Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Unable to Start Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Unable to Start Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Unable to Start Game - 6/13/2015 1:16:20 PM   
aniketos

Hello,

I just purchased the game thanks to the sale, I have been eying this game for quite a few years but, due to school, I decided to wait until I finished. Now that I am finished, I purchased the game. However, after installing it, I ran into some problems with both the version I downloaded from Matrix and the one on Steam.

First, to the Matrix version. The installation was very smooth and I had no issues. However, when I went to start the game I did not even get to the menu screen, let alone even a loading screen. I attached a picture of the problem below. I did some searching here on the forums to see if anyone had anything similar and the closest I got was something about windows media player being 99% of the problems people face when trying to play the game. Well, I have WMP and use it all of the time so I suspect that that is not an issue. However, my computer is relatively old and I tried updating Internet Explorer to version 11 as noted in the FAQ in the stickied section of the Tech Support forum. My computer cannot even support 11, however I updated it to 9 anyways. So, I am stuck with that problem. OH! I almost forgot! I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it with a new file path but that did not work either. (It's my first time using this forum in years but I tried attaching a picture so I hope it works.)

Now onto Steam. I actually got a lot further with Steam much to my surprise! Got a menu screen detailing access to the manual, playing the game, modding, along with the links to this website and forum. However, once I started the game... I got the intro and then black screen with the music and I could mouse over something. The cursor when from that little arrow to the text indication, telling me there was something I could type in. But because all I received was a black screen, I could do nothing.

I had always assumed that I wouldn't have any issues running this game but... it seems that I was really, really wrong.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Unable to Start Game - 6/13/2015 3:07:04 PM   
Bingeling

Try to run the redistributables that is supplied with the game.

They are inside the _CommonRedist inside the main game folder.

There could be a crash report in the following folder in your documents library:

...(Documents)\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe

The name should be rather obvious if there is one. If it exists, paste the contents into a post here.

This is the same stuff that was suggested in: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3869951
It can be worth a look.

(in reply to aniketos)
Post #: 2
RE: Unable to Start Game - 6/13/2015 6:04:16 PM   
aniketos

Hey Bingeling,

So, I fiddled around with the Steam version and it works! Quite flawlessly it seems. I verified the game cache and next thing I know it's playing. (Set up a fully automated game to see if it would crash and nothing happened.) So good news there!!

Now as for the Matrix version. I am still having some difficulties. I reinstalled the game, ran the DXSETUP exe and it reported a problem and created two files, a DXError log and a DirectX log. I have tried attaching them here for all to see but no luck. Oh yeah! No crash reports were found other than the two I just mentioned. I checked earlier today for another game that I had trouble playing (thanks to the Steam sale) and I have DirectX 11 if you wish to know. The forum isn't allowing me to copy & paste the DXError log up stating that I cannot post phone numbers, emails, and links for 10 days or something.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: Unable to Start Game - 7/4/2015 12:33:49 PM   
aniketos

So I'm going to try and copy & paste my problem again...:

Below is the DirectX Error Log
--------------------
[11/28/13 20:50:49] module: dxupdate(Mar 31 2006), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 5640, function: DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn

Failed API: SetupIterateCabinet()
Error: (32) - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Unable to iterate through E:\directx9\Apr2005_d3dx9_25_x64.cab. The file may be damaged.

--------------------
[11/28/13 20:50:49] module: dsetup32(Mar 31 2006), file: dxupdate.cpp, line: 280, function: CSetup::InstallPlugIn

DirectXUpdateInstallPlugIn() failed.

--------------------
[11/28/13 20:50:49] module: dsetup32(Mar 31 2006), file: setup.cpp, line: 1701, function: CSetup::SetupForDirectX

InstallPlugIn() failed.

Sweet! It worked!! Anyway, the DirectX Log is very very long (clocking in at 138 pages) so I feel quite dubious about posting it up for all to see.

< Message edited by aniketos -- 7/4/2015 1:37:14 PM >

(in reply to aniketos)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Unable to Start Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI