Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/2/2015 5:45:55 PM   
warspite1

Watched Blackfish. I then read Seaworld's response.

Just highlights the power of film and how statements can be presented as 'facts' and, when put together with random film clips, can give totally false impressions.

As with most things in life, its good to hear both sides and understand opposing views before jumping to conclusions one way or another.

All I would say is don't watch one without reading the other.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1891
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/2/2015 5:48:53 PM   
Chickenboy

Good point, warspite1. Particularly worth noting that both sides have an ideology to defend and 'document' in any way they can. Sometimes these expose style 'documentaries' are little more than a bully pulpit and / or propaganda campaign cleverly disguised as a documentary. That approach is pretty brazenly biased to begin with.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1892
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/2/2015 5:49:27 PM   
Chickenboy

Just finished watching the "Civil War" Kenneth Burns documentary. So very good.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1893
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/5/2015 6:20:59 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Episode 1 - so far so good. A real hard-edged cop show. I expected to have no idea what is going on - and sure enough, after one episode, I don't!
warspite1

Episode 2 watched.... even less of a clue what on earth they are talking about.. absolutely no clue

warspite1

Series 2 of True Detective is seriously getting into gear. Really pleased I stuck with it. If anyone likes cop shows True Detective 1 and 2 are great examples of the genre.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1894
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/11/2015 7:04:09 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Episode 1 - so far so good. A real hard-edged cop show. I expected to have no idea what is going on - and sure enough, after one episode, I don't!
warspite1

Episode 2 watched.... even less of a clue what on earth they are talking about.. absolutely no clue

warspite1

Series 2 of True Detective is seriously getting into gear. Really pleased I stuck with it. If anyone likes cop shows True Detective 1 and 2 are great examples of the genre.

warspite1

...and the series finished last night. Been highly watchable - roll on Season 3.. please.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1895
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/22/2015 5:05:27 AM   
warspite1

Coronation Street!

When we were in Manchester earlier this week we went to the old Coronation Street set to see where the world's longest running soap was filmed until 2013.

Great tour, well worth going to see (if you are a fan )

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1896
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/24/2015 6:13:42 AM   
nicwb

"The Roosevelts: an intimate portrait"

A Ken Burns documentary about Teddy Roosevel, Franklin Roosevelts & Eleanor Roosevelt. The usual Ken Burns hallmarks of decent archival footage, interesting experts, and detailed facts backed up by the music of the times.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1897
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/26/2015 8:20:44 PM   
Orm

quote:

Just purchased on DVD one of the best series the BBC ever did; Seven Wonders of the Industrial World. This seven part series was shown back in 2003 or 4 and was incredibly interesting. The genius was in telling the stories - always a mix of triumph and tragedy - in a way that the ordinary layman i.e. numptys like me, can understand. The episodes covered the building of :

The Brooklyn Bridge
Bell Rock Lighthouse
Hoover Dam
The Panama Canal
The London Sewerage system
The Great Eastern
The Transcontinental Railway

I finally got around to watch all the episodes of this series.

All episodes were interesting although I still question whether all objects really classify as one out of seven "wonders".

And I agree with my friend, The Honourable Lord Warspite1, that the Bell Rock Lighthouse episode was the best episode.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1898
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/27/2015 5:11:34 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Just purchased on DVD one of the best series the BBC ever did; Seven Wonders of the Industrial World. This seven part series was shown back in 2003 or 4 and was incredibly interesting. The genius was in telling the stories - always a mix of triumph and tragedy - in a way that the ordinary layman i.e. numptys like me, can understand. The episodes covered the building of :

The Brooklyn Bridge
Bell Rock Lighthouse
Hoover Dam
The Panama Canal
The Great Eastern

All episodes were interesting although I still question whether all objects really classify as one out of seven "wonders".

And I agree with my friend, The Honourable Lord Warspite1, that the Bell Rock Lighthouse episode was the best episode.
warspite1

Glad you enjoyed them! Hopefully others will give them a try - they are well worth the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCT9PjdTij0

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 8/27/2015 7:38:35 AM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1899
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/28/2015 5:51:13 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Brooklyn Bridge
Bell Rock Lighthouse
Hoover Dam
The Panama Canal
The Great Eastern

warspite1

Glad you enjoyed them! Hopefully others will give them a try - they are well worth the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCT9PjdTij0

The series is available on Netflix so many should have easy access to it.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1900
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/28/2015 5:54:49 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

....and especially Disney Pixar's Inside Out - check out the trailer for this one - a very, very clever idea .

warspite1

Going to take my little cruisers to see this tomorrow - can't wait!

warspite1

Well worth the wait! This film is as good as expected and strongly recommended. Very clever idea and, in places, laugh out loud funny.

Great stuff Disney Pixar once again

warspite1

No one else seen this?

warspite1

Apparently not.... how strange.

Not so strange, when considering that Inside Out have its premiere today.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1901
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 8/31/2015 5:44:29 AM   
Orm

Downton Abbey, Season Five.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1902
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/1/2015 4:58:52 PM   
Orm

quote:

Downton Abbey, Season Five.

Season five has been somewhat disappointing. It is still a good show but it is not as good as the previous seasons.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1903
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/1/2015 6:08:07 PM   
Chickenboy

Watched "Kingsmen" with Mrs. Chickenboy this weekend. I say-what a jolly good movie. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Didn't know a thing about it, just that it came with good reviews. I'm often pleasantly surprised by such films.

Say "Birdman" the week before. Still not sure what to make of that. Its multiple Academy Awards were probably a bit of an overreach, IMO.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1904
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/1/2015 6:17:29 PM   
Orm

I'll try and see Kingsmen then.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1905
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/1/2015 6:18:44 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Yes. Recommended.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1906
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/1/2015 6:22:12 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Yes. Recommended.

Thank you.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1907
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/1/2015 6:22:31 PM   
Chickenboy

My pleasure.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1908
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/1/2015 6:53:09 PM   
warspite1

Did anyone ever watch Mad Men? I am taking the opportunity of watching the series from the beginning. Hope it's worth it.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1909
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/1/2015 7:13:12 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Did anyone ever watch Mad Men? I am taking the opportunity of watching the series from the beginning. Hope it's worth it.

Mrs. Chickenboy is a real fan. I thought the sets, costumes and general ambience were top notch. However, I could not identify with or think well of any of the characters as protagonists. Draper is too irredeemable to be interesting or a sympathetic character. My interest started waning in season 3 or 4. Haven't seen much since. Nothing much in the final season(s).

I'll reverse your question to hear from those that have watched "Walking Dead" or "House of Cards". Both of these are on our "short list" to binge watch and we've not seen anything from either series at all. Where to start?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1910
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/6/2015 11:46:08 AM   
shunwick

Football Manager 2015 Series - Parma Drama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip0MAVPEHsw&list=PLe2Tu-IX03Idp-_1UfJbkGmp1C2AMxBJZ

Entertaining.

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1911
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/17/2015 6:42:37 PM   
warspite1

The final series of Downton Abbey starts on Sunday

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 1912
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/17/2015 6:49:48 PM   
Orm

quote:

The final series of Downton Abbey starts on Sunday

I was disappointed by season 5 so I hope that the final season is a improvement.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1913
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/17/2015 6:51:45 PM   
Orm

quote:

Please get back to me on your thoughts on mad Men. I've pondered on watching it but now I will let you be the judge if it is worth it.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1914
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/17/2015 6:54:47 PM   
Orm

I just completed watching series one of Narcos. I found it captivating and watched the entire season in three days.

Now it will be an eternity before Netflix has made season two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcos

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1915
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/17/2015 6:57:47 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Please get back to me on your thoughts on mad Men. I've pondered on watching it but now I will let you be the judge if it is worth it.
warspite1

I haven't watched any yet (4 episodes waiting). Nor Black Sails (apart from the first episode). I just can't get the time/enthusiasm. Did watch the first in the series 'Last Days of the Nazis' - first episode was good so definitely sticking with that

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1916
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/19/2015 4:39:08 AM   
warspite1

Dr Who returns tonight.....

.....Sadly its Jenna's last series

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1917
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/19/2015 10:56:05 AM   
Zorch

The Emmy awards are tomorrow night.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1918
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/20/2015 7:28:41 AM   
Orm

quote:

Dr Who returns tonight.....

.....Sadly its Jenna's last series

Then, maybe, she can join a show that I watch.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1919
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/20/2015 7:44:57 AM   
warspite1

SPOILER ALERT

Doctor Who was back last night and straight into gear. Good episode (first of a two-parter) and Clara Oswald was in the thick of the action - albeit she got exterminated by the Daleks....

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1920
Page:   <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI