Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitE 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: WitE 2 Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitE 2 - 2/12/2016 11:08:38 AM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

No its simple math and we have seen the disaster of german players attacking from 42 on when pockets are not possible.

You can last 4-6 months longer doing nothing but RR set-up this has been proven yrs ago

Old news
Have we? And of course it's impossible to launch a major attack through the Ardennes. ;) Truth is history is littered with people of limited vision being bested by others who think outside the box.

As someone who cultivates their image of "best" Axis WitE player, you will be humbled to learn, actually be reminded, that I have no problem forming pockets in 42-43. I can't say for 44 as no Russian opponent has lasted that long though I think Smokey will. A rough count of eliminated units in our current game from T100-110 is 60-70.

< Message edited by Mehring -- 2/12/2016 12:11:06 PM >

“Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man.”
-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 331
RE: WitE 2 - 2/12/2016 4:17:11 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Pelton,

Along the line of things that we've all had plenty of information on to address over the past five years is the use of personal insults on the forum to try to get your way. You've long since been told that is unacceptable according to the forum rules and you've seen enough both on the outside and inside to know that it doesn't work or help. Passion, enthusiasm, persistence, criticism even to the point of being a pain is fine, insults are not. Given the number of warnings on this you've had in the past, we're back to an enforced cooling off period. You've got a two week vacation from the forum, please e-mail me when you feel you are ready to resume the discussion while keeping things civil.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 2/12/2016 5:27:20 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 332
RE: WitE 2 - 2/12/2016 7:00:28 PM   
Great_Ajax

One thing I have been advocating is strategic reserve holding boxes. Once you place a unit off-map into one of these boxes, I would like to see the unit drop outdated equipment and have priority for current OB requirements. This should encourage the player to pull units voluntary off the front and ship them back west for a refit.

Trey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

We are currently reworking production to centre on chassis production from which variants will then build. This has distinct advantages in the setting of historical production. Within a fixed chassis production should we allow players the ability to change variant numbers?

If it goes hand in hand with the ability to choose ground unit equipment from a list of historically available/ToO&E compatible elements as per current air units, that would be a great step forward.

While on the subject of ToOE. Are late upgrading units ever going to jump over obsolete ToOEs straight to the latest in stead of plodding through the obsolete upgrade to get to the latest? Can't see any historical basis for this outside of Stalinist/Menshevik "two-stage theory" which isn't even relevant.

"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 333
RE: WitE 2 - 2/12/2016 9:24:45 PM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: el hefe

One thing I have been advocating is strategic reserve holding boxes. Once you place a unit off-map into one of these boxes, I would like to see the unit drop outdated equipment and have priority for current OB requirements. This should encourage the player to pull units voluntary off the front and ship them back west for a refit.

Trey

quote:

quote:

We are currently reworking production to centre on chassis production from which variants will then build. This has distinct advantages in the setting of historical production. Within a fixed chassis production should we allow players the ability to change variant numbers?

If it goes hand in hand with the ability to choose ground unit equipment from a list of historically available/ToO&E compatible elements as per current air units, that would be a great step forward.

While on the subject of ToOE. Are late upgrading units ever going to jump over obsolete ToOEs straight to the latest in stead of plodding through the obsolete upgrade to get to the latest? Can't see any historical basis for this outside of Stalinist/Menshevik "two-stage theory" which isn't even relevant.

I like what you're driving at but can't help feeling that holding boxes are a relic of board games. To get the reserve question and any benefits right I think you have to look at why units were withdrawn and I'm not entirely sure of the answer. Possible reasons that occur to me are combinations of garrison duty, morale recovery, rest, training, and, as you say, reequipping, but this is largely speculation. I do know that German units in the West often received a compliment of new AFV in dribs and drabs over months, so there's a question mark in my mind as to how much benefit being in a quiet sector might give.

I would add to my post above the proviso that, to reduce player omnipotence, choosing equipment types for ground units should probably not be automatically successful. Distance from the front or a units presence in its home country or non-active area might help increase morale/experience and the chance of re-equipping success.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to Great_Ajax)
Post #: 334
RE: WitE 2 - 2/13/2016 12:21:36 AM   
Tejszd

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: No idea

Better tools for micromanagement should be among top priorities, imho. Simply shuffling support units is a pain. It would be far, far quicker an easier if there were two windows (like in the microsoft OS) and you could drag and drop

Great idea but I'm pretty sure drag and drop is a coding impossibility unfortunately.

Why would it be impossible to have a split screen or two windows to move things between?

Many applications/games do that....

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 335
RE: WitE 2 - 2/13/2016 7:22:53 PM   
Higgins001

Did Pelton really get booted for calling someone 'ignoranant' or am I missing something?
That's a pretty wimpy(if not humorous) insult to be tossed over, I think.
You know he pretty much argues with his same type. I'd cut them some slack. just saying.

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 336
RE: WitE 2 - 2/13/2016 7:58:36 PM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: Higgins001

Did Pelton really get booted for calling someone 'ignoranant' or am I missing something?
You know he pretty much argues with his same type. I'd cut them some slack. just saying.

I kind of agree with with what you say regarding ignorarant but I'd have you booted for calling me Pelton's type. Expletives to you, pal.

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to Higgins001)
Post #: 337
RE: WitE 2 - 2/13/2016 8:16:47 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Higgins001

He edited his post after the fact to make it less offensive. The ban was warranted.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Higgins001)
Post #: 338
RE: WitE 2 - 2/13/2016 8:27:04 PM   
Michael T

The fact is despite Pelton's sometimes colorful language he has done more for the current state of WITE than any other poster on this forum. This forum will be boring for the next two weeks

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 339
RE: WitE 2 - 2/13/2016 8:35:25 PM   
Michael T

Also, most of his adversaries have done absolutely nothing for the game in terms of catching bugs or exploits yet they deride his opinions while benefiting from his research. I could describe them in only the most derogatory terms myself quite happily but then I would be banned also.....

praise be to Pelton

we await your return

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 340
RE: WitE 2 - 2/13/2016 9:01:21 PM   
Mehring

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T

Also, most of his adversaries have done absolutely nothing for the game in terms of catching bugs or exploits yet they deride his opinions while benefiting from his research. I could describe them in only the most derogatory terms myself quite happily but then I would be banned also.....

praise be to Pelton

we await your return

That's a very studiously placed "most" given my contribution to the development of this game since release.

< Message edited by Mehring -- 2/13/2016 10:02:38 PM >

-Leon Trotsky

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 341
RE: WitE 2 - 2/13/2016 9:07:59 PM   
Michael T

quote:

That's a very studiously placed "most" given my contribution to the development of this game since release.

Yeah, great work.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 342
RE: WitE 2 - 2/13/2016 9:36:07 PM   
charlie0311

Another P "fanboy" here, despite having received some of his "generous" remarks.

Also support Erik, rules have no meaning unless enforced.

Welcome to Michael T, we shall enjoy many games together, oops, maybe not, I like to prepare for winter as axis player, and, to save my army as Red (summer 41).

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 343
RE: WitE 2 - 2/13/2016 9:47:42 PM   
Michael T

quote:

Welcome to Michael T, we shall enjoy many games together, oops, maybe not, I like to prepare for winter as axis player, and, to save my army as Red (summer 41)

Thanks for the welcome. And you are absolutely correct, it would be a boring game for both of us.

(in reply to charlie0311)
Post #: 344
RE: WitE 2 - 2/13/2016 10:03:29 PM   
No idea

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: el hefe

Trey

quote:

quote:

I like what you're driving at but can't help feeling that holding boxes are a relic of board games. To get the reserve question and any benefits right I think you have to look at why units were withdrawn and I'm not entirely sure of the answer. Possible reasons that occur to me are combinations of garrison duty, morale recovery, rest, training, and, as you say, reequipping, but this is largely speculation. I do know that German units in the West often received a compliment of new AFV in dribs and drabs over months, so there's a question mark in my mind as to how much benefit being in a quiet sector might give.

I would add to my post above the proviso that, to reduce player omnipotence, choosing equipment types for ground units should probably not be automatically successful. Distance from the front or a units presence in its home country or non-active area might help increase morale/experience and the chance of re-equipping success.

Your speculation is correct.

The current system makes leaving your divisions in the line or next to it a non issue, while irl most divisions were rotated in and out. A division that is left holding the line for long periods of time should see its experience reduced, perhaps its morale also, as veterans are killed and replaced with green troops and the veterans that are left reach their breaking point. Basically, the pointwhen they become less combat effective. According to the usa doctrine a men reaches his best combat efficiency after 90 days of combat. More than 120, it starts a slow decline. After 180 his combat efficiency is seriously reduced. So far i havent see that happening in the game, but perhaps i have been not paying enough attention to that.

(in reply to Mehring)
Post #: 345
RE: WitE 2 - 2/14/2016 10:02:47 AM   
swkuh

@No Idea: interesting observation, but wonder what was Soviet/German experience or, for that matter, Axis allies.

Implementing this (using relevant factors) would be interesting, although believe its micro-eye candy more than vital factor. Always consider that "camouflage" is not modelled (IMHO correctly so), although visuals would be interesting.

(in reply to No idea)
Post #: 346
RE: WitE 2 - 2/14/2016 4:27:08 PM   
chaos45

Keep in mind the line at this scale.....the German divisions had 3 regiments for a reason---2 up front 1 in reserve even in defensive operations they tried to keep with this pattern or keep a reserve element of several battalions to rotate units off the line. Something you dont see at this scale of play.

One of the German commanders big complaints was that as the war went on and they were forced to hold more and more ground with less troops they lost this reserve/rotational force. Esp in Late war when German ToE went officially down to just 2 infantry regiments....another reason for the decline in the late war of the fighting ability of a german infantry division.

At this scale rotating divisions off the line shouldnt be required IMO....its to much of a pain in the butt in a game that is already very detail intensive to play.....as the player you know when a unit is beat up it needs pulled off or put in a quiet sector for a week to rebuild/refit. If the unit is already in a quiet sector they are most likely within their area of operations rotating troops around---thats the divisional commanders job not my job commanding the entire theater of war lol.

(in reply to swkuh)
Post #: 347
RE: WitE 2 - 2/14/2016 5:14:25 PM   
charlie0311

Hi,

Back in the day, there was a patch that required the players to rotate units to get the front near full strength. The howls of micromanagement "hell" put a quick end to it.

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 348
RE: WitE 2 - 2/14/2016 5:46:17 PM   
morvael

Also there was a snowballing effect due to IGOYOUGO mechanics when one side was weaker and withdrawing, allowing full recovery for the stronger, advancing side, while it was't allowed to rest (as enemy moved back to contact on his turn and logistics happens after enemy move).

Post #: 349
RE: WitE 2 - 2/18/2016 3:57:03 PM   
SeriousCatNZ

One thing I'd absolutely demand from WitE 2 is that they use the map style from WitE, and not the hideous style in WitW.

(in reply to HMSWarspite)
Post #: 350
RE: WitE 2 - 2/18/2016 6:19:41 PM   
uw06670

@SeriousCat

Hey, are you Loki's cat?

(in reply to SeriousCatNZ)
Post #: 351
RE: WitE 2 - 2/18/2016 6:40:55 PM   
RedLancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeriousCat

One thing I'd absolutely demand from WitE 2 is that they use the map style from WitE, and not the hideous style in WitW.

....ummm how can I break this to you gently? Oh yes the new map is more accurate, very moddable and has coded double rail lines and regions

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to SeriousCatNZ)
Post #: 352
RE: WitE 2 - 2/19/2016 2:06:52 AM   
BigDuke66

If we ever get to WitE 2 basic things should go in first and here I think replay is the most basic thing for a strategy game that is missing through the series.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 353
RE: WitE 2 - 2/21/2016 6:30:03 PM   
malyhin1517

In WITE uses a table changes the morality of Nations. Perhaps it would be interesting to do a change of morality depending on the course of fighting at the front. For example, if successful, the battles of national morality is growing, and if unsuccessful fall! And another question: if in WITE 2 support for Russian language in the game and Cyrillic in the names of units, cities, commanders, briefings to the scenarios?

Sorry, i use an online translator :(

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 354
RE: WitE 2 - 2/22/2016 11:18:10 AM   
swkuh

Introducing changes to game code or data based upon progress of opponents is interesting, but would require significant research and careful analysis. Good luck.

Game code already uses balance factors, morale tables, supply/transportation/logistics calculations, and maybe much more. How to change these over time and outcomes would be difficult. There were those who "gave up" and those who became more fanatical at many levels of participation.

(in reply to malyhin1517)
Post #: 355
RE: WitE 2 - 2/22/2016 12:11:33 PM   
RedLancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

If we ever get to WitE 2 basic things should go in first and here I think replay is the most basic thing for a strategy game that is missing through the series.

It has been discussed but in an IGO-UGO of this complexity it is incredibly difficult.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 356
RE: WitE 2 - 2/22/2016 12:18:57 PM   
RedLancer

quote:

ORIGINAL: malyhin1517

In WITE uses a table changes the morality of Nations. Perhaps it would be interesting to do a change of morality depending on the course of fighting at the front. For example, if successful, the battles of national morality is growing, and if unsuccessful fall!

An idea that was discussed in the WitE (not 2) Forum was linking national morale to manpower mobilisation. So as manpower levels drop you 'buy' more manpower at a cost in reduction of national morale. This abstracts the mobilisation of people in other age groups.

quote:

And another question: if in WITE 2 support for Russian language in the game and Cyrillic in the names of units, cities, commanders, briefings to the scenarios?

There is no plan to do so. The german translation for WitE was dropped for WitW and I expect cyrillic presents additional challenges.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to malyhin1517)
Post #: 357
RE: WitE 2 - 2/22/2016 3:57:37 PM   
charlie0311

Red, you guys should go "all out" to support your Rus customers, that's where your sales will be.

Eric, even a slight hint of disrespect, obvious joking excluded, should get a suspension.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 358
RE: WitE 2 - 2/22/2016 4:36:44 PM   
821Bobo

quote:

ORIGINAL: charlie0311

Red, you guys should go "all out" to support your Rus customers, that's where your sales will be.

I doubt it. 100€ for a game is too expensive for average man from Russia, Belarus or Ukraine.

Post #: 359
RE: WitE 2 - 2/22/2016 6:10:32 PM   
uw06670

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

It has been discussed but in an IGO-UGO of this complexity it is incredibly difficult.

quote:

It has been discussed but in an IGO-UGO of this complexity it is incredibly difficult

If not a true "replay" then a summary that is easier to digest than clicking on each of the battle sites to see what happened. Perhaps a list of battles where units Retreated, Routed, Shattered would be useful. If there is already something like this then I haven't seen it so far.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: WitE 2 Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI