Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT : World of Warships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT : World of Warships Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT : World of Warships - 11/13/2015 6:46:22 AM   
Barb

Tried playing it yesterday for a few hours... A nice "first-person shooter" for relaxing up. Nothing more in it so far. It simply lacks the deepness of WITPAE, the planning, the thrill of going for the objective, the few mad dice rolls that could mean victory or defeat...

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 121
RE: OT : World of Warships - 11/13/2015 2:11:01 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

Tried playing it yesterday for a few hours... A nice "first-person shooter" for relaxing up. Nothing more in it so far. It simply lacks the deepness of WITPAE, the planning, the thrill of going for the objective, the few mad dice rolls that could mean victory or defeat...

I don´t think its meant to be a rival to AE...

I like it for what it is. A perfect game for a quick couple of rounds when you have a couple of minutes over. I´m usually pretty fuzzy about my games and this one has kept me hooked since summer. The slow pace means I can play it even after a couple of beers which is a nice bonus!

While RNG is present in the game I don´t find it much of an issue. Things tend to level out eventually.

PS. Anyone else gotten the Iowa yet?

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 122
RE: OT : World of Warships - 11/13/2015 7:23:54 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barb

I don´t think its meant to be a rival to AE...

I like it for what it is. A perfect game for a quick couple of rounds when you have a couple of minutes over. I´m usually pretty fuzzy about my games and this one has kept me hooked since summer. The slow pace means I can play it even after a couple of beers which is a nice bonus!

While RNG is present in the game I don´t find it much of an issue. Things tend to level out eventually.

PS. Anyone else gotten the Iowa yet?

Nope. I don't have that singular focus that so many people seem to have to just grind and drive and grind their way through one aspect. I prefer diversity.

Also, isn't having some beer before/while playing this game... required? I'm not sure I've ever really played it without at least being on my way to opening one.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 123
RE: OT : World of Warships - 11/14/2015 4:43:54 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna
Nope. I don't have that singular focus that so many people seem to have to just grind and drive and grind their way through one aspect. I prefer diversity.

Also, isn't having some beer before/while playing this game... required? I'm not sure I've ever really played it without at least being on my way to opening one.

I think I´m pretty diverse? Currently playing Iowa, New Orleans, Ranger, Mutsuki, Murmansk, Cleveland and Tenryu. The last 4 I´m playing to get cash. But ironically they are the most fun!

Its pretty mandatory to have a beer while you play..yes!

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 124
RE: OT : World of Warships - 11/14/2015 4:46:26 AM   
atheory

Yes beer. With my torpedo ships, I just hit the Q or E button, drink with my left and fire with my right.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 125
RE: OT : World of Warships - 11/14/2015 6:08:38 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

I think I´m pretty diverse? Currently playing Iowa, New Orleans, Ranger, Mutsuki, Murmansk, Cleveland and Tenryu. The last 4 I´m playing to get cash. But ironically they are the most fun!

Its pretty mandatory to have a beer while you play..yes!

Then you just play a whole crapload more than I do, and I probably average an hour a day .

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 126
RE: OT : World of Warships - 11/14/2015 7:25:28 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

Then you just play a whole crapload more than I do, and I probably average an hour a day .

980 battles.

Stated playing when I was still on "daddy leave" so could play for 2-3 hours per day when son was sleeping. Currently playing about an hour per day.

Low tier is pretty fast. Got to the Ranger in 7-8 days using some free XP and flags. Got a couple of 10k+ EXP battles in the NC but had to grind money for the Iowa (15.5 mil!). Hence the Murmansk which is insanely fun!

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 127
RE: OT : World of Warships - 11/14/2015 1:48:40 PM   
iley

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a new computer this is it. My old computer is just not up to this game.

Iley

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 128
RE: OT : World of Warships - 11/14/2015 2:06:53 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

ORIGINAL: iley

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a new computer this is it. My old computer is just not up to this game.

Iley

If that isn´t an excuse enough you also have Fallout 4 (havn´t tried it yet though).

(in reply to iley)
Post #: 129
RE: OT : World of Warships - 11/14/2015 4:01:35 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

980 battles.

Stated playing when I was still on "daddy leave" so could play for 2-3 hours per day when son was sleeping. Currently playing about an hour per day.

Low tier is pretty fast. Got to the Ranger in 7-8 days using some free XP and flags. Got a couple of 10k+ EXP battles in the NC but had to grind money for the Iowa (15.5 mil!). Hence the Murmansk which is insanely fun!

I'm somewhere around 555-560 battles (plus maybe 50 AI). Up through tier 5 or so is pretty fast, yeah... but it takes weeks for the ones after that. Hence my surprise you have so many upper tier ships. I got my Mogami earlier this week, so that's nice I guess.

But I think they should drop service costs for T8+. Everybody just sits in the back and shoots 12-second flight time shells because they don't want to die and pay more credits to repair their ship than they make in the match. I don't think that's the game they want, considering they just put in a new mode where they want everyone to fight over the middle. I've played that mode 3-4 times in my higher tier ships now, and it's boring/frustrating because nobody goes for it and just sits 15km away all the time because repair bills. I mean we're talking my bill for the Myoko was 58,000 if I died (expensive, but if I had an OK game I still made some money)...and the Mogami is around 110,000. Which means that I have to have a good game just to have a chance of breaking even, or a great game to make money.

I get that they want people to spend real money on in-game money, but this degree of "you have to pay us for in-game money or you'll never have any, or else play lower tier ships 3x as often as your upper tier forever just to have enough money to play the upper tier ships".... it's really blatant and honestly disrespectful of them, IMO. It's my only substantial gripe against the game.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 130
RE: OT : World of Warships - 11/14/2015 6:19:32 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

I'm somewhere around 555-560 battles (plus maybe 50 AI). Up through tier 5 or so is pretty fast, yeah... but it takes weeks for the ones after that. Hence my surprise you have so many upper tier ships. I got my Mogami earlier this week, so that's nice I guess.

But I think they should drop service costs for T8+. Everybody just sits in the back and shoots 12-second flight time shells because they don't want to die and pay more credits to repair their ship than they make in the match. I don't think that's the game they want, considering they just put in a new mode where they want everyone to fight over the middle. I've played that mode 3-4 times in my higher tier ships now, and it's boring/frustrating because nobody goes for it and just sits 15km away all the time because repair bills. I mean we're talking my bill for the Myoko was 58,000 if I died (expensive, but if I had an OK game I still made some money)...and the Mogami is around 110,000. Which means that I have to have a good game just to have a chance of breaking even, or a great game to make money.

I get that they want people to spend real money on in-game money, but this degree of "you have to pay us for in-game money or you'll never have any, or else play lower tier ships 3x as often as your upper tier forever just to have enough money to play the upper tier ships".... it's really blatant and honestly disrespectful of them, IMO. It's my only substantial gripe against the game.

I should add that I have premium so XP gain is faster which certainly makes a difference! Only played the new mode twice and both games was very fun. But judging by the forum I´ve been lucky. Not many positives about it....

Only played 3 games in the Iowa and so far repair doesn´t seem to bad. Been doing 70k+ damage and made around 100k per game or so. In my NC I made a killing when it came to money. 150-250k + per game wasn´t uncommon. Was averaging around 55-60k damage. Without premium I would still have earned some money but not as much.

I´m actually not that bothered by the cost of higher tier games. Playing the Murmansk, Wickes, Cleveland or Tenruy for money is really fun and doesn´t really feel like a grind. Just had 5 kill 60k damage game in my Wickes. Those lower tier games are lightning quick and I can usually make a mill or two pretty quickly.

I think when it comes to higher tier games the worst players are the ones sniping from 20k. The guys with really good damage and score are usually the ones pushing. I really struggled initially in the NC until I started closing down to 10-12k range. Just make sure you are angled or you will suffer!

What I do find odd though is the repair for the NO. Its 110k. I think its 170k for the Iowa. You don´t need a degree to realize which one is more viable.
Average damage is the NO: 35k
Average damage in the NC: 58k
Average damage in the Iowa 88k

All those have similar repair costs but income is based on damage...ehm?

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 131
RE: OT : World of Warships - 11/14/2015 8:45:31 PM   
Lokasenna

I had 90 days of premium. Credits are the bottleneck, though. I'm only 6K XP from getting the Hatsuharu, but over 4M credits from it. Only 5K XP from the Nicholas, but again...about 1M credits from being able to buy it. And I haven't even bought the 2M ship modification for my Mogami, or some of the modifications for my Pensacola (I kept the Cleveland in my stable so I couldn't transfer them over). Basically, I either need to pay for a premium account or continually play my Murmansk, Cleveland, Kuma, etc. - all lower tier ships - in order to "farm" up credits. A certain degree of this isn't so bad, and in fact encourages people to play a variety of ships instead of just always playing the biggest monsters in each class. But the degree to which the repair costs skyrocket is a deterrent to playing the game long term.

I'm not sure of the exact algorithm for receipt of credits, but these are the major factors from my observations:
*Total damage dealt, but it seems to be relative to your own health and/or to your tier. Dealing 100K damage in my Mogami will not get me the same amount of credits as 100K damage in my Kuma, or in a Fubuki (T8 destroyer)
*Kills (even if you only dealt the last 200 damage) are worth a lot
*Critical hits (incapacitations, citadels, fires, flooding) regardless of the extra damage that they cause
*Base captures and defense flags
*Planes shot down (minimal gain)

Really, my problem is that the increase in repair cost from tiers 1-4 to T5-T6 (IIRC the Furutaka cost just under 30K when you died, and the Aoba around 40K) seemed about right. The Aoba to the Myoko was an increase of about 50%. But the repair cost between Myoko and Mogami was an increase of another 85%. It gets ridiculous. How much money do you make per game in your Iowa - somewhere in the 125-200K range, right?

What if you got detonated? Or otherwise screwed over by the matchmaker (the other night I was the lone T8 in an entire match of T9-10, with 8 total T10 ships)? I almost died in the first 5 minutes because of the extreme ranges and getting concentrated upon. I ended up salvaging it and earned 15K credits, but the 90% service cost and 15K I had to pay for ammo ate up 110K of the 125K. Their mechanics really push you to be on premium or play really well in every single game. I seem to be on the better end of the player base, routinely finishing in the top 2 on my team and often at the top (I average .98 kills per game, and my K/D is 1.3 and climbing). In that particular game I finished third on my team. I would need 7 such games just to make up for 1 awful game in which I barely did any damage and died quickly, or worse took 12 minutes to die but also didn't do much damage. I've played only 6 games in the Mogami because of its cost - my team has won 4 of those games (you know that sometimes you have to probably sacrifice yourself for the good of the mission), and I've averaged 1 kill in each of those games. I died in 4 of them. My average damage for those 6 games is 53K, which is 1.5* the health of my ship. A good trade. But I've actually lost credits over the course of those 6 games, not gained them or even been close to breaking even. And that's what's so wrong about the repair costs.

Unless I buy more premium account time, in which case it would only take 1 such game to make up for 1 awful game. The disparity between playing with premium and not playing with premium is too huge. I think they would get more people buying premium time if it were worth it to periodically pay for premium. As it stands, there are people who will always pay for premium and then there are folks like me who look at it as a choice - do I want to pay for a bonus, or do I want to just try to earn it through playing well? But the way they have costs set up, it's not really a choice. I could see it driving me away from the game once I finally get bored of playing the lower tier ships. I have better things to do with my money than spend $15 per month on premium time in a MOBA.

As for the guys "sniping" from 20km being the bad ones while the good ones are playing closer up, I find it to be the exact opposite. They may hit less at those ranges, but they outrange you. Perhaps part of the problem is that I'm not playing in ranked battles. In ranked battles, there's a limit on the number of BBs in any given matchup. The ones that I find to be the worst are those with 3-4 BBs on the enemy team. If they squadron up, then wherever they are on the map basically becomes a BB fight from 15-20km because if you get any closer you've got no chance to try to ruin their aim, and if you aren't also in a BB then you can't withstand the damage. 2-3 good hits from a BB puts a cruiser effectively out of the fight. You can citadel a cruiser from dead on as they're closing with you - I've done it, and had it done to me.

WRT playing the lower tier games for money... again, premium time. I make about 150K per Murmansk game, even if I die. With premium, that would be over 300K. That's fine. But each game is up to 20 minutes long. In order to make sure I can play a few Mogami games, let alone build up credits to buy my other new ships, I've got to play dozens of games at T4/T5. That's a grind. They're basically saying that you have to have a premium account in order to be able to continuously play at the high tiers, and that's what I have a problem with. Wargaming.net always came across as greedy to me before I played one of their games. Now that I play one, it's even worse than I had perceived before. It's all about the cash grab from, well, guys like you!

/rant

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 132
RE: OT : World of Warships - 11/15/2015 6:09:44 AM   
JocMeister

quote:

I had 90 days of premium. Credits are the bottleneck, though. I'm only 6K XP from getting the Hatsuharu, but over 4M credits from it. Only 5K XP from the Nicholas, but again...about 1M credits from being able to buy it. And I haven't even bought the 2M ship modification for my Mogami, or some of the modifications for my Pensacola (I kept the Cleveland in my stable so I couldn't transfer them over). Basically, I either need to pay for a premium account or continually play my Murmansk, Cleveland, Kuma, etc. - all lower tier ships - in order to "farm" up credits. A certain degree of this isn't so bad, and in fact encourages people to play a variety of ships instead of just always playing the biggest monsters in each class. But the degree to which the repair costs skyrocket is a deterrent to playing the game long term.

I'm not sure of the exact algorithm for receipt of credits, but these are the major factors from my observations:
*Total damage dealt, but it seems to be relative to your own health and/or to your tier. Dealing 100K damage in my Mogami will not get me the same amount of credits as 100K damage in my Kuma, or in a Fubuki (T8 destroyer)
*Kills (even if you only dealt the last 200 damage) are worth a lot
*Critical hits (incapacitations, citadels, fires, flooding) regardless of the extra damage that they cause
*Base captures and defense flags
*Planes shot down (minimal gain)

Really, my problem is that the increase in repair cost from tiers 1-4 to T5-T6 (IIRC the Furutaka cost just under 30K when you died, and the Aoba around 40K) seemed about right. The Aoba to the Myoko was an increase of about 50%. But the repair cost between Myoko and Mogami was an increase of another 85%. It gets ridiculous. How much money do you make per game in your Iowa - somewhere in the 125-200K range, right?

What if you got detonated? Or otherwise screwed over by the matchmaker (the other night I was the lone T8 in an entire match of T9-10, with 8 total T10 ships)? I almost died in the first 5 minutes because of the extreme ranges and getting concentrated upon. I ended up salvaging it and earned 15K credits, but the 90% service cost and 15K I had to pay for ammo ate up 110K of the 125K. Their mechanics really push you to be on premium or play really well in every single game. I seem to be on the better end of the player base, routinely finishing in the top 2 on my team and often at the top (I average .98 kills per game, and my K/D is 1.3 and climbing). In that particular game I finished third on my team. I would need 7 such games just to make up for 1 awful game in which I barely did any damage and died quickly, or worse took 12 minutes to die but also didn't do much damage. I've played only 6 games in the Mogami because of its cost - my team has won 4 of those games (you know that sometimes you have to probably sacrifice yourself for the good of the mission), and I've averaged 1 kill in each of those games. I died in 4 of them. My average damage for those 6 games is 53K, which is 1.5* the health of my ship. A good trade. But I've actually lost credits over the course of those 6 games, not gained them or even been close to breaking even. And that's what's so wrong about the repair costs.

Unless I buy more premium account time, in which case it would only take 1 such game to make up for 1 awful game. The disparity between playing with premium and not playing with premium is too huge. I think they would get more people buying premium time if it were worth it to periodically pay for premium. As it stands, there are people who will always pay for premium and then there are folks like me who look at it as a choice - do I want to pay for a bonus, or do I want to just try to earn it through playing well? But the way they have costs set up, it's not really a choice. I could see it driving me away from the game once I finally get bored of playing the lower tier ships. I have better things to do with my money than spend $15 per month on premium time in a MOBA.

As for the guys "sniping" from 20km being the bad ones while the good ones are playing closer up, I find it to be the exact opposite. They may hit less at those ranges, but they outrange you. Perhaps part of the problem is that I'm not playing in ranked battles. In ranked battles, there's a limit on the number of BBs in any given matchup. The ones that I find to be the worst are those with 3-4 BBs on the enemy team. If they squadron up, then wherever they are on the map basically becomes a BB fight from 15-20km because if you get any closer you've got no chance to try to ruin their aim, and if you aren't also in a BB then you can't withstand the damage. 2-3 good hits from a BB puts a cruiser effectively out of the fight. You can citadel a cruiser from dead on as they're closing with you - I've done it, and had it done to me.

WRT playing the lower tier games for money... again, premium time. I make about 150K per Murmansk game, even if I die. With premium, that would be over 300K. That's fine. But each game is up to 20 minutes long. In order to make sure I can play a few Mogami games, let alone build up credits to buy my other new ships, I've got to play dozens of games at T4/T5. That's a grind. They're basically saying that you have to have a premium account in order to be able to continuously play at the high tiers, and that's what I have a problem with. Wargaming.net always came across as greedy to me before I played one of their games. Now that I play one, it's even worse than I had perceived before. It's all about the cash grab from, well, guys like you!

/rant

I´m not disagreeing but I don´t find the repair costs that bad until T8.

I grinded 15 mill for the Iowa in a week which I don´t think is too bad. The trick is to be as effective as possible. You don´t want to survive the game. I YOLO with the Murmansk, die in the 1st 5, switch to Tenruy, YOLO and die, switch to the Wickes...and so on. That way I can play probably 8-10 games per hour each giving me 100-300k. That is a lot of money per hour. Keep in mind its ALL about the damage you do. Screw everything else.

As I said I´m not really that put off by the repair costs with the exception of the NO. With its low Avr. damage its really, really hard to break even even with premium. With the NC I actually made a lot of money as I seldom died and often did damage in the 80k range. Only had 3 battles in the Iowa so far (2 good 1 crap) but I made money even in the crappy one so I don´t feel that worried.

I´m just not that bothered by the system but it seems most players dislike it as you do. Very hard to find games in the Iowa which means very few people playing higher tiers. That is a shame and I hope they address it. Little hope for that though...

< Message edited by JocMeister -- 11/15/2015 7:25:58 AM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 133
RE: OT : World of Warships - 11/15/2015 4:44:01 PM   
Lokasenna

Right, it's at T8 where the costs jump up so much. T7 wasn't so bad.

Then there are games like the one I had last night after posting that. Loaded up the Mogami, and a friendly CV torped me trying to torp an Atlanta (which had only a few thousand HP left and died before his torpedoes hit the sinking hull). That wasn't the only reason I had a bad game (I made a mistake in movement) but losing 10K (roughly 1/4) of my HP to an idiot buddy definitely changed things. I ended up with 2K HP left at the end of the match, and lost 35K credits, including the 9K he paid me for the damage. But at least they fixed that - a while back, it would've been just a few hundred from him.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 134
RE: OT : World of Warships - 1/11/2016 4:46:35 PM   
cdnice

Just bought BB Colorado and DD Mahan after a spell of saving. Love the Colorado but looking forward to the North Carolina. Was able to grab the Warspite as well at Christmas and sent in a decoration for a free BB Mikasa too. I love the Warspite, what a great brawler, looking forward to a full British BB line sometime this year....I hope.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 135
RE: OT : World of Warships - 1/11/2016 4:51:33 PM   
JocMeister

North Carolina was/is my favorite ship in the game. Regret selling it for the Iowa as she just absolutely brilliant and lots of fun to play. You will have to learn to angle properly though as she is not a brawler!

(in reply to cdnice)
Post #: 136
RE: OT : World of Warships - 1/11/2016 4:57:41 PM   
cdnice

Is the NC economical to play? I hear so much about ships being too expensive to repair after playing, I assume since it is an VIII she is still alright? Haven't had issue with my Tirpitz yet.

Thanks for the tips, always trying to get the hang of that down. Will spend some time in co-op when I get it to see how best to use her.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 137
RE: OT : World of Warships - 1/11/2016 6:39:50 PM   
JocMeister

With premium I made a killing with the NC. Around 200k after repairs per game. Not sure how much that gets you without premium.

The thing with the NC is that you very often end up top tier in the game. So you have to do a lot of "carrying". I found that she worked best around 10-12k range. Make sure your front is always pointed towards the enemy. Don´t show your citadel. Its HUGE!

(in reply to cdnice)
Post #: 138
RE: OT : World of Warships - 1/11/2016 6:43:26 PM   
Admiral DadMan

If you want to play Tier VII and above without losing your shirt, you really need a premium account.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 139
RE: OT : World of Warships - 1/11/2016 7:14:02 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: cdnice

Is the NC economical to play? I hear so much about ships being too expensive to repair after playing, I assume since it is an VIII she is still alright? Haven't had issue with my Tirpitz yet.

Thanks for the tips, always trying to get the hang of that down. Will spend some time in co-op when I get it to see how best to use her.

Do you have premium? If so, you'll be alright.

Tier VII is really the last one where it's viable to play non-premium. It's unfortunate, but I suppose they figure you'll pay them $15/mo to grind their game. Even more unfortunate, they're right about a lot of folks.

(in reply to cdnice)
Post #: 140
RE: OT : World of Warships - 1/11/2016 10:36:34 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

A lot of social media games are like that. At one time there were waves of games popular on Facebook. Many of these extorted money from people by giving them a taste for free, then charging them to get better stuff once they were hooked....

The game developers were looking for obsessive compulsive personality types; there was an entertaining overview of this marketing strategy in the South Park episode titled: "Freemium Isn't Free".

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 141
RE: OT : World of Warships - 1/12/2016 6:36:23 AM   
Rising-Sun

The game is okay, but I got better things to do than grind all day to get more powerful ships. I think World of Tanks is much better than this and War Thunder is pretty good too.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 142
RE: OT : World of Warships - 1/12/2016 9:45:27 AM   
Itdepends

I prefer it to WOT- mainly because of the slower pace. Probably reflective of my WOT playstyle- arty, TD and sometimes heavies. I rarely play mediums- too fast for me

(in reply to Rising-Sun)
Post #: 143
RE: OT : World of Warships - 1/12/2016 2:05:02 PM   
Lokasenna

I'm beginning to have issues with it from a game balance and realism standpoint, but they're minor. The only glaring thing to me is that flooding damage is ridiculous (essentially, torpedo damage is modeled twice because of it). I enjoy playing a handful of games every few days.

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 144
RE: OT : World of Warships - 1/12/2016 2:58:00 PM   
JocMeister

quote:

I'm beginning to have issues with it from a game balance and realism standpoint, but they're minor. The only glaring thing to me is that flooding damage is ridiculous (essentially, torpedo damage is modeled twice because of it). I enjoy playing a handful of games every few days.

I actually switched over to WoT lately. Had 20 days of premium left and couldn´t bring myself to play WoWs. So I thought I might as well use the premium time. Not an easy game for a noob when you are facing guys that have played thousands of games and you have played...25.

I´ll probably be back to WoWs in a year or so when they sorted out some of the issues and added more nations and maps.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 145
RE: OT : World of Warships - 1/12/2016 3:20:52 PM   
Denniss

quote:

Yep, I recently lost a Kongo due to a bow torpedo hit and no repair crew available for some time. 13k hit points lost from this. Fire damage is unbalanced too - too easy to ignite Battleships and too much damage caused by it (likely a percentage of max hit points)

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 146
RE: OT : World of Warships - 1/12/2016 3:35:43 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

how long, how many minutes does a typical battle take?

I had some short term fun with WOT.. but got boring after a few weeks

never tried WOW...

(in reply to Denniss)
Post #: 147
RE: OT : World of Warships - 1/12/2016 3:55:33 PM   
Mundy

Usually up to about 10 minutes.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 148
RE: OT : World of Warships - 1/12/2016 5:40:43 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

how long, how many minutes does a typical battle take?

I had some short term fun with WOT.. but got boring after a few weeks

never tried WOW...

There is a maximum game time of 20 minutes, plus a nominal loading time on the front end of course. Most games are over in about 15 minutes at most. If you die early, you can "exit to port" and play with another ship, or just exit the game entirely if you're done.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Denniss

quote:

Yep, I recently lost a Kongo due to a bow torpedo hit and no repair crew available for some time. 13k hit points lost from this. Fire damage is unbalanced too - too easy to ignite Battleships and too much damage caused by it (likely a percentage of max hit points)

quote:

Yep, I recently lost a Kongo due to a bow torpedo hit and no repair crew available for some time. 13k hit points lo

While the damage you cite isn't super high, my trouble with them is that torpedoes deal a range of damage already (which is fine), but the top-end can be about 14-15k. Most of my hits seem to deal 9-11k in my tiers (my DDs are both tier 7). But then.... it has a decent chance (50% or higher) to cause Flooding, which deals damage over time and can amount to 20k or more. The only way to get rid of this is the damage control party consumable, which on a battleship can have a 90-second cooldown.

The other day, I took 2 torpedoes on the nose at separate points during the battle. I didn't get flooding from the first one, but it still hit me literally on the prow (I almost slowed/turned enough to avoid it) and did 10K damage, out of my total of 57K (in the Fuso). I mean, torpedoes have a lot of TNT and the shock of the explosion could cause problems. That's fine. Sucks, but I could see that happening. IRL, a piece of the bow might've been missing which would've affected speed and all that. In the game, it's just hit points and the speed isn't affected at all.

But then later, I took another one in exactly the same fashion in exactly the same spot. My DCP was on cooldown, and it caused flooding. I didn't quite die from it, but the torpedo dealt another 10K or so damage and then the flooding on top of that did 15K or more. All put together, there's just no way that 2 torpedo hits on the very tip of the bow would cause 60% of a Fuso's "health" IRL, right? That's my problem: torpedoes can cause flooding, but already deal an absurd amount of damage that in itself already models damage being received to vital parts of the ship (i.e., compromising its watertight integrity).

Fires I don't have as much of a problem with. There are varying levels of fire damage. Small fires started by weapons from a destroyer deal less damage than fires started by HE shells from a battleship. Much less. It's somewhat random. I think they mostly got that part right, as fires are extremely dangerous to a ship in combat and just 1 fire burning, while bad for your ship, isn't overwhelming. It's when you get up to 3, or the maximum 4, fires that it gets rough. It places an emphasis on using the damage control consumable.

But yeah, the double torpedo damage is stupid to me. They also don't model hit locations very well with the torpedoes. We all know that sometimes a torpedo detonation will deal minimal damage to a ship - it might blow up and flood some crew quarters, for example, and cause some minor speed/maneuverability problems (this is for a "low end" torpedo hit....such as the ones I complained about earlier). While that sucks for the crew, it doesn't effect the ship's combat capability in any immediate way.

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 149
RE: OT : World of Warships - 1/26/2016 3:02:25 AM   
Admiral DadMan

And then there are dirty kill-stealing scrub-lords like me:

World of Warships: DD Isokaze Kraken Gameplay

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT : World of Warships Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI