Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  151 152 [153] 154 155   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 6:06:21 PM   
richlove

Dan, have you been upgrading the USMC and US Army Rifle Squads to their '43 versions?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4561
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 6:16:24 PM   
Canoerebel

1st USMC has '43 infantry squads and combat engineer squads. I think the US Army units are lagging, though I haven't even checked of late since none of them are currently involved in combat.

I haven't persuaded any of my tank units to upgrade to Shermans yet. There are enough devices in the pools (at least, there were the last time I checked). Perhaps I forgot to turn off upgrade somewhere far away and totally uselss (like San Diego) and drew the pool down, but last time I looked there were roughly 80 Shermans in the pool.

(in reply to richlove)
Post #: 4562
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 7:14:17 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

KB moved boldy north, eight hexes closer to Diego. Patrols now report 263 F, 206 B, 16 Aux on 3 CV, 3 CVL, 1 CVE, 3 BB. I've put some fighters and divebombers at Diego, but it's no more than token opposition against a force this size. Meanwhile, that big transport/supply TF is just two days from moving on map on it's Capetown to Colombo journey. Zoiks.

Isn't it possible for you to change the hex the TF enters board while it's in transit? IIRC you just set a waypoint for a hex (as in over near Scoodra) and get it pop out farther from the KB. Sending it backwards might freeze it but the waypoints worked for me.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4563
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 7:38:32 PM   
Mike McCreery

quote:

They can fly to carriers and land and they can fly from carriers to land. I've just done it recently. But I think you're correct that they don't act normally when on a carrier. That they count as something like 5x their actual size puts the carrier way over its maximum plane load.

I believe it is 3x their normal size. That model of plane did not have foldable wings so even though it could land on the carrier, the space they took up on the deck and in the hold was much greater than what a normal carrier plane would be.

This is a complete assumption on my part but it sounds really good!!!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4564
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 7:53:50 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

KB moved boldy north, eight hexes closer to Diego. Patrols now report 263 F, 206 B, 16 Aux on 3 CV, 3 CVL, 1 CVE, 3 BB. I've put some fighters and divebombers at Diego, but it's no more than token opposition against a force this size. Meanwhile, that big transport/supply TF is just two days from moving on map on it's Capetown to Colombo journey. Zoiks.

Isn't it possible for you to change the hex the TF enters board while it's in transit? IIRC you just set a waypoint for a hex (as in over near Scoodra) and get it pop out farther from the KB. Sending it backwards might freeze it but the waypoints worked for me.

In my experience the destination is what determines the entry hex, not any of the waypoints. But you can just set the destination hex in the middle of the ocean as appropriate to set the entry hex you want.

The downside is that you have to then manually change the destination, or else make the real destination be 'home' port.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 4565
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 9:23:13 PM   
Canoerebel

Just back from a seven-mile "run" on Lavender Mountain on a gorgeous late-winter afternoon. As usual, my thoughts ran heavy towards the game, what's been going on, and what might be in the offing.

1. One interesting fact about the IJ division that just evicted that weak picket RCT on the west-road hex. The RCT had just 52 AV and had recently been pummeled in combat, but John's division managed only 4:1 odds. (He schock attacked but got a (-) for Op Mode). The report doesn't indicate he's hurting for supply. But I would have expected much higher odds for a fresh division against a beat up picket unit:

Ground combat at 43,75 (near Sinabang)
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 12856 troops, 124 guns, 42 vehicles, Assault Value = 372
Defending force 1651 troops, 30 guns, 45 vehicles, Assault Value = 53

Japanese adjusted assault: 340
Allied adjusted defense: 79
Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker: op mode(-), shock(+), leaders(+)

Japanese ground losses:
307 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 23 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 10 disabled

Allied ground losses:
374 casualties reported
Squads: 14 destroyed, 14 disabled
Non Combat: 14 destroyed, 13 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 7 (2 destroyed, 5 disabled)
Vehicles lost 17 (8 destroyed, 9 disabled)
Units retreated 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
10th Division

Defending units:
58th (Sep) Infantry Regiment

What occupied most of my thoughts is the KB south of Diego. What's it doing out there? I came up with three possibilities:
1. It is a probing force that was sniffing around to see if there were any TFs moving between Oz and India at map's edge.
2. John is trying to entice the Allied carriers into offering battle before the Hellcats become a factor. I don't think he knows where my carriers are. And I don't think he knows how well the F4Fs have recovered. But he can probably make decent guesses.
3. The KB is covering for an invasion of Diego Garcia. This possibility is intriguing. There I have something like 120 AV behind six forts with shoreguns and 100% prep. I think John would need a division plus strong bombardment to take this hex in a reasonable amount of time.

I am glad to know where the KB is (or this branch of it, anyhow). I'm glad it's out here rather than upgrading and off my radar screen. But I don't want to lose Diego as that will seriously complicate things for the Allies in this theater.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4566
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 9:46:42 PM   
witpqs

I don't really know how much move mode versus combat mode penalizes an attacker, but if that was not a river crossing (and he kept them moving to save a day) then it was just a plain mistake. Maybe due to his time constraints?

His division did not suffer much for the outcome, so if not for that error perhaps they would have smashed the RCT, but good.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4567
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 9:52:40 PM   
Lowpe

There is only a small penalty for being in move mode. At least according to the manual, and my personal experience.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4568
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 10:01:08 PM   
Canoerebel

Well, shoot. I was hoping the low odds portended tough times to come for the Japanese army marching up Sumatra's west coast.

I took a closer look at the US Army divisions. Americal at Sabang is upgrading to mostly '43 combat squads now. The two divisions in the jungle hex south of Langsa still have '42 units. I've changed the settings to allow 27th Div. to begin upgrading.

A closer look at Diego: It has 168 AV behind those six forts. The defenses includes a marine regiment (at 91 AV), two Marine CD units (each with eight 155mm guns) a US CD unit (also with eight 155mm guns) and an Indian CD unit with 12 six inch guns. So Diego certainly isn't a freebie. Will John come for it? On the one hand, I doubt it (and I've had no SigInt suggesting it, though John would know to avoid that like the plague); but on the other, taking it would really secure his left flank. I'd say 50/50 he's coming for it.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 4569
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 10:31:52 PM   
witpqs

Remember that device upgrades require the LCU be in a friendly base. You might have to rotate units through.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4570
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 10:32:17 PM   
witpqs

PS: That sounds like a nasty defense at DG!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4571
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/18/2016 11:07:40 PM   
JohnDillworth

1&2, not 3

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4572
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/19/2016 1:57:25 AM   
Canoerebel

Screenshot shows the location of the KB, south of Diego, and the current situation in Sumatra, where the Japanese are moving up the west coast road and may soon try to push up the east coast road.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 2/19/2016 3:01:25 AM >

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 4573
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/19/2016 4:59:33 AM   
JeffroK

Have you anything available to play with Jiii's mind, spare/useess LCU at Sabang that can move, or pretend to move to meet his attackers? Might make him think for a bit.

I also think that Move mode doesnt "cripple" the attacker, maybe a 25% effect (SWAG) Its how I blitz Malaya & the Philippines. You just have to be careful not to run into a dug in Marine Division

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4574
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/19/2016 6:11:56 AM   
JocMeister

Don´t think he will come for Diego. Atolls are bad business and I´m not sure John has the finesse to pull it off.

Although it would be fun to see him try to land 5 IDs there...

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 4575
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/19/2016 1:23:38 PM   
Lecivius

I tend to agree. He's hunting, not covering. He has to much going on near Sabang, and in Burma.

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 4576
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/19/2016 2:13:53 PM   
Canoerebel

A big question is whether John will be content to consolidate his defences, as the Sumatra campaign begins to wind down over the next month or two, or if he will get ambitious and set his sights on forwards positions (Ceylon, Diego, Perth, Fiji, Midway are probably the most likely areas if he is inspired to "go hunting.")

I hope he isn't content to concentrate on the defensive. I hope he does have ambitiions. Because that will create opportunities and/or Tar Babies (an obscure reference from Joel Chandler Harris in American folklore - somethin you grab and then can't shake loose). For that reason, I'd love to see him go for Diego.

But usually, an opponent doesn't do what you'd like them to do. :)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4577
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/19/2016 2:19:19 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

A big question is whether John will be content to consolidate his defences, as the Sumatra campaign begins to wind down over the next month or two, or if he will get ambitious and set his sights on forwards positions (Ceylon, Diego, Perth, Fiji, Midway are probably the most likely areas if he is inspired to "go hunting.")

I hope he isn't content to concentrate on the defensive. I hope he does have ambitiions. Because that will create opportunities and/or Tar Babies (an obscure reference from Joel Chandler Harris in American folklore - somethin you grab and then can't shake loose). For that reason, I'd love to see him go for Diego.

But usually, an opponent doesn't do what you'd like them to do. :)

John III doesn't just like being aggressive, he seems to need the high of smashing things. He is experienced enough to know that Japan should limit its expansion and build defences for later, but he seems to get "victory disease" and keeps attacking when the Allies have grown stronger, even dangerous.
You bloodied his nose a couple of times and he reined in for a week or two, then went back at risk-taking again.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4578
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/19/2016 2:23:28 PM   
Canoerebel

Here's hoping!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4579
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/19/2016 2:36:59 PM   
Lecivius

True, but it's coming on mid 43. He is fighting to retain. John is nothing if not aggressive, but 'He ain't stupid'.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4580
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/19/2016 3:18:55 PM   
Canoerebel

John and I played into December '44 in another game. He invaded India in 1944.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 4581
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/19/2016 3:20:56 PM   
Canoerebel

Well, that last post sounded like I was disagreeing with Lacivius, which would be an unkindness towards John. That's not what I meant. John has learned alot since that game. I have too. We'd both handle things very differently now. John is aggressive and that tendency will creep into things even late in the game, I'm sure, but he knows what he's doing.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4582
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/19/2016 3:34:17 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

Ok, maybe I stand corrected!!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4583
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/19/2016 3:35:23 PM   
Canoerebel

3/31/43

Battle of Sumatra: It may be a few more days before 10th IJA Div. reaches the 1st Marines hex. On the east side, continued build up at Medan (I think John will move on Langsa, but he could cross the island instead). Southern Army HQ is at Medan, per SigInt. Kongos bombard Sabang, tearing up the airfield (which is permanently torn up anyway). But supply is good. I opened the spigot at Sabang for a turn to get supply to the hinterlands, which succeeded. Sabang has 195k supply. The Allies can probably fight effectively here for quite some time to come.

KB: No sign of the KB today. So the wishful thinking that John might peform a Tar Baby exercies at Diego Garcia doesn't come to fruition.

Battle of Burma: It will be interesting to see how hard and long John comes for the Lashio sector. I don't think he has plans of penetrating deeply into China, nor do I think that would be profitable for him given the current state of the Chinese army. I'm going to fight for Lashio unless clearly outnumbered and facing encirclement. But I think the Chiense will fight.

Subs: The Allies had a good day, damaging an xAK near Manila, sinking an xAK near Okinawa, and possibly sinking a TK near Iba.

SoPac: John is vigorously patrolling and checking out the Ellice Islands theater. No more freebies in this area.

SWPac: Peanut 1 and Peanut 3 are off the map. Peanut 2 leaves tomorrow. Peanut 4 is still in the jungle in Assam, extricating itself slowly. Tomorrow I'll provide a complete lineup for Operation Circus since we're flipping to a new month and things that once seemed impossibly far off are no longer impossibly far off. This is the first mention of the operational name, though other details have been discussed now and then.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4584
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/19/2016 3:36:04 PM   
jwolf

quote:

Well the real Japanese did the same in early '45 didn't they? Who says the game isn't historical?

Edit: Wrong year, sorry, it was '44 after all, a perfect match.

< Message edited by jwolf -- 2/19/2016 4:40:36 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4585
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/19/2016 3:40:09 PM   
Canoerebel

True, but this was a big amphibious operation! John invaded at Trivandrum and a couple of other ports. By then, though, the Allies were already holding Sikhalin Island, Iwo Jima and Tori Shima, and part of Sumatra. I didn't care what was happening in India. At the time, I described it as marbles rolling around in an empty bucket, making alot of noise but doing no harm. (But PBY Liberators on NavSearch missions did bomb his invading fleet with remarkable accuracy, leading to much weeping an gnashing of teeth.)

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 4586
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/19/2016 4:26:01 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

True, but this was a big amphibious operation! John invaded at Trivandrum and a couple of other ports. By then, though, the Allies were already holding Sikhalin Island, Iwo Jima and Tori Shima, and part of Sumatra. I didn't care what was happening in India. At the time, I described it as marbles rolling around in an empty bucket, making alot of noise but doing no harm. (But PBY Liberators on NavSearch missions did bomb his invading fleet with remarkable accuracy, leading to much weeping an gnashing of teeth.)

I remember reading his side then and he was measuring fuel in empty Clorox bottles.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4587
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/19/2016 4:33:06 PM   
ny59giants

John's India Invasion - I was just getting to know John in this epic game vs Dan was happening back in the old WITP days. I was learning on the fly how to use Tracker from Damon and rescue John's economy from crashing in mid-43. By the time it got to '44, I knew him well enough to try to get him to cancel this invasion, but he felt like doing so just for fun. If I remember right, Dan had enough forces still in India to deal with what John sent there.

John's typical react is to attack regardless of what side he is playing. He may feel that plans are far enough along in northern Sumatra that he can send warships off to look for something to sink.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4588
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/19/2016 9:12:26 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

John's India Invasion - I was just getting to know John in this epic game vs Dan was happening back in the old WITP days. I was learning on the fly how to use Tracker from Damon and rescue John's economy from crashing in mid-43. By the time it got to '44, I knew him well enough to try to get him to cancel this invasion, but he felt like doing so just for fun. If I remember right, Dan had enough forces still in India to deal with what John sent there.

John's typical react is to attack regardless of what side he is playing. He may feel that plans are far enough along in northern Sumatra that he can send warships off to look for something to sink.

That, plus, didn't John do some work to make this mod more souped-up for the Japanese? He will want to test the limits of that relatively new capability.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 4589
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 2/19/2016 9:14:08 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Canoerebel: Peanut 1 and Peanut 3 are off the map. Peanut 2 leaves tomorrow. Peanut 4 is still in the jungle in Assam, extricating itself slowly. Tomorrow I'll provide a complete lineup for Operation Circus ...

OK, so we have peanuts and a circus, now where's the elephant in the room?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 4590
Page:   <<   < prev  151 152 [153] 154 155   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  151 152 [153] 154 155   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI