Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

100% "No Retreat" Level

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> 100% "No Retreat" Level Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
100% "No Retreat" Level - 1/28/2016 6:37:53 PM   
Tweedledumb

I've been experimenting with the retreat level settings for both the Germans and Soviets in recent PBEM games.

For the Germans, I've used it on the divisions which are in key spots either defending a key supply choke point or for panzer spearheads where I don't want the point units cut off.

I noticed that some of my German units set to 100% casualties before retreat tend to surrender a lot! I know combat is a complex mix of integrity, morale, experience, etc... but I was wondering if someone could explain just what happens to a unit set to "No retreat" during combat. They clearly don't fight to the last man - they surrender (apparently) . Is this because they are cut off? Or is that what they do when they Panic with a 100% no retreat setting? Inquiring minds want to know...

Second question. Why not set the ENTIRE Soviet Red Army, every division, to "No Retreat" as soon as you can? You simply go to STAVKA and set Retreat to 100% - done. I noticed that the most recent Beta patch now disallows this on Turn 1. Most Frontier Armies are going to be encircled and die anyways so why not set your retreat level to 100% casualties ASAP.

Great game - just want to understand some of the (many) nuances!
Post #: 1
RE: 100% "No Retreat" Level - 1/28/2016 7:17:08 PM   
Flaviusx

Setting the Soviets to 100% retreat priority everywhere is not sustainable over the long run. You will burn out the Red Army this way. There may also be tactical situations where you actively prefer to retreat with lower losses in good order and have the ground to give up. Especially if the enemy has no mobile divisions in the area and is advancing with infantry only.

That being said...if I'm well dug in somewhere and in adverse terrain, I will always jack up loss priority to 100% and make the German pay a stiff price in both time and losses for the place. Never give up such a position for cheap.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Tweedledumb)
Post #: 2
RE: 100% "No Retreat" Level - 1/28/2016 9:11:04 PM   
Vic

Surrendering should only happen on either very low morale and readiness (say <25) of remaining troops or when there is no avenue of retreat once the unit has panicked.

For the Soviet side its reckless indeed as morale is often 60 or lower. Meaning the units set to retreat 100% will very often panic once they pass 60% losses+retreats.

Furthermore 1.03 has been equiped with a revised (technically extra) rule impacting exactly these strategies for the German side. Even at morale 100 these units at 100% retreat will have a small chance of panicking once base morale is exceeded in losses+retreats.

Oh.. and panicking aint the best way to retreat. It keeps the unit open to enemy fire in the few combat rounds it takes to retreat as well as hitting them with extra readiness and morale penalty and making them suffer double the chance to break on the break test.

Best wishes,
Vic

< Message edited by Vic -- 1/28/2016 10:14:56 PM >

Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 3
RE: 100% "No Retreat" Level - 1/28/2016 11:41:05 PM   
Tweedledumb

Thanks for the info, Vic.

There's a lot going on "under the hood" in this game and appreciate the insights.

Thanks for a brilliant, ever improving, game!

(in reply to Vic)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa >> 100% "No Retreat" Level Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI