Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/12/2016 6:40:28 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

It keeps asking me to upgrade and then when it tries to it says my display drivers are not compatible so sadly I have to stick in the past.....

I am so so sad.....

Roger

Have you turned on the auxiliary steam valve, those steam driven computers are a b***** to upgrade

(in reply to RogerJNeilson)
Post #: 31
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/12/2016 6:59:46 AM   
zakblood

for me from a pure gaming point of view, windows 10 on a semi modern hardware or new build for me is the best pure gaming setup i've owned, i loved Windows 98SE, was great for gaming, then came along windows XP, with all it's service packs, all which helped gaming imo, but while 7 and 8+ 8.1 were very good, so far windows 10 out shines the lot for ease of use and working with my library of games, from DOS to the latest, only a few niggles so far and all have been sorted.

i have some friends who are leaving the pc after many years of use and going onto Mac's, but for me the support for a pure gaming standpoint isn't there and won't be imo for many years, same as Linux / Android or even the steam boxes, so for me for war games or games in General, the best platform by far is windows based on a pc first, with windows 10 atm or if money is tight or hardware can't fully support it or speed wise windows 7 or 8.1, with i'm afraid windows XP being without updates and old friend that now has seen it's day, and needs putting to sleep like Vista

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 32
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/12/2016 5:43:16 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

for me from a pure gaming point of view, windows 10 on a semi modern hardware or new build for me is the best pure gaming setup i've owned, i loved Windows 98SE, was great for gaming, then came along windows XP, with all it's service packs, all which helped gaming imo, but while 7 and 8+ 8.1 were very good, so far windows 10 out shines the lot for ease of use and working with my library of games, from DOS to the latest, only a few niggles so far and all have been sorted.

i have some friends who are leaving the pc after many years of use and going onto Mac's, but for me the support for a pure gaming standpoint isn't there and won't be imo for many years, same as Linux / Android or even the steam boxes, so for me for war games or games in General, the best platform by far is windows based on a pc first, with windows 10 atm or if money is tight or hardware can't fully support it or speed wise windows 7 or 8.1, with i'm afraid windows XP being without updates and old friend that now has seen it's day, and needs putting to sleep like Vista

Good to see this.

My purpose with the OP was only as stated, status info for people, no desire to stir up the eternal debate!

It has become clear to me that the allegations of W10 spyware were vastly overblown and ignore what is done in other platforms and other applications. My own position is that I want no spyware at all, but I make various compromises out of practicality. I have turned off all those configuration options in W10. But I do use a Gmail account. I do not use an ad blocker (I can let an advertiser pay for the web sites I frequent or I can wind up paying cash if enough of us use ad blockers), an so on and so on. So I am no friend or fan of spyware, and I see nothing out of the ordinary for today's environment with W10. Competitive interests have succeeded in making a great issue of it, but if you disable the things you don't like, it's like other products. BTW 'location tracking' is an option in modern browsers, phones, tablets, and so on. I turn it off everywhere. But on my cell phone I have the GPS set to 'enable for 911' so if I call for help they can find me easier.

Security updates are very important, as are bug fixes. Continuous improvement is a great idea, although I'm sure I won't like everything that changes. With W10, MS made a really huge improvement in paying attention to what customers want. W8 was an exercise in 'shut up and like it!' (think of Ted Knight in Caddyshack "You'll get nothing and like it!" ).

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 33
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/12/2016 7:24:32 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs
W8 was an exercise in 'shut up and like it!' (think of Ted Knight in Caddyshack "You'll get nothing and like it!" ).

"It works just like a giant smart phone! How can you people not like this!!??"

"Because it's NOT A PHONE you idiots!"

I have a Win 7 desktop and Win 8.1 on the laptop. Will definitely upgrade the laptop first, and probably the desktop later, depending how the first experiment work out.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 34
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/12/2016 9:04:43 PM   
rustysi

quote:

i'm afraid windows XP being without updates and old friend that now has seen it's day, and needs putting to sleep like Vista

Yeah, but I still use it on my old laptop to play legacy games like Steel Panthers. Can't get that one to run right in Win7. Display's all messed up.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 35
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/13/2016 5:15:56 AM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Yeah, but I still use it on my old laptop to play legacy games like Steel Panthers. Can't get that one to run right in Win7. Display's all messed up.

You'll be glad to know there is a hack/patch to fix that problem with SP. I found I didn't need it under Win8/8.1 (different drivers).

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 36
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/13/2016 7:32:08 AM   
Chris21wen

Try winSPWW2

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 37
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/13/2016 7:44:37 AM   
zakblood

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Good to see this.

My purpose with the OP was only as stated, status info for people, no desire to stir up the eternal debate!

It has become clear to me that the allegations of W10 spyware were vastly overblown and ignore what is done in other platforms and other applications. My own position is that I want no spyware at all, but I make various compromises out of practicality. I have turned off all those configuration options in W10. But I do use a Gmail account. I do not use an ad blocker (I can let an advertiser pay for the web sites I frequent or I can wind up paying cash if enough of us use ad blockers), an so on and so on. So I am no friend or fan of spyware, and I see nothing out of the ordinary for today's environment with W10. Competitive interests have succeeded in making a great issue of it, but if you disable the things you don't like, it's like other products. BTW 'location tracking' is an option in modern browsers, phones, tablets, and so on. I turn it off everywhere. But on my cell phone I have the GPS set to 'enable for 911' so if I call for help they can find me easier.

Security updates are very important, as are bug fixes. Continuous improvement is a great idea, although I'm sure I won't like everything that changes. With W10, MS made a really huge improvement in paying attention to what customers want. W8 was an exercise in 'shut up and like it!' (think of Ted Knight in Caddyshack "You'll get nothing and like it!" ).

my post wasn't for a debate either just my comment, just info from a member and my opinion on windows 10 as a gaming platform, for me i have no interest on any debates on windows 10 either, as a beta tester of it i know what it does and also what it doesn't do, regarding games is really all i've been interested in, does it work, yes fine i'll use it, what else it does i care less for as the options atm aren't good for support for anything else, as long as my games work, faster or more stable is a bonus but as hardware changes so does the need to developer the software to move it along, for me so far windows 10 has top marks and is well worth it, as for free who can really complain, yes if your hardware is over so many years old, then maybe it's not a great idea or worth the effort, but as long as the game your playing works on the version your using, stay or be happy is my motto

i've tried Mac's, linus and Android, but always had issues with games, not tried a steam O/S and box as yet, but maybe this year will try one and see, then compare, also Google is bringing out it's own O/S as well, so more added to the mix, not sure Chrome O/S will be good or bad either as again not tried it, but for games it's good to see what it happening for the long term regarding gaming platforms

< Message edited by zakblood -- 1/13/2016 8:45:12 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 38
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/13/2016 1:48:48 PM   
Ian R

quote:

Does Dosbox work with win 10?

Or are you saying it has a built in run in win95 or 98 mode that the old dos games work in?

< Message edited by Ian R -- 1/13/2016 2:50:27 PM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 39
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/13/2016 4:00:56 PM   
wneumann

quote:

Often performance degrades with a new OS because Microsoft doesn't put much effort into making new versions faster and they just bloat more and more.

+1 on that, Bill. Putting a new OS on older hardware can turn an otherwise perfectly functioning computer into a quagmire. I installed Windows 10 on a 5-year old laptop that came with Windows 7 (I'm also running AE on this machine), it slowed everything down to a nearly complete stop. I ended up putting it back on Windows 7. Although my laptop (on paper) met the hardware requirements for upgrading to Windows 10, it appeared Win 10 "occupied" too much of the laptop's capacity to the detriment of everything else. I didn't get as far as running AE in Windows 10, too many other things I tried out before that were slowed to a crawl.

Given the laptop is 5-years old, it's better off running on Windows 7 until I replace it. Nothing against a new OS, it's just that a new OS often does not work that well on hardware intended to run an older version of the OS even when the hardware satisfies (on paper) systems requirements to run the new OS. In the IT world it's not unusual that hardware upgrades are required to use a new release of software or (especially) OS.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 40
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/13/2016 10:36:29 PM   
dcpollay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Or are you saying it has a built in run in win95 or 98 mode that the old dos games work in?

I'm running DosBox 0.74 on my Win 10 machine. I've had no problems.

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 41
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/14/2016 1:58:10 AM   
Ian R

Thanks Colonel.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 42
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/15/2016 2:40:53 AM   
LCMS

I'm running Win10 with x99 processor, 64GB RAM, & GEForce 980 GTX. For some reason, the scroll speed is not optimal while focused on a task group or large base. I suspect this is OS based. Win7 scroll speed was superior, on a slower machine. Bizzaro

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 43
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/15/2016 6:30:49 AM   
BBfanboy

Did you check your scroll delay setting and turn off the hexside detail? Those two things can slow down things a lot.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to LCMS)
Post #: 44
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/15/2016 7:45:49 AM   
LeeChard

I installed Win10 when it arrived. I liked it but WitP AE did not run well. Scrolling was dogged down
and mouse clicks lagged.
I don't believe it's a hardware issue. My machine is reasonably up to date.
I've uninstalled it for now.
Has anybody had this issue and solved it?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 45
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/15/2016 7:52:30 AM   
zakblood

quote:

quote:

i use a emulation program for DOS, there's plenty that work fine on windows 10 64bit, all are easy to set up and make any old game work, also use a few for other hardware as well from BBC to Spectrum etc

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 46
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/15/2016 8:20:21 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

I installed Win10 when it arrived. I liked it but WitP AE did not run well. Scrolling was dogged down
and mouse clicks lagged.

There is a whole thread on getting Win 10 to work with AE. The slowness is a known problem with some of the DirectX functions used by AE and multi-core processors. Additionally some video card drivers contribute to the problem, also linked with DirectX. What works best varies depending on the specific hardware so it's often a case of experimenting with the switches until you get the right combo. You can't use the switches on the initial install, you have to install the patches to enable the switches.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 47
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/15/2016 8:57:04 AM   
SvenNyqvist

I still use XP as I have no problems with it. My wife has a 7 PC and a 8.1 laptop, but I am very sceptical about the upgrade to Win 10. I have doubts about the resulting performance and especially about the integrated "spyware".

< Message edited by SvenNyqvist -- 1/15/2016 9:58:14 AM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 48
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/15/2016 9:06:36 AM   
zakblood

quote:

integrated "spyware".

media hype, all Operating systems from any makers have call back features in them and record data, nothing new or different in windows 10 than any other tbh, just it's more used

The company's ultimate goal is to get Windows 10 running on 1 billion devices with two to three years of release.

(in reply to SvenNyqvist)
Post #: 49
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/15/2016 11:52:32 AM   
Ian R

quote:

quote:

quote:

i use a emulation program for DOS, there's plenty that work fine on windows 10 64bit, all are easy to set up and make any old game work, also use a few for other hardware as well from BBC to Spectrum etc

Righto then, I read that to mean dos games (read: PacWar) don't work in windows 10, and you need to run a third party emulator.

I'm sorry Zak, but i remained unconvinced that upgrading to windows 10 is indicated. If it had an inbuilt emulation module that seamlessly ran dos programs, I would upgrade immediately.

Edit: Zak, sorry if that comes accross as negative about win10, but mate, I have to say, some of your posts are coming across as those of a partisan win10 supporter.

Did you say you were a win 10 beta tester? Is that a remunerated role? If so do you think you should be prefacing your statements about the virtues of win 10 with an appropriate disclaimer?

< Message edited by Ian R -- 1/15/2016 1:10:56 PM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 50
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/15/2016 4:11:26 PM   
Dili

quote:

quote:

integrated "spyware".

media hype, all Operating systems from any makers have call back features in them and record data, nothing new or different in windows 10 than any other tbh, just it's more used

The company's ultimate goal is to get Windows 10 running on 1 billion devices with two to three years of release.

There is no hype.
Windows 10 spying is more extensive than W8 and W8 is more than vs Windows 7.
The fact that some - not like you say everyone- make it does not make it right as per what seems to be your argument.

And where is that in a Linux? in a Linux you can also block upgrades that you don't want.

For Windows 10 there is this freeware application that changes some settings:
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

You can view the screenshots.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 51
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/15/2016 8:29:14 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dili

quote:

quote:

integrated "spyware".

There is no hype.
Windows 10 spying is more extensive than W8 and W8 is more than vs Windows 7.
The fact that some - not like you say everyone- make it does not make it right as per what seems to be your argument.

And where is that in a Linux? in a Linux you can also block upgrades that you don't want.

For Windows 10 there is this freeware application that changes some settings:
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

You can view the screenshots.

Thank you for posting that!

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 52
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/15/2016 9:25:57 PM   
Reg

Win10 does not contain 'spyware' as such but contains many 'features' (and the list is extensive) that are pushed as enhancements and many appear attractive to the user on the surface but are open to abuse by the unscrupulous by their very nature.

The are methods as described above to turn off a lot of these features but it does affect the functionality of the software that some users like. It is really up to you what level of security/privacy you feel comfortable with in the end.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 53
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/16/2016 9:31:50 AM   
LeeChard

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

and mouse clicks lagged.

There is a whole thread on getting Win 10 to work with AE. The slowness is a known problem with some of the DirectX functions used by AE and multi-core processors. Additionally some video card drivers contribute to the problem, also linked with DirectX. What works best varies depending on the specific hardware so it's often a case of experimenting with the switches until you get the right combo. You can't use the switches on the initial install, you have to install the patches to enable the switches.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I check out the tech support occasionally but I guess I'm looking for the easy fix(click this magic
button!)
I don't put much effort into it because I like win7 and didn't see much advantage to win10. I have no other devices
that interact with my computer which seems to be the main advantage of 10.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 54
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/17/2016 7:01:45 AM   
jimh009

If it isn't broke don't break it is my philosophy. I'm running Win 8.1 in Parallels on a Macbook Pro (2014) running Yosemite and everything works flawlessly. I have the latest version of Parallels and I'm sure Win 10 would work well on my laptop, but...I worry about AE and other games I have. The primary reason I put Windows on my Mac was for gaming. Due to the age of AE, I have my doubts that AE would run as well as it does now under Windows 8.1. Or, for that matter, that it would run at all.

Since I rarely use Windows for anything but gaming, I find the reasons for doing the free upgrade "less than compelling," although my view could change as we get closer to July 2016.

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 55
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/17/2016 7:24:25 AM   
zakblood

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Righto then, I read that to mean dos games (read: PacWar) don't work in windows 10, and you need to run a third party emulator.

I'm sorry Zak, but i remained unconvinced that upgrading to windows 10 is indicated. If it had an inbuilt emulation module that seamlessly ran dos programs, I would upgrade immediately.

Edit: Zak, sorry if that comes accross as negative about win10, but mate, I have to say, some of your posts are coming across as those of a partisan win10 supporter.

Did you say you were a win 10 beta tester? Is that a remunerated role? If so do you think you should be prefacing your statements about the virtues of win 10 with an appropriate disclaimer?

no a free beta tester from the insider program, as im a MCSE / MSE or was while i worked, so no disclaimer needed

and also retired (15years +) so too old to be a fanboy

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 56
RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices - 1/17/2016 10:54:56 AM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 8:29:30 AM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 57
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Windows 10 Now Active on over 200 Million Devices Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI