Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Operation Typhoon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Operation Typhoon Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Operation Typhoon - 12/2/2015 5:24:04 AM   
battlevonwar

Last year I had decided to dig into WW2 History, I found this book and it went into archives such as individual soldier's and commander's letter's in a way that I had never read. I am certain there are a dozen great novels on this subject but this was quite incredible.

In game the object of a push on Moscow is not a Prime Objective. Though historically how many of you agree that this was the victory objective and only one that would for tell the future of Europe?

The Drive on Moscow 1941, By: Niklas Zetterling, Anders Frankson

Just a few points that I would add. The Soviets had packed up to move on out to fight from the Urals. So it's very likely an end to the war would never had happened. The amount of Reserves and Soldiers on The Russian Side was unbelievable. The GHC blundered here(if I remember correctly the Germans had no clue they had finally stepped into the Hornet's nest). Plus the time wasted on other objectives and there is a constant and continual discussion of mud. The letters of the average German soldier did nothing but complain about weather, mud and conditions endlessly.

When I have started in game as the German side you want to make the game playable and I know little objectives are what do this. Nobody know's if an all out on Moscow would have changed things. However I am sitting here thinking that I'm punished for aiming for Moscow immensely and Typhoon to me is the ultimate Victory. I have not finished all the manuals or even my first game but picking the Moscow Objective is Punished, would be nice to see more for this objective. Also very deep and enlightening game so far on points of history and points on both sides !!!
Post #: 1
RE: Operation Typhoon - 12/2/2015 5:40:05 AM   
zakblood

imo a better read would be one of the books here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/archaeology/napoleon_army_01.shtml

and see how a past master also got it wrong

(in reply to battlevonwar)
Post #: 2
RE: Operation Typhoon - 12/2/2015 5:54:58 AM   
battlevonwar

Link didn't work, but I will have to read up on Nappy at some point. I have watched dozens of documentaries on him and his campaign East... People don't learn

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

imo a better read would be one of the books here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/archaeology/napoleon_army_01.shtml

and see how a past master also got it wrong

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: Operation Typhoon - 12/2/2015 6:17:51 AM   
zakblood

copy and paste into browser, it's not a hot link, but does work, and does give some good reasons why both don't work, it's all about, distance, supply and the bane of both the weather

(in reply to battlevonwar)
Post #: 4
RE: Operation Typhoon - 12/2/2015 10:04:09 AM   
BodyBag33

Well, Moscow in 1941 was very different than in 1812.

The Soviet Union was extremely centralised, and Moscow was the nervecenter for all communication, planning and decision-making in this giant country.
It is not unconcieveable that with Moscow knocked out, the rest of the Soviet Regime would have folded, or at least find it very hard to fight on.

The panic in Moscow was real, and when it looked the worst, Stalin actually offered the whole of Belarus to Hitler for peace. This was rejected, and the secret negotiations was cancelled.

Imagine a nightmare scenario with Hitler-Germany at peace to the East, and with the vast ressources of Belarus to fuel his war-machine against the West!

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> Operation Typhoon Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI