Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: European Championships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championships Page: <<   < prev  66 67 [68] 69 70   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: European Championships - 11/1/2015 8:47:48 AM   
Orm

Indeed.

You said it well.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2011
RE: European Championships - 11/7/2015 6:12:22 AM   
warspite1

John Terry really isn't very bright is he?

He says that he can take criticism from the likes of Neville, Carragher and Ferdinand - because they were top class players who 'had careers and won things'. But he won't take criticism from the likes of Robbie Savage because he played football 'at a low level'.

What an idiot. So only great players make successful managers do they? Mediocre players never make great managers? Hmmmm I think he needs to look at the playing career of his own manager for a start

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2012
RE: European Championships - 11/7/2015 6:34:17 AM   
Orm

There seem to be lots of players who think like that.

But who says that only smart people make great players?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2013
RE: European Championships - 11/7/2015 8:57:21 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

There seem to be lots of players who think like that.

But who says that only smart people make great players?

warspite1

I don't think I've ever heard a footballer being accused of being smart

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2014
RE: European Championships - 11/7/2015 9:01:26 AM   
Orm

I have always thought that Gary Lineker is smart. No idea if he is smart or not. But I do accuse him of it.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2015
RE: European Championships - 11/7/2015 9:06:17 AM   
warspite1

quote:

I have always thought that Gary Lineker is smart. No idea if he is smart or not. But I do accuse him of it.
warspite1

Well it was just a generalisation. Of course there are some smart ones - same as in any walk of life. I always remember Tony Galvin had a Russian degree.

But I think it is likely that the majority of footballers leave school early and/or with few qualifications.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2016
RE: European Championships - 11/7/2015 9:16:52 AM   
Orm

quote:

But I think it is likely that the majority of footballers leave school early and/or with few qualifications.

Indeed.

But, to me, getting an education is not the same as being smart. I think that there are smart people who do not have any education worth mentioning.

I also think that there are idiots out there who have a degree.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2017
RE: European Championships - 11/7/2015 9:19:30 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Indeed.

But, to me, getting an education is not the same as being smart. I think that there are smart people who do not have any education worth mentioning.

I also think that there are idiots out there who have a degree.
warspite1

Absolutely. The cleverest bloke I ever worked with left school with a handful of 'O' levels and have met more than my fair share of 'professional exam passers' who couldn't work their way out of a soggy paper bag

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2018
RE: European Championships - 11/16/2015 7:50:02 AM   
terje439

And there. Finally. We are not through, and as I've stated several times, a good thing it is.
So tired of norwegian media hyping the national team these days. They seem to forget something;

in -94 and -98 we had players playing regularily in the top european leagues (England and Germany primarily), and we had useful strikers. Nowadays we are playing players that are NOT playing in the second division in Germany. And our strikers are abysmal. So, the -94 and -98 teams were our "golden generation" and even then we barely managed in the championships, so why do the media here feel that we would do any better now?! Silly media. Now be quiet and talk about something else please

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2019
RE: European Championships - 11/17/2015 6:32:10 PM   
warspite1

Wembley should be a real 'Home from Home' for the French tonight. Let's hope the England fans do the French proud and sing the Marseillasise (spelling?) with relish.

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/17/2015 7:32:29 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2020
RE: European Championships - 11/17/2015 8:45:11 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Ukraine - Slovenia
Sweden - Denmark
Bosnia - Ireland
Norway - Hungary

warspite1

Mmmm not ideal

Ukraine - Slovenia - don't really care, but probably Ukraine if I had to pick one
Sweden - Denmark - Sweden
Bosnia - Ireland - Have to go for Ireland considering Mrs W's heritage
Norway - Hungary - sorry terje but have to go for Hungary for sentimental reasons and their great kit!

warspite1

I wish had put money on that

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2021
RE: European Championships - 11/17/2015 10:56:20 PM   
Hertston

quote:

Let's hope the England fans do the French proud and sing the Marseillasise (spelling?) with relish.

La Marseillaise. Considering I doubt one in fifty actually knows the words (which I assume were in the programmes and on the screens) they did a pretty good job. It probably helps coming after the godawful dirge that is God Save the Queen; any attempt at the Marseillaise would sound good after that. Definitely my top choice of inspiring National Anthems; with the Russian one a not-so-close second.

Talking of which, in wildly off topic fashion, and no doubt at the risk of upsetting somebody;

Why is the American anthem, which is fine musically, always completely ballsed up by getting someone to solo it? No matter who it is they always seem to throw away any semblance of musical technique or style and bawl it out hopelessly out of tune, with grossly excessive ornamentation for what is and should be a simple melody, and in a general all-round hammy fashion. I'm always surprised all those attending sports events and such don't have their fingers stuck in their ears for the duration. Hint - get everyone to sing it. If it works for God save the Queen it will work for anything.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 11/17/2015 11:58:52 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2022
RE: European Championships - 11/18/2015 5:25:53 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

Let's hope the England fans do the French proud and sing the Marseillasise (spelling?) with relish.

La Marseillaise. Considering I doubt one in fifty actually knows the words (which I assume were in the programmes and on the screens) they did a pretty good job. It probably helps coming after the godawful dirge that is God Save the Queen; any attempt at the Marseillaise would sound good after that. Definitely my top choice of inspiring National Anthems; with the Russian one a not-so-close second.

Talking of which, in wildly off topic fashion, and no doubt at the risk of upsetting somebody;

Why is the American anthem, which is fine musically, always completely ballsed up by getting someone to solo it? No matter who it is they always seem to throw away any semblance of musical technique or style and bawl it out hopelessly out of tune, with grossly excessive ornamentation for what is and should be a simple melody, and in a general all-round hammy fashion. I'm always surprised all those attending sports events and such don't have their fingers stuck in their ears for the duration. Hint - get everyone to sing it. If it works for God save the Queen it will work for anything.
warspite1

1 in 50? That may be right for God Save The Queen - but even then still way too high (apart from perhaps the first verse) imo - but for the French Anthem? Why would your average Briton (with our love of languages ) know any of the words? I would say 1 in 500,000. And yes, the words were printed on screen and, I believe, in the program.

Each to their own, but there is nothing wrong with God Save The Queen. It may not be as stirring as some, but it does what it says and gets the job done

As for other anthems - yes the Russian anthem is excellent, but so too is the Dutch anthem .

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 2023
RE: European Championships - 11/18/2015 1:32:59 PM   
terje439

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ukraine - Slovenia
Sweden - Denmark
Bosnia - Ireland
Norway - Hungary

warspite1

Mmmm not ideal

Ukraine - Slovenia - don't really care, but probably Ukraine if I had to pick one
Norway - Hungary - sorry terje but have to go for Hungary for sentimental reasons and their great kit!

warspite1

Was the odds that good? Ireland is the only "surprise" in my book.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2024
RE: European Championships - 11/18/2015 1:36:34 PM   
terje439

quote:

As for other anthems - yes the Russian anthem is excellent, but so too is the Dutch anthem .

I feel the Swedes should make the Ultima Thule version their official version! youtube clicky

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2025
RE: European Championships - 11/18/2015 5:00:13 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ukraine - Slovenia
Sweden - Denmark
Bosnia - Ireland
Norway - Hungary

warspite1

Mmmm not ideal

warspite1

Was the odds that good? Ireland is the only "surprise" in my book.
warspite1

Individual odds? No idea - what I was referring to was getting all four correct.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 2026
RE: European Championships - 11/18/2015 7:09:49 PM   
STEF78

Wembley....

Thanks to England![

It was really a great, wonderful, fabulous moment during the anthem!

Crécy, Azincourt, Trafalgar and Waterloo are forgiven

I will wait for Mers El Kebir (my grand father was there) and Jeanne d'Arc. But today, I love England

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2027
RE: European Championships - 12/6/2015 4:01:23 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus (the 13 september)

Oh Oh, I missed many lulz while I was in the drydock ie hospital! Chelsea in 17th position!

So the wheels are coming off the bus??

12 december and Chelsea still near the relegation zone (14th position) Let's hope the Russian Oligarch will not be sending his assassins to terminate the "best manager in the world" LOL Not being sarcastic but dead serious. The entertainment must last longer. All hail Eva and her curse!

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 2028
RE: European Championships - 12/13/2015 8:09:13 AM   
Orm

Should be easy sailing for England. And it will be fun to watch them against Wales.

England
Wales
Slovakia
Russia

Post #: 2029
RE: European Championships - 12/17/2015 4:42:04 PM   
TulliusDetritus

It's official. The Russian Oligarch has terminated "The [now] Sacked One"

It's somewhere on this thread, written one or two years ago or so. My Nostradamusesque Prophecy... The end of Mourinho that is. No TOP team with a minimum of self-respect, with a reputation to uphold will ever hire this sociopathic clown. I stick to this so-called "prophecy". Amen

It's going to be either a national team or retreat as a pundit on TV. Because make no mistake: Mourinho only trains top teams as he is the self-appointed "best manager in the world".

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2030
RE: European Championships - 12/17/2015 6:39:11 PM   
british exil

Tullius, his team let him down. They did not appreciate all the planing and hard work he put in, to make the team succesful.

Because the team was not suppporting him, he was condemed to lose, even being best manager in the world.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

Post #: 2031
RE: European Championships - 12/20/2015 8:27:59 AM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

It's official. The Russian Oligarch has terminated "The [now] Sacked One"

It's somewhere on this thread, written one or two years ago or so. My Nostradamusesque Prophecy... The end of Mourinho that is. No TOP team with a minimum of self-respect, with a reputation to uphold will ever hire this sociopathic clown. I stick to this so-called "prophecy". Amen

It's going to be either a national team or retreat as a pundit on TV. Because make no mistake: Mourinho only trains top teams as he is the self-appointed "best manager in the world".

I was thinking about you once I heard about it.

Mourinho has been clubbed down but are you sure that he will not pop up somewhere else?

Post #: 2032
RE: European Championships - 12/20/2015 12:38:21 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

I was thinking about you once I heard about it.

Mourinho has been clubbed down but are you sure that he will not pop up somewhere else?

Note that I'm saying / mentioning Nostradamus. I don't know if you read his prophecies (I did), well, they are basically a crock of sh*t Utterly cryptic, obscure.

Said this, there is some reasoning after all (which does not mean I'm right eh ). When I say top teams, I am thinking about the four glamourous leagues in the world: Italy, Spain, England and Germany (current world champions, a football superpower). That's where a "top manager" must swim. Well, first problem Mr Mourinho has to face: in the three first leagues he burnt all the bridges behind him

Germany then: by now it is 100% clear that Mourinho will bring a very toxic atmosphere, a siege mentality that sooner or later wears out his players. Last but not least, it should also be 100% clear that he is a one trick pony. Yes he's won many titles, with very expensive squads (Oporto is the exception) so big deal I say. So far he's proven that he can more or less deliver two years. Third year, out IMO this conclusively proves that he is NOT the best manager in the world, not even close. Think about Alex Ferguson (another bully by the way ) He spent almost 3 decades at Old Trafford. Not only did he win titles, he proved that he could build the team over and over again when old players left (football cycles that is). Mourinho is simply incapable of rebuilding teams

I mentioned self-respect and reputation (of top teams). Well, it is also clear that for example Chelsea was possibly the most hated team in England. Same thing with Real Madrid in Spain. The culprit? Only one: Mourinho...

So really, do PSG or Bayern want all of this?

Time will tell I see many stormy clouds in the horizon. Karma I say. I feel no sympathy for sociopaths.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2033
RE: European Championships - 12/20/2015 1:16:38 PM   
british exil

I don't think Bayern would want such a manager or as they refer to them here in Germany the coach.
They do want the best and are willing to pay for it, but they also let their employees know who the bosses are.
The manager is just the person who trains the team, plans for the matches, thus the title they are given. But Hoeneß, Rummenigge and a few others dictate the rules, they also let the rules be known.

If the players are unhappy with their manager, and this has happened quite often, they show it. Playing badly, bad results etc. Bayern will terminate the managers contract and send the manager to place wherever managers are sent to.

It has happened before and definitely would happen again if the "best manager in the world" would come to Bayern.

Louis van Gaal, fired.
Jürgen Klinsmann, fired.
Otto Rehhagel, fired.
Erich Ribbeck, fired.
Jupp Heynckes, fired. After winning titles 2 seasons in a row.
Felix Magath, fired.

No I don't think Mr M. will be coming to Germany.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

Post #: 2034
RE: European Championships - 12/20/2015 2:09:14 PM   
warspite1

I do not understand this at all.

quote:

It's somewhere on this thread, written one or two years ago or so. My Nostradamusesque Prophecy

What so you predicted a football manager would get the sack? Not sure why that makes you Nostradamus?

quote:

No TOP team with a minimum of self-respect, with a reputation to uphold will ever hire this sociopathic clown.

Okay – let’s keep a check on this.

quote:

Well, first problem Mr Mourinho has to face: in the three first leagues he burnt all the bridges behind him

Why? He supposedly ‘burnt his bridges’ when he left Chelsea the first time – what happened then?

quote:

Last but not least, it should also be 100% clear that he is a one trick pony.

How many football fans would love a ‘one trick pony’ to manage their team and win them some silverware?
quote:

Yes he's won many titles, with very expensive squads (Oporto is the exception)

Yep – sounds right. Manager wins silverware and gets the right to then manage top clubs – you know, clubs with money. What did Guardiola, Ancellotti, Ferguson et al win titles on a shoestring with er AC Milan, Barcelona, Real Madrid etc etc?

quote:

So far he's proven that he can more or less deliver two years.

There are always exceptions; Ferguson being the most extreme, but have a look at the managers of Real Madrid, Barcelona, AC Milan, Juventus, Inter, Bayern Munich and tell me how many last much longer than 3 years? More or less two years? – somewhat disingenuous given he won 3 Serie A titles in a row and the Champions League in the 3rd year.

quote:

Mourinho is simply incapable of rebuilding teams

So he never had to build teams capable of winning the Champions League or League Championship? Er have a look at the Chelsea he inherited or the Porto or Inter he inherited….

quote:

Well, it is also clear that for example Chelsea was possibly the most hated team in England.

It was clear he was possibly maybe could have been?? Chelsea is in no way the most hated team in England. English football is too tribal for that. Chelsea does not come close to being the most hated if you are a Manc, a Scouse, a North Londoner, a Brummie, a Geordie or a Mackam. Not even close.

So Mourinho didn’t last long at Chelsea second time around. Yeah must be a nightmare for the club – just another couple of trophies including yet another League Championship.

Okay - you hate the guy, you think he's a sociopath and you don't like his style of football - all fair enough. But to try and rubbish his monumental achievements? Sorry that makes no sense at all.

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 2035
RE: European Championships - 12/20/2015 4:18:31 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

What so you predicted a football manager would get the sack? Not sure why that makes you Nostradamus?

Okay - you hate the guy, you think he's a sociopath and you don't like his style of football - all fair enough. But to try and rubbish his monumental achievements? Sorry that makes no sense at all.

The Nostradamus thing was about the scenario explained just above. This is what my comment is all about. About Mourinho running out of Top Teams in top leagues So you think he will be coaching such a top team in Italy, Spain and England pretty soon? If I were you I would not hold my breath... But do as you wish...

I don't think he's a sociopath. I affirm it

As for the rest, his achievements, football style, manners and antics, I aleady said what I had to say many times. And I am dead right about it

Don't worry, I will do some digging in due time and find for you my Nostradamusesque prophecy

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 12/20/2015 5:19:16 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2036
RE: European Championships - 12/20/2015 4:25:17 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

The Nostradamus thing was about the scenario explained just above. This is what my comment is all about. About Mourinho running out of Top Teams in top leagues So you think he will be coaching such a top team in Italy, Spain and England pretty soon? If I were you I would not hold my breath... But do as you wish...

I don't think he's a sociopath. I affirm it

As for the rest, his achievements, football style, manners and antics, I aleady said what I had to say many times. And I am dead right about it

Don't worry, I will do some digging in due time and find for you my Nostradamusesque prophecy
warspite1

Well as I said earlier, we can keep a check on what happens next. Some smart money says he will be managing Manchester United in the not too distant future......

Post #: 2037
RE: European Championships - 12/20/2015 4:47:52 PM   
TulliusDetritus

ManU? Are you sure the image of the club would improve if one of the biggest (if not the biggest) trolls in football history is appointed?

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 12/20/2015 5:48:38 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2038
RE: European Championships - 12/20/2015 4:56:39 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ManU? Are you sure the image of the club would improve if one of the biggest (if not the biggest) trolls in football history is appointed?

warspite1

Troll? Well that is not a comment one would expect in a football conversation, but then again your dislike for Jose Mourinho makes clear you are incapable of having a reasoned conversation about his ability and his track record.

You mention image and then refer to a stock market screen??

As for image - no idea what you are talking about. The image of Porto, Inter, Real and Chelsea have all survived Mr Mourinho - and all four clubs have won trophies under his management. This man has an excellent Champions League record and yet is widely acknowledged to have been incredibly unlucky in the Champions League (the goal that never was vs Liverpool, the bizarre game vs Barcelona). Imagine his record if luck had been on his side.... He took Porto to heights they had no right to scale, he has provided Chelsea with trophies they never expected to win and picked Inter Milan up and put them back where they should be. Only at Real was his success only okay.

As for stock market value - well I guess that is why knowledgeable football people are considering hiring the man. The season is far from over of course but, having spent £250m*, the dire way Manchester United are playing - and the poor results being delivered (losing to Middlesbrough in the League Cup, exiting an easy Champions League group and falling outside the top 4 places in the league) is clearly of concern to the money men. A second season outside of the Champions League in 3 seasons? Mmmmm.....

* I know you seem to think Mourinho has only succeeded because he has had tons of money to spend - but as Van Gaal is finding, football isn't always that simple is it?

I just don't understand why personal dislike of someone means you cannot appreciate their talents. I could not stand that obnoxious bully Ferguson, I have little to no time for that argumentative weasel Wenger - but you know what? They have both been great football managers. Like much in life, football is a results business and guess what? They get the job done..... much like a certain Portuguese fellow in fact.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 12/21/2015 7:03:10 AM >

Post #: 2039
RE: European Championships - 12/21/2015 6:16:00 AM   
warspite1

Reports are that van Gaal will be gone if Man Utd lose to Stoke on Boxing Day

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2040
Page:   <<   < prev  66 67 [68] 69 70   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: European Championships Page: <<   < prev  66 67 [68] 69 70   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI