Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Add your scenario to TOAW4!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Add your scenario to TOAW4! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 7/17/2015 2:09:21 PM   
Tamas

We want to make sure we offer as many high quality scenarios with TOAW4 as possible, as well as keeping the TOAW community involved in shaping the game to its final form.

That is why we invite you to send your TOAW3 scenarios to us!

Our team will review each submitted scenarios, and those that pass our review process will be invited to work with us on upgrading them to TOAW4.

If your scenario is selected and you are willing to work with us to update it to TOAW IV, you will:
-have your scenario in The Operational Art of War 4!
-gain access to the development forum to make sure your scenario works as you intended with the new version, and to give your feedback during the development process
-get a free digital copy of the game on release!

If you are interested, please send your scenario, or scenarios, to tamask[at}slitherine.co.uk

Feel free to spread the word and point your TOAW community toward this forum!

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 7/18/2015 12:29:02 AM   
Meyer1

Did not know that there is a development forum

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 2
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 7/19/2015 1:04:08 AM   
Falcon1

I think it would be convenient if all the scenarios that are "PBEM Only" would be kept separate from the scenarios with PO capability.
I did this manually for TOAWIII, but it was a pain to do it because I had to open every one individually and look at the scenario briefing.

Also, would be nice to be able to view the map and the OOB while browsing the scenario list.

< Message edited by Falcon1 -- 7/19/2015 3:11:08 AM >

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 3
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 7/22/2015 9:48:30 AM   
Tamas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Falcon1

I think it would be convenient if all the scenarios that are "PBEM Only" would be kept separate from the scenarios with PO capability.
I did this manually for TOAWIII, but it was a pain to do it because I had to open every one individually and look at the scenario briefing.

Also, would be nice to be able to view the map and the OOB while browsing the scenario list.

These are good points, will see what we can do, thanks.

(in reply to Falcon1)
Post #: 4
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 7/22/2015 12:17:01 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

quote:

ORIGINAL: Falcon1

Yeah, this is a good idea, but I'm not sure if keeping the "PBEM Only" scenarios separate is practical. Problem is many "PO scenarios" are also often "PBEM" at the same time. IMO, a more practical solution would be to change the menu for choosing scenarios and implement a filter with which we could simply filter out all scenarios marked as "PBEM" - those that are "PBEM Only" and those that are "PO/PBEM."

< Message edited by Freyr Oakenshield -- 7/22/2015 1:17:41 PM >

(in reply to Falcon1)
Post #: 5
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 7/22/2015 9:50:51 PM   
Falcon1

I'm not saying that we need to identify scenarios that are both PO and PBEM.
I would assume that all scenarios are PBEM capable.

I just want a quick way to know which scenarios are not PO capable, so I can save time by not considering them at all.

(in reply to Freyr Oakenshield)
Post #: 6
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 7/22/2015 10:31:08 PM   
Freyr Oakenshield

quote:

I would assume that all scenarios are PBEM capable.

Yes, they are. However, humans play scenarios in a bit different way than the PO (e.g. the infamous use of ant units), so sometimes some designers create a special version of the scenario for PBEM, which may slightly differ from the PO version.

Anyway, regardless of what you meant, IMO, a filter allowing to filter scenarios according to different criteria would come in handy, though I know it's likely to be a low priority...

< Message edited by Freyr Oakenshield -- 7/22/2015 11:33:56 PM >

(in reply to Falcon1)
Post #: 7
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 7/23/2015 2:40:03 PM   
wodin

I'd love to see a Stalingrad scenario at coy scale..but upto regiment would be cool. Sorry I have none of my own..

(in reply to Freyr Oakenshield)
Post #: 8
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 7/23/2015 9:02:13 PM   
hellfish6

What if the scenario uses a custom equipment database?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 9
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 7/24/2015 4:15:17 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: hellfish6

What if the scenario uses a custom equipment database?

Not a problem.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 10
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 7/24/2015 4:37:21 PM   
WriterJWA

I'm not sure what the author's availability is, but these Vietnam Combat Operations scenarios are remarkable!

https://sites.google.com/site/vietnamcombatoperations/

< Message edited by WriterJWA -- 7/24/2015 5:37:37 PM >

Jay
USMC '98-'06
0311-4341

"Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics."
- Gen. Omar Bradley

"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. "
- Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 11
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 7/31/2015 5:46:22 PM   
r6kunz

Greetings all,

Here is the list of scenarios that I plan to submit...

Road to Moscow Series, I-VIII, - already included in 3.5 and should be OK for IV.

Red Thunder II 1988
- ditto.

Ardennes 1944 (v 5.0)- updated on 3XBb, converted back to 3.5 (not included in patch) and is ready to go for IV

Guns of August 1914 - ditto

Korea 2013- ditto

Overlord 1944 (2.5km/ half day, 30 days) but needs more work. November?

Destruction of Army Group Center 1944
November?

Keep us posted with the time frame for submitting the scenarios.

Thanks again for your dedication to this project!

Rob Kunz

(in reply to WriterJWA)
Post #: 12
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 8/2/2015 5:01:09 PM   
Raindem

If we had scenarios included with TOAW III do we need to resubmit them?

Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 13
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 8/2/2015 5:52:59 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raindem

I believe that if you want to participate, then you'll be expected to update them with TOAW IV (using its new features as applicable) and check them out under it. Even better would be if you had something not in III. Didn't you do an American Revolution scenario?

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Raindem)
Post #: 14
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 8/3/2015 12:35:13 PM   
Raindem

Yes I did Bob (Call to Arms). I plan to submit that along with Blitzkrieg and Campaign for South Vietnam. Thanks.

Curt

Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.

Post #: 15
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 9/28/2015 4:56:25 PM   
Maciek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

I believe that if you want to participate, then you'll be expected to update them with TOAW IV (using its new features as applicable) and check them out under it. Even better would be if you had something not in III. Didn't you do an American Revolution scenario?

OK - how to do it without test version of TOAW 4? We (CSTO) made Polish-Soviet War 1920 & Poland 1939...

Post #: 16
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 9/28/2015 5:10:41 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maciek
quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay
quote:

OK - how to do it without test version of TOAW 4? We (CSTO) made Polish-Soviet War 1920 & Poland 1939...

You're correct that you can't check it out without the game engine so if I were you I'd send an email to Tamas Kiss and explain
what's going on with your scenario's etc. You can probably find him here:
tamask(AT)slitherine(DOT)co(DOT)uk

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to Maciek)
Post #: 17
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 10/6/2015 2:27:51 PM   
Maciek

E-mail to Tamas Kiss has been sent.
Week has passed.
No (ANY) answer.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 18
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 10/6/2015 2:39:50 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maciek
E-mail to Tamas Kiss has been sent.
Week has passed.
No (ANY) answer.

I don't know what else to tell you dude. Send another email?

(in reply to Maciek)
Post #: 19
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 10/24/2015 12:21:51 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin
I'd love to see a Stalingrad scenario at coy scale..but upto regiment would be cool. Sorry I have none of my own..

There's a tactical version of FITE that you could play. I've moved some units around and looked it over but it looked
like thousands of units and a huge map and a major life time investment.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 20
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 11/25/2015 10:19:57 PM   
BeirutDude

I designed a lot of scenarios for all of the previous versions, How can I help? I can't get into my version of TOAW III anymore as my Key doesn't seem to work, but I think I have the scenarios backed up. Things like Chinese Farm 73, etc. So how can I help?

Al Sandrik

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

Post #: 21
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 8/28/2016 9:48:41 PM   
Trick37_MatrixForum

How about all previous scenarios, including those developed by others?

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 22
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 9/23/2016 3:50:12 AM   
Custer7

Good day.

Not sure if there is a deadline. I have been working on a modification of Tim McBride's Operation Roundup 1943 with version III w/current updates. It is reworked enough that it is completely different. But I would rather have his input too. I am not sure how to reach him. Just found him in the forum and send a message a minute ago. It was originally a play by email only. I have been working on the PO for both sides. I would say it needs some tweaking, but as is it can be challenging at times vs the PO. Needs more consistency in how the Axis units are named, not so great with the German keyboard set up. The OOB is updated as the internet allowed me to find pieces here and there. I was wondering how far things are along on version IV submissions. Thank you.

Marc J. Custer

(in reply to Trick37_MatrixForum)
Post #: 23
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 9/23/2016 6:05:24 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

I was wondering how far things are along on version IV submissions

Steve Sill, Thomas Harvey and I are all working on next version scenario's. We're playtesting them to find all the little bugs before they
get released in the wild. My B41 mod isn't working just right and probably won't make the release date. Depends. Yeah, we've been
playtesting for a long time now. 8 months or more. There was a new version of the game engine released just an hour ago. I'm using
it already. Ralph is on the ball lately.

(in reply to Custer7)
Post #: 24
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 9/24/2016 3:56:47 AM   
FF_1079

Hey Larry,

Will there be a fair amount of smaller scenarios in addition to the monsters like FITE? I remember a small Grenada scenario from ACOW that took only about an hour to work through, sometimes a quicky is a good thing!

Fondly remembers SSI's "Clash of Steel"

Post #: 25
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 9/24/2016 4:05:28 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: FF_1079
Hey Larry,

Will there be a fair amount of smaller scenarios in addition to the monsters like FITE? I remember a small Grenada scenario from ACOW that took only about an hour to work through, sometimes a quicky is a good thing!

Well, it depends on what you consider "playable". All of the classic scenario's have been converted to the new version but they
haven't all been playtested to see if something broke with the scenario. So you can play it sure, but it might not have the same
balance, or the events might need adjusting, or you know, some small tweak might need to be applied. There's a new scheme to
handle the theater recon value for both sides. Things like that. Plus those scenario's that have a significant number of ships in
them might need balancing since the ships really act like ships now instead of just floating arty. The Grenada scenario is one
that I have powered up some years ago but I don't remember anything special about it that would have something broken just by a
new version. I'd have to take a look at the events to make sure but it sounds like it might be good to go right out of the box.
The only way to make sure is play it.

EDIT: The parts of the above paragraph that describe what needs to be done to a scenario to convert it to the new version has
been done to all the classic scenario's. So right out of the box is the new version already fixed up for the new version.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 9/24/2016 4:08:53 AM >

(in reply to FF_1079)
Post #: 26
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 9/29/2016 5:16:10 PM   
r6kunz

Hi Marc,
I am looking at your scenario...I think it would make a nice addition to TOAW IV

Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.

(in reply to Custer7)
Post #: 27
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 9/29/2016 10:38:17 PM   
FF_1079

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: FF_1079
Hey Larry,

Well, it depends on what you consider "playable". All of the classic scenario's have been converted to the new version but they
haven't all been playtested to see if something broke with the scenario. So you can play it sure, but it might not have the same
balance, or the events might need adjusting, or you know, some small tweak might need to be applied. There's a new scheme to
handle the theater recon value for both sides. Things like that. Plus those scenario's that have a significant number of ships in
them might need balancing since the ships really act like ships now instead of just floating arty. The Grenada scenario is one
that I have powered up some years ago but I don't remember anything special about it that would have something broken just by a
new version. I'd have to take a look at the events to make sure but it sounds like it might be good to go right out of the box.
The only way to make sure is play it.

EDIT: The parts of the above paragraph that describe what needs to be done to a scenario to convert it to the new version has
been done to all the classic scenario's. So right out of the box is the new version already fixed up for the new version.

Awesome news! The first full scenario I played from my first version of TOAW was the Korean War that was used as a "try before you buy" sample. I bought the game after playing the turn limited sample several times, I look forward to playing it again once the new game version is ready.

Fondly remembers SSI's "Clash of Steel"

Post #: 28
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 10/10/2016 9:58:34 PM   
Custer7

I am working on a version for IV now. Seems not to support the "SS" rune that many used, hoping I got them all redone. No biggie. New naval system made for some adjustments in Allied objectives. Must admit it makes it a whole different game when it comes to invasions. A few changes in the OOB.

(in reply to FF_1079)
Post #: 29
RE: Add your scenario to TOAW4! - 10/10/2016 10:50:10 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Custer7
I am working on a version for IV now.

That sounds awesume and then some. What's it about. Details, details.

quote:

Seems not to support the "SS" rune that many used, hoping I got them all redone. No biggie.

Yeah, I saw that too. I'm hoping it'll be fixed/restored sometime in the near future myself.

quote:

New naval system made for some adjustments in Allied objectives. Must admit it makes it a whole different game when it comes to invasions. A few changes in the OOB.

Thomas Harvey and I played his Pacific at War scenario several times playtesting it and you're right, there was an evolution
of primative naval tactics Thomas and I came up with. It's all documented in the AAR we did on the development board. At length.

EDIT: [added the link to the aar, and yes I can post a link to the development board because I tested it and it won't let just anybody
in there. If you can't get in there you can't get to the AAR either, sorry.

Here's the link to the AAR:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3932556

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 10/10/2016 11:03:30 PM >

(in reply to Custer7)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Add your scenario to TOAW4! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI