Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  150 151 [152] 153 154   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 3:23:00 PM   
Encircled

He might risk Hong Kong, hell, he might risk Singapore.

But either one he'll have put an almightly CAP up............or at least he should do

Otherwise HI

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4531
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 3:23:55 PM   
Encircled

Based on what you've seen already, I might just be worth a raid on Singapore.

He might not make the same mistake again but if he has.....

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 4532
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 3:27:37 PM   
Canoerebel

Don't you think John would be leery of a "worst case scenario" situation. IE, he upgrades at Singers, the Allies somehow manage to reclaim control at Sabang, and 4EB suddenly hit Singers even with massive CAP in place.

Ditto, perhaps to a lesser extent, with Hong Kong.

Wouldn't he prefer a place where he doesn't have to fret about worst case scenarios? If so, what place or places make the most sense? I'd think Manila, but I'm an Allied player who doesn't know squat about what a Japanese player would do in this case.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 4533
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 3:30:33 PM   
Lecivius

Singers is definitely an option for him. Sabang is suppressed. He knows it.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4534
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 3:33:09 PM   
witpqs

I don't know what he will do but with Sabang shut down a player just might opt for Singapore to cut out the transit time.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4535
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 3:34:24 PM   
Canoerebel

Speaking of which, is there any way for the Allies to regain control at Sabang? I've given this alot of thought. This is the best chance:

1. John withdraws KB on the assumption that bombardments and surrounding airfields are sufficient to keep Sabang permanently suppressed.
2. There is a slight disruption in enemy bombardments for one reason or another (Kongos need to refuel, take a loss due to a sub, whatever).
3. Allies slip carriers to a point NW of Sabang, providing umbrella support for a mix of Allied TFs including CAs, Fletchers, and perhaps a fast BB or two. Positioning is such that Netties are too distant to represent a big threat.
4. On day two, the Allies send the combat TFs sprinting to Sabang at full speed and also transfer in massive fighter support from Ceylon and Ramree Island. If this works, the Allies then have combat ships in place under cover of fighters.
5. On day two the carriers retire, thus facing only one day within Nettie range (I think that's manageable, becuase even 100 Netties would have trouble dealing with massive CAP.)

It will help to have Hellcats available before trying this. And it will require confidence that KB is far away.

All these stars may not align, but there's a chance they will. John's already left one sizeable window in his bombardment schedule that allowed the airfield to recover fully (that window has since closed again).

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/16/2016 4:35:58 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4536
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 3:40:48 PM   
Lowpe

I think a lot of the upgrades are for radar, need a size 25 repair yard and 3 weeks or so.

I don't know about John, but radar is very important for the KB to have.

Manila is probably too small but a fair number of JFBs expand the yards there. Hong Kong, Singers, Shanghai, HI.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4537
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 3:42:49 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Speaking of which, is there any way for the Allies to regain control at Sabang? I've given this alot of thought. This is the best chance:

1. John withdraws KB on the assumption that bombardments and surrounding airfields are sufficient to keep Sabang permanently suppressed.
2. There is a slight disruption in enemy bombardments for one reason or another (Kongos need to refuel, take a loss due to a sub, whatever).
3. Allies slip carriers to a point NW of Sabang, providing umbrella support for a mix of Allied TFs including CAs, Fletchers, and perhaps a fast BB or two. Positioning is such that Netties are too distant to represent a big threat.
4. On day two, the Allies send the combat TFs sprinting to Sabang at full speed and also transfer in massive fighter support from Ceylon and Ramree Island. If this works, the Allies then have combat ships in place under cover of fighters.
5. On day two the carriers retire, thus facing only one day within Nettie range (I think that's manageable, becuase even 100 Netties would have trouble dealing with massive CAP.)

It will help to have Hellcats available before trying this. And it will require confidence that KB is far away.

All these stars may not align, but there's a chance they will. John's already left one sizeable window in his bombardment schedule that allowed the airfield to recover fully (that window has since closed again).

That plan depends heavily on how fast the airfield is repaired, which is partly a function of the disruption level of the engineer units.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4538
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 3:46:25 PM   
Lowpe

Why not try to time a fast speed destroyer squadron in to hit the bombarding task forces.

When the moon is dark...in and out. Give them some lrcap from something.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4539
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 3:49:41 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius
Singers is definitely an option for him. Sabang is suppressed. He knows it.

I hope John thinks so. But Sabang's resiliency is remarkable given the number of engineers and the amount of supply available. His bombardments shut down the field for two or three days. But if he gets complacent, the Allies can get the field operational much faster than John thinks. (I think.)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4540
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 3:51:58 PM   
Encircled

I wouldn't risk Singapore, but I have risked Hong Kong.

Otherwise its back to the big yards in the HI

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4541
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 3:58:05 PM   
Lecivius

True, but you risk getting your 4E's smacked hard by a bombardment force, which I guarantee will make the Banzai be heard all the way down in Denver from La Salle

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4542
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 4:59:14 PM   
ny59giants

In most games, John tends to expand the repair shipyard at Soerabaja significantly. Do a mouse over to see what size it is. I would bet its over 30.

Not knowing where all your 18 plane Marine fighter groups are at, but I would take off a few Avenger groups and/or a few 36 plane SBD groups and place extra fighters groups on before you try to reinforce Sabang.

I will be using those long legged F4F-7 recon fighters on a few CVEs to draw John's attention to a particular area of the map. You could do the same to get him to lean in a particualr direction before you hit him from another.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4543
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 5:33:05 PM   
Canoerebel

Good tip on Soerabaja. I'll check that.

Most of the Allied air force is in India with the exception of the US West Coast I have lots of Marine fighter and bomber squadrons in India.

The US CV squadrons have been non-standard most of the game. They usually carry more fighters than standard.

The oddest thing in the game is that I somehow got a training squadron loaded aboard one of the CVs and there's no way to get it off. I can't fly it off. I can't transfer it while the ship is in port, disbanded or not. The squadron is stuck there. Fortunately, it's a big fighter squadron (48 planes) with very good pilots, so I can make good use of it. (I think it's a bug of some sort, but since it's pefectly utilitarian, I haven't messed with trying to get it resolved).

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/16/2016 6:34:43 PM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 4544
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 6:47:15 PM   
witpqs

When the TF is in port, dock the TF (create a one-ship TF for this is space forces it), then rty transferring to that base.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4545
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 6:50:57 PM   
Nomad

You should also check the HQ the unit is assigned to, it might be restricted.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4546
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 8:21:43 PM   
Canoerebel

It's permanent restricted (white letters) West Coast. So I might be able to offload it when and if my carriers return to a West Coast base. And I'm not sure how I managed to load it, but I did (possibly because the ship was attached to a West Coast HQ?).

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 4547
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 9:33:56 PM   
Canoerebel

3/28/43

Battle of Sumatra: Japan does not pummel Sumatra today; no sign of immennt enemy invasion (except at the island south of Phuket, which will fall tomorrow); more SigInt that 12th Div. is inbound to Medan, which means John is committing even more and obviously envisions his conquest taking more time; and I'm simply trying to hold on until something good happens some day somewhere. It will. Oh, I just feel certain it has to.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4548
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/16/2016 9:53:59 PM   
witpqs

quote:

It's permanent restricted (white letters) West Coast. So I might be able to offload it when and if my carriers return to a West Coast base. And I'm not sure how I managed to load it, but I did (possibly because the ship was attached to a West Coast HQ?).

Sounds like a bug. You might check the patch notes to see if something like that got fixed.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4549
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 2:20:32 PM   
obvert

Hi Dan. Good to see this game resumed and you back to writing scintillating AARs!

I'll be aiming to be around a bit more myself and hope to catch up on a few AARs, and definitely this one.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4550
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 2:43:25 PM   
Canoerebel

Obvert! So good to see you back! I'm glad you're reading, and I hope you'll be resuming a game shortly.

To see folks like you and John Dillworth return is a very encouraging development for the Forums.

Now if we can only track down Greyjoy....

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4551
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 2:47:33 PM   
obvert

quote:

Obvert! So good to see you back! I'm glad you're reading, and I hope you'll be resuming a game shortly.

To see folks like you and John Dillworth return is a very encouraging development for the Forums.

Now if we can only track down Greyjoy....

As I just noted elsewhere GJ was mourning his father's passing when I last heard form him. He had a lot going on then too at work and to settle his mother after their loss. I hope he's doing well, and it would be great to see him around again.

I've been toying with some small scenarios lately. We'll see. might take one of those on if things stay as they are now, relatively normal. New responsibilities at work combined with my two games stopping really led me to do some other things for a while, but I do love the community and great knowledge here. Hope to be a bit more regular whether playing or not.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4552
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 2:52:30 PM   
Canoerebel

3/29/43

Battle of Sumatra: Four Sisters bombard Langsa and the Kongos bombard Sabang. One unit of John's west coast army has advanced to the next hex and, tomorrow, will attack and dislodge the picket RCT. But that's the last freebie. 1st Marines and a tank unit are digging further up the road. On the east side, further indications of an imminent land campaign: There are now 12 units in Medan (up from 6 or 7) including, per SigInt, 21st Div. (not 12th Div. as I inaccurately reported earlier).

This is optimally configured from my weird point of view, being: Hey, I'm getting clobbered each turn, but as long as the enemy takes the most methodical way to do it, everything's peachy keen. Seriously, though, I still much prefer a protracted ground campaign, and I prefer that while I still have supply for my units to fight effectively.

On the east side, the Allies have 1000 AV in jungle terrain with three forts (should be going to four forts soon, I think - it's been a long time). I think John might need six divisions or more to stand a chance here.

The west side is more tenuous. The Allies will have roughly 330 AV to begin with in jungle-rough terrain. That's roughly 1000 adjusted AV. I think John is bringing four divisions. If so, that should be a fair fight. If he brings more the odds become problematic.

Japan takes the last island outpost, south of Phuket, wiping out a decent part of 18th UK Division. The rest of the division is near Sabang, rebuilding.

A KB division is way west of Sabang near map's edge. I got good reports on her at 13/77, probably from Nav Search at Diego, which is 15 hexes to the north. Reports of 158 F, 163 B, 14 Aux, 3 BB, 1 CA, 2 CVE and 1 CV. There's nothing out there at all (except one loan picket xAK). I hope John doesn't raid strong to the north. Diego, with it's level six airfield, should keep him honest, but I have some big transports TFs inbound to Ceylon from Colombo and the Allied fleet carriers are way out of position and lacking in fighters anyhow.

Life is peachy.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/18/2016 3:54:42 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4553
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 3:27:44 PM   
Canoerebel

A couple of weeks back, I tried transferring a Corsair squadron (I think it was Marine rather than Navy, but I'm not positive) to a fleet carrier since the F4Fs are so battered. There were 19 Corsairs, but when I added it to the carrier, the number of aircraft shown on the carrier jumped from like 53 to like 136! When I withdrew those 19 Corsairs a day or two later, the number of reported aircraft dropped back down to 53.

So there was something about trying to house a Marine (I think) Corsair squadron on a fleet CV that the game really didn't like. I think I've seen this discussed before - in fact, I think I've encountered this before - but had forgotten all about it.

Anybody seen this before?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4554
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 3:35:07 PM   
BillBrown

The first Corsairs you get are not CV capable. You get the first CV capable ones in October, 1943

< Message edited by BillBrown -- 2/18/2016 4:36:24 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4555
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 4:17:37 PM   
Canoerebel

I remember that from WitP days - that the first Corsair squadrons weren't carrier capable - but since this squadron was able to land on a carrier and take off from a carrier, I thought it must be carrier capable.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 4556
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 4:37:16 PM   
BillBrown

It should not be able to land, I thought you had to load it when the CV was docked at a port. You can fly them off. It is a way to deliver repaired aircraft
to a forward base. I think all single engine aircraft can be moved this way, but they will not perform any flight ops.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4557
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 5:17:46 PM   
Canoerebel

They can fly to carriers and land and they can fly from carriers to land. I've just done it recently. But I think you're correct that they don't act normally when on a carrier. That they count as something like 5x their actual size puts the carrier way over its maximum plane load.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 4558
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 5:20:00 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

They can fly to carriers and land and they can fly from carriers to land. I've just done it recently. But I think you're correct that they don't act normally when on a carrier. That they count as something like 5x their actual size puts the carrier way over its maximum plane load.

Basically correct. Maybe 100 percent correct. I don't recall how much bigger the size multiplier is.

< Message edited by Lowpe -- 2/18/2016 6:21:32 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4559
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 5:29:32 PM   
Canoerebel

3/30/43

Battle of Sumatra: On the west side, the advance IJ division boots the picket RCT. The other IJ units are lagging a few days back, so it might be five or six or seven days before they are forward enough to attack the 1st Marines hex. 1st Marines are recovering at about 268 AV after a major loss at Medan back in early January.

No bombardments today, massive LBA strikes at Langsa, and no move out of Medan. I think John will be moving a stack the next hex to the north, but it's possible he'll instead move across the island to augment the west side force. That would take a long time.

Supply at Sabang is still 202k. The Allies can fight at least another month to six weeks.

KB moved boldy north, eight hexes closer to Diego. Patrols now report 263 F, 206 B, 16 Aux on 3 CV, 3 CVL, 1 CVE, 3 BB. I've put some fighters and divebombers at Diego, but it's no more than token opposition against a force this size. Meanwhile, that big transport/supply TF is just two days from moving on map on it's Capetown to Colombo journey. Zoiks.

Battle of Burma: John is moving strongly on Lashio from three directions. The force includes 33rd Division. The Chinese have a big division here with another on the way. The rest of the defenders are pretty weak. But nothing is going to happen here that will amuont to significance even if John runs the table. There are no strategically important positions out this way.

SWPac: The two Aussie divisions left the map three or four days ago en route to Capetown and thence Oz. Two USA RCT just left the map on the way from West Coast to Canal Zone to CT to Oz. Those two should reach CT in about 30 days. They may be the last two pieces I want in place before commencing activities. 2nd Marines are most at Oz now. This was a long journey that included retrieving two regiments from Kodiak. That's an advance position and John likes to raid advance position with combat TFs and Mini-KBs, so I did sweat that particular behind-the-scenes operation.

Recon shows Lunga strongly held with 37k troops (6th Div. is there per SigInt). I'm not interested in Lunga, except that one of the two Allied plans would, if successful, isolated it and render it a prison camp. Maybe.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/18/2016 6:32:31 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4560
Page:   <<   < prev  150 151 [152] 153 154   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  150 151 [152] 153 154   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI