Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Star Wars

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Star Wars Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Wars - 12/22/2015 9:19:44 PM   
waltero

It was an exact duplicate of the original. Build something big and destroy it...droid knowing where the Jedi is located...find the droid!

Mullennium falcon was known by nobody in the original movie. How was it known by the 20 year old girl in the latest film? Turns out the Millennium falcon was sitting in her back yard and she thought it junk.
It portrays the Jedi as Cowards...always in hiding (why).

The movie did not break all the box offce records because it was good. Hollywood has no creativity.

< Message edited by waltero -- 12/22/2015 10:21:00 PM >

(in reply to Challerain)
Post #: 31
RE: Star Wars - 12/22/2015 9:45:54 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Reb, Me too. It's like, I seen a bunch old friends again.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel Yell

Not perfect (what is?) but for a couple hours, this 53 year old was a kid again.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Rebel Yell)
Post #: 32
RE: Star Wars - 12/23/2015 12:22:31 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltero

It was an exact duplicate of the original. Build something big and destroy it...droid knowing where the Jedi is located...find the droid!

Mullennium falcon was known by nobody in the original movie. How was it known by the 20 year old girl in the latest film? Turns out the Millennium falcon was sitting in her back yard and she thought it junk.

The movie did not break all the box offce records because it was good. Hollywood has no creativity.

Hard to believe that a 30 year old spaceship wouldn't be obsolete, especially the computers.

I'm waiting for an internet mashup of the original Star Wars and the new one.

(in reply to waltero)
Post #: 33
RE: Star Wars - 12/23/2015 12:31:15 AM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

Hard to believe that a 30 year old spaceship wouldn't be obsolete, especially the computers.

Hey, wait a minute, in the first episodes they were working on the Millennium Falcon what's to say the ship has not been renovated several times since then! Hans Solo became rich after he helped save the universe. All that cash he surely updated it several times. Wheres your vision

< Message edited by Zap -- 12/23/2015 1:33:18 AM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 34
RE: Star Wars - 12/23/2015 5:16:49 AM   
Jagdtiger14

This movie has a long way to go compared to the original.

Force Awakens = $500M box office so far.
Star Wars (original movie) = $750M (1977 dollars = $3.5B 2015 dollars).

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 35
RE: Star Wars - 12/23/2015 12:51:15 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Have not watched it yet, so don't give away too much just let me known. Is as good as the critics say>

No. Not IMHO, anyway. In fact I'd suggest it is consistently over-rated. Film critics are usually pretty brutal, but the same mentality you see with reviews of some 'AAA' games seems to be in place here, people just seem afraid to criticize as nobody else is.

Not that Force Awakens isn't a lot of fun, it is. And it's certainly better than Phantom Menace was. My main gripe is the staggering lack of anything original or creative in it, everything seems copied from the original trilogy. Data hidden in droid wandering around desert planet, check. Droid found by soon-to-be Force adept, check. Darth Vader clone, check... starting movie looking for aforementioned data and droid, check. Emperor clone, check. Grand Moff Tarkin clone, check. Death Star clone, check. Convenient weakness in Death Star clone, check. And so on, and so on. Even the little that is new is hopelessly derivative. Spice up the 'emperor' clone? Throw in a bit of Lord of the Rings. Spice up the 'Empire' clone? Throw in a bit (or more than a bit; they'll be 'Seig Heil-ing next') of the Third Reich. It's a real shame Abrams didn't manage to both please the fans and produce something fresh and new, as he did with Star Trek. He might have brought back Khan, but it was a fresh take on the character and a new plot, not just ST2 regurgitated.

In brief, I'll no doubt watch Episodes VIII and IX, but I'm not hugely excited about them. Roll on Star Trek 3 and Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 36
RE: Star Wars - 12/23/2015 3:32:51 PM   
Skeleton

Spot on Herston, you nailed what I thought. I took my niece who was in full Darth Vadar apparel and couldn't bring myself to tell her what I thought. Not bad, but, certainly no where near the original trilogy in story or plot and not worth the lavish praise I had been reading.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 37
RE: Star Wars - 12/25/2015 11:55:00 PM   
CGGrognard

I think this is why Star Wars is considered fantasy and not science fiction.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting." - Sun Tzu

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 38
RE: Star Wars - 12/27/2015 6:42:13 PM   
radic202

Sorry to rain on some peeps parade! But I hated it!! I was totally bored, completely yawning almost from start to finish, absolutely no story besides the search for Luke, ton of plot holes (don't use the excuse it is part 1 or 7 of more to come to explain it), no character development whatsoever and tell me how a young lady and even Finn for that matter can use a Lightsaber and fight off a trained Dark Sith Knight/Lord. I could go on and on but rank this the worst of the lot in the Star Wars Canon for me. And I am or was a huge Star Wars Fan ever since I first saw it at the tender age of 13 way back when.

Sorry gang but what a huge frigging disappointment. Maybe it is one of those films I need to watch more than once to fully appreciate it but for now a 1 out of 10 and the 1 is basically for seeing Han Solo and Chewbacca and the Millennium Falcon again.

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

(in reply to CGGrognard)
Post #: 39
RE: Star Wars - 12/27/2015 7:32:15 PM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: radic202

Sorry to rain on some peeps parade! But I hated it!! I was totally bored, completely yawning almost from start to finish, absolutely no story besides the search for Luke, ton of plot holes (don't use the excuse it is part 1 or 7 of more to come to explain it), no character development whatsoever and tell me how a young lady and even Finn for that matter can use a Lightsaber and fight off a trained Dark Sith Knight/Lord. I could go on and on but rank this the worst of the lot in the Star Wars Canon for me. And I am or was a huge Star Wars Fan ever since I first saw it at the tender age of 13 way back when.

Sorry gang but what a huge frigging disappointment. Maybe it is one of those films I need to watch more than once to fully appreciate it but for now a 1 out of 10 and the 1 is basically for seeing Han Solo and Chewbacca and the Millennium Falcon again.

OMG. And I'm going to see it in the next few days and I don't want to use a critical eye!!!

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 40
RE: Star Wars - 12/27/2015 9:28:49 PM   
GaryChildress

There's another Star Wars out? I haven't even seen the last one yet.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 41
RE: Star Wars - 12/27/2015 11:53:28 PM   
rhondabrwn

They should have based it on the Timothy Zahn sequels.

I'm not impressed by what I've read about it... will watch on DVD... someday...

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 42
RE: Star Wars - 12/28/2015 7:09:40 AM   
Rising-Sun

Well just saw the reviews on MSN, that most Star Wars Fans are disappointed. They said something about it lasted for an hour and the ended was terrible. I am not much of Star Wars fan myself, to be honest, I think the new Star Trek with young kirk in it, they did a great job on it and the second one too.

Gotta say the new Mad Max Fury Roads was awesome, good action movie. And that new Terminator wasn't, just wasted twenty bucks on that Terminator. Friend of mine and I wanted to see the new Terminator and though it would be great and it wasn't and when we saw Mad Max, our jaws dropped to the floor lol. So if you haven't see Mad Max, go for it and you wont regret it.

Noticed that movie Star Wars: The Force Awakens, the theater quotes lasted for 2 hours and the tickets aren't cheap. In my area, cost 14.50 a adult. Was going to surprise my girlfriend going there, but she wont like it, cause it just wasting money.

< Message edited by RisingSun -- 12/28/2015 9:45:52 AM >

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 43
RE: Star Wars - 12/28/2015 7:59:00 AM   
bairdlander2

I liked that they used a lot of lines from the first films.

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 44
RE: Star Wars - 12/28/2015 12:39:04 PM   
radic202

quote:

quote:

OMG. And I'm going to see it in the next few days and I don't want to use a critical eye!!!

Zap:

I used the term "I" when describing my opinion: yours may be totally different and heck you may enjoy it! I just didn't! My daughters and their boyfriends loved it, so again this is my opinion and I can be very critical of films. I am more of a foreign film fanatic, whether that has anything to do with it, I don't know, just go sit back and see if you like it. If you want to see real good films go see The Revenant or Room, now those are something else!

< Message edited by radic202 -- 12/28/2015 1:40:23 PM >

It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 45
RE: Star Wars - 12/28/2015 4:51:02 PM   
Hertston

Art criticism always has to be taken with a pinch of salt, if only because everyone's criteria in deciding what makes a good film/painting/song etc is different, and personal. I'd just argue that, whatever it's good points, Force Awakens just has too much wrong with it that falls within just about everybody's criteria to justify the 90% plus ratings it has been getting. To be fair, at least it is moderately entertaining, which is more than can be said for another totally baffling critical smash, Creed. IMHO, of course. Expecting Stallone to get an Oscar nod here, as I honestly can't see any other reason for making the film.

Movie of the year for me was undoubtedly Mad Max: Fury Road. OK, the critics liked that as well, but I least I can see why. The best 'action' movie in years, that has terrific acting, plot and something to actually SAY as well. As with MM2, it will be a film that sticks with you years after you saw it. I just hope they don't bugger it up with another ill-judged case of sequel-itis like the appallingly bad MM3.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 12/28/2015 5:55:32 PM >

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 46
RE: Star Wars - 12/28/2015 5:05:21 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

Hey, wait a minute, in the first episodes they were working on the Millennium Falcon what's to say the ship has not been renovated several times since then! Hans Solo became rich after he helped save the universe. All that cash he surely updated it several times. Wheres your vision

It looked kind of dusty when Han and Chewy found it.

You still got 137 posts to go, Zap.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 47
RE: Star Wars - 12/28/2015 7:03:00 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

no character development whatsoever

Why not? Finn starts the film as a coward who wants to run away with tendency for PTSD on top of it. Towards end of it he is qualified badass at point of the lightsaber.

quote:

and tell me how a young lady and even Finn for that matter can use a Lightsaber and fight off a trained Dark Sith Knight/Lord.

Easy. One of the other stormtroopers took a melee weapon from his back and challenged Finn for a duel, remember? As a stormtrooper himself, Finn also had some training with melee weapons and close quarters combat. Ren (the young lady) carries stave with her all the time. What would she do with it? She whacked Finn with it when they met, remember? With a stave, she surprised and whacked stormtrooper who was trained for combat all of his life! So both of them have had training/experience. Just not with a lightsaber. But becouse lightsaber is a melee weapon as were those the two characters were already familiar with, it should not be too far fetched for them to get handle of a lightsaber as well. Heck, in the film Han shoots Chewbacca's bow for the first time, without previous training, and hits his intended targets. But I haven't seen anybody complain about that yet. What comes to the fight with that Sith guy, he was wounded. Go take shot to your ribs and see how well you fence right after that.

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 12/28/2015 8:05:20 PM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to radic202)
Post #: 48
RE: Star Wars - 12/28/2015 7:09:29 PM   
Jagdtiger14

Loved the Clone Wars cartoon series (2003 -?) on the Cartoon Network. They should do more of this rather than paying worthless "actors".

< Message edited by Jagdtiger14 -- 12/28/2015 8:10:18 PM >

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 49
RE: Star Wars - 12/28/2015 9:47:55 PM   
Zap

I'm going to see this movie in zombie mode with only 2 receiving channels open one for fun the other for action.

< Message edited by Zap -- 12/28/2015 10:48:15 PM >

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 50
RE: Star Wars - 12/29/2015 12:53:59 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

no character development whatsoever

Why not? Finn starts the film as a coward who wants to run away with tendency for PTSD on top of it. Towards end of it he is qualified badass at point of the lightsaber.

quote:

and tell me how a young lady and even Finn for that matter can use a Lightsaber and fight off a trained Dark Sith Knight/Lord.

Easy. One of the other stormtroopers took a melee weapon from his back and challenged Finn for a duel, remember? As a stormtrooper himself, Finn also had some training with melee weapons and close quarters combat. Ren (the young lady) carries stave with her all the time. What would she do with it? She whacked Finn with it when they met, remember? With a stave, she surprised and whacked stormtrooper who was trained for combat all of his life! So both of them have had training/experience. Just not with a lightsaber. But becouse lightsaber is a melee weapon as were those the two characters were already familiar with, it should not be too far fetched for them to get handle of a lightsaber as well. Heck, in the film Han shoots Chewbacca's bow for the first time, without previous training, and hits his intended targets. But I haven't seen anybody complain about that yet. What comes to the fight with that Sith guy, he was wounded. Go take shot to your ribs and see how well you fence right after that.

See? It's all so simple when somebody just takes the trouble to explain it all clearly. I have this warm fuzzy feeling now I know Force Awakens is a masterpiece after all.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 51
RE: Star Wars - 12/29/2015 1:11:31 AM   
ezzler

i did fall asleep for about 20 minutes. But I was very tired.
My son, who is 7, thought it was totally great.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 52
RE: Star Wars - 12/29/2015 5:56:00 AM   
rodney727

Timothy Zahn was the sole reason why there was episode I-III. Yet Disney said his novels are not part of they SW cannon anymore and thus never happened. Episode VII was a million times better than episode I.
quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

They should have based it on the Timothy Zahn sequels.

I'm not impressed by what I've read about it... will watch on DVD... someday...

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 53
RE: Star Wars - 12/29/2015 6:30:36 AM   
rhondabrwn

I never really had any problem with the prequels, I seem to be alone in that regard :)

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 54
RE: Star Wars - 12/29/2015 7:43:01 AM   
Jagdtiger14

quote:

The character Finn was one of the political points JJ Abrams was trying to make: Finn = Bowe Bergdahl. It mirrors him almost exactly. Bergdahl saw himself as some kind of badass as well.

As for the actor playing Finn: John Boyega...terrible actor...does not pull off the badass thing at all. Unfortunately this guy will be in the next two as well.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 55
RE: Star Wars - 12/29/2015 6:55:52 PM   
acctingman1969

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

As for the actor playing Finn: John Boyega...terrible actor...does not pull off the badass thing at all. Unfortunately this guy will be in the next two as well.

You could not be more wrong. But, it is your opinion

Post #: 56
RE: Star Wars - 12/29/2015 7:32:19 PM   
Hertston

Must say I agree with Jagdtiger 14, although in fairness to Boyega he wasn't given much to work with. The character just didn't make sense to me. The acting quality overall can be summed up in list of the top six performances;

1. Harrison Ford

2. Max von Sydow

3. The bloke in the Wookie suit

4. Mark Hamill's lengthy stare

5. Carrie Fisher's top lip/Botox combo (for effort).

6. Everybody and anything else.

(in reply to acctingman1969)
Post #: 57
RE: Star Wars - 12/29/2015 11:21:07 PM   
Jagdtiger14

And as I mentioned in a previous post...it may not be Boyega's fault. I agree with Hertston that he wasn't given much to work with since the writing in this movie was terrible. Both the character Finn as well as Boyega should not exist in this film...same for Ridley.

I agree with the 1-6 list!

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 58
RE: Star Wars - 12/29/2015 11:30:47 PM   
Challerain

I'm with Rhonda; just re-watched all the prequels and they really aren't that bad. I think Force Awakens was a better movie, but the prequels were more original.

Thought Finn was fine as well.

I enjoyed it but was hoping for more. But we'll see how it leads into the next two.

Post #: 59
RE: Star Wars - 12/29/2015 11:57:38 PM   
Canoerebel

You're not alone, Rhonda. Me and my boys (ages 18 and 21) like the prequels a lot. In fact, we think the third prequel is the best of the first six movies. We also liked VII - not a great movie but a good and entertaining movie.

(in reply to Challerain)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Star Wars Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI