Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Canada and India invaded!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Canada and India invaded! Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 4:15:15 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

It's nearly impossible to really threaten India begining late summer of '42. The Allies grow too strong by then. By autumn, Lowpe would be bogged down in an immense morass.

To even pose a real threat (as opposed to a more localized operation), he'd need to bring 15 to 20 divisions (or equivalent). He'd probably need to land in force behind your lines somewhere. He'd probably need the full KB. And you should get all kinds of intel that troops are prepping or troops are inbound. So you should have some warning. Plus, you'll be building forts like crazy at Bombay and Karachi. and other key bases. And be sure to send a zillion supply form Capetown/Aden to Karachi before the door closes. Also, be sure to keep anti-paratroop garrisons at any base remotely useful to you or Lowpe - especially key railroad and road junctions.

Don't allow troops to get marooned on Ceylon. You need enough to keep Lowpe honest, but you can't hold it if he comes for it. India's far more important and imminently more defensible.

I just can't imagine Lowpe doing this at this late date.

All this you know, of course, but I can't help stream-of-consciousness thinking.

I agree on all points. India is beyond Japanese capabilities this late and considering the commitment in NORPAC. I know of at least 2 full IDs still in NORPAC (4th and 21st was just confirmed by SIGINT in NORPAC)

I really don´t understand what Jeff is doing in India to begin with. And why is he risking his troops here against a much stronger foe? For very few VPs and very little industry?

Karachi and Bombay have been building forts from the very first turn. Not sure where they are at right now but at least 6+ by now. He also would have to defeat the entire RN (and a big US naval force to get there). So unless KB shows up there is very little threat. This is big comfort for me and have allowed me to release a lot of forces from Karachi and Bombay to the front line. Jeff moving KB to SOPAC was a blessing for me.

Convoys are constantly moving fuel and supply to India. Only time it stops is when CT is drained. Abadan I have been unable to drain though...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1351
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 4:18:23 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
Can you get it online, perhaps? They're a much bigger operation than they used to be (they were sold to a big distillery in Indiana... and it's questionable whether it's still the same recipe, but it's still tasty so whatever).

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-15758.aspx

That is actually not a bad idea. Will have to give it some thought though. Its 60 Euro and I just bought a bunch of books for 280 Euro. Don´t want the missus to go medieval on me!

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 1352
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 4:21:58 PM   
JocMeister

PS. Turn is away and the attack is ordered. Unless Jeff has more then I can imagine we should do well tomorrow. He has been hitting my troops from the air but AA has kept them at bay.

But a little bit of can´t hurt...

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1353
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 5:24:33 PM   
JocMeister

Asansol

Jeff had snuck in another division! We still did good and will overwhelm him in the next attack. Need to wait for supply before that though...again.

quote:

Ground combat at Asansol (53,34)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 72886 troops, 1191 guns, 1015 vehicles, Assault Value = 2386

Defending force 39042 troops, 549 guns, 270 vehicles, Assault Value = 1146

Allied adjusted assault: 1134

Japanese adjusted defense: 498

Allied assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 2)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: preparation(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2785 casualties reported
Squads: 64 destroyed, 144 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 39 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 24 disabled
Guns lost 63 (7 destroyed, 56 disabled)
Vehicles lost 38 (4 destroyed, 34 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
2923 casualties reported
Squads: 10 destroyed, 154 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 50 disabled
Engineers: 90 destroyed, 47 disabled
Guns lost 21 (1 destroyed, 20 disabled)
Vehicles lost 47 (5 destroyed, 42 disabled)

Assaulting units:
I Aus Corps Engineer Battalion
18th British Division
254th Armoured Brigade
7th Australian Division
7th Armoured Brigade
32nd Infantry Division
6th Australian Division
70th British Division
95th Heavy AA Regiment
77th Heavy AA Regiment
2/9th Field Regiment
2/11th Field Regiment
2/1st Med Regiment
1st Indian Light AA Regiment
1st Indian Heavy AA Regiment

Defending units:
4th Ind.Mixed Regiment
38th Division
4th Guards Division

8th Tank Regiment
17th Indpt Guards Regiment
3rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
3rd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
3rd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
2nd Mortar Battalion
20th AA Regiment
3rd Mortar Battalion
20th Ind. Mtn Gun Battalion
51st Field AA Battalion
2nd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
10th Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
14th Ind.Art.Mortar Bn /5

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1354
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 5:26:17 PM   
JocMeister

SOPAC

Uhm. Hello?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1355
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 5:35:51 PM   
Canoerebel

That's a very favorable result for you at Asanol. Lowpe will be very concerned, so he'll probably LRCAP and bomb your troops, hoping for time to bring in reinforcements (are any close by?) and to rebuild his forts. But he controls multiple hexsides so he doesn't have to worry about being isolated, I don't think. Still, if you force his stack to retreat, two divisions and three infantry/tank regiments are going to be in bad shape.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1356
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 5:39:08 PM   
Rio Bravo

Joc-

The Allies are coming back with a vengeance!

Nice job.

India is yours!

Best Regards,

-Terry

"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1357
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 5:47:49 PM   
Canoerebel

Do you think this is Lowpe's first awareness that 32nd USA Division in India? If so, what do you think he'll make of that info?

(in reply to Rio Bravo)
Post #: 1358
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 5:47:57 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

That's a very favorable result for you at Asanol. Lowpe will be very concerned, so he'll probably LRCAP and bomb your troops, hoping for time to bring in reinforcements (are any close by?) and to rebuild his forts. But he controls multiple hexsides so he doesn't have to worry about being isolated, I don't think. Still, if you force his stack to retreat, two divisions and three infantry/tank regiments are going to be in bad shape.

Yeah, very happy with the result! He has forces moving from Dacca but I have 1200 AV moving in to intercept them. So he will have to go a long way around if he wants to reinforce at Asansol. He is also moving what appears to be a regiment down from the North. They are being followed by another 800 allied (including the best Indian ID I have) AV though.

I think unless he can pull a rabbit out of the hat he has one or possibly two attacks before he is forcible evicted.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1359
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 5:50:33 PM   
Canoerebel

I think your next attack succeeds unless he brings in reinforcements (remember, he can strat mode them into the contested hex, though doing so leaves them vulnerable) or unless your undersupplied. With a 2:1 and two forts dropping to one on the last attack, I think you might hazard a shock attack next turn. I'd definitely do it if you can check off these three things: (1) you have suppy; (2) you aren't unduly disrupted and fatigued; and (3) there's no risk of meaningful IJA reinforcements arriving.

My sense is that a shock will work here. If so, his stack will be in terrible condition.

Good luck!

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1360
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 5:55:31 PM   
JocMeister

India

A bit cluttered but I hope its somewhat clear what is happening. 2nd British are just 2 days out from Calcutta now. 2nd Marines are about 2 weeks out.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1361
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 5:55:55 PM   
tiemanjw

quote:

I think your next attack succeeds unless he brings in reinforcements (remember, he can strat mode them into the contested hex, though doing so leaves them vulnerable) or unless your undersupplied. With a 2:1 and two forts dropping to one on the last attack, I think you might hazard a shock attack next turn. I'd definitely do it if you can check off these three things: (1) you have suppy; (2) you aren't unduly disrupted and fatigued; and (3) there's no risk of meaningful IJA reinforcements arriving.

My sense is that a shock will work here. If so, his stack will be in terrible condition.

Good luck!

agreed... though if you can prevent any reinforcements from entering, another deliberate, followed by a shock attack with the tanks in reserve mode.
Or if you could hit him hard from the air (do you have anything left?), shock attack next with the tanks in reserve.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1362
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 5:56:51 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

Good luck!

I think so too. Sadly supply is in the red again so I´ll have to wait. Disruption and fatigue are under control though. Nothing too bad.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1363
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 5:58:26 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: tiemanj
agreed... though if you can prevent any reinforcements from entering, another deliberate, followed by a shock attack with the tanks in reserve mode.
Or if you could hit him hard from the air (do you have anything left?), shock attack next with the tanks in reserve.

Air is gone and will be for a while. Have some 4Es coming in but they are 7 days from CT.

I´ll attack as soon as supply are back in white!

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 1364
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 6:02:11 PM   
tiemanjw

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

quote:

Air is gone and will be for a while. Have some 4Es coming in but they are 7 days from CT.

How red is red? Remember that supply usage goes up considerably when you go into combat. What was white yesterday is red today (even if their hadn't been any supply draw). If your divisions are still in 4 digits, I'd go now. Always remember, he is hurting too - and in this case, more than you. Wait, and he gets supplies, his disruption gets lower, he recovers disabled squads, and he builds forts.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1365
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 6:07:19 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

More stream of consciousness here: I usually build up the Socatra airfield so that TFs inbound from Capetown and carrying airfcraft can unload there. Speeds up arrival at the front by roughly four to six days.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1366
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 7:37:06 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

quote:

quote:

How red is red? Remember that supply usage goes up considerably when you go into combat. What was white yesterday is red today (even if their hadn't been any supply draw). If your divisions are still in 4 digits, I'd go now. Always remember, he is hurting too - and in this case, more than you. Wait, and he gets supplies, his disruption gets lower, he recovers disabled squads, and he builds forts.

All IDs are juuuust above 1k. So they are all 2-300 supplies short. Too much for me to risk an attack.

(in reply to tiemanjw)
Post #: 1367
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 7:37:47 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

More stream of consciousness here: I usually build up the Socatra airfield so that TFs inbound from Capetown and carrying airfcraft can unload there. Speeds up arrival at the front by roughly four to six days.

That is something I had not thought of! Thanks for the advice.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1368
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 8:30:49 PM   
JeffroK

quote:

Do you think this is Lowpe's first awareness that 32nd USA Division in India? If so, what do you think he'll make of that info?

He might think SWPAC is a bit light on and make him frisky there?

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1369
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/11/2015 9:22:31 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

quote:

That is something I had not thought of! Thanks for the advice.

Never thought to do this either. Would really only work for fairly long range planes right?

Would likely suffer some ops losses for the long range transfers, but weighed against the potential to lose the entire squadron to a sub attack it seems to weigh out positively.

Hans

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1370
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/12/2015 12:12:02 AM   
JeffroK

Do you have any spare units which can make moves to either delay or give Lowpe cause to withhold reinforcement?

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 1371
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/12/2015 5:57:31 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

I´m not sure. If he has done his homework he should know about the Americal starting in OZ. Besides them I´ve only sent the 27th ID there.

Perhaps he is underestimating the Australian army? While not the most powerful units there are still plenty of full IDs with decent EXP. In a defensive role with some good terrain and backed up with extra arty and some armor I think they can prove quite resilient.

quote:

Do you have any spare units which can make moves to either delay or give Lowpe cause to withhold reinforcement?

Do you mean the stack trying to push in between Asansol and Calcutta?

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 12/12/2015 6:59:31 AM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1372
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/12/2015 7:09:17 AM   
JocMeister

India

Quite surprisingly my units at Asansol were able to draw in more supplies after just a turn of waiting! Tomorrow we attack again. I decided against shock attacking. I´m short on combat engineers after the last attack and if Jeff got the forts back up we could do more harm to ourselves then to him with a shock attack.

His stack is showing movement to the NW. Probably wrecked units moving to Ranchi and then strat mode out. My 3 IDs move in to block Jeffs stack trying to slot in between Calcutta and Asansol. He should have shifted hex a long time ago though so this is just a feint from him. Nonetheless we are now in place.

2nd British just passed Nagpur. 2nd Marines will come on map in 2 days. British BBs will cover their crossing.

Jeff continues to bomb me from the air. He looses a couple bombers each time for no noticeable effect.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1373
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/12/2015 7:17:22 AM   
JocMeister

SOPAC

A small unit (probably a BF) lands at Belep Island. Not going to react to this until I know more. Something more is coming no doubt. Had a bit of good timing here.

quote:

Noumea expands fortifications to size 6

Started expending the airfield now. I´ve loaded up reinforcements for Noumea but they are holding for now. Doubled NavS on the OZ coast around Townesville.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1374
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/12/2015 7:56:07 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

quote:

I´m not sure. If he has done his homework he should know about the Americal starting in OZ. Besides them I´ve only sent the 27th ID there.

Perhaps he is underestimating the Australian army? While not the most powerful units there are still plenty of full IDs with decent EXP. In a defensive role with some good terrain and backed up with extra arty and some armor I think they can prove quite resilient.

If he is counting units, seeing 6 & 7 OZ & 32 US in India might appear that SWPAC only has Oz Militia and 1-2 US Divs, I dont overestimate the Australian Militia units, and the US Divs are (should be) far from being the lean, mean fighting machines of 1944-45.

IFF the japanese player can land 3-4 Divs at one point he should have enough force concentrated to take the base (Unless its your L6+forts at Noumea) and see off reaction forces as they arrive.

Lots depends on whether its a game for AV or 1945.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1375
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/12/2015 9:28:24 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

If he is counting units, seeing 6 & 7 OZ & 32 US in India might appear that SWPAC only has Oz Militia and 1-2 US Divs, I dont overestimate the Australian Militia units, and the US Divs are (should be) far from being the lean, mean fighting machines of 1944-45.

IFF the japanese player can land 3-4 Divs at one point he should have enough force concentrated to take the base (Unless its your L6+forts at Noumea) and see off reaction forces as they arrive.

Lots depends on whether its a game for AV or 1945.

I think the window for 3-4 IDs to run rampage in SOPAC are way past now. The OZ army actually upgrade from a militia to proper IDs in spring 42. Very light TOE but not that different from a standard Jap ID.

Most important factor though is forts. I have had 10 months to build forts. All important places have level 5-8 forts.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 12/12/2015 10:32:21 AM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1376
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/12/2015 10:24:43 AM   
JocMeister

SIGINT

Some very interesting SIGINT have dropped in the last couple of turns. Been a while since I sat down and went through everything. Its a good thing I did because I found a lot of interesting things.

quote:

2/25th/B Division is loaded on xAKL Gyoun Maru moving to Rangoon.
1/18th/B Division is located at Imphal(60,40).
5/19th Division is planning for an attack on Calcutta.
9/48th/A Division is planning for an attack on Prince Rupert.
21st/A Division is located at Skagway(191,35).
4th/B Division is located at Pearl Harbor(180,107).
18th/A Division is planning for an attack on Ledo.
4th/A Division is located at Pearl Harbor(180,107).

This is a just a couple. There are a ton more but I don´t want to dig them all up. I can´t stress to new players just how important keeping track of SIGINT is. Its THE most important tool you have early game and might provide your only chance to react to Japanese movement in time.

Anyway. This tells me three things I didn´t know.
-19th ID is in India or on its way.
-48th ID are on boats going somewhere and its not PR (He would need 10+ IDs for that). I bet they are going to India.
-25th ID are moving to India.

This boost Japanese strength to at least 7 IDs (5th, 18th, 25th, IGD, 38th, 4th Guards ID, 48th(?)). This still leaves him seriously understrength in India.

------------------------
NORPAC/CENTPAC
------------------------

4th ID at PH
21st at Skagway

------------------------
India
------------------------

4th Guards at Asansol
5th ID. Not seen in India but SIGINT showed them moving to Chittagong in Mars and planning for Calcutta in June.
18th ID
25th on ships to Rangoon
38th at Asansol
Imperial Guards at Ledo
19th planning for Calcutta. Last seen on Mindanao.

------------------------
China (Just realized this!!!)
------------------------

33rd ID (woot!)
Guards Tank Division (wooot?!)

Not really sure how I managed to miss this. But Jeff have actually moved the 33rd ID from NORPAC to...China. That is a huge Allied victory. I must really have frustrated him here.

Go me?!

------------------------
Unknown
------------------------

16th last seen at Coal Harbor. Most likely still there.
48th on ships. Last seen at Bella Bella. Probably moving for India.
6th Guards ID. Never seen (possibly China?). Begins at CRB in February.

Not sure if I have missed any? But its obvious Jeff has moved the bulk of his forces to India. In fact almost half of them are there.

------------------------
Conclusions
------------------------

This tells me many important things assuming I havn´t missed any major Japanese troops.
-There is NO threat to SOPAC. He would need 5-6 divisions to take any location of importance (Noumea, Suva) and mainland OZ/NZ is completely out of the picture.

-It also tells me there won´t be any WC invasion. He would need everything he has (10-15 IDs) to have even the slightest chance. With 9 IDs in India and China this is absolutely impossible. Thoughts?

-Jeff is slowly getting sucked into the Indian morass CR mentioned. He is now fighting the worst possible place the Japanese can fight. And more importantly he has completely lost the initiative. He is now reacting (and has been for the last few months) to an allied buildup in India.

-Japan is dangerously week in SOPAC and NORPAC.

I have to give this some more thoughts. But I see some interesting possibilities for the allies.

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 12/12/2015 1:40:46 PM >

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1377
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/12/2015 12:04:01 PM   
BBfanboy

Sigint is showing 4th division A and B portions in PH and then mentions just "4th ID", but does not mention 4th/C. Does that mean he has split the Division and sent some of it to other parts of Hawaii or SoPac? Could he be starting to extract the division?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 1378
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/12/2015 12:18:07 PM   
ny59giants

After running the Combat Replay and loading the actual turn, I ALWAYS hit the "L" key for SIGINT. If you skip a turn doing this you can miss something very important.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1379
RE: Canada and India invaded! - 12/12/2015 12:41:51 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Sigint is showing 4th division A and B portions in PH and then mentions just "4th ID", but does not mention 4th/C. Does that mean he has split the Division and sent some of it to other parts of Hawaii or SoPac? Could he be starting to extract the division?

I doubt that he would have sent them far away. He would want them close by to recombine if needed!

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

After running the Combat Replay and loading the actual turn, I ALWAYS hit the "L" key for SIGINT. If you skip a turn doing this you can miss something very important.

I actually do this before I do anything else.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1380
Page:   <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Canada and India invaded! Page: <<   < prev  44 45 [46] 47 48   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI