Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  61 62 [63] 64 65   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/21/2015 7:28:50 AM   
warspite1

True Detective Season 2

Has a lot to live up to but we'll see.....

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1861
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/27/2015 9:55:08 AM   
warspite1

Episode 1 - so far so good. A real hard-edged cop show. I expected to have no idea what is going on - and sure enough, after one episode, I don't!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1862
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/30/2015 6:05:42 AM   
warspite1

Wow!!!!!

Finally got around to watching a couple of programs about Television in the 1970's we recorded months ago. "It was alright in the 70's".

The shows were, in places, genuinely shocking to watch - and I mean shocking.

What we watched, accepted and laughed at just 30-40 years ago was, in many cases, simply unbelievable when compared with where we are now.

Racism, sexism, attitudes to smoking - just wow.....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/30/2015 7:20:24 AM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1863
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/30/2015 4:46:00 PM   
KISSMEUFOOL!

quote:

Racism, sexism, attitudes to smoking - just wow...

At least we didnt have to hear these malignant, obnoxious Newspeak terms every damn day. (Smoking is disgusting though).

< Message edited by KISSMEUFOOL! -- 6/30/2015 5:46:27 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1864
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/30/2015 9:02:00 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: KISSMEUFOOL!

quote:

Racism, sexism, attitudes to smoking - just wow...

At least we didnt have to hear these malignant, obnoxious Newspeak terms every damn day. (Smoking is disgusting though).
warspite1

Well I'm no lover of political correctness but damn..... that WAS bad! Times change - not always for the worse

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/30/2015 10:03:16 PM >

(in reply to KISSMEUFOOL!)
Post #: 1865
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 6/30/2015 9:48:23 PM   
KISSMEUFOOL!

What were you watching? This?- http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22us82_a-bridge-too-far-1977_shortfilms

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1866
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/1/2015 5:38:15 AM   
warspite1

quote:

What were you watching? This?- http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22us82_a-bridge-too-far-1977_shortfilms
warspite1

No, this "It was alright in the 70's".

Post #: 1867
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/4/2015 9:08:21 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Episode 1 - so far so good. A real hard-edged cop show. I expected to have no idea what is going on - and sure enough, after one episode, I don't!
warspite1

Episode 2 watched.... even less of a clue what on earth they are talking about.. absolutely no clue

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1868
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/7/2015 3:15:49 PM   
KISSMEUFOOL!

quote:

warspite1

Episode 2 watched.... even less of a clue what on earth they are talking about.. absolutely no clue

Well then why are you even bothering to waste two hours on such folly? Watch this instead-

Narrow Escapes of World War II [Volume 1 Part 1]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rafxm1DYW-U

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1869
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/7/2015 5:54:47 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Well then why are you even bothering to waste two hours on such folly? Watch this instead-

warspite1

I'm a glutton for punishment

Post #: 1870
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/8/2015 4:48:52 PM   
warspite1

Penny Dreadful series 2 finished last night - excellent series, much better than the first . Looking forward to series 3.

Tonight The Affair finishes. Another enjoyable Sky Atlantic offering.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1871
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/8/2015 6:26:49 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Nice! Any links to the film with German subtitles?

Post #: 1872
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/8/2015 6:28:10 PM   
Chickenboy

Finished with "The First World War from Above". Lots of aerial (blimp-derived) footage and comparisons of before and after images. Lots of time spent on / around Pascehdaele.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1873
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/12/2015 1:15:30 PM   
warspite1

Care - Spoiler alert

I finally got around to watching Fury. Certainly not the worst war movie I’ve ever seen, and reasonably entertaining to sit through once, but a few gripes:

- War movies I guess have always been clichéd, but parts of this struck me as a WWII Platoon. The young green rookie who the battle-hardened soldiers initially don’t take to (before becoming bosom buddies by the film’s end) and the battle-hardened soldiers – who are a pretty unlikeable bunch and who appear to be more at war with each other than the enemy (before becoming bosom buddies by the film’s end).

- Speaking of being an unlikeable bunch – what the hell was the scene with the two German girls about?? In an earlier scene the tankers tell the rookie how much they respect and admire the sergeant (who has got them from North Africa to Germany (less one crewman who appears to be sans visage (despite no outward sign of damage to the tank)) – and then they go and behave like that toward him??

- I know that film-makers appear to have been told that the C-word is the new F-word and the F-word is the new S-word, and now they all appear to be using as much foul language as possible (fortunately the C-word was absent here) but come on. Was the use of profanity that generalised in the 40’s – even in war? and would they all have been so happy to swear so profusely in the front of ladies – even German ones? That scene didn’t feel right on so many levels.

- I know there is a trade-off between making something realistic and making something that works on camera, but really was that final scene the best they could do? Was the crew of Fury facing an SS Battalion or the Keystone cops? Grenades going off in a tank? Mmmmm what would the effect really have been. Okay you don’t want to show the full horror, but the guy looked like he'd accidentally nicked his face while shaving.

- Anyway, seen it, glad I did, but won’t be hurrying back for a second viewing.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 7/12/2015 4:17:56 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1874
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/12/2015 6:32:48 PM   
KISSMEUFOOL!

quote:

Nice! Any links to the film with German subtitles?

Not yet but if I find it Ill post it here.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1875
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/13/2015 3:36:33 PM   
AbwehrX

Hombre (1967)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSwi5Er-THU

Post #: 1876
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/13/2015 5:19:19 PM   
KISSMEUFOOL!

All of the Ways Big Brother Is Watching You
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyTGQPaW_IE

(in reply to AbwehrX)
Post #: 1877
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/14/2015 6:17:10 PM   
AbwehrX

Battlefield S1 E2 The Battle of Britain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C0-8PIte5g

Scorched Earth S1-E1 - Panzer Battles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAaEotkZBJE

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1878
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/17/2015 5:00:20 AM   
warspite1

Anyone see Black Sails? The series has begun broadcasting in the UK and I have recorded the first episode to watch over the weekend. Any thoughts? Good, bad, worth watching?

(in reply to AbwehrX)
Post #: 1879
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/24/2015 7:11:42 PM   
warspite1

quote:

....and especially Disney Pixar's Inside Out - check out the trailer for this one - a very, very clever idea .

warspite1

Going to take my little cruisers to see this tomorrow - can't wait!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1880
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/24/2015 10:18:03 PM   
parusski

I am engrossed in Hell on Wheels, season 4.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1881
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/26/2015 7:08:18 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

....and especially Disney Pixar's Inside Out - check out the trailer for this one - a very, very clever idea .

warspite1

warspite1

Well worth the wait! This film is as good as expected and strongly recommended. Very clever idea and, in places, laugh out loud funny.

Great stuff Disney Pixar once again

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1882
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/27/2015 12:28:49 AM   
KISSMEUFOOL!

Heartbreaking,

Masterpiece Theatre- Moll Flanders
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMn71CFNwt4

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1883
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/28/2015 5:46:15 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Well worth the wait! This film is as good as expected and strongly recommended. Very clever idea and, in places, laugh out loud funny.

warspite1

No one else seen this?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1884
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 7/30/2015 6:15:24 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

warspite1

No one else seen this?

warspite1

Apparently not.... how strange.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1885
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/1/2015 10:15:26 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

warspite1

No one else seen this?

warspite1

Apparently not.... how strange.
lists of

I stopped going to the movie theatre a decade ago. But it is on top of films that I want to see. So maybe one day soon I will have the opportunity to watch it.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1886
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/1/2015 1:25:40 PM   
Chris Hampton

I don't watch a lot of tv since I prefer to spend my spare time gaming. I did take my daughter to see Jurassic World, which I did quite enjoy. I also watched the documentary Blackfish on Netflix. But all I'm really looking forward to is December when the new Star Wars flick comes out. J.J. did better than I expected with Star Trek, so I'm cautiously optimistic about this one..

People who turn their swords into plowshares generally end up plowing for the people who kept their swords...

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1887
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/1/2015 4:31:14 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kriegspieler16

I don't watch a lot of tv since I prefer to spend my spare time gaming. I did take my daughter to see Jurassic World, which I did quite enjoy. I also watched the documentary Blackfish on Netflix. But all I'm really looking forward to is December when the new Star Wars flick comes out. J.J. did better than I expected with Star Trek, so I'm cautiously optimistic about this one..
warspite1

What were your thoughts on the subject as a result? Would you visit SeaWorld?

(in reply to Chris Hampton)
Post #: 1888
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/2/2015 8:38:19 AM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I watched Blackfish as well. A documentary well worth watching since it fuels a debate that is worth having.

*censored*

I suggest that you visit SeaWorld after you have spent a couple of minutes online checking that their morality confirms with your own standard.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1889
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/2/2015 8:43:15 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I watched Blackfish as well. A documentary well worth watching since it fuels a debate that is worth having.

*censored*

I suggest that you visit SeaWorld after you have spent a couple of minutes online checking that their morality confirms with your own standard.
warspite1

I haven't seen Blackfish - although have read about it and the debate that surrounds it. I agree it is a debate that needs to be heard.

Personally I have no issue with what they are doing at Sea World and I will be happy to visit the park again if and when we are lucky enough to go back to Florida.

This decision is based purely on the evidence I have read and seen to date.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1890
Page:   <<   < prev  61 62 [63] 64 65   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  61 62 [63] 64 65   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI