PBEM World Cup 2003 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted

red -> PBEM World Cup 2003 (2/11/2003 12:52:31 AM)

With dust barely settled after VikingNo2 claiming the PBEM WC'2002 crown, the contenders are invited to sign up for WC'2003 ! Let's set until Saturday this week to allow those who want to participate to sign in so we can start at it over the weekend.

AngryDeemon1 -> (2/11/2003 1:16:51 AM)

Ill give it a go. What does one need to sign up?

red -> (2/11/2003 1:19:46 AM)

Consider yourself signed up.

red -> (2/11/2003 1:27:06 AM)

AD, in WC players usually pick a country and use it through out the tournement so if you decided who you will fight as, post it in.

rbrunsman -> (2/11/2003 1:35:18 AM)

I'm in.

Suggestions:

Depending on how many people sign up, we should have strict time tables for finishing the games. e.g. If you have 30 days to finish a game, then on the last day you have to end the game and the one with the highest point total moves on.

Also, if there is no contact heard for 2 to 3 days then a warning post should be put in the DAR forum and then there is 24 hours to respond with a turn or an "I'll get the turn to you in xx.." or you forfeit. The reason for this is that the WC Champion should be someone who is reliable, not only a great player (V2 is a great example in this regard and is also deserving of the title for this fact).

These kind of simple rules can put us on a schedule so we can know that on December 15th, 2003 we will have a winner (or whatever date we choose).

Should we allow any sized games so long as the players know they are limited in time or should we make everyone play the same poiints (e.g. 5000).

I also think, this time we should make people play different countries. I mean, you may be awesome playing the Russians, but if you suck at everything else, are you really the best player? I think you should be prohibited from playing the same country twice in a row.

Just my thoughts...

rbrunsman -> (2/11/2003 1:39:38 AM)

Are we doing this in v7.1 or H2H, or both. They are so different that you could have different skills at both. I chose my finals match against V2 as my first H2H game. Not a brilliant idea as it turned out since I got the worst beating of my life ([SIZE=1]and I've beaten V2 several times in v7.1, grumble, grumble).[/SIZE]

Rokondo -> Count me in (2/11/2003 1:44:36 AM)

rbrunsman I want you first !!!
We need to play the first game or I keep you for later ? :D

P.S. I think we need to give more time to members to sign in.
I think 8.3.2003 is good date.

AngryDeemon1 -> (2/11/2003 2:07:08 AM)

Ill take the USSR

sandman20 -> (2/11/2003 2:40:45 AM)

I'm in too and I would like to take U.S Army;)

rbrunsman -> (2/11/2003 3:22:47 AM)

Rokondo, you'll have to [B]earn[/B] the right to play me.:p ;)

Let's here comments about how the tourney should be played. The last one didn't flow so smoothly as it could have (no offense to Red who did a wonderful job with what he had).

Rokondo -> I take US (2/11/2003 3:41:22 AM)

USA...USA...

Capt. Pixel -> US vs US (2/11/2003 4:13:19 AM)

Don't forget that issue of two players who both represent the same country.

National Characteristics and Country Training can make a big difference in capabilities if you start with two different countries. Even when you buy the same equipment. (US artillery response is a case in point. It doesn't work nearly as well if your A0 is German)

Setting both sides to the same country can also create some real confusion when it comes time to determine which VHs you control. They all look the same.

"I think that VH underneath five wrecked Sherman (two of his, three of mine) is currently held by MY US forces. Or maybe not?"

Turning off Nat'l Characteristics and Training would equalize the field in the case of Brother vs Brother battles. :cool:

CPT Shoe -> (2/11/2003 7:23:56 AM)

I'd like to get in playing Germans.

If nothing more than to give somebody else a chance to warm up. I'd like to see just how far I could go.

M4Jess -> The Might (2/11/2003 8:12:27 AM)

may I please have the MIGHT!??

please......:p

Brutto-Bob -> (2/11/2003 3:17:13 PM)

Ciao,

I'm ready for the challenge, I'll take the Germans.

I also vote for SPWAW v7.1

RobW -> (2/11/2003 3:55:42 PM)

Sign me up please - no doubt I will be another first round casualty!!! If we need to specify countires then I will sign up as Britain - time the old Union Jack got a look in in this place.

As to H2H vs 7.1 - I only have 7.1 so will vote for this - I feel I would be at a disadvantage moving to H2H for such an important game (hahahahaha not that I expect to get through the first rounD!) but I hope to put up a stiffer fight than last time!!!

mlomax -> (2/11/2003 10:27:22 PM)

Sign me up to. I'll take the U.S..

rbrunsman -> (2/11/2003 11:37:17 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RobW
[B]Sign me up please - no doubt I will be another first round casualty!!! If we need to specify countires then I will sign up as Britain - time the old Union Jack got a look in in this place.

As to H2H vs 7.1 - I only have 7.1 so will vote for this - I feel I would be at a disadvantage moving to H2H for such an important game (hahahahaha not that I expect to get through the first rounD!) but I hope to put up a stiffer fight than last time!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

RobW, if you play the Brits, you will be a first round casualty!:D

3/2 ACR -> US (2/12/2003 1:27:59 AM)

I am in, will take of course the americans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary Tatro -> Well I just can't stand being first Loser so (2/12/2003 3:10:54 AM)

I am in I will take USSR.

rbrunsman -> Re: Well I just can't stand being first Loser so (2/12/2003 6:59:25 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gary Tatro
[B]I am in I will take USSR. [/B][/QUOTE]

From what V2 tells me, I can only say, "OH, SHI...!!:eek: "

I will be a wild card and take the opposite of whatever my doomed opponent takes. You are all grist for the mill as far as I'm concerned.:D

RobW -> (2/12/2003 4:17:44 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rbrunsman
[B]RobW, if you play the Brits, you will be a first round casualty!:D [/B][/QUOTE]

yeah but at least I will die with a stiff upper lip and a cup of tea in my hand!!! But am certain - will take Brits - who knows what will happen - my unusual tactics and complete lack of common sense with confuse baffle and disorientate my opponent!!!!

mlomax -> (2/12/2003 11:05:53 PM)

Its nice to know that I'm not the only one in this world with unusual tactics.:D

dodger -> (2/13/2003 3:58:05 AM)

I'm game. I vote for SPH2H, in which case I can use the Finland. If we're using SPWAW, I'll go for Germany.

-Jani

RobW -> (2/13/2003 8:25:47 PM)

How about making it more complex - a league system (or number of leagues) that way it is easier for inexperienced players like myself to find opponents during the tournament (ie they are already decided). Depending on the number of people wanting to play you could have multiple leagues - top 2 from each go through after ecah person in the league plays the other once (or twice) into a knock out phase.

dodger -> (2/13/2003 9:51:28 PM)

What I am most worried about is the fact that both SPH2H and SPWAW report battles as draws very easily. So the winner should be decided on score, even if the margin isn't large enough for the game to declare one person the winner.

rbrunsman -> (2/14/2003 1:26:34 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dodger
[B]What I am most worried about is the fact that both SPH2H and SPWAW report battles as draws very easily. So the winner should be decided on score, even if the margin isn't large enough for the game to declare one person the winner. [/B][/QUOTE]

It's decided by points. Hardly anyone cares what the computer tells you about the battle. You almost always get draws anyway when 2 good players go at it. But, one player usually knows when he got his *** kicked even though the computer says it was a Draw.

dodger -> (2/14/2003 5:08:32 AM)

Any idea when it's gonna start?

red -> (2/14/2003 5:36:53 AM)

Saturday is the deadline for signing up. Once we finilize the list the match ups will be posted same day. Also we need to finilize the rules. I like the idea of limiting the time for players to get in touch with each other and time limit on finishing the game to keep it rolling along. Other than that things like game version, setup etc I'd like to leave up to the players to agree on.

Shiner -> PBEM World Cup 2003 (2/14/2003 6:35:40 AM)

I would like to play in the World Cup. Please sign me up to play as the Soviets.

Please send any info to:

[email]senormario@hotmail.com[/email]

Thanks!!

Shiner

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI