Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/7/2015 6:34:49 PM   
aaatoysandmore

If there ever is one.

1. Have the ships window "stay" at the last ship looked at instead of always going back to the top of the list and having to scroll back down to it.

2. Put in player input feature instead of having to click the numbers up and down when designing a ship. I don't even do Large star port upgrades because I ain't clicking 90 times down and then 90 times back up just to replace armor. This is one of the worst features of the game having to click to change something. Just give us a blank box to fill in like you do in the "policy" screen.

3. Same as above only in the diplomacy screen when trading techs. Just let me put in a number don't make me click a million times getting there.

4. Make a hot button fleet or ship button on the main screen to get back to a ship we are doing something with and don't want to have to go click on ships icon and then scroll the dam page till we find it every dam time. Streamline the dam game why don't you?

5. Military Strength is a deceiving number on screen. You need to also add at least the defensive effects into it as well. A 1000pt firepower ship is no match for a 500pt ship with twice the defense or more. Add in things like armor and shields when calculating Military Strength. I don't know how many times I creamed an empire with twice the Military Strength than I have. It has lots of firepower but no defense. It's just a raw power number not taking into consideration other things that make up Military Strength.

6. a ship search feature on the ship in game itself. In other words I click on a ship and to see it's build design or upgrade it a button is right there in that little box to go ahead and upgrade it even a retrofit button there as well. mini buttons.

7. And for the love of god a financial readout like Sid Meier's Railroad tycoon. I want to know how the economy works. I'm totally blind in this game. So a ship carries 10 tons of whatchamacallit. I want to know how much its getting for it. What happens if I put a "commerce" feature on it? How does income work? What and how is making me my income the most? Do I get reimbursed for the purchase of a mineral mine or gas mine? Does the private sector buy a completely new ship every time it retrofits or just the components in the old ship? If so there should be upgrades to the ship itself to get them to buy whole new ships. I could go on forever about this economy in this game and what it needs.

Also, let me get this straight. If I place a gas mine and pay for it I still have to pay a dam fee to get fuel from it? No oil barron in this world pays for his gas at the gas pump he owns.

These are just a "few" of the things I'd like to see changed. If I really took my time I could think of a lot more that could really streamline this game.

8. Oh I thought of one. Either take it out of the game as it's really just silly as it is or redesign it. Giving gifts of money is just silly ridiculous both in the AI giving me money and me give it back to them. It's just redundant bull crap. I make so much money from the AI giving me gifts I don't really need an economy well that's exaggerating but I think you know what I mean. I get 20,000 credit gifts all the time.

Also, if you're going to leave it in then at least make it auto collect. Who in their right mind wouldn't accept free money? Even at war I would take my enemies gold.
Post #: 1
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/7/2015 7:07:49 PM   
Bingeling

4: You have 10 shortcuts to anything on the number buttons. Select something, press ctrl-1. And it will get selected when you press 1. I use them for my main fleets, you can use one or more of them for whatever you need to get back to.

8: The money collects just fine, you don't have to click on the messages. I am sure you won't hurt their feelings if you ignore them and just take the money.

And yes, there are lots of nice feature that could be added to the game. But it is still a very nice game :)

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 2
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/7/2015 7:40:12 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

4: You have 10 shortcuts to anything on the number buttons. Select something, press ctrl-1. And it will get selected when you press 1. I use them for my main fleets, you can use one or more of them for whatever you need to get back to.

8: The money collects just fine, you don't have to click on the messages. I am sure you won't hurt their feelings if you ignore them and just take the money.

And yes, there are lots of nice feature that could be added to the game. But it is still a very nice game :)

I don't want to have to press TWO buttons. I only want one on the featured items screen. That's the whole point of streamlining is to make it a lot faster to get somewhere. One click maybe two at the most and that is it. No extra button like CTRL remember One ring that binds them all.

Good to know about the money thing I wasn't sure if it collected automatically or not if I didn't press the boxes that scroll on the side of the screen. Now, I'll just ignore them. Free money Yay just what I want in a game. Not!

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 3
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/20/2015 7:27:51 PM   
Noble713

Linux compatibility please. I no longer run Windows but still love 4X games. For now I'm stuck playing FreeOrion. I'd pre-order/Early Access DW2 on Steam if Linux is supported.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 4
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/20/2015 8:42:06 PM   
Retreat1970

Multiplayer

/endthread

(in reply to Noble713)
Post #: 5
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/21/2015 2:17:37 AM   
Guardian54

Also important is to have Resupply ships able to be AGGRESSIVE like regular ships!

Otherwise we can't cheese the 3x ship size non-planetary base ability to use them for dreadnoughts anymore.

Because I swear if I don't have an equalizer against harder AI settings I simply won't buy DW 2 if it comes out

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 6
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/21/2015 2:06:47 PM   
Ranbir

I think multiplayer would ruin the simulation aspect. Paradox made their games a lot more gamey for a competitive multiplayer possibility.

"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz

(in reply to Guardian54)
Post #: 7
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/21/2015 10:22:42 PM   
Blabsawaw22

You're out of you mind if anybody thinks Multiplayer wouldn't bring oooodles of fun and a much more broad spectrum of gamers to this game..

hands down multiplayer will make this game rise on the charts..

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 12/21/2015 11:23:18 PM >

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 8
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/22/2015 6:28:30 AM   
Bingeling

It should probably help me lose interest in the game, though.

(in reply to Blabsawaw22)
Post #: 9
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/22/2015 7:10:22 AM   
Ralzakark

Same here. I have little time to play and when I do it isn't in any regular pattern, so a long multi-player game isn't for me. I micro-manage a lot in DW so am endlessly pausing the game to see what is going on in remote corners of my empire, which is ok for me but would drive an opponent to distraction (and me when they did it).

Multiplayer is great fun, but not for me with DW.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 10
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/22/2015 7:48:33 AM   
Blabsawaw22

well then they need to look into how to allow players to play on same team then and also have jump in and jump out multiplayer..

it's very possible.. it would solve both of the problems you mentioned..

Ofcourse DW2 won't take this on but it would be amazing..

A good example would be the late Beyond Sol game - that allows multiplayer to join and quit as they feel.. whenever.. It somehow saves so if you come back and join a multiplayer game it throws you back into wherever the city was left off and whatever the AI did.. it works amazingly..

and then the other aspect is playing on the same team - I think it's from older Command and Conquer games or any of those games that allowed 2 team members to control same units (starcraft maybe or Tzar or I can't remember darnit..) etc.. (can't remember the specific games right now but they are out there..)

Edit**

Oh I think I remembered one, Total Annihilation or Dawn of war maybe.. I know Savage does, it allows a human to control the resources and command of things while other players are the units themselves and the human commander can give orders and perks and gold to the other human players if they actually follow orders given..

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 12/22/2015 9:04:01 AM >

(in reply to Ralzakark)
Post #: 11
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/22/2015 11:38:12 AM   
Ranbir

Most things casualised rise up, yeah. But a lot of depth will be lost if it has to be balanced for multiplayer, a lot of the little parts that form a greater sum. I like that this is more of a galactic simulator and not a galactic strategy game. I'm sure Stellaris will fix that mp itch, but I really want DW to stay as the king of deep living galaxy simu-feels.

"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz

Post #: 12
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/22/2015 4:11:42 PM   
Retreat1970

It needs the option for multiplayer. If you don't want to play multiplayer then don't, but don't deny it from others just because you don't like it.

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 13
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/22/2015 6:38:07 PM   
Bingeling

The game that I want won't work in multiplayer apart from some really special cases of players. And really special cases of players is not a huge audience for a game. Distant worlds is real time with flexible speed and lots of menu clicking if you do the slow and steady pace. That won't work with multiplayer. Sure, you can make it work by not pausing on menus, or limiting pauses, but then it is an entirely different game.

I lack the imagination to see how multiplayer could work in this game as it is now. Of course they could make it. They could possibly also draw players due to the multiplayer tag. But this forum and that on steam won't be prettier places if they release a mulitplayer that don't work well at all.

Post #: 14
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/22/2015 7:40:39 PM   
Retreat1970

DW2 better not be DWU with a big patch. That would be upsetting. Regardless I'm not going to argue about multiplayer. The point is moot since I have no say anyways. I would love to pit myself against another human mind. That would be a challenge. Right now DWU is no challenge. Unless I'm extremely handicapped, which is no fun.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 15
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/22/2015 7:53:27 PM   
Guardian54

Problem with MP: You need to have preset design palettes since designing takes a LOT of time in DW, and the AI designs are HORRID. Also tech tree research setups before everyone has to un-pause the game.
You even need race-specific palettes for many races e.g. Quameno with their massive homeworld starport lab count and insanely OP Mk 1 NovaCore Reactor.

You also NEED mobile starbases to be aggressive, or dreadnought warfare will be micro hell (as it is now).

Post #: 16
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/22/2015 8:57:03 PM   
btd64

DW2 as mentioned is a pausible game. If it was a igougo it would work. But it's not....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Guardian54)
Post #: 17
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/22/2015 8:57:13 PM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970

DW2 better not be DWU with a big patch. That would be upsetting. Regardless I'm not going to argue about multiplayer. The point is moot since I have no say anyways. I would love to pit myself against another human mind. That would be a challenge. Right now DWU is no challenge. Unless I'm extremely handicapped, which is no fun.

If DW2 is built on a modern engine with overall improvements to DWU, I will be more than happy. An engine that runs out of the box and looks somewhat modern, one that does need windows media player or other oddities.

Add search options for the galaxy. Easy to access information of the state of resources in the empire, for instance the caslon situation at colonies. Which have enough, which are short?

Improved diplomacy with more meaningful alliances. Improved AI in many ways, including fleet management.

Keep the galaxy simulation aspect, keep and maybe improve the civilian sector that helps keep the galaxy alive. And maybe make at a 2d map in a 3d engine, that allows to pan an zoom a bit to watch the battles as they unfold. If DWU has been a decent economic hit, hiring some 3d graphics people to make it a bit nice and shiny should be an easy thing to do.

There are lots of things that can be done within modest distances of the current product that would modernize and improve the game quite a lot.

Post #: 18
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/22/2015 9:01:33 PM   
Blabsawaw22

Distant Worlds would rock Multiplayer.. don't deny it. ha.

Retreat1970 is absolutely correct, They already made DW1 such an in-depth game..so DW2 can only bring new to the plate (while ofcourse hopefully staying true to what the Original game idea was- a real-living space simulation where the private sector / background npc's work to make like a real world universe..

I guess if you just pause and everybody paused in multiplayer oh well, you could enforce time-limit pauses like 2 minutes or etc.. or just don't pause and you have to choose your research in realtime..

in anycase, yes it's not under any of our control but it's fun to speculate..

and there are games that do this concept very well.. like I was saying, Beyond Sol is one of them.. Imagine when X-Rebirth will come out having Multiplayer.. actually they kinda have it I guess now that I think about it, -Eve Online and Star Citizen etc.. of course imagine those in 2d world.. ha.

(in reply to Guardian54)
Post #: 19
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/22/2015 9:52:06 PM   
Retreat1970

quote:

There are lots of things that can be done within modest distances of the current product that would modernize and improve the game quite a lot.

That's what patches are for. I don't want to pay 50 bucks for a big patch disguised as DW2. Dw2 has to be more than tweaks and AI improvement. They can do that now.

As far as multiplayer goes, you're all just scared to play me lol. Actually I'd be scared to play you too lol. Games would be intense. You have to admit that.

Post #: 20
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/22/2015 10:12:49 PM   
Bingeling

As far as I have experienced Eve (which is not at a very deep level), you control a single entity that may operate alone or alongside others. Others may decide to mess with you as you fool around alone, though. That is, the world moves forward and stuff happens that you are not directly involved in, but you control your ship alone, although you can coordinate it with friends and have multiplayer fun in lots of ways (including political). If you sit around and queue your training or whatever they called it, you may get shot down by npcs or other players, but you are still your own entity in a large galaxy. Just like in any other traditional real-time mmo.

I fail to see the comparable to a complex strategy game that require overview of many things at once. I do not control one ship, I control many fleets at once, while keeping an eye out for pirates popping into view, and sending the intelligence agent out on his next mission. All the while pondering whether I should build another fleet, and organize the 10 newly built ships into the fleets that needed reinforcements.

Star citizen will be a very straight forward multiplayer game when it comes to what kind of multiplayer it is, apart from being heavily instanced in a clever way and having skill based controls. I will play my guy walking around, getting into my ship, controlling the ship. Parking next to an asteroid and getting out for some eva fun to find the hidden whatever. I control myself, the ship is waiting for me (hopefully), and the world is moving along whatever I do. I go afk for 5 minutes, and it hurts noone but myself and possibly any player that I cooperate tightly with at the time. Because I will be a tiny entity in a large galaxy.

What should happen in a DW multiplayer while I afk 5 minutes? Should the game be dumbed down to make it controllable without pause? Would a 2 player multiplayer really be fun? How to scale the time spent waiting if there are 5 guys needing their small breaks? In DW you are not a ship captain that cruise around and sometimes hang around in a bar. You run one of a handful of empires that dominate the galaxy. If it is not to be a "who can click the fastest" game, how do you keep the game moving forward when there are multiple players, 3 front wars, war declarations, peace offers...?

As said above, I lack the imagination to see a way that the game could have a good multiplayer mode that does not require the game to change in ways that would make it less enjoyable or me.

Let the mmos be mmos, let star craft be multiplayer, and let distant worlds be a deep, single player galaxy simulation.

Post #: 21
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/22/2015 10:20:52 PM   
Bingeling

quote:

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970

quote:

That's what patches are for. I don't want to pay 50 bucks for a big patch disguised as DW2. Dw2 has to be more than tweaks and AI improvement. They can do that now.

As far as multiplayer goes, you're all just scared to play me lol. Actually I'd be scared to play you too lol. Games would be intense. You have to admit that.

You don't release patches that reimplement the game from scratch on a new engine. I do not know what DW2 will be, but if it at first glance looks like a slightly patched up version of DWU I will be very disappointed. But I will hopefully recognize a lot of the game content and ideas behind.

As for intense multiplayer, I dislike intense games. That is why I enjoy a nice, slow single player game like distant worlds. Drag the speed down with expensive research and avoid the too easy options, and have a long, slow game.

Do not for a moment believe that all here play the game the same way. I have played the game since vanilla, loved it since Return Of The Shakturi. And I have never, ever, fought the Shakturi.

Post #: 22
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/22/2015 10:55:25 PM   
Retreat1970

As I said before the point is moot anyways. This is all pure speculation. I enjoy the game as is. If it never changes I will be ok with that.

quote:

As for intense multiplayer, I dislike intense games. That is why I enjoy a nice, slow single player game like distant worlds.

No one is trying to take your game away. Just trying to add another way to play that's all.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 23
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/22/2015 11:24:32 PM   
Raap

The problem with multiplayer, for those of us who don't want/need it, is the spreading of development focus. Implementing multiplayer properly takes a lot of effort, effort that could otherwise be spent on improving other parts of the game. There's also the danger of neglecting to improve the AI challenge because of the "you can just play humans if you find it too easy" argument.

For me, the ideal and realistic sequel would just be the same essential game we have now, with slight improvements here and there, but built on top of a new future-safe game engine that runs better. I'd add more to the list, but in my experience sequels made on new engines rarely manage to add back all the features of the previous games, let alone add lots of new stuff.

Post #: 24
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/22/2015 11:35:02 PM   
Retreat1970

quote:

For me, the ideal and realistic sequel would just be the same essential game we have now, with slight improvements here and there, but built on top of a new future-safe game engine that runs better.

You don't ask for much, do you?

Again, I love the single player game. Wouldn't it be great, though, to play co-op with a friend against the AI? That would be awesome.

(in reply to Raap)
Post #: 25
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/22/2015 11:51:57 PM   
Blabsawaw22

Holy Moly.. why is everybody so scared that Multiplayer will somehow completely ruin this game!#??@

Looordy Lord people..

If you had played Beyond Sol, you can see Multiplayer can work very well with a space empire type of game. (granted Beyond Sol is nowhere near the scope of Distant Worlds, but you can see how multiplayer can be incorporated..)

Bingeling, great long description of games and the gameplay but one thing sticks out pretty big, - you seem to want to control everything manually and that's fine, but I thought one of the biggest things about Distant Worlds was it's "automation" and totally neglecting the fact that You simply can not watch over 10 fleets and Pirates and all the zillion things that happens in Distant Worlds.. The AI automation is a huge part of why this game is so great and that would be NO Different in Multiplayer setting.. the automation would be doing the same thing it does in a SinglePlayer game! no?

This next one is great,

quote:

those of us who don't want/need it, is the spreading of development focus. Implementing multiplayer properly takes a lot of effort, effort that could otherwise be spent on improving other parts of the game. There's also the danger of neglecting to improve the AI challenge because of the "you can just play humans if you find it too easy" argument.

hilarious man.. as if you've somehow forgot how right now Distant Worlds 1 doesn't have multiplayer and look at how much they still haven't improved the AI the way it should be (you can find posts here with very good explanations of how messed up the AI is now even latest patch.. and I'm playing now still experiencing major flaws..)

So in other words, that's on the programmers and yes of course it takes time and more effort, but it's certainly not the multiplayer Aspect right now causing distant worlds 1 to be flawed.. so... that's just on the developers saving money or just ... you call it..

Post #: 26
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/23/2015 12:40:59 AM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blabsawaw22

Holy Moly.. why is everybody so scared that Multiplayer will somehow completely ruin this game!#??@

Looordy Lord people..

If you had played Beyond Sol, you can see Multiplayer can work very well with a space empire type of game. (granted Beyond Sol is nowhere near the scope of Distant Worlds, but you can see how multiplayer can be incorporated..)

Bingeling, great long description of games and the gameplay but one thing sticks out pretty big, - you seem to want to control everything manually and that's fine, but I thought one of the biggest things about Distant Worlds was it's "automation" and totally neglecting the fact that You simply can not watch over 10 fleets and Pirates and all the zillion things that happens in Distant Worlds.. The AI automation is a huge part of why this game is so great and that would be NO Different in Multiplayer setting.. the automation would be doing the same thing it does in a SinglePlayer game! no?

This next one is great,

quote:

those of us who don't want/need it, is the spreading of development focus. Implementing multiplayer properly takes a lot of effort, effort that could otherwise be spent on improving other parts of the game. There's also the danger of neglecting to improve the AI challenge because of the "you can just play humans if you find it too easy" argument.

hilarious man.. as if you've somehow forgot how right now Distant Worlds 1 doesn't have multiplayer and look at how much they still haven't improved the AI the way it should be (you can find posts here with very good explanations of how messed up the AI is now even latest patch.. and I'm playing now still experiencing major flaws..)

So in other words, that's on the programmers and yes of course it takes time and more effort, but it's certainly not the multiplayer Aspect right now causing distant worlds 1 to be flawed.. so... that's just on the developers saving money or just ... you call it..

I doubt whether any of us is scared of multiplayer, in itself. What we fear is that the effort required to implement multiplayer would mean there are fewer resources devoted to the single player game (which for many of us, including me, is our primary interest in DW2). If it's really the case that MP can be implemented with little or no effect on SP (because Matrix have adequate resources to devote to each), then that's absolutely fine with me.

But if there's a choice, if they have to say do we devote these resources to improving SP, or instead do we devote them to MP, then, in my opinion, the choice is clear: single player all the way.

Osito

< Message edited by Osito -- 12/23/2015 1:44:16 AM >

Post #: 27
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/23/2015 2:23:33 AM   
Blabsawaw22

Ok well Look, I want the SinglePlayer game to be good too remember! I'm playing it now!

I'm pretty sure Matrix will do whatever it takes for them to be profitable..(as does any company) and to be honest, adding a multiplayer aspect to this game will bring in a few more players and "cashflow" unless however it costs Matrix double to provide this "effort to implement" Multiplayer haha.

But whatever DW2 is I'm gonna play it.. whether singleplayer or Multiplayer..

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 12/23/2015 3:24:49 AM >

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 28
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/23/2015 6:25:21 AM   
Chris21wen

More race specific technology.   The empire policy screen for each race list preferred research and design that the AI uses.  I know some think AI design ships are rubbish but using the list in you own designs leads to a much more interesting game.  Hiding research and/or making it harder to research stuff that isn't on the list would stop the 'one suits all design' that currently exists.   This should not stop getting the tech through spying, nor acquiring it from space debris.

Post #: 29
RE: Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... - 12/23/2015 8:54:48 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranbir

Most things casualised rise up, yeah. But a lot of depth will be lost if it has to be balanced for multiplayer, a lot of the little parts that form a greater sum. I like that this is more of a galactic simulator and not a galactic strategy game. I'm sure Stellaris will fix that mp itch, but I really want DW to stay as the king of deep living galaxy simu-feels.

Sorry, but, Galactive Civilization II takes that honor. DW is a cute little 4x but it's hardly King material with all it's flaws.

(in reply to Ranbir)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Suggestions for Distant Worlds 2... Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI