Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Focus Pacific

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Focus Pacific Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/12/2015 1:21:07 AM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: cdnice

Thank you guys! I am almost to January and have not noticed any issues. Good fight going on with Japanese and Russians although a few Russian destroyers have made kamikaze runs at home island ports.

Cdnice, shortly we will be releasing a much more complete scenario. So you have two choices, keep going with your current game or wait for the new version. You can unzip the new files but I'm not sure you will get all of the new features....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to cdnice)
Post #: 241
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/13/2015 4:29:27 AM   
paradigmblue

I'm excited to release Focus Pacific in a much more user-friendly form - an installer .exe that will automatically update all the files that you need to play Focus Pacific.

To use, simply create a new, updated install of WitP:AE. Run the installer, and ensure that the destination directory is that of your new install of WitP:AE. You may have to edit the text of the destination directory in the installer dialogue to do so - by default the installer will try to make a new folder inside your WitP:AE install rather than use your WitP:AE folder, even if you click on that folder as the target destination. For example, if you select "War In the Pacific Admiral's Edition" as your target destination, the installer will select a target destination of "War In the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Focus Pacific Beta". You will need to delete the "Focus Pacific Beta" portion of the target destination so it does not create that new folder and instead installs correctly to your WitP folder.

Once you allow the installer to complete, Focus Pacific will be playable on that install.

This is a huge improvement over the old system of manually replacing and adding every file by hand. It takes a vanilla install of WitP:AE, and makes the following changes:

*Adds Focus Pacific as a playable scenario in slot 71
*Adds the extended map
*Adds all of the ship and plane art for the scenario
*Adds Chemkid's Yamato Damashii extended map art to the game

Please try it out and let me know if it works for you!

If it does, I will make a new thread for the mod, as a new player has to read through 9 pages of posts right now to know what they are getting in to. This release will mark the first "beta" release for the mod, which I know consider out of the alpha stage, thanks to the tireless work of General Patton, Commander Cody, Lowpe and others.

< Message edited by paradigmblue -- 7/13/2015 5:44:29 AM >

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 242
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/13/2015 12:01:44 PM   
HansBolter

Haven't downloaded the new version but got 17 turns into the prior version over the weekend.

Toyahara is still completely undefended.

Been plastering it every day with no response from the Japanese.

Hans

(in reply to paradigmblue)
Post #: 243
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/14/2015 12:14:40 AM   
cdnice

Woo Hoo!! There goes my week and weekend.......and my wife hate's you.......

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 244
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/14/2015 12:26:33 AM   
cdnice

Just noticed that the extra Canadian destroyers (originally envisioned to be extra U.S. saved from scrappers and tasked to RCN) are all coming in fully operational. They had some damage in the last version to denote the time that would have been needed to get them out of mothballs and into serviceable condition.

Ditto for submarines.

< Message edited by cdnice -- 7/14/2015 2:26:31 AM >

(in reply to cdnice)
Post #: 245
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/14/2015 1:26:18 AM   
cdnice

I also noticed that all the ships in Balboa in turn one disappear and reappear in San Francisco on turn two. Is this supposed to happen?

(in reply to cdnice)
Post #: 246
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/14/2015 5:41:43 PM   
HansBolter

My game is at December 24th and I wanted to report on what a huge psychological effect Prudhoe Bay is having on my mindset as an Allied player.

Even knowing the AI is likely never gonna exploit it I am completely rethinking my early game garrison strategy.

With a production of 2k oil and 10k stockpiled at game start getting a garrison there and to the bases along the Alaska coast seems like an absolute priority.

Can't imagine how this will open thing up in a head to head games.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 7/14/2015 6:41:05 PM >

Hans

(in reply to cdnice)
Post #: 247
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/14/2015 7:03:39 PM   
btd64

quote:

That's the price we pay sometimes. In regards to your last post, did you download and install the new .exe version? I ran a one turn test and the ships were still at Panama....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to cdnice)
Post #: 248
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/14/2015 7:05:18 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

My game is at December 24th and I wanted to report on what a huge psychological effect Prudhoe Bay is having on my mindset as an Allied player.

Even knowing the AI is likely never gonna exploit it I am completely rethinking my early game garrison strategy.

With a production of 2k oil and 10k stockpiled at game start getting a garrison there and to the bases along the Alaska coast seems like an absolute priority.

Hans, I'm going to find out soon....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 249
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/14/2015 11:52:34 PM   
wdolson

People can do whatever they want in a mod, but I think putting an active oil field at Prudhoe Bay is a bit like adding heat seeking missiles or F-4 Phantoms to the game. The technology to even find the oil on the North Slope didn't exist until the late 1950s/ early 1960s and the technology to develop the field was new in the late 1960s. The science and technology of oil exploration is very complex and a lot of technological hurdles have had to be jumped to get to the production that is happening today.

Seismology which was the science used to find the oil on the North Slope was in its infancy in the 1930s/40s. Some early companies were out there by the late 1930s, but processing the data was a horribly labor intensive job until digital computers were developed and became available in the 1950s. Before computers to process the data, you'd end up with a sea of numbers that needed to be crunched by hand. By the early 1960s Geology had been revolutionized with the new theory of plate tectonics (originally proposed by Alfred Wegner around 1910, but he was thought a crazy nut by his peers) which vastly expanded the knowledge of how the Earth was put together and allowed for more targeted Geology when searching for oil.

Anyway, it's just a bit of a nit for me. My older sister is a petroleum Geologist, it was dinner time conversation at her house when I was a teenager. Her husband at the time was working exploration on the North Slope, so there was a lot of talk of that too. Her specialty is California oil development. The largest oil field in the continental US is just outside Bakersfield, CA.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 250
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/15/2015 12:41:07 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

It is not a problem for Japan, in this mod, if Japan wants it they will take it. A joint India/Alaska/Canada campaign is definitely doable. Plus Russia.

I am a little worried about the viability of Russia since it is active since day 1. I sincerely think Russia doesn't generate enough supplies, so in effect there are two Chinas' now....lots of land combat VP for Japan. The Japanese garrison of Manchuko is huge.

Russia does have time to evacuate and avoid losing half their starting Army however....

I have not downloaded the latest, looked a while back and Japan's starting economy still way too strong. I believe that was one of the next changes to be made.

A viable strategy in this game is to hit the continental United States. A landing at Coos Bay for example, and some paratroops to Ogden could be very, very scary. It would mean going easy on Russia, but no other sacrifices early on. With the Liz, it opens up a huge amount of strategic bombing to an aggressive Japanese player.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 7/15/2015 1:43:32 AM >

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 251
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/15/2015 1:18:01 AM   
paradigmblue

Don't under-estimate the strength of the Soviet border forts they have arrayed around Manchuko Lowpe. I've found that the Japanese need at least 2 divisions to take each one in a timely manner. Don't get me wrong, Japan can smash through those forts, but it's not a cakewalk, and the Japanese forces need to be consolidated in a few spearheads rather than pushing across the map. The Soviets have a lot of great artillery and strategic depth to slow down a Japanese advance. Also, I've found the Mig-3 to be a very nasty early game fighter, so air superiority isn't a sure thing for the Japanese, and there are lots of places where the Soviets can slow the advance of the Japanese through bombing.

The Soviets are most vulnerable at Vladivostok, where the Japanese can conceivably cut it and the hexes around it off from the rest of the Soviet Union by assaulting the thin strip of coastline just North of the city.

As far as Soviet supplies, supply shortage hasn't been an issue for me yet, and I have a vs AI game in late April right now.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 252
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/15/2015 1:18:48 AM   
paradigmblue

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Patton

That's the price we pay sometimes. In regards to your last post, did you download and install the new .exe version? I ran a one turn test and the ships were still at Panama....GP

Did the installer work correctly for you Patton?

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 253
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/15/2015 1:00:25 PM   
cdnice

quote:

quote:

I did yes, love the installer by the way!

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 254
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/15/2015 1:15:36 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue

Don't under-estimate the strength of the Soviet border forts they have arrayed around Manchuko Lowpe. I've found that the Japanese need at least 2 divisions to take each one in a timely manner. Don't get me wrong, Japan can smash through those forts, but it's not a cakewalk, and the Japanese forces need to be consolidated in a few spearheads rather than pushing across the map. The Soviets have a lot of great artillery and strategic depth to slow down a Japanese advance. Also, I've found the Mig-3 to be a very nasty early game fighter, so air superiority isn't a sure thing for the Japanese, and there are lots of places where the Soviets can slow the advance of the Japanese through bombing.

The Soviets are most vulnerable at Vladivostok, where the Japanese can conceivably cut it and the hexes around it off from the rest of the Soviet Union by assaulting the thin strip of coastline just North of the city.

As far as Soviet supplies, supply shortage hasn't been an issue for me yet, and I have a vs AI game in late April right now.

The Russian air force can be really nasty...and it has implications across the map.

In a normal game as Japan I would attack further north in an attempt to cut the railroad and supply to Vladivostock and let them starve, probably have to bomb the industry.

However, I am not sure how it would play out with Russia active from day 1. Something to look forward to.

Post #: 255
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/15/2015 10:28:57 PM   
paradigmblue

quote:

I did yes, love the installer by the way!

Glad the installer worked!

This will allow me to release new installers as "patches", which means that after you install the full mod, I can release new installers that just modify the necessary files. Keeping up to date on the mod will just require running the most recent "patch" installer, which will be a small download. This will streamline workflow and remove the need for any manually updating of any file on the player's part.

I'll look into the Canadian ship issue this weekend - though I haven't been able to replicate the teleporting ships bug - and I've also added some Japanese fighters to Toyohara, as well as tweaked some French aircraft dates. Clemson and Wickes class DDs under Canadian command will start the game with 10 system damage to represent the time needed to get them back into active service. Those changes will be out in a patch this weekend.

< Message edited by paradigmblue -- 7/16/2015 12:44:44 AM >

(in reply to cdnice)
Post #: 256
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/15/2015 11:45:02 PM   
btd64

quote:

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue

quote:

Did the installer work correctly for you Patton?

Para, Yes it worked OK. Needs a little man handling, but works fine. I've been under the weather the last two days so haven't had much energy let alone time to look at a lot, but I'll take a look at the ship thing tonight and send you an email with my findings....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

Post #: 257
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/16/2015 1:27:23 AM   
btd64

I have fixed a problem with the Admiralty T class DD upgrade path. The AAA value was decreasing with the upgrade instead of increasing. So I added a couple more 20mm's. The new files have been sent to Para.

cdnice, I played a short game to dec 10th and did not have the naval units at Balboa warp to San Diego. I'm not sure what happened with your game, but my suggestion would be to restart and see what happens. If it continues, Reinstall a fresh copy of WITPAE and call it WITPAE FOCUS PACIFIC and the short cut FOCUS PACIFIC. Makes it easier to find. Then update to the latest version. Then install the Focus .exe file and try again to run the game....GP

< Message edited by General Patton -- 7/16/2015 2:27:33 AM >

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 258
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/16/2015 11:18:05 AM   
HansBolter

GP,

Please consider deploying some Japanese fighters to Toyahara ay game start.

The AI won't move any there to cover it's vulnerable factories, but if you put some there at game start they will defend their base.

It's still a huge hole for any game against the Japanese AI.

Hans

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 259
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/16/2015 4:34:08 PM   
paradigmblue

quote:

GP,

Please consider deploying some Japanese fighters to Toyahara ay game start.

The AI won't move any there to cover it's vulnerable factories, but if you put some there at game start they will defend their base.

It's still a huge hole for any game against the Japanese AI.

Hi Hans, I've added a Sentai of Zeroes to Toyohara to go along with the Kates that are stationed there. I should have a new release out this weekend with the change.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 260
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/16/2015 6:40:34 PM   
cdnice

I did a second try and they did not warp, weird but not an issue now.

I have spent the last two nights, probably at least 8-10 hours setting up for turn one and I am still not done! This is huge.......Any further consideration to adding the Russian delay back in? I dread trying to set them up.....

This mod is set perfect for those who like to play in teams, each managing a theatre and combining their efforts.

Great work guys, loving it....but my wife still hates you....

Post #: 261
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/17/2015 2:16:22 AM   
btd64

quote:

I did a second try and they did not warp, weird but not an issue now.

I have spent the last two nights, probably at least 8-10 hours setting up for turn one and I am still not done! This is huge.......Any further consideration to adding the Russian delay back in? I dread trying to set them up.....

This mod is set perfect for those who like to play in teams, each managing a theatre and combining their efforts.

Great work guys, loving it....but my wife still hates you....

Glad to here the warp is no longer a problem. In terms of setting up the first turn, I have found that trying to do it all at once gives me a migrane. So what I do now is;

Turn 1; Issue orders to ALL TF's at sea. Issue orders to LCU's at or near the front lines. Issue orders to any LCU's you may need sooner rather than later. Set up CAP at bases that need it NOW. Set up Nav Search at or near the front. Set up any offensive air missions that you feel you have the capacity to carry out. Try to save your PP's as much as possible. Start planning for future movement of LCU's and Air to foward bases or bases you want to setup as supply depots. Start moving oil and or fuel from the front to other locations that can use it, soonest is best.

Turn 2; Follow up with anything you need to from the previous turn. Now start moving other units, LCU's, Air units, Naval units, as you need to according to your plan. Expand on turn 1 orders, ie; moving units further from the front. I always work on my reinforcements first, then I look thru the ops report for anything that needs attention.

Turn 3; Continue to expand orders and checking on progress of previous orders. Setup forward Nav search bases using AVD's, AVP's and AV's. When you setup these TF's, make sure you set to "do not unload" and "auto disband".

Hope this helps. It does make the first few turns easier to manage....GP

One other very important thing. I can't believe I forgot to tell you this very important thing about the game. It is simple, yet easy to forget. Buy the wife a toy.
I've been married 23 years. my wife likes me doing my thing so she can do her thing. Of course that can go two ways.....GP

< Message edited by General Patton -- 7/17/2015 3:19:14 AM >

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to cdnice)
Post #: 262
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/17/2015 11:01:59 AM   
HansBolter

Two other big tasks I tackle on turn 2:

1. Scour every port that isn't a major supply/LCU start hub and get the cargo and personnel transport ships head back to the major supply/LCU start hubs. There are very few of these ship types at the hubs at game start. These can be pretty safely sent on their way without escort if you do it before the enemy subs have a chance to set cordons around the hubs. Yes you will lose a few to raiders but I see it as the cost of getting them where they need to be.

2. Before sending all those ships on their way comb through them to see which can be converted to AGs, AKEs and AEs. Better to get that started right away before you commit those ships to long transport missions. If they aren't in a port that can facilitate the conversion, get them headed to one that can.

Hans

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 263
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/18/2015 2:52:59 AM   
cdnice

Thanks guys, all good advice, it helps.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 264
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/18/2015 2:50:25 PM   
btd64

Hans, good advice. But I generally don't add AG's. I will do a couple AE's, but since underway replenishment doesn't start until late 44, I don't don't do very many. AKE's, I convert 6 to 8 of the largest capacity xAK's.

Also, start building up fortifications at any base that is or will be under threat within the next 4 to 6 months....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

(in reply to cdnice)
Post #: 265
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/19/2015 5:42:09 AM   
paradigmblue

Some exciting changes coming down the pike, I should have a new full install as well as an update installer posted tomorrow (crossing fingers). I also hope to post two different versions of the mod - one with, and one without Soviets active on day 1.

Minor Updates:

*Added a Sentai of Zeroes to Toyohara due to feedback that it was undefended. In this scenario, it does make sense for Japan to protect such an important location for aircraft factories so close to its border with the Soviet Union.
*Adjusted Toyohara's Aviation Support via an engineering unit stationed there to support the Sentai of Zeroes.
*General Patton noticed decreasing AA values on some Canadian DD additions. Those issues have been fixed.

Major Updates:

Active Emergency Reinforcements
Added all allied "Emergency Reinforcements" to the game on day 1, as temporarily restricted units. It has always felt wrong to me that the Japanese player can run roughshod over India, New Zealand or Australia, but if they don't cross the "line of death", the allies OOB will remain exactly the same. Conversely, it also feels wrong that the Japanese player feels they have to stop their conquests at an imaginary line in the sand. These units will no longer activate when the Japanese player crosses the LOD, but instead start at Capetown, Salt Lake City, Eastern Canada or Aden as restricted units. To load them on transports, the player must pay the PP cost of the unit. As these are high AV units, some of the PP costs to buy out these units are quite high. Note that this isn't a house rule PP cost, but actual game mechanics will prevent the unit from being loaded unless the cost is paid.

Allied Advantages: The allied player will have access to some high AV LCUs that they normally would not have access to, if they can afford to pay the PP cost. Because once they are bought out they are unrestricted, it gives the allied player greater flexibility with these units than in stock - which restricted the US reinforcements to the West Coast.
Allied Disadvantages: The allied player will not magically receive these units if the LOD is crossed, which means that if they have not saved PP to buy them out, they still won't be able to bring them into play.

Japanese Advantages: Crossing the line of death no longer has the strategic and mental stigma that it once did. The additional units are already in the game, so there is less cost to the Japanese player to cross the LOD.
Japanese Disadvantages: The allied player, if they spend their PP wisely, can over time bring more AV than in stock, which will make things more difficult for the Japanese player. Also, the device pool convoys are still activated by crossing the LOD, which means that the allies will still receive additional devices if Japan invades too deeply.
Hopefully this change will create more dynamic and organic gameplay in the theaters where automatic reinforcements can be triggered.

The Mk14A Torpedo
The allied player will have a chance to change the landscape of the sub war with the addition of the 21in Mk 14A and the XT Mk 14A torpedoes. These new devices are a Mk 14 Torpedo that only has a 25% dud rate, instead of Mk14's 80% dud rate. These are not standard equipment on US subs, and instead the player must convert their subs to take advantage of the improved Mk14.
Here's how it works: All US subs that use the Mk14 Torpedo in 1942 will have and option to convert to a version of the sub that used the Mk14A rather than the Mk14. For example, a Dolphin class sub would have an option to convert to the Dolphin A. This is a lengthy conversion, taking the sub out of commission for 45(!) days. Once converted, the sub will miss out on all further upgrades until mid 1943, when it will have a chance to upgrade to its mid-43 layout. Further upgrades after mid-43 take place normally.
The allied player will have to make some tough decisions - How many subs to take from the front lines to make the conversion? Is the conversion worth losing 3 or 4 upgrades from 1942 to 1943?
Credit for this change goes to Bullwinkle

< Message edited by paradigmblue -- 7/19/2015 6:51:58 AM >

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 266
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/19/2015 11:19:11 AM   
btd64

Good stuff para. Bullwinkle, nice idea....GP

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

Post #: 267
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/19/2015 6:49:42 PM   
cdnice

Very nice changes, excited to try them out.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 268
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/19/2015 8:29:12 PM   
paradigmblue

Beta 1.01 patch is up, and can be found here. This allows players to easily update their version without downloading lots of Scen files.

You must have Focus Pacific installed (via the full installer) to update. I'll have a new full-install version posted later today, so new players don't have to install both the full install and then immediately update to the Beta 1.01 patch. At that time I'll also post a new thread, as I don't want players new to the mod to be confused by the last 9 pages of info, much of which is now out of date.

Included in this version is Scenario 72, which is identical to Focus Pacific scenario 71, but without active Soviets on day 1.

Edit: New Thread Up! Let me know your feedback.

< Message edited by paradigmblue -- 7/19/2015 11:33:29 PM >

(in reply to cdnice)
Post #: 269
RE: Focus Pacific - 7/20/2015 6:28:04 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Excellent work, Paradigm!

In those sub conversions to the Mk14A torp, would they get radar? That would be a key factor, methinks.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Focus Pacific Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 [9] 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI