Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

help me make my wife like SPWAW !

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> help me make my wife like SPWAW ! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
help me make my wife like SPWAW ! - 4/23/2001 4:41:00 AM   
Antonius

today i convonved my wife to try SPWAW and made her play the tutorial scen with a basic instruction about how to fire weapons, lmoad units, etc...... Much to my surprise, she has asked me for more :) .... and also for easy to win scens. But I play mostly PBEM games and campaigns and haven't played many scens so I'm at a loss to provide her with a quite short and easy scen. Which one should I make her play next ?

Wargamo, ergo sum
Post #: 1
- 4/23/2001 5:06:00 AM   
ruxius

Oh Antonius Octavianus : AVE ATQUE VALE ! Do you know you have the best wife I have ever dreamed ? How did you succed in convoying her through SPWAW ? You are very lucky..let me tell you.. How can I help you ? Give her a platoon of your tanks to lead in one of your PBEM games against a real human opponent... She will move them through the battlefield where your platoons are....and she will be held to your destiny...and you will try to protect her.. Always togheter you and her..EVERYWHERE ! That's an happy marriage.. but.. but... but just prepare yourself to do that old hated thing you always denied to her will.. she deserves it now :D :D

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 2
- 4/23/2001 5:57:00 AM   
Don

Good work, Antonius! If you have the other tutorials from the site below (Bonzo's great site), I would have her play the "Flanking" tutorial with prefernces adjusted so that she can blow up some tanks. I would also suggest the artillery tutorial, where she could pound the Nazi's into paste! That one is fun anyway! :D

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 3
- 4/23/2001 6:24:00 AM   
Drex

Don: How about a tutorial on how to get the wives to like SPWAW? Or maybe Antonius should do that one.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 4
- 4/23/2001 7:32:00 AM   
Tom_Davie

I can't tell you how to get your wife more interested in SP:WAW, but I do have a few tips/pointers for getting girldreind's/wifes interested in computer gaming as a whole. This is using my girlfreind as a model. 1. Make sure thatb she has her own computer capable of running the software that you have (no problem for me as she actually has a better computer). 2. Get her really interested/addicted in one game. Any game. Doesn't matter what the genre is. My GF is addicted to Magic: The Gathering, and can easily play it for about 12 hours on a Saturday. This establishes the type of behaviour you want, if not the specifics. 4. Start discussing the period history with her over dinner and a few bottles of wine (my gf likes beer and scotch....joy!). If she asks questions with interest, she's hooked and it's a matter of time. 5. Bring up the topic of a certain game which models this aspect of your conversation really well. It helps immensely if you can play this cooperatively. 6. In my case, the game happens t0 be Europa Universalis, and I've gotten her to the point where she will play coop with me, in leading a pan Europe defense against post Crusade Muslim expansion. Careful planning lads, thats all it takes. And never, ever, EVER play against them and win. This is a bad idea, and the consequences could be severe and long lasting. Tom

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 5
- 4/23/2001 9:27:00 AM   
Figmo

My suggestion would be "Raider's Ride to work"!! And before she plays it - load it in the editor and change one of the tank commanders to have her name. You can also point out that there are other women in the scenario - She'll have to find them. That might get her interest!! Good Luck!! :D Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 6
- 4/23/2001 5:51:00 PM   
WanhaPatu

quote:

Originally posted by ruxius: Oh Antonius Octavianus : AVE ATQUE VALE ! Do you know you have the best wife I have ever dreamed ? How did you succed in convoying her through SPWAW ?
My girlfriend tried Steel Panthers 2 and liked it. At first She didn't want to try WaW because She didn't know anything about WWII tanks but when She saw how much fun we had playing it with my friend (TCP/IP) She wanted to give it a try. And now we very often play 1 vs 2 games with Her and my friend. And we do have great time! Now we are just waiting for 5.0 to be released as there are a LOT of bugs in 4.5. [ April 23, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmo Paananen ]

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 7
- 4/23/2001 9:11:00 PM   
Antonius

Ruxius: yes, she is the best wife in the world and I'm the happy one who married her ! She is not ready yet for PBEM as she wouldn't like beating some human - she even felt guilty when finishing off AI crews in the tutorial ! Don: those other tutorials are a good idea; I will reedit the flanking one to add some more Russian tanks instead of adusting the preferences (which IMHO gives a distorted pêrception of what will happen in other scens) Tom: my wife already been through all that, that's how I could make her play the game :-) Figmo: I'll never give her name to a tank commander, she just might be too upset if she gets too emotionnally involved and then killed - remember she is a WOMAN Drex: you may be right, I should design customs scens to make wives like the game. For now I want her to win and not have to go into technical data. A platoon of Tigers against 2 dozens of T34-41 might be a good one to start with. Nonone has a suggestion among the scens provided with the game ? One won pretty easily ?

Wargamo, ergo sum

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 8
- 4/23/2001 11:49:00 PM   
Grumble

You know, This could be a tactical deception op, to blackmail you into wtching hours of "Chik Flix". "Well, I tried that game you always play.." If you get dragged off to "Bridget Jones", or she comes home with armloads of Meg Ryan/Nora Dunn DVDs don't say you weren't warned... :)

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 9
- 4/24/2001 12:23:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

quote:

Originally posted by Antonius: today i convonved my wife to try SPWAW and made her play the tutorial scen with a basic instruction about how to fire weapons, lmoad units, etc...... Much to my surprise, she has asked me for more :) .... and also for easy to win scens. But I play mostly PBEM games and campaigns and haven't played many scens so I'm at a loss to provide her with a quite short and easy scen. Which one should I make her play next ?

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 10
- 4/24/2001 12:26:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

quote:

Originally posted by Antonius: today i convonved my wife to try SPWAW and made her play the tutorial scen with a basic instruction about how to fire weapons, lmoad units, etc...... Much to my surprise, she has asked me for more :) .... and also for easy to win scens. But I play mostly PBEM games and campaigns and haven't played many scens so I'm at a loss to provide her with a quite short and easy scen. Which one should I make her play next ?
Why don’t you try to play hot-seat game with her?

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 11
- 4/24/2001 1:57:00 AM   
halstein

So now we will have a new cause for divorce. Beating once's spouce in SPWaW.

Halstein

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 12
- 4/24/2001 2:04:00 AM   
Don

quote:

Don: those other tutorials are a good idea; I will reedit the flanking one to add some more Russian tanks instead of adusting the preferences (which IMHO gives a distorted pêrception of what will happen in other scens)
That's great - anyway you do it that has her playing is fine - but I'd be careful! If she plays the tutorials and learns tactics AND how to use arty it could be bad for you! LOL

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 13
- 4/24/2001 2:54:00 AM   
Mikimoto

NO, NO, NO!!! My wife hates SpWaW and my Computer (dear one) and I am proud of it. If she loves a computer game, she lefts me without my comp. When I was playing SP1 like a possesed man, some years ago, She loved DungeonHack (RPG) and she played two or three days a week. Damned thing!!! When SHE plays I can't play. It is best she is apart from my hobby, because we have only one computer at home. And version 5.0 and Megacampaign will arrive soon... and I want to play a lot!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 14
- 4/24/2001 3:02:00 AM   
Don Doom

Sounds like a good reason to buy her, her own pc. Plus that way you can network them together and play head to head. :D :cool:

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 15
- 4/24/2001 3:05:00 AM   
Mikimoto

quote:

Originally posted by Don Doom: Sounds like a good reason to buy her, her own pc. Plus that way you can network them together and play head to head. :D :cool:
Hello, Doom. I agree with you. That's the solution. And another for my two daughters. They have not enough with the Nintendo and Gameboys. My ruin!!! ;) :D

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 16
- 4/24/2001 4:08:00 AM   
El Che

quote:

Are you crazy? You’re teaching SPWAW your wife? You must stop to do it immediately! Look, for your and our own good I must tell you something that you probably don’t know: Women are much more intelligent than we are –And that we ever been or will. If we men have had the advantage until know, it was only because human civilization was based on muscles since ancient times, and on engine power since industrial age. But now a days that we’re moving into a informational society all that is solid (muscles and engines) melts into the air. And only intelligence rests. Do you understand what this imply? Our little advantage is vanishing! So, if you teach a woman how to play SPWAW, in a very short time she will be playing much better than you. But this won’t stops there! No! You probably have noticed know that women talk a lot each others. That means that in a very short period of time we’ll have a legion of women-spwaw-players that will defect all of us on PBM and on-line-games. And not only that! They will start to participate on this Forum! And to impose their wills! Do you know what will be the first think that they are going to ask? a SPWAW for Mac! So you can forget about new SPWAW versions, or the new “world at world, tactical WW2 warfare”, because all Matrix’s programmers will be working on this new project. But they won’t stop there. No! Women never stops! (you all now that!) New terrain features: 1. Flower stonemasons 2. Different colors for wood builds Re design units icons (“this stupid olive green that’s every where doesn’t match with anything! Let’s paint all T-34 on lilac! All Sherman on fluo tones! And all German tanks on orange with turquoise spots” ;) And so on... Well, I hope that this have helped to all of you understand the potential dangers of teach things to your wives. Remember: we live in a macho society and we have to defend it at any cost... ;) :eek: Women are much more intelligent than we are

Hasta la victoria siempre!

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 17
- 4/24/2001 4:20:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

quote:

Originally posted by Kimmo Paananen: My girlfriend tried Steel Panthers 2 and liked it. At first She didn't want to try WaW because She didn't know anything about WWII tanks [ April 23, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmo Paananen ]
Does this means that your wife knows a lot about modern tanks??!! :eek:

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 18
- 4/24/2001 4:22:00 AM   
Mikimoto

Palabra de Dios.... esto, muy bien dicho Che!!! English translation: Gods words. Well said Che!!! Saludos. ;)

Desperta ferro!
Miquel Guasch Aparicio

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 19
- 4/24/2001 4:27:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

quote:

Originally posted by El Che: all that is solid (muscles and engines) melts into the air.
Che: This saying is a quote from “Communist Manifesto”, isn’t it? :p Che Bolú: dónde estás?? no estás en baires seguro ... no contestás mails, pensé que te agarraba logeado acá y que te podía agarrar con el icq, pero ni ahí... te podés poner en contacto con migo, querido, que te tengo una noticia que te va a sentar de traste! Buhé! te digo: se casa Nadra!

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 20
- 4/24/2001 4:38:00 AM   
El Che

quote:

Originally posted by Gallo Rojo: Che: This saying is a quote from “Communist Manifesto”, isn’t it?
Yes, you get me!
quote:

Che Bolú: dónde estás?? no estás en baires seguro ... no contestás mails, pensé que te agarraba logeado acá y que te podía agarrar con el icq, pero ni ahí... te podés poner en contacto con migo, querido, que te tengo una noticia que te va a sentar de traste! Buhé! te digo: se casa Nadra![/QB]
Noooooo!!!! Cae un bastión!!! A las barricadas!! en cualquier momento me vuelven a agarrar a mí!! ;) Si no me encontrás es porque no estoy levantando mails de la dirección de siempre. Para los viajes tengo una nueva de excite que me gusta más porque te dice si tenés mail directamente desde la pagina. Estoy en "La Gran Manzana" por unos días. Luego en una de esas me paso unos días por "el largo lagarto verde" (if you know what I'm saying) a visitar a Andre. Mikimoko: Muchas gracias! Ves que si uno deja el mundo en manos de los gringos crean un matriarcado y mandan todo al tacho! Saludos

Hasta la victoria siempre!

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 21
- 4/24/2001 9:16:00 AM   
Alexandra

Well, I have to say I've found this thread quite amusing. Now, as a woman, let me chuck in my two sense. I want to echo an earlier comment - Any way you get her playing is fine. It's quite nice when you and your spouse share hobbies - it's one of the best parts of my own marriage, so I speak from experience. However, I'd advise you to take all the advice in this thread with a grain of salt. You, more than any of us, know the qualities of your girl, and need to tweak the advice that way. As an expample, my hubby knows better than to 'let me win.' I wanna have fun, when I game, I really don't care if I win or lose. Of all my PBeM's, I still like the first best, and I lost bad. If she's competetive by nature, play her competetively. If she just wants to play rarely, to share your hobby, play her less mean :) Overall, though, you really have to feel things out by ear, and take the course that works best for you and her. Good Luck! Alex

"Tonight a dynasty is born." Ricky Proehl, then of the Saint Louis Rams. He was right! Go Pats! Winners of Super Bowls 36, 38 and 39.

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 22
- 4/24/2001 1:03:00 PM   
WanhaPatu

quote:

Originally posted by El Che: Women are much more intelligent than we are –And that we ever been or will.
That's so true! I lost the second battle we played with SP2 even though She knows (knew)nothing about tanks! ;)

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 23
- 4/24/2001 1:06:00 PM   
WanhaPatu

quote:

Originally posted by Gallo Rojo: Does this means that your wife knows a lot about modern tanks??!! :eek:
No, not much. But as She played mostly with US troops, She learned pretty quickly that "Always buy Abrams & TOW's" :) Not to mention those darn snipers... And She is not my wife. At least not yet.

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 24
- 4/24/2001 1:14:00 PM   
WanhaPatu

Originally posted by Alexandra: Now, as a woman, let me chuck in my two sense. I want to echo an earlier comment - Any way you get her playing is fine. It's quite nice when you and your spouse share hobbies - it's one of the best parts of my own marriage, so I speak from experience. Nice to see that there are also women reading this messageboard :) You are speaking the words of truth - we share all our hobbies and it is fun! As an expample, my hubby knows better than to 'let me win.' I wanna have fun, when I game, I really don't care if I win or lose. Of all my PBeM's, I still like the first best, and I lost bad. If she's I always have to use 100% of my skills to beat Her in SP2. It is a bit easier with WaW. And I have played SP-series since SP1 was published! [ April 24, 2001: Message edited by: Kimmo Paananen ]

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 25
- 4/24/2001 5:27:00 PM   
skukko

most interesting...here is more women reading this than you can think of... But My wife started to play board games, mostly ad&d for beginners, then moved to consols, same area, roleplaying, now she'll have to order our girls ( or I ) to sleep early to get time to play Baldurs Gate2...She is thinking of starting it again, with updateds. We are both waiting Fallout Tactics to come out..And she has shown interest to spwaw, (most expected thing as I usually do something spwaw related) and I even have had her watching WW2 documents of tanks and great war operations such as war at Africa, Operation Barbarossa, and recent in this line is Battle of Kursk, (how do you spell it in english?) Also he has been reading books of war from my little collection... Very nice, not so uncommon behavior when two species meet each other and are equals in whole area of life. good luck to all with your attempts to continue life with these nice little Gods creatures :D mosh

salute

mosh

If its not rotten, shoot again

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 26
- 4/25/2001 7:01:00 AM   
ruxius

LOL here ...trying to imagine your wives..they are so different from italian typical girls..here we are still surprised if a girl can to understand the difference between a TV and a PC...ecexpt for that rare minority of girls who attend science computing university (like mine girlfriend) and who regularly HATE any PC-games and the PC in general.. They are too professional job-oriented for my taste.. :)...It's so difficult here to find a supporter of SPWAW around my city that thinking at a girl playing SPWAW recalls me drug's visions P.S To Tom_Davie : Hi ,Medieval Knight..will you please tell me more about that game "Europa Universalis" ? I am very interested in the subject.. To Alexandra : Welcome senorita ! Here armored girls are so rare that still I feel suspicious about you :p :D NOw I will test your typical female attitudes : Which is your idea about cleaning ? ..... If you are thinking at : "raising up my leg so that my wife can go on with the vacuum cleaner.." ok you are the tipical man reading his daily newspaper..!! :) Anyway , you know I am kidding... but let me say I am very curious about you..which is your husband's attitude towards SPWAW ? Please answer to this..I am VERY VERY curious Don't tell me he likes to go dancing...

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 27
- 4/27/2001 4:15:00 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmmmm actually I am glad Alexandra posted a reply here. It at least allowed at least one female reply to be read by me. I have noticed that women roleplay a great deal better than most men (but they lack the interference caused by penis envy, so they have an unfair advantage). its therefore not illogical to assume they might make good wargammers. Wargames being a differing sort of competitiveness though, its not automatically true (gotta watch them sweeping generalisations). Now I have noticed her getting easily obsessed playing Heroes of Might and Magic (I have latest version stuff). And I have noticed her logical mind doesnt automatically translate into strategic brilliance. Concerning sharing the computer time, heheeh yeah sure it might be a dumb idea showing her how to use up your computer access duhhhhh!!! That and it might be a ploy to sucker ya into something sappy (equal time thing). Then again....when was the last time you were able to enjoy the aftereffects of watching a sappy movie....Steel Panthers is just no competition to her seemingly absently walking by clad in only a shirt (talk about fog of war, I lose track of my ability to even see the screen hehehe).

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 28
- 4/29/2001 9:11:00 PM   
Figmo

Antonius, Don't know if this will help but I saw this looking for something else and thought of you. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wargaming_Women Wargaming_Women This is a group for women but caring men or other creatures are welcome too. I know there are Wargaming Women out there, so come on, let's unite! We are a special little minority group subject to the oddities of an all-male arena. This is a place to vent your frustrations or find a sympathetic ear before you go back out and take on the men at their own game again! I'm mainly into Games Workshop stuff but you can talk about whatever you like here. Just no flaming (insults) against other members, ... more ------------------------------------------- Maybe she can recruit some women for SPWaW!! :D Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 29
- 4/30/2001 1:15:00 AM   
dox44

my wife doesn't mind it at all... she was born in hawaii, her parents were missionaries, she spent spent 15 years in vietnam (61-75), around hue...her dad was one of the last to leave...in a boat no less....they had their kitchen blown up by a nv rocket...still has pieces of it...she especially likes the helicopters in SP2 and 3...they bring back a lot of memories...some good; some bad... isn't life strange.

(in reply to Antonius)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> help me make my wife like SPWAW ! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI