Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 9/25/2015 4:10:56 PM   
Riitaoja

quote:

ORIGINAL: sami heimola

Alby, yes I know but if I would like to listening music (mp3 files for example) during game, SPWAW sounds will "cover" music quite effective way because loss of any volume knob... And I like to hear both at same time (but SPWAW's sounds bit lower if any way possible in background).

In Windows 7 you can adjust the volume of any program that is running individualy from the speaker icon in the task bar (Volume Mixer).
EDIT Disregard this sentence: However from doing a quick Google search it would appear that Microsoft decided to remove this feature from Windows 10.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Riitaoja -- 9/26/2015 8:31:09 PM >

(in reply to sami heimola)
Post #: 61
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 9/25/2015 6:02:19 PM   
Alby

I have some little speaker thingy on my task bar, that when I click on it, brings up a menu with all kinds of adjustments now
WIN 10

(in reply to Riitaoja)
Post #: 62
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 9/25/2015 6:41:33 PM   
sami heimola

Problem is that if I set Win 10's speaker volume lower, Winamp (mp3) goes lower too. But game's sound level is still high and boom/tank movement sounds (for example) will cover Winamp background music (mp3). At least IMHO. I just tested (Winamp had highest volume, Win 10's speaker volume set into 50%). Anyway, I can live with this but seems to be quite difficult set both sounds to be "equal" without volume knob in game...

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 63
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 9/25/2015 8:01:09 PM   
Riitaoja

Try this:
Launch SPWAW and then alt+tab to get back to windows desktop. Now right click on the speaker icon and select volume mixer. There should be a volume slider for Steel Panthers World at War there. When you lower the volume on the Steel Panthers World at War slider it lowers the sound volume of only the game keeping your mp3, etc at normal volume levels.

(in reply to sami heimola)
Post #: 64
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 9/26/2015 7:56:05 AM   
sami heimola

Hmm I launched SPWAW and pressed alt+tab. When I used right button on speaker icon, I got only these "laite", "sovellukset", "mozilla" and Winamp song title. No SPWAW at all...

edit:Hey I found SPWAW there too... It was just bit in "hiding place". Ok now everything is all right!
Case closed.

< Message edited by sami heimola -- 9/26/2015 9:00:56 AM >

(in reply to Riitaoja)
Post #: 65
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 9/26/2015 6:13:17 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Riitaoja

Try this:
Launch SPWAW and then alt+tab to get back to windows desktop. Now right click on the speaker icon and select volume mixer. There should be a volume slider for Steel Panthers World at War there. When you lower the volume on the Steel Panthers World at War slider it lowers the sound volume of only the game keeping your mp3, etc at normal volume levels.

Did someone just say that won't work on Windows 10?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Riitaoja)
Post #: 66
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 9/26/2015 6:54:09 PM   
Alby

If I alt/Tab out of spwaw on win 10, I cant get back to the game, or anything really
have to restart PC

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 67
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 9/26/2015 7:28:48 PM   
Riitaoja

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Riitaoja

Try this:

Did someone just say that won't work on Windows 10?

It was a misunderstanding on my part. I am still running Windows 7 and I used Google to see how the volume mixer works in Windows 10. (edited post # 61)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

If I alt/Tab out of spwaw on win 10, I cant get back to the game, or anything really
have to restart PC

I don't think that is normal. Are you using the Windows 7 color fix by NCrawler by any chance? That fix kills explorer.exe and would break alt+tabing. It is not needed on Windows 10.

If you are starting the game from a CMD file open it with Notepad and make sure there is no line like this in it:
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe

< Message edited by Riitaoja -- 9/26/2015 8:41:44 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 68
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 9/27/2015 4:52:47 AM   
Alby

NO sir I launch the game from the standard Mech.exe
But I need to clarify
I can alt/tab the game down to the task bar, but when I bring it back up, its just black screen and I can do nothing

< Message edited by Alby -- 9/27/2015 5:57:35 AM >

(in reply to Riitaoja)
Post #: 69
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 9/27/2015 8:33:42 AM   
sami heimola

For those who had same problem: If you open speaker menu by right click, you must "browse" menu into right direction to find SPWAW (at least in my Win 10 case). Otherwise you don't see it at all though it's there;)... Naturally SPWAW must be launched before checking speaker menu.

< Message edited by sami heimola -- 9/27/2015 9:58:27 AM >

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 70
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 9/27/2015 10:46:55 AM   
Riitaoja

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

NO sir I launch the game from the standard Mech.exe
But I need to clarify
I can alt/tab the game down to the task bar, but when I bring it back up, its just black screen and I can do nothing

Hmmm... Might be some sort of DirectX issue then. Running the game through the DxWnd program could help.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 71
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 9/27/2015 4:07:40 PM   
Alby

Ill give it a shot

(in reply to Riitaoja)
Post #: 72
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 10/2/2015 5:53:56 PM   
surfcandy

Based on the popularity of this game I would say it would be a big seller. I think it only needs upgraded graphics to match current monitors and video cards.Keep the game as is and show better battle effects and unit detail like soldier units, tanks, explosions,even hits on AFVs.

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 73
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 12/12/2015 10:16:45 AM   
DrkCon

I sure would love a remake. Most everyone else already listed features or key concepts I'd like to see, so, instead I'll just pile on with a hearty "Me too!"

And thanks!

(in reply to surfcandy)
Post #: 74
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 12/21/2015 8:21:20 PM   
fmonster

Man, it has been a LONG time since I stuck my head in here, and what do I find? A possible upgrade to SP:WaW? Wow! Now I haven't fired up SP in a couple of years so it hasn't been on my mind, but seeing this made me fire up the old girl again. INSTANTLY, the game drew me in like it always did. By far and away my favorite war game, bar none!

I would add, from just playing a couple of hours, that I would love a makeover but leave the "innards" as close as they are now. Graphics and modern computer resolutions as well as OS compatibility is the most that I can say. If it comes close to what we have, it will be an insta-buy,... no matter what the cost!!

Matrix Games Owned

- American Civil War
- Forge Of Freedom
- John Tiller's Campaign Series
- TOAW III
- War In The Pacific
- War In The Pacific AE
- War Plan Orange
- SP:WaW
- Brother Against Brother
- Carriers at War

(in reply to DrkCon)
Post #: 75
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 12/26/2015 9:09:39 AM   
Nihon Rikugun

I'm still around too! Count me in as being FIRED UP for a new shiny spwaw! Got my buddies all fired up too, being old ASL guys.

And don't forget, You die, maline!

(in reply to Riitaoja)
Post #: 76
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 1/3/2016 10:35:54 PM   
JEB Davis

quote:

ORIGINAL: fmonster
... I would add, from just playing a couple of hours, that I would love a makeover but leave the "innards" as close as they are now. ...

+1

Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/

(in reply to fmonster)
Post #: 77
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 1/23/2016 1:53:45 AM   
Major_Mess

Just a few more thoughts.

How about expanding the time frame to just prior to the introduction of TOW missiles, let's say a range from 1930 to 1959 or so.
Introduce a few new Nations in to the game. The Viet Minh/NVA, South Vietnam, S/Korea and the Norks come to mind, Israel-Egypt-Syria-the rest of that Arab mob, Generic "Freedom Fighters" and bundle up some Regional Players (like, let's say Pathet Lao, Khymer Rouge et al ) in seperate OOB's or something. I dunno.

What do you think? Sherman's and PZIV's were still rockin' into the sixties.

That's all I got for right now.

Major Mess

Click below. You know you want to!!

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 78
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 1/23/2016 4:43:49 AM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Major Mess

What do you think? Sherman's and PZIV's were still rockin' into the sixties.

Don't forget T-34

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 79
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 1/23/2016 5:52:26 PM   
Major_Mess

quote:

Don't forget T-34

Oh I did, and I shouldn't have.
There was all sorts of Sov machinery that lasted ........ and StuG's too!!

MM

Click below. You know you want to!!

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 80
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 1/27/2016 8:15:18 AM   
troopie

I agree with updating to a more modern OS, and increasing the number of OOB slots and all of the rest. I would also like to see the modern weapons code retained, (SAMS, ATGMs, AARs, Guided bombs and so on.) Also I would like to see Brazil, South Africa, Thailand and Manchukuo added to get all the combatants in WW2.

troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Major_Mess)
Post #: 81
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 1/28/2016 8:08:09 AM   
troopie

Also, there needs to be more than one purchase page for each formation group. Now, on many orbats there are so many formations that some are pushed off the page, and can't be read.

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to troopie)
Post #: 82
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 1/30/2016 2:30:11 PM   
Kuokkanen

I'd like equipment have reliability ratings. In campaigns it would be hilarious to have message at beginning of a scenario: "Following equipment broke down along the way and aren't available for the scenario: Panther A, Panther A, Panther A..."

Opinions?

MekWars

(in reply to Riitaoja)
Post #: 83
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 1/31/2016 1:37:12 PM   
JEB Davis

quote:

I'd like equipment have reliability ratings. In campaigns it would be hilarious to have message at beginning of a scenario: "Following equipment broke down along the way and aren't available for the scenario: Panther A, Panther A, Panther A..."

Opinions?

Yes, moving breakdown frequency from the exe to the OOBs would be very good. Also, weapon malfunctions should be repairable during play, just as immobility is.

Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 84
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 2/2/2016 8:26:24 PM   
mudy

1. General prestige. Winning not only give points for a nation, but increase a general prestige.

2. Better support for multiple theater, each theater consist of left army, center army, and right army.
Each army has three division that could face a battle at the same period of time (army resource should be distributed between division).

3. The battle in a sector between opposing division, each has 3 brigade commander (left, center, and right brigade) which is the current SPWAW commander. A sector has 3 battle map (or better, 9 map), the center is where the force meet, and rear map behind each player. When loose a battle with force intact, a new battle will start on the rear map of the loosing side. Player could emulate an arranged withdrawal under fire as Rommel, Zhukov, and Manstein tried to do, while the side with advantage has to try to eliminate enemy force. Multiplayer 3 vs 3.

4. The battle map should be large enough, with escape hex that could be blocked. Having all escape hex blocked by enemy will increase suppression for regular troops.

5. Option for:
a. Objective based movement per company (line movement), per platoon, per section.
b. Auto shooting, where all units will shoot its weapons: weapons free, or shoot only when attacked.
c. Artillery in support for a unit will provide fire support automatically, with options: fire in front of unit (for advancing), fire to protect retreat, and request fire support to attacking enemy.

6. Artillery menu, without bugs, for win10 and Core i7, or simply release the source code :-D

(in reply to JEB Davis)
Post #: 85
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 2/2/2016 10:15:25 PM   
mudy

7. Option to purchase fighter to intercept bomber or to protect bomber and intercept enemy fighter. Player can choose to spend resource for air superiority.

8. Better mine/obstacle rule: Build point decided on theater / sector basis, related to how long before fighter, and place where the battle happen. Deep in enemy territory without sufficient time, less build point to lay mine and obstacle.

9. Officers management, to promote / demote officers.
Officers luck, defensive skill, offensive skill, etc, can be increased when an officer successfully perform combat operation. Probability calculation involving this factor.
Player can choose officer from officer's pool.

10. Civilian
There are civilian around cities and villages. Killing civilian will increase officers dread.

(in reply to mudy)
Post #: 86
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 2/3/2016 3:17:42 AM   
Matt R

Except for #5, you would have something entirely different from Steel Panthers

However, I would like to see your suggestions in #9 expounded upon. I'd enjoy the option to have a more in-depth command structure, with just a taste of an RPG aspect.

"An army without a leader.. is like a foot without a big toe..."

Bill Murray
'Stripes'

(in reply to mudy)
Post #: 87
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 2/3/2016 11:13:29 AM   
mudy

Number 5 will make easier for player to fight a large battle (entire division, but can manage single section). Not as fully AI movement, just simple automated movement that pre-arranged and can be override by manual control or by enemy fire.
The "set waypoint" for company level will move all unit in line movement, taking the shortest path by lining up entire formation on the road.
For platoon and company level the set waypoint will move all units in its column combat formation. Its a simple way point.

The auto shooting allow player to concentrate on some units while let other units perform regular attacks, that is shooting to its nearest/preferred enemy unit.

Same concept with auto artillery. Just to reduce micromanagement at certain phase of the battle. No need to use smart AI.

(in reply to Matt R)
Post #: 88
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 2/3/2016 11:33:46 AM   
mudy

Number 9, Officers modifier

The simplest way is to create a "luck factor" as slight advantage for entire unit. The luck factor gives 0 - 10% increase in probability for entire chain. You could add "defensive" and "offensive" skill as modifier.

The more complicated way is to create officers ability based on real live virtue
Ability to defend and reduce suppression
Ability to lead an attack, avoid getting killed, and inspire the troops
- Lead from the ground (infantry)
- Lead from armored
Ability to perform large caliber firing, from tank gun to artillery

Could be given in form of medals.

It could be a simple list that player might look at, or complex list that made it difficult to arrange by the player.

At the end of each battle there should be a promotion that increase each officer traits according to his role. A lost battle could result in good trait for many officer who fought well.

(in reply to mudy)
Post #: 89
RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? - 2/3/2016 3:52:51 PM   
Matt R

quote:

ORIGINAL: mudy
Number 5 will make easier for player to fight a large battle (entire division, but can manage single section)

Bruh.. unless I'm misunderstanding you, Panzer Corps is the best place for this sort of thing.

"An army without a leader.. is like a foot without a big toe..."

Bill Murray
'Stripes'

(in reply to mudy)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> RE: What would you like to see in a new Steel Panthers? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI