Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/9/2016 12:37:09 PM   
barkhorn45

Joseph Balkoski's Our Tortured Soul's.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1831
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/13/2016 10:32:33 AM   
TulliusDetritus

The Ancient Economy by Moses I. Finley

"A splendid contribution to the economic history of classical antiquity. It compels the reader to recognize the depth of the transformation from the ancient consumer economy based on slave and serf labor to the modern capitalist, investment, production, profit economy." -- Floyd Sewer Lear, Business History Review

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to barkhorn45)
Post #: 1832
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/13/2016 2:16:58 PM   
redcoat

As background reading for CMANO I’ve read a short report on the modern Russian Navy called The Russian Navy – A Historic Transition. It is available to read online for free on this website.

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 1833
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/13/2016 3:00:05 PM   
Oberst_Klink

Got 'Fortress Rabaul' by Bruce Gamble... already a jolly good and exciting read!

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 1834
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/13/2016 5:06:21 PM   
Foggy

Battleground Russia - by Prit Buttar - great book
Post #: 1835
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/13/2016 6:29:54 PM   
warspite1

Just read End This Depression Now! by Paul Krugman. That was a waste of my life and time I will never get back

Never mind - its back to Glantz and When Titans Clashed. What a quality read

This could be good - coming out this month.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/13/2016 7:30:27 PM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Foggy)
Post #: 1836
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/13/2016 9:19:51 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Just read End This Depression Now! by Paul Krugman. That was a waste of my life and time I will never get back

I really liked the book. "Waste of my life"?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1837
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/13/2016 9:21:00 PM   
warspite1

There is a book out on the Hungarian Armed Forces after WWI and during WWII. I thought that looks interesting but I would leave it as this was only Volume I and would wait for Volume II to come out before making a decision.

Volume II is now out - but instead of being priced reasonably like Volume I, its on sale for £50!!

That's seems a) a tad rich for my budget, but b) what a rip-off. So anyone buying volume I (no doubt in most cases with a view to completing the work) has to pay a massive premium to do this. Poor.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/14/2016 4:55:29 AM >

Post #: 1838
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/13/2016 9:52:11 PM   
DonCzirr

Horus Rising by Dan Abnett ... apparently I have a very long journey ahead ;)

Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1839
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/17/2016 8:19:39 AM   
waltero

Do audio books count?

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 1840
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/17/2016 8:53:47 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: waltero

Do audio books count?
warspite1

Yes waltero, yes they do.

(in reply to waltero)
Post #: 1841
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/19/2016 7:50:13 PM   
AbwehrX

Has anyone here read this yet? What a pivotal decision in the war. Had the British lost India in 1942, the Middle East might have fallen and Turkey couldve joined the Axis.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1842
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/19/2016 9:59:08 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: AbwehrX

Has anyone here read this yet? What a pivotal decision in the war. Had the British lost India in 1942, the Middle East might have fallen and Turkey couldve joined the Axis.

warspite1

I haven't, but the title puts me off. How anyone can describe Nagumo's Indian Ocean Raid as the most dangerous moment of the war is totally beyond me. Suppose the Japanese had sunk the Eastern Fleet rather than just an old carrier and a couple of cruisers? What difference would that have made? The Japanese had nothing to back the limited raid up with.

The Doolittle raid would still have happened, the furore that caused in Tokyo would still have happened and the Midway operation - to once and for all get rid of the US Fleet - would have happened.

(in reply to AbwehrX)
Post #: 1843
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/19/2016 11:27:00 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

warspite1

I haven't, but the title puts me off. How anyone can describe Nagumo's Indian Ocean Raid as the most dangerous moment of the war is totally beyond me. Suppose the Japanese had sunk the Eastern Fleet rather than just an old carrier and a couple of cruisers? What difference would that have made? The Japanese had nothing to back the limited raid up with.

The Doolittle raid would still have happened, the furore that caused in Tokyo would still have happened and the Midway operation - to once and for all get rid of the US Fleet - would have happened.

Actually the person who used that phrase was none other than one Winston Spencer Churchill (who was known to exaggerate occasionally for dramatic effect).

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1844
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/19/2016 11:34:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Actually the person who used that phrase was none other than one Winston Spencer Churchill (who was known to exaggerate occasionally for dramatic effect).
warspite1

Indeed so, the operative words being 'for dramatic effect', but also bearing in mind that they are being said at the time. No one then knew what was to come, but a book written with hindsight? Perhaps not so clever!

Edit: Two reviews on Amazon so far - both 3/5 stars. Not great.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/20/2016 12:43:58 AM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 1845
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/19/2016 11:49:04 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Indeed so, the operative words being 'for dramatic effect', but also bearing in mind that they are being said at the time. No one then knew what was to come, but a book written with hindsight? Perhaps not so clever!

Edit: Two reviews on Amazon so far - both 3/5 stars. Not great.

True. It was just a carrier raid. Japan could not win the war in the Indian Ocean.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1846
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/20/2016 5:01:21 AM   
LoungJu

I'm reading Umberto Eco's *The Name of the Rose* atm. I have deep respect for the author and strongly recommend it to all of you, guys.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 1847
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/20/2016 5:16:02 AM   
WingedIncubus

Reading Glantz' Operation Barbarossa.

Next on my eReader are Volumes 6 and 7 of Franz Halder's War Diaries.

(in reply to LoungJu)
Post #: 1848
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/20/2016 8:52:27 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

True. It was just a carrier raid. Japan could not win the war in the Indian Ocean.

True, but the British -and the allies- would have been in really deep trouble had Japan tried to invade India: the Middle East, the oil fields, the Germans were about to start their summer offensive - the Caucasus and Stalingrad (which failed). And let's not forget: before a Midway battle: an intact mighty Kido Butai

The raid was a classic veni vidi vici. Nagumo was totally free to create a big mess whilst Somerville was literally hiding -the right thing to do if he wanted to avoid annihilation... No doubt Nelson was turning in his grave.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 1849
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/20/2016 9:07:07 AM   
invernomuto

Stephen Biddle - "Military Power - Explaining Victory and Defeat in Modern Battles".
Very interesting reading so far.

Post #: 1850
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/20/2016 5:10:45 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

True, but the British -and the allies- would have been in really deep trouble had Japan tried to invade India: the Middle East, the oil fields, the Germans were about to start their summer offensive - the Caucasus and Stalingrad (which failed). And let's not forget: before a Midway battle: an intact mighty Kido Butai

The raid was a classic veni vidi vici. Nagumo was totally free to create a big mess whilst Somerville was literally hiding -the right thing to do if he wanted to avoid annihilation... No doubt Nelson was turning in his grave.
warspite1

The raid was far from classic - it achieved nothing of strategic importance, but simply helped in the whittling down of a finite - but precious - resource; the men of the naval air arm.

As for the British being in deep trouble, that depends on what the Japanese could bring to the party. Over-burdened in China, still needing to keep at least a wary eye on the Soviets, the Japanese were not exactly endowed with an embarrassment of riches (spare troops).

Post #: 1851
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/20/2016 5:44:17 PM   
Jagdtiger14

Paul Krugman is definitely a waste of time. Speaking of time:

As for the Indian Ocean raid...that was a waste of not only resources and men, but of time as well. If only they had sunk the HMS Warspite, then perhaps...?

An Indian Ocean strategy would have been the best idea Japan could have come up with...in coordination with Axis Med strategy (early-mid '41?).
1. DOW CW/France/Neth, but not US (no Pearl Harbor)
2. Stop at Port Moresby in the SE. Later, if US not at war, then New Caledonia?
3. Indian Ocean initial objectives: Sri Lanka (Ceylon), Madagascar, Horn of Africa (Italian terr.).
4. Diplomacy concerning India (nationhood)
5. Assuming Axis have taken Gib/Malta and are advancing into Egypt (perhaps trying to outflank it in Syria - Sinai)...Japan can try to stop CW coming around S. Africa and threaten Egypt from the Red Sea. Perhaps even using Italian troops stuck south of Sudan.

Conflict with the unexpected: two qualities are indispensable; first, an intellect which, even in the midst of this obscurity, is not without some traces of inner light which lead to the truth; second, the courage to follow this faint light. KvC

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1852
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/20/2016 8:08:29 PM   
TulliusDetritus

My sources say 7 planes lost during the Trincomalae raid, none when the Cornwall, Dorsetshire and later the Hermes were sunk and 4 during the Colombo raid. Well, I guess the Pearl Harbor raid was also a defeat, eh, they lost 29 planes or crews that could not fight later

As for Krugman, you can't be serious A Nobel Prize winner, one of the most respected economists... You're simply not interested about political economy. Fair enough, but don't blame him.

(in reply to Jagdtiger14)
Post #: 1853
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/20/2016 8:56:26 PM   
warspite1

Not sure why the need for sarcasm or the rather silly 'Pearl Harbor raid was also a defeat' but you've rather missed the point.

The Indian Ocean Raid achieved nothing from a strategic point of view - but did use up fuel, placed more wear and tear on five fleet carriers of the KB and more strain on the pilots - who had been in operation for 6 months practically solid by the time of Midway - and for which there was not exactly a steady stream of replacements was there?

The Kido Butai was an enormously powerful asset, it had plenty to occupy itself with in the Pacific without wasting time and effort in the Indian Ocean.

As for Krugman, yes perfectly serious. Look at some of the past winners of the Nobel Prize - you think winning one is a guarantee of anything? The guy likens the world economy to a baby-sitting club. The respect for him as an economist is hardly universal....

Post #: 1854
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/20/2016 8:59:34 PM   
warspite1

Anyway, let's agree to disagree on Krugman as this will only end up political and I would prefer this book thread not be locked.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1855
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/20/2016 10:00:18 PM   
wings7

quote:

Anyway, let's agree to disagree on Krugman as this will only end up political and I would prefer this book thread not be locked.

Yes Indeed!

Patrick

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1856
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/20/2016 10:08:46 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

The Indian Ocean Raid achieved nothing from a strategic point of view - but did use up fuel, placed more wear and tear on five fleet carriers of the KB and more strain on the pilots - who had been in operation for 6 months practically solid by the time of Midway - and for which there was not exactly a steady stream of replacements was there?

The Kido Butai was an enormously powerful asset, it had plenty to occupy itself with in the Pacific without wasting time and effort in the Indian Ocean.

As for Krugman, yes perfectly serious. Look at some of the past winners of the Nobel Prize - you think winning one is a guarantee of anything? The guy likens the world economy to a baby-sitting club. The respect for him as an economist is hardly universal....

Well, the raid in fact achieved two things: the Royal Navy would not be interfering with the Japanese operations in Burma... And second, they would abandon the Indian Ocean, withdrawing to Eastern Africa... One less threat, guess what, that's what the Japanese high command wanted back in the spring of 1942.

"The respect for him [Krugman] as an economist is hardly universal...."

I hope you are talking about trained economists... And above all, I hope a certain Niall Ferguson (the Census thing) is not on the picture.

If you don't read him, your loss. I agree, let's stick to books

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1857
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/21/2016 1:15:52 AM   
AbwehrX

quote:

An Indian Ocean strategy would have been the best idea Japan could have come up with...in coordination with Axis Med strategy (early-mid '41?).
1. DOW CW/France/Neth, but not US (no Pearl Harbor)
2. Stop at Port Moresby in the SE. Later, if US not at war, then New Caledonia?
3. Indian Ocean initial objectives: Sri Lanka (Ceylon), Madagascar, Horn of Africa (Italian terr.).
4. Diplomacy concerning India (nationhood)
5. Assuming Axis have taken Gib/Malta and are advancing into Egypt (perhaps trying to outflank it in Syria - Sinai)...Japan can try to stop CW coming around S. Africa and threaten Egypt from the Red Sea. Perhaps even using Italian troops stuck south of Sudan.

I always do something similar to this in World in Flames.

(in reply to barkhorn45)
Post #: 1858
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 1/21/2016 5:18:40 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

Well, the raid in fact achieved two things: the Royal Navy would not be interfering with the Japanese operations in Burma... And second, they would abandon the Indian Ocean, withdrawing to Eastern Africa... One less threat, guess what, that's what the Japanese high command wanted back in the spring of 1942.

"The respect for him [Krugman] as an economist is hardly universal...."

I hope you are talking about trained economists... And above all, I hope a certain Niall Ferguson (the Census thing) is not on the picture.

If you don't read him, your loss. I agree, let's stick to books
warspite1

I have read him as per my earlier post.

quote:

One less threat, guess what, that's what the Japanese high command wanted back in the spring of 1942.

Why have you missed out that what the Japanese really wanted was the destruction of the Eastern Fleet?

The fact was (and fair enough the Japanese could not know this) the Royal Navy in 1942 was never going to be a threat in the Indian Ocean because a) it was having to fight in the Arctic, the North Atlantic, the South Atlantic, the Southern Indian Ocean and the Mediterranean and just did not have the ships to spare to put together a balanced, sensible fleet in the Far East b) the bases were not up to the job - that was what Singapore was supposed to be for....

By the way you said Somerville was 'literally hiding'. That is not what actually happened was it? Quite the reverse, both his 'old tarts' and the Fast Division were at sea hoping to catch Nagumo in a night battle but (probably fortunately) by the time the Japanese arrived the Fleet had turned west to refuel and replenish.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/21/2016 7:31:00 AM >

Post #: 1859
Page:   <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  60 61 [62] 63 64   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI