Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/2/2016 9:16:47 AM   
Peltonx

seems like you have allot of squads in pools and not in units

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 241
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/2/2016 3:50:48 PM   
sillyflower

Indeed. I dialled down the TOEs af arty units of more than 150mm to 50% because replacements are too expensive,and the inf divs of morale lower than 80 to 90%. I got the latter idea from you

still have lots of arms points too. I think Brian will have a weak winter O (for him anyway) so I'm hoping for a very strong Wehrmacht to try to win in '42. Hence I'm happy to be building a war chest for refitting in the spring

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 242
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/2/2016 4:47:39 PM   
ericv

not familiar yet with all the player names, but I meant the game saper222 vs ?. looking up the game now. Sorry, meant no disrespect. All players use the game mechanics as far as they know them. That is all I meant.

(in reply to mktours)
Post #: 243
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/2/2016 4:54:21 PM   
ericv

Again, i am sorry. This is the game I was talking about http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3185572&mpage=2&key=. Saper222, vs M 60,used some fueldrop exploit, that was introduced after a patch. He kept on going and going. Mixed up your name with his.

(in reply to mktours)
Post #: 244
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/2/2016 9:15:30 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericv

Again, i am sorry. This is the game I was talking about http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3185572&mpage=2&key=. Saper222, vs M 60,used some fueldrop exploit, that was introduced after a patch. He kept on going and going. Mixed up your name with his.

Ignore anything Sapper did as all the fuel exploits have been fixed.

1.08.00 and even 1.07 were exploit free.

< Message edited by Pelton -- 2/2/2016 10:17:55 PM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to ericv)
Post #: 245
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/9/2016 8:39:26 PM   
sillyflower

T17

As I've just done my last mud turn, I thought it time to start the dance of the 7 screenshots

Complete with my most skilled artwork to date as I'm often asked about rail heads. The FBD went to the centre a few turns ago, so I've been relying on the odds and sods battalions.

Brian obviously believes that Narva should be his ,which is good for my morale and bad for his. A pleasing amount of poor terrain gained this turn particularly in the marshes to the east of the Volkov and in the Valdai Hills. A sign of his lack of frontline strength as he's not one to give up good defensive terrain otherwise.

18th Army starts moving back to L'grad, so played little part in the offensive. If they want warm and comfy winter quarters, they have to finish the job of taking it in the snow.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 2/9/2016 9:53:36 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 246
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/9/2016 8:55:18 PM   
sillyflower

You didn't think that I was going to post all the maps tonight did you?

Brian has obviously been spending AP on modernising the Red Airforce. I think it's been the most successful part of his game, apart from his losing hundreds of bombers in fairly futile bombing raids on my recce airbases.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 2/9/2016 10:03:35 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 247
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/10/2016 8:14:42 AM   
sillyflower

south

Surprisingly, Brian was quite aggressive in the Donets bend and did retake Voroshilovograd. However, this left him far more exposed than if he'd stayed on his side if the major river. This enabled me to do some herding, netting 1 tk xx and 5 inf xx into secure pockets. That'll teach him . I will have to kill the tank xx next tun despite the mud to clear my supply lines, but the inf xx can spend the next month pondering their fate.

The Bolsheviks also got a bit uppity in the far south, coming out of the Crimea. How I long for the days when the Kerch straights did allow rail supply that way. I had to send an SS div to restore order and to prevent 2 Rum inf xx from becoming surrounded.

Otherwise trying to ensure minimum no. of divs will be isolated from 100+ MP supply chain next turn which is why I was never going to advance south this turn. I calculte that I will have 4 divs isolated next turn, but none the turn after. Manych occupied to get the AG A+B split next turn. Spoiler: I did get the split next turn despite the bug Pelton referred to.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 2/10/2016 9:38:36 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 248
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/10/2016 9:48:29 PM   
sillyflower

Moscow at last

W Moscow succumbed this time, as did a lightly-held North Moscow which only had 2 divs in IIRC. Moscow central only has 2 divs and 30th Army HQ in so will fall easily in the snow. Better to clear both cities now than to risk struggling to clear them all in the snow.

To the SE of Moscow, Hube's 47th PzK took Kolima both to take its factories, and to cut direct communications between the Moscow area and the south.The nearest Russian-held rail bridge crossing over the Oka goes via Arzames which is 260 miles from Moscow.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 2/10/2016 11:01:23 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 249
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/11/2016 7:21:13 AM   
loki100

that looks rather decisive ... very impressed

Post #: 250
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/11/2016 8:29:42 AM   
Peltonx

That will get you close to 260 VP's

Don't think we see Brian doing non random weather again - night and day - Big difference without those 2-3 mud turns.

Only 15 clear turns + the whatever momentum Germany had is stopped for the next and they all come early in summer turns 3-7.

Weather is the biggest game changer and he played like a moron early on which snowballed to disaster after disaster.

BrianG played like a noob, you sure that was him?

< Message edited by Pelton -- 2/11/2016 9:37:12 AM >

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 251
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/11/2016 9:46:35 AM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

BrianG played like a noob, you sure that was him?

I think so judging by his email address and his comments to me on your game. He may, of course, have an evil twin.
I think he played me either copying the way he played you, or else he (understandably) thought I wasn't much cop from the game that got to T7 before my RL got in the way. Now I'm retired, I can take much longer to do my turns so I have time to think properly and to do important stuff like sorting out SUs, stacking points, checking MPs to supply heads etc. That does make a big difference.

I'm not sure how big the weather will be with the much-anticipated .08 beta as it favours the germans quite a bit after the 1st 17 turns. It was a potential game changer when there were those early mud turns, but when they are gone............ but I prefer fixed mud when playing as Russians anyway.

web exchange

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 252
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/11/2016 9:48:25 AM   
sillyflower

dead units end my T17

the 2 axis losses are ally SUs

A further 27 inf xx, 2 tank xx, 1 mot xx and 1 cav xx are in secure pockets so effective bolshevik losses are:

31 tank xx
16 mot xx
139 inf xx
21 cav xx
6 mtn xx
(total 213 xx)

30 brigades

+ odds and sods.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 2/11/2016 11:06:04 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 253
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/11/2016 9:50:41 AM   
sillyflower

losses

If I put back the HIWIs that have come from the captive pile, soviet losses would be as near as dammit to 3M

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 2/11/2016 10:53:06 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 254
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/11/2016 9:53:55 AM   
sillyflower

Last but not least, the OOB

Discounting all the units in pockets would reduce the russian OOB to 4M or ? a fraction lower.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 2/11/2016 10:57:57 AM >

web exchange

Post #: 255
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/11/2016 11:23:54 AM   
VigaBrand

I think you will be wrong. I estimate, that he let the most of his formations not at full strength, so I didn't wonder if he had nearly half a million men in the pool and waiting for the winter battle.
I had a game with nearly 3.5 million soviet casualties and a soviet OOB with 4.3 Million.
But the destroyed industry in Moscow should give you a boost in the long run.
You had only 2.1 million Kia or captured soviets, that is in manpower terms not enough. So you should use your advantage and take some men and industry in the snow turns.

Post #: 256
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/11/2016 12:33:02 PM   
sillyflower

Thoughts on T17 and the summer

First, thanks to Vigabrand for his interesting comments.

@ V - was it T17 a game with the same version (soviet '41 manpower reinforcement rate have changed over time) and did you make the same geographic progress?

I would be very surprised if Brian held back 500K men given his decision to put everything in the front line. If he did do that through choice, it has cost him dear in the south and at Moscow. If he's got spare manpower because he's run out of arms points, he's gong to have that bottleneck for a long time. He's probably only getting 50K or arms point s per turn at this stage.

Still, a warning about not becoming over-confident is always good.

Anyway, it was a more productive T17 than I expected from all 3 AGs. Losses 13K to 46K. the worst yet but worth it. Air 78 to 216 thanks to at least 1 airbase overrun.

Factory losses now 76 arms, 40 HI and 16 vehicle. 9 more arms and 10 more vehicle factories trapped in Moscow along with loads of a/c factories. I know not everyone cares that much about vehicles, but I'm always short of them when playing Russians even without any factories being lost. Trucks are the only thing I'm ever short of from '43. An upside for Brian will be that the loss of so many a/c and vehicle factories will mean that he won't suffer from the loss of 40 HI.

Looking at the summer, i was not expecting to get all 3 of my starting objectives L'grad, Moscow and Rostov - the latter being the hardest to get because of the distance. I've also taken a lot of manpower centres, which is so important in keeping the Russian OOB down in '41 and much of '42.

All in all, I'm feeling quite happy. All I need to do now is to persuade Brian that the winter months (Dec to Feb) are going to be rather dull, so we should just cut to the quick and F12 the game through to the spring. I'm hoping that soviet losses will make for a dull blizzard - by Brian's standards anyway.

web exchange

(in reply to VigaBrand)
Post #: 257
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/11/2016 5:23:35 PM   
ericv

All the scrolling reminds of that other game.... what was it called again.

Post #: 258
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/11/2016 5:31:30 PM   
chaos45

Think Brian is going to be in for a tough 1942, as his Winter offensive should be abit stunted by the losses and esp the loss of Moscow.

(in reply to ericv)
Post #: 259
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/11/2016 8:40:15 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericv

All the scrolling reminds of that other game.... what was it called again.

Love it - and that game too

web exchange

(in reply to ericv)
Post #: 260
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/11/2016 11:10:12 PM   
Wuffer

Must be a trap, it looks much too easy.
Honestly, you caught him out of balance since that superb opening again and again every turn in a very downward spiral of doom.
In the end he failed to achieve (or better said rescue) anything of worth; his army is trashed (alone 7 dead Cav-XXX), his economy is very seriously ruined and he has lost nearly all valueable geographic strongholds and you have still four clear turns left to push his troopers far far away into the steppe together with an improved C&C.

He made some mistakes of course, but in the end this won't last long if you didn't commit some significant blunders... so, just relax and keep smiling. :-)

Btw, post # 253 suggests a total of 15 Guards RDs, including the losses. If there's any reserve army left in the shadows, it would properly contain at least some of them.

Post #: 261
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/12/2016 3:35:50 AM   
Peltonx

play on

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Wuffer)
Post #: 262
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/12/2016 9:08:41 AM   
Powloon

Great AAR Sillyflower! As well as being a great read I have learnt so much. Appreciate the effort you've made to explain the "why" of what you do.

One request if I may would it be possible to show a screenshot(s) of your various fronts with the rail map displayed?

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 263
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/12/2016 10:48:32 AM   
sillyflower

Thanks Powloon. I will try to remember, but need the turn back first. Brian is taking longer than usual, but it's his last mud turn so he has a lot to think about.

web exchange

(in reply to Powloon)
Post #: 264
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/12/2016 7:51:55 PM   
HITMAN202

Is that bloke on the computer THE Sillyflower? Do you have 2 brothers (triplets) ??? We need to be informed. The chap does have a distinguished visage.

Your outstanding play in this AAR is creating (IMO) a rather large, fawning fan club. Too many nice things are being said about you. It hasn't, however, been too much for I am not yet nauseated.

WITE is a good addiction with no cure.

Post #: 265
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/12/2016 8:22:44 PM   
sillyflower

Nothing like me, or any of my 3 sisters, and if you look carefully at the 3 pictures, you will see it's just 1 repeated x3.

If you want to know roughly what I look like and to understand my character, see Dan Ackroyd's portrayal of me in 'Trading Places'. At least up to the point that he goes all wet.

web exchange

(in reply to HITMAN202)
Post #: 266
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/12/2016 8:59:28 PM   
sillyflower

A confession after having just read Michael T's thread about the recce airbase fuel exploit.

I think I may have done itinadvertently because I did send many of my recce a/c back into reserve. I don't do that much recce when attacking, as can be seen in some screenshots, so it's something I tend to do anyway to save trucks. I also moved more into reserve after Brian started bombing those bases, just keeping enough for my needs on the map. I have no idea how close the recce bases were to their army HQ at the time.

I have not, however, moved any recce planes between bases nor have I yet put any back on the board tho' I was planning to next turn to keep tabs on Russian concentrations for his blizzard O. I shall try to remember to put the reinforcements into inf army bases only, or else take care when putting them back in reserve from Pz armies to avoid triggering the exploit.

Edit: I've sent a copy of this post to Brian G as he does not have access to this AAR

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 2/12/2016 10:05:20 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 267
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/12/2016 9:14:34 PM   
RKhan

A superb game. I think you embodied the true German principle of blitzkrieg - getting inside his operational timeline so that every counter move comes too late.

Post #: 268
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/15/2016 9:39:56 AM   
ericv

Hats off to your achievement.

You played excellent, seems this game is over. All that is left is winning a 'won'position.

Although Brian did make some mistakes early on, if this can be reached against a more than decent player, the german army seems a bit overpowered. Back to HQ Build up = GHC wins button maybe.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 269
RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G - 2/15/2016 3:36:18 PM   
charlie0311

Fight forward, get slaughtered, ho-hum.

"Getting inside his operational timeline", must mean something, I'm dumb.

(in reply to ericv)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: SILLY's SWANSONG NO BRIAN G Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI