Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races - 12/28/2015 8:47:57 PM   
Sargatanus

I'm trying to design a scenario in the game editor with a race that has access to every tech in the game, including the race-specific ones (I won't bore you with the reasons, let's just saw I'm experimenting with a concept).

I've got the modding guide, but it doesn't really seem to address this and I can't quite figure out the values I'm looking for in the research.txt file itself.

Anyone got some advice here?

Note: I found a workaround floating on Reddit, but it would effectively open up everything to everyone and that isn't exactly what I'm shooting for.
Post #: 1
RE: DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races - 12/28/2015 11:26:35 PM   
Retreat1970

If I understand you correctly... Start a game, pause, open editor, click edit empires, then edit your super race with all techs. You can select tech 7, or select techs individually (even race specific). Save game. Play.

(in reply to Sargatanus)
Post #: 2
RE: DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races - 12/29/2015 8:05:01 PM   
Sargatanus

No, that's not it at all. So there are some techs that can only be researched by certain races. I want a race that is able to research them all. In the research.txt there's supposedly a line for "allowed races", but I can't seem to locate the right line/variable.

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 3
RE: DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races - 12/29/2015 8:27:44 PM   
Retreat1970

Sorry for misunderstanding. It's in the race folder files, and it's called special component.

(in reply to Sargatanus)
Post #: 4
RE: DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races - 12/30/2015 9:41:04 PM   
Sargatanus

The workaround I saw was to simply set it to -1 for all races, but then that would just open up everything for everyone. Can I simply add all the values for each restricted tech there without crashing?

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 5
RE: DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races - 12/31/2015 2:35:31 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sargatanus

No, that's not it at all. So there are some techs that can only be researched by certain races. I want a race that is able to research them all. In the research.txt there's supposedly a line for "allowed races", but I can't seem to locate the right line/variable.

If I recall correctly this feature in the research.txt file was added after DW:U release and is not documented in the modding guide.

You need to add a line like this to the relevant research project:

ALLOWED RACES ;race 1, race 2, race 3
... etc.

So the total project might look something like this:

PROJECT ;34, Enhanced Torpedoes, 2, 20, 0, 25, 0, 0.0,
COMPONENT IMPROVEMENTS ;5, 2, 17, 460, 30, 72, 3, 2900, 0,
PARENTS ;33, N
ALLOWED RACES ;Ackdarian, Atuuk, Banoserit, Caleph, Dhayut, Enton

Note this line has the effect that only the 'allowed races' can research the tech. Not sure whether that's exactly what you wanted.

Osito

(in reply to Sargatanus)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> DW:U MODDING: Allowed Races Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI