 pages of essential information - and all presented in a way that begs to be read!

One of my favourite books in my entire military history library and thoroughly recommended

This book looks excellent. I wonder if the devs used it as a reliable source? When I tried to snag a copy on Amazon the cheapest one available was £94 and the most expensive £418.00 (yes,
hundreds!). A publisher could well cash in on a reprinting methinks.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 9
RE: Perfect Waterloo Book - 6/22/2015 10:02:28 PM   
Jim_NSD

We did use the Waterloo Companion as one of a number of sources. You can see the complete list on pages 102-103 of the game manual.

-Jim

Design Lead: Scourge of War

"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont Infantry, 2 July 1863

(in reply to Volunteer)
Post #: 10
RE: Perfect Waterloo Book - 6/23/2015 11:26:50 AM   
aaatoysandmore

There's some excellent docs on YouTube as well.

(in reply to Jim_NSD)
Post #: 11
RE: Perfect Waterloo Book - 6/25/2015 6:26:06 PM   
Enigma6584

quote:

ORIGINAL: benpark

Good recommendation. I think that has been out of print for a while, though. It may be hard to find a copy. Like most great history books.

I'd also suggest "Armies at Waterloo" Scott Bowden for OOB nitty gritty (out of print as I well, I expect), and for the best narrative account of Waterloo "The Battle" by Alessandro Barbero(Author), John Cullen(Translator) is really, really fantastic.

I'm new to the scourge of war series and am thoroughly enjoying it. I wanted to get some good historical background on the battle and ordered it via amazon.com and it is temporarily out of stock. I also bought the Gettysburg Companion and it just arrived the other day. It is simply amazing and if Waterloo Companion is anything like the Gettysburg Companion, it is money very much well spent.

(in reply to benpark)
Post #: 12
RE: Perfect Waterloo Book - 6/26/2015 8:10:54 AM   
Rasputitsa

I found this title as very illuminating;

Waterloo: The French Perspective : Andrew Field

There has been little from the French side, who seemed to want to forget the whole thing. Personal recollections, including Napoleon much further forward than I had imagined, talking with the gunners close to La Haye Sainte and with the Old Guard at Plancenoit. The attack of the Guard, advancing in square formation, as with most of the Guard committed to Plancenoit, or held as a final reserve, the celebrated attack is made by just 6 battalions of the Middle Guard.

The companion title covers the build up to the battle and some of the material is a repetition of the other book, but does help to complete the picture of the campaign.

Prelude to Waterloo: Quatre Bras: The French Perspective

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 7/3/2015 6:05:12 PM >

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to Enigma6584)
Post #: 13
RE: Perfect Waterloo Book - 6/26/2015 1:35:56 PM   
witheford

I strongly recommend Waterloo: Four Days that Changed Europe’s Destiny by Tim Clayton.
It is a recently published overview of the battle that manages to be both a comprehensive synthesis of recent research and a
thrilling narrative, making clear just how much of 'close run thing' it was.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Scourge of War: Waterloo >> Perfect Waterloo Book Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI