Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

noobie question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> noobie question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
noobie question - 6/24/2015 12:08:01 AM   
PittBull

What is the little line extending out from a unit? I first thought it indicated the direction of travel. But that doesn't seem to be the case with a sub.
Thanks for the help. More questions to come I'm sure.

In Him
PittBull
Post #: 1
RE: noobie question - 6/24/2015 4:18:36 AM   
ComDev

Its the velocity vector

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to PittBull)
Post #: 2
RE: noobie question - 6/24/2015 11:12:06 AM   
PittBull

Thanks. OK then; the velocity vector should change as the sub changes direction, correct? The data block shows the heading changing but the vector stays fixed. The vector actually stays "pointed" at the target regardless of which direction the sub is headed. What am I missing here?

In Him
PittBull

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 3
RE: noobie question - 6/24/2015 1:03:35 PM   
p1t1o

The devs are gonna ask for a save file so they can check it out.

Just because it isn't always immediately obvious - pack the save file into a *.ZIP file first, you can't upload it otherwise.

(in reply to PittBull)
Post #: 4
RE: noobie question - 6/24/2015 4:58:28 PM   
PittBull

Thanks. I'll do that.

In Him
PittBull

(in reply to p1t1o)
Post #: 5
RE: noobie question - 6/24/2015 10:23:23 PM   
dcpollay

You mentioned a target. Is the sub assigned to a mission? If so, could it be a targeting vector you're seeing?

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.

(in reply to PittBull)
Post #: 6
RE: noobie question - 6/24/2015 11:08:57 PM   
PittBull

Hi Colonel,
My sub is assigned to an ASuW patrol. I have not found anything about these vectors in the manual yet....still looking. With that said, it could very well be a targeting vector since it was pointing at the neutral target. I don't know the color of a targeting vector though.

Tech support said that I had the "ignore plotted course on attack" checked-off in the ROE settings for the unit. So I am still playing with it.
Thanks.

In Him
PittBull

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 7
RE: noobie question - 6/25/2015 12:08:29 AM   
thewood1

Didn't I answer that question in the tech section?

(in reply to PittBull)
Post #: 8
RE: noobie question - 6/25/2015 12:16:54 AM   
thewood1

btw, I am just a player...and you did have the option checked off...it was right there in ROE options for the unit.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 9
RE: noobie question - 6/25/2015 12:26:52 AM   
thewood1

In fact if you take uncheck the setting in ROE options, the sub goes back to its plotted course and the vector swings on to the plot.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 10
RE: noobie question - 6/25/2015 12:28:44 AM   
PittBull

You are 100% correct that I had that function unchecked. I replayed the tut and the sub moved as I moved the waypoint for direction.
I was simply wondering if there is a different color for a targeting vector. That's all. Just one of many details that I am learning about that you helped point out. I find it a challenge to find specific answers in the book as they come up as I play. Still looking for something about these vectors. It's probably obscure.
Thanks again for helping a freshman learn.

In Him
PittBull

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 11
RE: noobie question - 6/25/2015 12:43:11 AM   
thewood1

The little line coming out is not in the manual because its so standard in naval games. Its almost like wanting to know if ships float. It points to the bearing the unit is actually traveling. All other vector lines are in the manual.

If you are hung up on that one thing, this might not be the game for you. It requires some basic understanding of modern naval warfare and the willingness to learn outside the manual. The manual is more about how to make things happen through the interface. It is not a detailed walk-through of every small detail of how to read maps or basic combat center displays.

(in reply to PittBull)
Post #: 12
RE: noobie question - 6/25/2015 2:50:51 AM   
Curious

Well then, as long as you don't talk down to the o.p. everything will be fine. If you are hung up on that one thing, this might not be the forum for you. It requires some basic understanding of good manners and common courtesy. Maybe the manual should be a detailed walk-through of more details of how to read maps or basic combat center displays.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 13
RE: noobie question - 6/25/2015 4:59:32 AM   
ComDev

Perhaps a screenshot would be a good idea?

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

(in reply to Curious)
Post #: 14
RE: noobie question - 6/25/2015 9:04:03 AM   
p1t1o

@OP:

I can't believe you bought his game without going through basic combat centre training first...

Even folk with military backgrounds still have to look things up, this is an impressively complex sim, nobody expects people to pick up all of the minutae within the first few tries. If they did we wouldn't need all these forums to chat about it!

Just joining this forum is a part of "learning outside the manual".

A Targeting vector is a line that extends ALL the way from your unit to the target (cant remember if it is red or green or what), the velocity vector (VV) is a short line, only about twice the diameter of the unit symbol that points in the direction of movement.

I don't see what this has to do with "ignore plotted course" RoE as the VV should point in the direction of travel regardless of whether you are following waypoints.

OP states that the heading of the sub was displayed as different to the heading of the VV. Of course one possible explanation is confusion between targeting and velocity vectors.

(in reply to ComDev)
Post #: 15
RE: noobie question - 6/25/2015 9:20:46 AM   
thewood1

Look, he got his answer above and acknowledged it. He comes back in here and asks the same question. Look in the tech section. He got his answer and shows he doesn't understand much about how the game works and hasn't made the basic effort of searching the forum. The answer is not the thing he is hung up on. He has several people here trying to answer the question that was already answered. He is at a point of wasting people's and dev's time.

Again, look in the tech section and the timing of his posts. I answered his question and then comes back into a 2nd thread he created and continues the discussion like he never got an answer. The basic understanding is to do a little work beyond the manual and not waste people's time.

(in reply to p1t1o)
Post #: 16
RE: noobie question - 6/25/2015 9:22:05 AM   
thewood1

btw, instead of coming in here and giving me some crap, how about taking the time to answer his question. It probably would take less time than the post you made. And he would get a second opinion.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 17
RE: noobie question - 6/25/2015 10:00:45 AM   
p1t1o

Sorry man, but if you give it, you gotta take it.

If anything was inappropriately offensive, I apologise.

I'm out.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 18
RE: noobie question - 6/25/2015 10:04:57 AM   
thewood1

I gave it...the freakin answer. Try reading all the pertinent info...like the answer he got in the other section to the EXACT same question. I was very quick and concise with my answer. At some point a player has to take it up on himself to understand and research on their own in a complex game like this on.

(in reply to p1t1o)
Post #: 19
RE: noobie question - 6/25/2015 8:27:15 PM   
Dimitris

Guys, calm down please. We all want the same thing.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 20
RE: noobie question - 6/25/2015 9:37:32 PM   
cuthbo2001

A suggestion to avoid conflict . Given that most new players use this forum could we start a new player thread to consolidate questions. That way new players will have one thread to read through

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 21
RE: noobie question - 6/25/2015 9:42:14 PM   
thewood1

There are already a number of helpful starter threads, its just they get lost in the number of stickyed threads or hidden inside other categories.

(in reply to cuthbo2001)
Post #: 22
RE: noobie question - 6/26/2015 3:39:33 AM   
rvseydlitz

The length of the velocity vector would be directly related to its speed, being longer the faster the unit is moving, so that for an aircraft or missile it would be much longer than that for a ship.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 23
RE: noobie question - 6/26/2015 7:41:46 AM   
Dimitris

quote:

ORIGINAL: rvseydlitz
The length of the velocity vector would be directly related to its speed, being longer the faster the unit is moving, so that for an aircraft or missile it would be much longer than that for a ship.

That was our original design, but we found out it was getting very tricky to have reasonable lengths for everything from a 5-knot foot soldier to a Mach-10 MIRV or satellite (yes, we tried logarithmic scales too). So we switched to same length for all vectors regardless of speed.

< Message edited by Sunburn -- 6/26/2015 12:11:54 PM >

(in reply to rvseydlitz)
Post #: 24
RE: noobie question - 6/26/2015 10:12:40 AM   
thewood1

Harpoon at one time had this same issue...the velocity vector on an aircraft became too long and the vector on a ground unit was non-existent.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> noobie question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI