Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: First person shooters then and now

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: First person shooters then and now Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: First person shooters then and now - 1/19/2016 10:11:55 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

The evolution of this genre is clear: from mazes to an "open", utter realistic world.

You think so? Video would have been better with Classic Doom 3.
So what open & realistic world FPS games were made last year?

Now that you mention Doom 3, I was very disappointed with the game (my best mate too, another FPSer). We did not finish it. IIRC in Doom 2 you could go wherever you wanted. In Doom 3 you were literally on tracks. This I never liked.

I don't know what FPS were made last year though. By "open and realistic" I mean no underground labyrinths but usually the country (or apocalyptic cities), realistically designed: the sounds, the atmosphere, the sun, shadows and wind. The Stalker series that is (there are some underground labyrinths, yes).

All the modern FPS I am seeing on youtube basically follow this rule.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 31
RE: First person shooters then and now - 1/19/2016 10:16:53 PM   
aaatoysandmore

Fallout New Vegas isn't a FPS? What would you call it then?

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 32
RE: First person shooters then and now - 1/19/2016 10:55:55 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pvt_Grunt

Agreed - that game was one of the funnest I have ever played. I had a small group of friends playing ET online years ago and we had a blast. Free too -!!!

If you were a sniper you could steal the uniform from a dead enemy and be disguised! Usually just long enough to lob a grenade at the spawn pack !

The last time I played the game, almost one year ago, the servers were filled with bots, no real players

Have you watched this classic?

And this one too.

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 1/19/2016 11:59:21 PM >

(in reply to Pvt_Grunt)
Post #: 33
RE: First person shooters then and now - 1/19/2016 11:37:40 PM   
budd

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Fallout New Vegas isn't a FPS? What would you call it then?

Not strictly an FPS because the rpg elements as in dumping points into skills and such. Not sure what there officially called or that it matters. One of my all time favorites " Bioshock" has those same rpg elements, loved exploring Rapture, play and finish it about once a year.

Wing7- besides the old fallout games i have New Vegas, i'm about halfway through but lost interest to continue. Another reason i like steam is the fact that when i reload it i'll pickup where i left off via cloud save. I never seem to finish the open world games, the only ones i ever have are Borderlands 1 and Elder Scrolls Oblivion. While i have finished a lot of rails FPS games, maybe i just dont have the attention span for 100's of hours in the same game. I like the idea of open world games but apparently not for 100+ hours.

As a side note if you want to go old school find a DOOM2 wad and load up brutal doom mod, thats still a fun killfest. Just google brutal doom

< Message edited by **budd** -- 1/20/2016 12:57:42 AM >

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 34
RE: First person shooters then and now - 1/20/2016 4:06:37 AM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Now that you mention Doom 3, I was very disappointed with the game (my best mate too, another FPSer). We did not finish it. IIRC in Doom 2 you could go wherever you wanted. In Doom 3 you were literally on tracks. This I never liked.

Do you know about Call of Duty series? It is just like that. Player is pretty much stuck on the trench without way out of it. Video I linked to is parody based on CoD series. Newest CoD game from last year is CoD: Black Ops 3.

quote:

I don't know what FPS were made last year though.

Here are few YouTube search placed on top. Black Ops 3 isn't there for some reason...

quote:

By "open and realistic" I mean no underground labyrinths but usually the country (or apocalyptic cities), realistically designed: the sounds, the atmosphere, the sun, shadows and wind. The Stalker series that is (there are some underground labyrinths, yes).

All the modern FPS I am seeing on youtube basically follow this rule.

What are your favourite ones? Do you count Castle Wolfenstein among such games? I don't.

[edit]
Also I recommend you to reinstall Doom 3 and download Classic Doom 3 mod for it. It practically is first episode of the first Doom on Doom 3 game engine.

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 1/20/2016 5:09:20 AM >

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 35
RE: First person shooters then and now - 1/20/2016 5:06:34 AM   
LoungJu

I'm not a single player fps fan, so all I can add is about multiplayer game:
I love the recent tactical shooter Rainbow Six. After the games like CoD it's awesome to take a caution step by step trying not to get into enemy trap. My point is, that shooters are interesting for me when there is something more that tipping the trigger and yelling like Rambo. I like R6 because you have to use your mind and creativity to find the weak stop of the derences and to breach through it.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 36
RE: First person shooters then and now - 1/20/2016 9:03:21 AM   
TulliusDetritus

Matti,

Yes, you are right about the COD series. Open but you're the same on tracks and cannot leave them.

My favourites are Doom 2 and the Stalker series. Problem is my computer is obsolete. I need a good one then try the modern FPSs. Metro 2033 is on my list too (not the most modern but made by the guys who made the Stalkers). And some others I saw on youtube.

And yes! I will follow your advice and play Doom 3 with that mod! Thank you

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
What are your favourite ones? Do you count Castle Wolfenstein among such games? I don't.

Return to Castle of Wolfenstein or ET is special. It is indeed a pure FPS (and vs humans). Raise the flag, well defined objectives in each map - Gold Rush, Fuel Dump, Oasis etc etc. It is always the same mission but each game is different (because there are humans ): sometimes you will succeed and sometimes you will fail.

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 1/20/2016 12:13:35 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 37
RE: First person shooters then and now - 1/20/2016 2:13:22 PM   
budd

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoungJu

I'm not a single player fps fan, so all I can add is about multiplayer game:
I love the recent tactical shooter Rainbow Six. After the games like CoD it's awesome to take a caution step by step trying not to get into enemy trap. My point is, that shooters are interesting for me when there is something more that tipping the trigger and yelling like Rambo. I like R6 because you have to use your mind and creativity to find the weak stop of the derences and to breach through it.

I have plenty of use my mind games in a bunch of different genres. Sometimes I just like grip it and rip it. Point A to point B , where's my shotgun. Me, caffeine , and my aging reflexes.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to LoungJu)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: First person shooters then and now Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI