Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 4/16/2015 11:09:03 PM   
Warhorse

BTW, the fix works great, it plays now, so cool!! So I take it the graphics won't be top down anymore if it is recreated? A shame, I made a ton of those graphics, simple, but I like the top down look! Does any one know if Alby, Redleg, Wild Bill are still around?

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 31
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 4/17/2015 12:24:14 AM   
Riitaoja

Nice to see some of the original SPWAW crew. I have enjoyed this game for at least 14 years now and hopefully I can play it for much longer. Thank you for your work Mike and I do like the top down 2D graphics.

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 32
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 4/17/2015 12:46:34 AM   
Warhorse

Thank you sir!! I'm glad you've had fun with it, I had a lot of good times helping out with it, we had a really good team! I'm sorry I haven't been over here in a long time, mostly play Campaign Series now, but just played some SPWAW tonight! Very excited that there is even talk of a new one, I hope it happens!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Riitaoja)
Post #: 33
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 4/17/2015 3:53:02 PM   
Riitaoja

I just played around for fun with editing screenshots from the game. It's amazing how good the graphics in this game still look. Just adding in some extra effects with Paint.Net image editor and the results look quite nice I think.

Why not try and reuse the existing graphics for a remake instead of trying to build everything from scratch. Just create a new executable with modern code and use the existing art with some new effects. Just a thought...

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 34
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 4/17/2015 4:34:54 PM   
Major_Mess

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

.... So I take it the graphics won't be top down anymore if it is recreated? ......

Wait .................... what?

Respectfully Mr. Warhorse - where in the Hell did you get that info??

cheers

MM

Click below. You know you want to!!

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 35
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 4/17/2015 6:20:06 PM   
JEB Davis

I think this is what we want, yes.
Along with some improvements to play.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Riitaoja
Why not try and reuse the existing graphics for a remake instead of trying to build everything from scratch. Just create a new executable with modern code and use the existing art with some new effects. Just a thought...

Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/

(in reply to Riitaoja)
Post #: 36
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 4/17/2015 8:38:06 PM   
Warhorse

@Major Mess-Don't quote me please! I only just started checking in here again, I thought I read yesterday somewhere on here about the graphics maybe going another type, like Panzer Corps or something, IF this ever happens!

I too would like to see the original unit graphics used, top down is great, why change it! I'm currently working on the new Middle East game for Campaign Series, doing unit graphics, and while I like the 3/4 view, doing six different facings for each graphic is a real pain, the top down was great!!

Man, I hope this happens!!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 37
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 4/17/2015 8:54:47 PM   
Major_Mess

No problems Warhorse
I thought something might have slipped by me, that's all.

I concur with you, top down perspective is all that's needed.

If I understand right, you're one of the original developers/programmers/worker bees of this fine game? Si?
That's cool that you're still around and still show the Love towards WaW.

cheers

MM

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 38
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 4/17/2015 9:02:11 PM   
Warhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Major Mess

No problems Warhorse
I thought something might have slipped by me, that's all.

I concur with you, top down perspective is all that's needed.

If I understand right, you're one of the original developers/programmers/worker bees of this fine game? Si?
That's cool that you're still around and still show the Love towards WaW.

cheers

MM

Yes, we started it out from a game by Scott Grasse called Steel Thunder, in itself a mod based on Steel Panthers 3!! I mostly did graphics, but did quite a bit early on with the oob's. I started to make a Korean War Mod for it, but fizzled out when I got into the Campaign Series, so I made the mod for that, took seven years!

I'm thrilled at the amount of interest that still exists after all these years! I think I started with helping Matrix out back in '99, or earlier, the thingie on the profile says 2000, but I remember some problem, and they had to reset like a year or so, too long ago to remember!

I'm always grateful for David Heath to take me on, along with the rest of the team, I wonder ifd any are still about?

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 39
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 4/21/2015 6:35:00 PM   
Mannock

I love the Steel Panther series and I really hope there is a remake. Maybe Matrix could fund it via Kickstarter?

Anyway, what features to stick to:

In my opinion, stick to the original formula. Don't do anything crazy. Someone stated that there was talk about not having it top down. Please don't do that. Keep it the way it was way back when. I also enjoyed the Mega campaigns a lot, so I hope you will do them too.

Always from below, seldom on the same level and never from above. - Mannock revised.

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 40
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 4/28/2015 2:20:23 AM   
JEB Davis

quote:

What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers?

I would like to see an updated SP:WaW.

< Message edited by JEB Davis -- 4/28/2015 3:21:04 AM >

Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 41
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 6/12/2015 8:18:52 AM   
maitrebongo

Hi,

Me too, and the kickstarter idea will be good to show Matrix we are numerous to hope this NEW steel Panthers games.

< Message edited by maitrebongo -- 6/12/2015 9:19:19 AM >

"Impossible is not French" Napoleon Bonaparte

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 42
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 6/24/2015 5:54:04 PM   
Riitaoja

Just in case you have not noticed this yet:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3885806

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Steel Tigers is what you have all been waiting for, no more details for now, but when we can share we will.

Steel Tigers is coming!

< Message edited by Riitaoja -- 6/24/2015 6:55:56 PM >

(in reply to maitrebongo)
Post #: 43
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 6/25/2015 12:57:11 PM   
sami heimola

What's next game after that? Steel Lions? Anyway, no matter what name it is...

(in reply to Riitaoja)
Post #: 44
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 6/26/2015 1:03:05 AM   
budd

Pretty much played SP for 10 straight years, it's what brought me to Matrix a very long time ago, but haven't played in a long time.I didn't read the whole thread don't know if this has been mentioned, a better LOS calculation please, i hated that AI spin move seemed like there was no point to maneuver for a flank or rear shot on basically any unit. The rest i defer to others that have kept playing all these years. I do hope they keep the top down graphics, seems like with all the OOB work people have done over the years it should cut down on that part of the work. Somebody get a hold of Wild Bill

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to sami heimola)
Post #: 45
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 6/26/2015 3:39:55 AM   
wodin

I'd be more optimistic if 2by3 was making the game engine to be honest. It sounds as if Slitherine are making an engine one size fits all kind of thing.

Still I want top down graphics, WEGO\ Simulation turns (this should be the major new feature for SP\Tactical wargame made by 2by3, I also want squad size units and individual vehicles. Campaigns, dynamic weather, detailed damage model, multi story buildings, Cellars, Fortified buildings, sewers, be able to breach walls, leaders, detailed AAR's, award\medal mechanic, detailed unit stats, huge selection of vehicles and weapons, a good close combat mechanic, air support, off map Arty, Counter Battery, well made maps with decent amount of terrain features like walls both high and low, raised railway embankments, ravines, variety of crops and different heights depending on season etc etc, maybe get rid of hexes and use pixel movement this would help solve oddities with regards to terrain abstraction , high level command for very big scenarios so you can give orders to platoon or even company, good selection of SOP's, a good choice of FOW settings\options upto friendly FOW, AI Allies and finally a great TAC AI.

< Message edited by wodin -- 6/26/2015 4:40:34 AM >

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 46
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 6/26/2015 4:23:26 AM   
Major_Mess

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

I'd be more optimistic if 2by3 was making the game engine to be honest. It sounds as if Slitherine are making an engine one size fits all kind of thing.

Still I want top down graphics, WEGO\ Simulation turns (this should be the major new feature for SP\Tactical wargame made by 2by3, I also want squad size units and individual vehicles. Campaigns, dynamic weather, detailed damage model, multi story buildings, Cellars, Fortified buildings, sewers, be able to breach walls, leaders, detailed AAR's, award\medal mechanic, detailed unit stats, huge selection of vehicles and weapons, a good close combat mechanic, air support, off map Arty, Counter Battery, well made maps with decent amount of terrain features like walls both high and low, raised railway embankments, ravines, variety of crops and different heights depending on season etc etc, maybe get rid of hexes and use pixel movement this would help solve oddities with regards to terrain abstraction , high level command for very big scenarios so you can give orders to platoon or even company, good selection of SOP's, a good choice of FOW settings\options upto friendly FOW, AI Allies and finally a great TAC AI.

This

MM

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 47
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 6/26/2015 4:47:21 PM   
Erik Rutins

The way to look at this is that it's a full court, full company press. We are giving this our all and giving Gary and Joel every bit of support we can to make this as great as we possibly can. IMHO that's great news for all SP fans.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 48
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 6/26/2015 9:05:35 PM   
Warhorse

quote:

The way to look at this is that it's a full court, full company press. We are giving this our all and giving Gary and Joel every bit of support we can to make this as great as we possibly can. IMHO that's great news for all SP fans.

Regards,

- Erik

I agree, Erik, especially since WAW is just pissing me off lately with little problems here and there! Glad to hear something is in the works!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 49
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 6/27/2015 10:27:16 AM   
wodin

Good news..can't wait to see some more info on features.
quote:

Regards,

- Erik

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 50
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 6/27/2015 11:14:43 AM   
Riitaoja

Well we have the original designers of Steel Panthers and the founder of SSI making a new Steel Panthers game so I dont think we need to worry.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 51
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 6/27/2015 11:51:41 AM   
sami heimola

Hmm now we could to speculate is it only WW2-based or maybe WW2->modern times game (like SP3) ...

(in reply to Riitaoja)
Post #: 52
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 6/27/2015 11:57:29 AM   
Warhorse

Hmmm indeed!!

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Post #: 53
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 6/28/2015 5:41:55 AM   
Falcon1

To be a true spiritual successor it will have to be extremely flexible as far as modability and scenario design, just like SPWAW and TOAW3 are. And it must be turn based and the same scale, no "real time" stuff.

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 54
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 6/28/2015 6:04:21 AM   
wodin

OK just read that the STUB engine i.e Battle Academy is the basis of the new Archon engine that will be used for Steel Tigers....make your own conclusions.

From Pip over at Slitherine

"We are continuing to support the STUB engine going forward, and it is the basis for the new Archon engine too.

Cheers

Pip"

< Message edited by wodin -- 6/28/2015 7:04:39 AM >

(in reply to Falcon1)
Post #: 55
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 7/19/2015 6:05:51 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

a "window mode/full screen" setting + make it more compatible with present-day large monitor screens...

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 56
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 8/23/2015 3:43:21 AM   
Alby

wow a lot of familiar faces in this thread lol

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 57
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 9/23/2015 12:02:48 PM   
sami heimola

Hmm is "volume knob/meter" mentioned yet? It's pity that SPWAW had no any volume knob/meter thing for those players who like to listen mp3 etc. music during playing... Anyone agree?

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 58
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 9/23/2015 4:05:36 PM   
Alby

There is options to turn off music and sounds

Post #: 59
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 9/24/2015 12:23:47 PM   
sami heimola

Alby, yes I know but if I would like to listening music (mp3 files for example) during game, SPWAW sounds will "cover" music quite effective way because loss of any volume knob... And I like to hear both at same time (but SPWAW's sounds bit lower if any way possible in background).

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI