Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted >> Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 3/18/2003 2:25:54 PM   
Belisarius

My Katz are idling back at the motor pool.... :rolleyes:

Round 2 and 3 opponents welcome. :p

Got StuG?

(in reply to red)
Post #: 301
Round 1 result - 3/19/2003 7:36:09 AM   
Scharfschütze

After a hardfought battle ([URL=http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=390363#post390363]DAR[/URL])
I vanquish Squirmer´s soviets 8905:3256 for a marginal victory.

So I am ready for round two.

Belisarius, how about a round 2 game? I do Ger and Sov, and don´t mind which. Thoughts?

(in reply to red)
Post #: 302
END GAME - 3/19/2003 7:56:47 AM   
3/2 ACR

I officially with draw from the play of WC 03 :( :( I am finding that the games on here do not meet my own expectations of fair play.
I will continue to play my long standing Cyber soldiers that have the same fair sense of play. I cede this game to Rokondo and that hope his games go well.

Rick 3/2 ACR
:( :(

Kat Killer

(in reply to red)
Post #: 303
Re: Sour Grapes, or call me a whiner!! - 3/19/2003 3:27:26 PM   
RobW

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CPT Shoe
[B]Why is it that I can play numerous opponents out there and never win a game (VikingNo2, I feel my luck might change this time), yet still enjoy the experience and ask to keep playing time and time again?
[/B][/QUOTE]

CptShoe I agree - I am happy to play against anyone in the 99% certainty I will lose. I think the time pressure of the WC games can lead to people becoming anxious with the outcomes - anyone else support my idea of playing rounds 1-3 simultaneously?

Red, will you consider the thought - rounds 1-3 simultaneous ending say mid-end May?

(in reply to red)
Post #: 304
Kannonfutter??? - 3/19/2003 9:40:04 PM   
patriot101

I have not heard from Kannonfutter within three days of him getting my last turn. I hate to be a stickler, but you guys were kind enough to let me in here late in the game, and I have only gotten to the second turn of the first battle of round 1. Unless I (and my opponent) am willing to abide to a strict three day rule, we are never going to complete round 1. I don't have a problem getting a message to let me know that there will be some sort of delay, but when I hear nothing after three days, I become concerned.

What do I do now?

R and R in the trenches......

(in reply to red)
Post #: 305
Re: Re: Sour Grapes, or call me a whiner!! - 3/20/2003 2:40:39 AM   
rbrunsman

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RobW
[B]Red, will you consider the thought - rounds 1-3 simultaneous ending say mid-end May? [/B][/QUOTE]

Rob, we are playing at least rounds 1 & 2 at the same time. I'm currently getting spanked by Squirmer in Round 2 and our Round 1 game is only half over.

It looks like people are matching themselves up if Red is AWOL for a day or two. I say go ahead and grab a partner for you next battles, designate one of them as your Round 2 opponent and the other as Round 3. Then, if for some reason Red says we aren't doing Round 3 battles yet, you can just consider that one you started as a practice game.

Just my 2 cents.:)

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to red)
Post #: 306
Pedantic point - 3/20/2003 4:17:59 AM   
Squirmer

[B]You're supposed to alternate your two countries between rounds, not choose whichever.[/B]

---
I agree with RB about just going ahead and setting up games.

So ... Rob I ask again how about me for Round 3? I'm not very good at playing the Sovs as Scharfschutze can affirm.

(in reply to red)
Post #: 307
Rules - 3/20/2003 4:20:31 AM   
Squirmer

This link will take you to the rules:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32747&perpage=15&pagenumber=19

(in reply to red)
Post #: 308
Stonefire and M4 Jess Fini Round one - 3/20/2003 9:04:59 AM   
M4Jess

F-9! :(

Stonefire done did good :D

After he found out he could call in reinforcements (and long after I did) he brought the house down!

Great Fight Stonefire!

I will see you again!

:mad:

Ok....now what??? :p

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to red)
Post #: 309
OK.... no response in over 3 days. - 3/20/2003 11:47:48 AM   
patriot101

Response Time
-------------
If the player doesnt respond or make contact his opponent within 3 days, the game is forfeited.

===========================================
Kannonfutter has not responded within 3 days, and did not respond to an earlier email today. I do not like declaring victory in this way, but rules are rules. The email info below confirms when I sent the files.

Subj: Re: round 1
Date: 3/16/03 8:49:32 AM Eastern Standard Time
To: Sinnfrei zwodrei
File: emai25.ZIP (163727 bytes) DL Time (33333 bps): < 1 minute

Even if I allow several hours to receive my email after I sent it, the three days has passed.

Do I now wait for a new opponent? Does someone have to approve this crappy victory? Someone please tell me.

(in reply to red)
Post #: 310
Re: OK.... no response in over 3 days. - 3/20/2003 12:11:23 PM   
Gary Tatro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by patriot101
[B]Response Time
-------------
If the player doesnt respond or make contact his opponent within 3 days, the game is forfeited.
[/B][/QUOTE]

You can claim victory if you want. I would give him a few more days. People do have real lives and they do some times (I know this might be foriegn to some of you out there) get it the way of playing SPWAW. So what I would suggest in the ideal of good sportsmanship is to give it a little time and in the mean time start your next PBEM game in the World Cup with another contestant.

That is just my two cents. You can call a forfiet if you want.:rolleyes:

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"

(in reply to red)
Post #: 311
Re: OK.... no response in over 3 days. - 3/20/2003 12:26:57 PM   
sandman20

[B]
Even if I allow several hours to receive my email after I sent it, the three days has passed.

Do I now wait for a new opponent? Does someone have to approve this crappy victory? Someone please tell me. [/B][/QUOTE]

I can play against you on round 2, 'cause I don't have opponent not yet.I'll play Germany since I last play with yankees:)
What do you think Patriot?

(in reply to red)
Post #: 312
- 3/20/2003 2:21:53 PM   
Belisarius

[SIZE=4]JESS!!![/SIZE]

Feel like taking me on for Round 2?

1942, I'm going in with the Feldgrau fellas. :)

Got StuG?

(in reply to red)
Post #: 313
Stonefire ready for round 2. - 3/20/2003 3:05:50 PM   
Stonefire

Hi

After my ANZAC troops have disposed the soviet foe - my Imperial Troopers (Empire of Japan :D ) are ready for round 2.

Stonefire

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Erwin Rommel

(in reply to red)
Post #: 314
- 3/20/2003 3:17:15 PM   
RobW

Squirmer, sorry already have a round 3 game in hand but if you can fit a round 2 in we can match up - I will take Brits. If not then once I am out of the tournament how about a non-competitive PBEM?

(in reply to red)
Post #: 315
- 3/20/2003 4:05:22 PM   
Brutto-Bob

I believe that people must wait Red confirmation about winning game due to opponent's delay between turns.

I also think that the opponent choice must be a random pick, as done for the first and second round.

(in reply to red)
Post #: 316
- 3/20/2003 7:50:58 PM   
M4Jess

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belisarius
[B][SIZE=4]JESS!!![/SIZE]

Feel like taking me on for Round 2?

1942, I'm going in with the Feldgrau fellas. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Lets go Katwoman!!!:mad: [IMG]http://skins.hotbar.com/skins/mailskins/em/033102/033102bebe_1_prv.gif[/IMG]

(in reply to red)
Post #: 317
- 3/20/2003 9:10:47 PM   
patriot101

sandman20,

I am willing to try and start round 2. My big concern was the push to play rounds 1 and 2 or rounds 1,2 and 3 simultaneously. I also have a real life outside of WaW, and also am involved in two other PBeM battles outside of this tournament. The last thing I need is to have 5 or 6 battles going on at the same time.
I am assuming now that after four full days have passed without even a "sorry, I will send my turn as soon as I can..." from Kannonfutter, I have to consider moving on.

I am usually very good about asking for time if something comes up, and hey.... if I screw up and let 4 or 5 days pass without sending my turn, or don't let my opponent know what is happening, I fully expect to get canned from this tournament.

Sandman20, I would like to wait until tomorrow before starting any new battle. I will agree to wait until the end of the day today to hear something from Kannonfutter.

Is it ok for us to go ahead and setup opponent matchups? I have not really seen the structure of this tournament as far a s a bracket or anything, so I am not real clear about how the opponent matchups are to be handled from round to round.

Any of you guys remember the old Avalon Hill game "Diplomacy"?

(in reply to red)
Post #: 318
- 3/20/2003 9:24:11 PM   
Buzzard45

[B]Any of you guys remember the old Avalon Hill game "Diplomacy"? [/B][/QUOTE]

Spent many a late night with that one. A friend made an 8 foot long 4 foot wide game board with ceramic figures 4 inches high. Everyonre could see it. Phew, that bring back memories. Curiously, It is mostly of an aching head.:o :( :o

Is there a new update?

" Look alive!! Here comes a Buzzard"
POGO

(in reply to red)
Post #: 319
- 3/20/2003 9:52:23 PM   
sandman20

[B]

Sandman20, I would like to wait until tomorrow before starting any new battle. I will agree to wait until the end of the day today to hear something from Kannonfutter.

Is it ok for us to go ahead and setup opponent matchups? I have not really seen the structure of this tournament as far a s a bracket or anything, so I am not real clear about how the opponent matchups are to be handled from round to round.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I think we can go ahead and start a new battle, 'cause some guys are already played 2/3 rounds and some guys, like me, have played only one:rolleyes: .

Drop me an email, if your opponent doesn't answer and when you're ready, then we can talk about the terms. [EMAIL=sandman20@jippii.fi]sandman20@jippii.fi[/EMAIL] .

(in reply to red)
Post #: 320
- 3/21/2003 1:26:56 AM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by M4 Jess
[B]Lets go Katwoman!!!:mad: [/B][/QUOTE]

Cute. :rolleyes:

I will still you....

What terms?

Points? 4000? Summer ´42?

Got StuG?

(in reply to red)
Post #: 321
Force composition - 3/21/2003 4:30:59 AM   
Gary Tatro

I think that some players think that force composition is a dirty word. What we have here are a few different mind sets.

First you have the historical WWII people that believe that you force compositions should be histroical for the time period above all else. This provides for a SPWAW game that in my opinion is unbalanced.

Second you have the players that feel that the point system is the vast equalizer and that anything can go as long as you pay your points. This also provides for a SPWAW game that in my opinion is unbalanced.

Third you have the people who play who want to win they will do anything to win. Push any extreme to either test something or to just win because winning ie everything. I have played games where my opponent was advancing and I was delaying and they purchased 300 units of German motorcycle units. I have also played a game against a Japan player that took almost 10000 points in infiltrators (the 25 man unit). Ugh. These games I do not find to be fun and just stop playing with my opponent after I lose.

Fourth you get a number of people that believe in a specific set of house rules that are designed to help eliminate specific abuses to the game. Specifically 10% artillary limit, limits on rockets, limits on infiltrators, air-drops, and mines. Does this make a historical situation? No. Does it make for a balanced battle between two people? It tries to.

Fifth you have the people that say play with C&C on and that fixes everything. Well trust me if you have ever played C&C and have been the reciepient of infiltrators or an air drop I can tell you it is pretty much impossible to turn your troops around.

The idea is not to force people to adhear to specific purchase requirements it is to give a set of guildlines that people can play each other and have fun and through good play or good tacktics and strategy win. I tend to get perverse pleasure by defeating an opponent that has a distict advantage due to some tank or equipment that is available to them at that time period. But I have a much better time playing a good opponent that feals he is on the same playing field and it is just his tactics and my tactics that win the game.

That being said I tend to buy a balanced force. Depending completly upon my opponent and the terrain I will purchase extra points in one area or another. Desert=more tanks. Forest=more infantry. Urban=more artillary and infantry support tanks. My reiforcements on the other hand tend to be a direct response to my opponent. So they tend to be a bit more one sided.

Well JL I hope this helps. Don't let people get you down. Play the game the way you like to and enjoy. You are well on your way to being one of the best, so stick around and have fun.

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"

(in reply to red)
Post #: 322
Opponent for round 2 needed - 3/21/2003 4:59:18 AM   
Stonefire

Hi

Anyone ready for round 2?

I will play the Japaneese this round.

Regards

Stonefire

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."
-Erwin Rommel

(in reply to red)
Post #: 323
- 3/21/2003 6:05:33 AM   
M4Jess

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Belisarius
[B]Cute. :rolleyes:

I will still you....

What terms?

Points? 4000? Summer ´42? [/B][/QUOTE]

What ever you want big guy we still gonna

I am Russian...set her up

(in reply to red)
Post #: 324
- 3/21/2003 5:12:16 PM   
dodger

I agree with most of Gary's and Jim's points.

But I have a bit more absolute view: When you start playing, there's a certain bunch of rules you both agree upon. As long as those rules and limitations are followed, everything goes.

Personally I will compose my force based on the situation, but still within reason (I won't buy 90% Stugs and 10% arty) and atleast a little regard for what was historically available. Should my opponent choose not to do so, I wouldn't mind, as he IS playing by the rules (besides, pure tank rushes have a tendency to be ambushed ). How I use the troops might not be historically accurate though, but I think that's one of the objects of the game.

It's my opinion that if someone wishes to play with limited or historic forces, then that should be agreed to BEFORE the game by both parties. I myself would not reject a proposal to play a battle with historic forces (as long as I thought it was somewhere close to even).

Just my 2c.

-Jani

ALL YOUR FLAGS ARE BELONG TO US!

(in reply to red)
Post #: 325
- 3/21/2003 7:31:25 PM   
TheOverlord

I aggree as well.

The whole point of WAW is to be able to say "if I was in charge, I would do it like this!...".

If you want to play a historical battle, then make it clear prior to the start of the battle and either aggree to play a scenario or set rules that would make it "real life".

What sucks is when players take advantage of the quirks or loop holes. That is "gaming" someone and does not necessarily mean one is a better player. I think this is what most have issue with.

Most folks seem to go for a balanced and reasonable force composition based on the situation anyways from what I have seen. At least the folks who like to play WAW as it was intended - as a simulation of combined arms combat in a WW2 setting.

As Dodger points out, an all armor force or all something else is usually tough to win with against a balanced force so I really dont have an issue with what my oppoents try to throw at me. There are ways of dealing with this sort of thing, and if you have a balanced force yourself you can usually keep your head above water until you can call in reinforcements to get what you need to effectivly counter an opponent who is gaming you.

I would be against setting any sort of general rules for force compositions. That takes away one of the great features of these battles! If you feel someone is gaming you, state it in your AAR so the next opponenet of these individuals will be aware of the track record and can set additional rules to prevent that sort of thing.

IMHO.....

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer. "
-Major Holdridge

(in reply to red)
Post #: 326
- 3/22/2003 5:13:28 AM   
AngryDeemon1

I was forced to concede Defeat (and surrender) to brutto Bob. After my incompetent try at leading the American forces I eagerly await my round three opponent vs whom I now get to play as the ever-victorious Soviet Army:)

(in reply to red)
Post #: 327
Pink Floyd - 3/22/2003 9:00:38 AM   
stevemk1a

I suspect Red was listening to "When the Tigers broke free" and is now having nightmares ... :D :D .... (sorry I'm a big Floyd fan ... :) )

(in reply to red)
Post #: 328
- 3/24/2003 7:11:47 PM   
TheOverlord

US forces surrender to Germany.

Dodger kicked my butt.

I am ready for my next match up!

This time I get my Katz back!!
No more tin cans on tracks....

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer. "
-Major Holdridge

(in reply to red)
Post #: 329
- 3/25/2003 5:46:39 AM   
dodger

Round 2: Overlord (US) vs Dodger (GE)

Dodger wins: 18.7k / 6.7k

Thanks for the game Overlord.

Now looking for round 3 opponent for '43. I'm playing Finland.

-Jani

ps. Does anyone have a clue where Red is?

ALL YOUR FLAGS ARE BELONG TO US!

(in reply to red)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted >> Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI