Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Focus Pacific

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Focus Pacific Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/29/2015 2:31:05 AM   
CaptBeefheart

By the way, thanks for the advice on adding stacking limits, Para. The pwhexe file from DaBabes with stacking limits and extended map is fully compatible with your scenario. I'm still learning how this game works.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to paradigmblue)
Post #: 211
RE: Focus Pacific - 5/29/2015 11:00:59 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue

Sorry Hans, I should have something for you soon - I've been absolutely swamped by work these past two weeks, and haven't had the chance to get to the mod.

I'm crossing my fingers that this Sunday after I get back from work I'll have a window of time to get something to you.

No worries. BTS is keeping me occupied. I do appreciate the offer to do it for me.

Hans

Post #: 212
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/12/2015 2:10:39 PM   
cdnice

Hey PB.

I know you mentioned you have been busy at work, is there an ETA for the next update?

Thanks!

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 213
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/13/2015 2:15:52 AM   
paradigmblue

quote:

ORIGINAL: cdnice

Hey PB.

I know you mentioned you have been busy at work, is there an ETA for the next update?

Thanks!

I actually have a new version done now that includes additional Canadian ships, as well as giving Japan more modern aircraft along their border with Manchuko with the aviation support to go with it. I'm testing it in an AI game now. If I get to January without any hiccups I'll release it.

I'll be honest, I'm not having the same issues that Hans did with Japan not doing anything vs the Soviets - its 12/23 in my AI game, and Japan has already destroyed two of my border forts and has destroyed most of the Soviet submarine fleet in concentrated bombing raids.

First priority though is to catch up some turns with General Patton with our game - he's been patient with me and I need to start turning over turns on a more regular basis for him.

(in reply to cdnice)
Post #: 214
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/15/2015 3:20:27 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I'm at work, but a couple of things I've noticed are a B-17G squadron at Eastern U.S. (in mid-43) and a USAAF fighter squadron just labelled "2."

I'm starting to think your additions to the Allied forces are pretty significant. Besides the French, there are all those four-digit VMF and VMSB squadrons and extra AVG ones. I'd be happy to take on Lowpe again. I have a feeling an Allied punching bag would make him feel a lot better at the moment.

EDIT: I also seem to be able to airlift motorized support.

Cheers,
CC

< Message edited by Commander Cody -- 6/15/2015 7:57:56 AM >

Post #: 215
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/15/2015 11:48:25 PM   
paradigmblue

Please tell me what the unit ID numbers are on those air groups - It's tough to look them up sometime in the editor without that information, and I'll get them fixed with this next release.

Load cost on motorized support may have gotten a touch smaller, which is going to make both sides a little more mobile.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 216
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/16/2015 7:37:29 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Will do. I'll try that this evening.

Cheers,
CC

Post #: 217
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/16/2015 10:25:25 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

Hey PB.

Thanks!

I actually have a new version done now that includes additional Canadian ships, as well as giving Japan more modern aircraft along their border with Manchuko with the aviation support to go with it. I'm testing it in an AI game now. If I get to January without any hiccups I'll release it.

I'll be honest, I'm not having the same issues that Hans did with Japan not doing anything vs the Soviets - its 12/23 in my AI game, and Japan has already destroyed two of my border forts and has destroyed most of the Soviet submarine fleet in concentrated bombing raids.

First priority though is to catch up some turns with General Patton with our game - he's been patient with me and I need to start turning over turns on a more regular basis for him.

I did only give it 4 turns before deciding the AI wasn't responding to Russia. However, I saw the complete lack of air cover for Toyahara as an ominous predictor.

Has the AI put up an air defense over Toyahara in your game, or are you just looking the other way and refusing to take advantage (a tactic every AI player has to adopt now and then).

My BTS game has just hit a serious glitch with Bogue class CVE upgrades so maybe I'll play a few more turns on this.

Hans

Post #: 218
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/16/2015 12:57:04 PM   
CaptBeefheart

Paradigm:

ID 3602 is the B-17G
ID 3605 is an early B-29B I just found
ID 2283 is the fighter squadron with the "2" rename

Cheers,
CC

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 219
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/16/2015 4:37:54 PM   
paradigmblue

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Paradigm:

ID 3602 is the B-17G
ID 3605 is an early B-29B I just found
ID 2283 is the fighter squadron with the "2" rename

Cheers,
CC

Great, thanks Cody.

Post #: 220
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/16/2015 4:45:22 PM   
paradigmblue

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

quote:

quote:

Hey PB.

Thanks!

I did only give it 4 turns before deciding the AI wasn't responding to Russia. However, I saw the complete lack of air cover for Toyahara as an ominous predictor.

Has the AI put up an air defense over Toyahara in your game, or are you just looking the other way and refusing to take advantage (a tactic every AI player has to adopt now and then).

My BTS game has just hit a serious glitch with Bogue class CVE upgrades so maybe I'll play a few more turns on this.

You're right - the lack of air cover was definitely an issue. To help, I added some more modern planes and some additional squadrons on the home islands and near the Soviet border. Your bombers based near Vladivostok can still put some hurt on Japanese shipping, but it will be a battle for air superiority.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 221
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/21/2015 2:36:37 PM   
Lowpe

So where do we stand on this mod now?

Active Russia from day 1 I gather? Enhanced Canadians, Better IJ Air versus the Soviets.

Did you tone down Japan's oil,fuel, resources?

Many thanks...

Post #: 222
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/21/2015 5:08:56 PM   
paradigmblue

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

So where do we stand on this mod now?

Active Russia from day 1 I gather? Enhanced Canadians, Better IJ Air versus the Soviets.

Did you tone down Japan's oil,fuel, resources?

Many thanks...

Newest update is now posted. Changes are as you mentioned, plus the addition of the planned Dutch battlecruisers.

To update, simply re-download the scen files from dropbox. You will also need to download two new art files from the art folder - AnShil0846 from the AlliedShip_Transp folder, and AnSide0846 from the AlliedShip_Back folder.

A warning - this mod now plays VERY differently than stock. Day 1 Soviets open up an entirely new front in the war, which means that many LCUs that the Japanese player would normally buy out of Manchuko need to be used to neutralize the Soviets. Vladivostok, with its strategic position on the Sea of Japan, represents a very real threat to Japan as a sub base and as a an airfield for the Soviet's rather nasty TB3 Torpedo bomber. I'd recommend either capturing or neutralizing Soviet holdings along their Eastern coast early on. The Soviets can provide an alternate source of oil for Japan - directly North of Hokkaido the Soviets have two good sources of oil that could be an alternate goal of Japanese expansion. To better simulate a Japan that is ready to engage in an offensive campaign vs the Soviets, modern IJA aircraft groups have been added to the front, along with greatly increased aircraft support on the ground, allowing the Japanese player to field more planes in this theater. Those planes are needed - in play-testing I've found the early Soviet air-frames to be surprisingly potent.

The air game is significantly different as well. The addition of a the Skyrocket - which in this alternate history had it's developmental difficulties overcome - gives the allies a early-game counter to the Zero. Japanese air-frame and pilot losses in theaters where this aircraft is operating will be higher, and Japan will need to be extremely aggressive in increasing their aircraft production to both maintain air superiority in the early game and to keep up as allied aircraft production ramps up through 1942 and 1943. Starting Japanese aircraft pools of some key air-frames like the Zero have been increased to help give the Japanese player a little breathing room before the enlarged factories spool up their production.

Japanese resources, oil and supplies on the home islands are significantly reduced, but are still many times larger than in stock. The purpose of keeping the stocks high is to give the Japanese player the opportunity to embark on the monumental aircraft production program that they will need to stay competitive.

Stronger allied defenses will mean that the Japanese player will need to commit their carriers and battleships more often than in stock to achieve their objectives. Fortunately for Japan, Focus Pacific gives Japan both carriers and battleships to spare. My advice to a Japanese player would be to slow down their early expansion and be methodical about their invasions, ensuring that they have carrier and bombardment support every step of the way. In this mod the allies don't achieve carrier parity until about 6 months later than in stock, which should give Japan some of the time they need to expand more methodically. If the allied player Sir Robins however, that will free up Japanese carrier strength to aggressively raid.

The changes to the allies mean that they can play a much more active defense, especially in the Dutch East Indies. The allied player will have to decide how they want to play the Soviets, whose oil assets make a juicy first target for Japan. In any case, the Aleutians will be a more important theater, because they stand in the way of Japanese access to an even juicier oil source - Alaska's Prudhoe Bay.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 223
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/21/2015 9:00:25 PM   
ny59giants

Having fun right now playing two games of BTS Lite to try this out, but have a few suggestions for China.

China:
1) Change a few more Corps that can be bought out (PPs). Thus, an Allied player can move them to India and looks like now Russia for total filling out their TO&E. For RA and BTS, I increased the Chinese devices by about 33 to 50% to help them.
2) Make the bases and LCUs be able to be air lifted from base to base just like you can do in DBB with the Dutch. I haven't looked in the Editor to see what needs to be changed (base commands and/or LCUs), but it would be nice if they could do so. Then, add a few more DC-2 to pool or have a steady replacement rate for them so that single 25 plane group can operate fully for some time.

Post #: 224
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/21/2015 10:32:06 PM   
paradigmblue

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Having fun right now playing two games of BTS Lite to try this out, but have a few suggestions for China.

China:
1) Change a few more Corps that can be bought out (PPs). Thus, an Allied player can move them to India and looks like now Russia for total filling out their TO&E. For RA and BTS, I increased the Chinese devices by about 33 to 50% to help them.
2) Make the bases and LCUs be able to be air lifted from base to base just like you can do in DBB with the Dutch. I haven't looked in the Editor to see what needs to be changed (base commands and/or LCUs), but it would be nice if they could do so. Then, add a few more DC-2 to pool or have a steady replacement rate for them so that single 25 plane group can operate fully for some time.

In Focus Pacific, Chunking receives substantially more supplies per turn, and Chinese devices (especially squads) are increased considerably over stock. This enables Chinese LCUs to fill out without having to go to India.

Also, early game transport aircraft in that theater are substantially increased, both in receiving more air-frames per month, and also with additional transport squadrons stationed at Laisho.

I think that these two changes should address most of your concerns. I'll look at changing the HQs as well.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 225
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/22/2015 4:58:12 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Wow, sounds like quite a different game from the one Lowpe and I tested. I'll give it a shot vs. computer IJ in the next few days.

Cheers,
CC

Post #: 226
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/23/2015 7:33:24 PM   
Lowpe

Downloaded and played a day briefly, then looked at Japan's Industry.

Honshu cranks out a positive 15K resources a day. I will have to look a little more at this, but I think it would be better to see Honshu having a deficit per day, so that resources need to be shipped in.

I will spend some more time on it and come up with some better ideas re Japan's starting industry.

Post #: 227
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/25/2015 5:20:38 AM   
paradigmblue

General Patton has pointed out some holes in the upgrade paths for the Russian and Canadian ships, as well as a lack of Russian ship reinforcements. I'm not sure where these would come from, or if the Soviets had any naval construction yards in the East, but it's worth looking into. It's probably a really, really bad idea at this point, with all the complexity I've already added into the game, but I'm really tempted to mod in more of the German Navy as well.

Lowpe, you're absolutely right - I focused on decreasing the starting supply and oil and not as much as the resource production as I should have. I have toned that down quite a bit. Once I do a pass on the Soviet and Canadian Navies, I'll upload a new version.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 228
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/25/2015 10:46:52 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

General Patton has pointed out some holes in the upgrade paths for the Russian and Canadian ships, as well as a lack of Russian ship reinforcements. I'm not sure where these would come from, or if the Soviets had any naval construction yards in the East, but it's worth looking into. It's probably a really, really bad idea at this point, with all the complexity I've already added into the game, but I'm really tempted to mod in more of the German Navy as well.

Lowpe, you're absolutely right - I focused on decreasing the starting supply and oil and not as much as the resource production as I should have. I have toned that down quite a bit. Once I do a pass on the Soviet and Canadian Navies, I'll upload a new version.

AndyMac's Ironman Nasty and Nasty Nasty have significant German components. They would be good sources to cull from.

Hans

Post #: 229
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/25/2015 11:39:21 AM   
Lowpe

The present Germans are from Nasty Nasty already. Lots of excellent German forces.

How about Italians?

Can there be withdraw dates for the Germans or is that just an Allied feature?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 230
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/25/2015 1:53:50 PM   
CaptBeefheart

Paradigm: Found some inopportune name changes. This happened on Dec 9, 1943:

quote:

Group 'No.119 Sqn RAAF' changes name to 'No.120 Sqn RAAF'
Group 'No.121 Sqn RAAF' changes name to 'No.120 Sqn RAAF'
Group 'No.122 Sqn RAAF' changes name to 'No.120 Sqn RAAF'
Group 'No.123 Sqn RAAF' changes name to 'No.120 Sqn RAAF'
Group 'No.124 Sqn RAAF' changes name to 'No.120 Sqn RAAF'
Group 'No.117 Sqn RAAF' changes name to 'No.120 Sqn RAAF'
Group 'No.118 Sqn RAAF' changes name to 'No.120 Sqn RAAF'
Group 'No.120 Sqn RAAF' changes name to 'No.120 Sqn RAAF'
Group 'No.116 Sqn RAAF' changes name to 'No.120 Sqn RAAF'
Group 'No.130 Sqn RAAF' changes name to '0'
Group 'No.131 Sqn RAAF' changes name to '0'
Group 'No.132 Sqn RAAF' changes name to '0'
Group 'No.133 Sqn RAAF' changes name to '0'
Group 'No.134 Sqn RAAF' changes name to '0'
Group 'No.135 Sqn RAAF' changes name to '0'
Group 'No.136 Sqn RAAF' changes name to '0'
Group 'No.137 Sqn RAAF' changes name to '0'

Cheers,
CC

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 231
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/25/2015 4:59:20 PM   
paradigmblue

Thanks Cody.

Post #: 232
RE: Focus Pacific - 6/27/2015 12:29:25 AM   
btd64

quote:

I'm pleased to announce that the newest version of the mod has been posted on dropbox, with the changes detailed in the previous post, as well as a few others:

*The addition of ARDs to the mod
*The inclusion of the rest of the planned Alaska class CBs
*Additional base hexes in Alaska, including Prudhoe Bay, which has oil but no infrastructure. For a Japanese player having trouble in the DEI, this could be another options for getting Oil to the Home Islands - but shipping to and from Prodhoe in the winter will be murder on your tankers!
*An accelerated timeline for the Midway class CVBs

One thing I was not able to get to - adding all the French Air Art. I'm having significant difficulties putting the top and mask files in the correct slots and having them match up pixel-perfect. Part of my difficulty is that I'm very bad with photoshop, and struggle every time I have to edit these files. If anyone has a little more experience working with the top, side and mask .bmps that can help me add the plane art in, it would be greatly appreciated.

To upgrade to the newest version (if you've been keeping up on previous versions):

Download the new SCEN files
Download AnSide0499.bmp from the Art>AlliedShip_Back Folder
Download AnShil0499.bmp from the Art>AlliedShip_Transp Folder
Download A_PlaneSide.bmp, Aptop_Alpha.bmp and Aptop.bmp from the Art>Plane Art Folder

If you're new to the mod, use the instructions listed previously in the thread.

Para, Send an email or PM to el sid again. He has a working knowledge of how to set up Tops and Side and such. He is building stuff for the RHS mod....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

Post #: 233
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/5/2015 10:44:17 AM   
HansBolter

Just started your new version. Have some feedback.
The base Sami is missing in China. This base was added after release.
Without it the I16s in Hami can't stage anywhere useful. Can only stage deeper into the nether regions of China at Urumchi, which is practically out the Wasu.
I had to disband the three squadrons to get them out.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 7/5/2015 3:03:19 PM >

Hans

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 234
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/5/2015 1:39:22 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Just started your new version. Have some feedback.
The base Sami is missing in China. This base was added after release.
Without it the I16s in Hami can't stage anywhere useful. Can only stage deeper into the nether regions of China at Urumchi, which is practically out the Wasu.
I had to do and the three squadrons to get them out.

Hans,
I'll take a look and re add the base if it's missing from the current set of files.
Thank you for the input. Much appreciated....GP

Hans, you were correct. This is now fixed. Other fixes and additions will be available as soon as Para double checks everything.
More feedback needed.
Thank you....GP

< Message edited by General Patton -- 7/5/2015 3:27:07 PM >

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 235
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/8/2015 12:39:49 AM   
cdnice

Hey,

I just noticed that the AK Admiral Chase is scheduled to arrive twice, once in Aden and once in Cristobel on/around December 24th. One is assigned to Pacific Fleet and one to Southeast Asia.

< Message edited by cdnice -- 7/10/2015 2:58:54 AM >

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 236
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/8/2015 2:55:38 AM   
btd64

quote:

Hey,

I just notices that the AK Admiral Chase is scheduled to arrive twice, once in Aden and once in Cristobel on/around December 24th. One is assigned to Pacific Fleet and one to Southeast Asia.

Thanks for finding the double. There two different classes, but I decided to check all AK's and found 27 dups. Most will be simple fixes. Just delete the middle initial or add a middle initial. The other option would be to delete the dup ship. I don't want to do that.
cdnice, keep looking. Para will be getting the FINAL set of files from me this weekend. So we want to make sure everything is good....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to cdnice)
Post #: 237
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/10/2015 2:47:51 AM   
btd64

OK,
I have fixed the missing Chinese base, Fixed 27 duplicated allied named AK type ships, created upgrade paths for the Canadian CL's, and the Soviet CA's, DD's, some xAK's and some Subs. Para has the files. Hopefully in the next few days we will have a much cleaner scenario. will keep you all posted....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 238
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/10/2015 2:55:46 AM   
paradigmblue

Thanks for all your hard work Patton. I should have time to do another vetting with them in the next couple of days.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 239
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/11/2015 1:11:53 AM   
cdnice

Thank you guys! I am almost to January and have not noticed any issues. Good fight going on with Japanese and Russians although a few Russian destroyers have made kamikaze runs at home island ports.

< Message edited by cdnice -- 7/11/2015 2:12:18 AM >

Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Focus Pacific Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI