Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What's next for Codeforce?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: What's next for Codeforce? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/18/2016 10:38:55 PM   
Blabsawaw22

they still have some resource problems..and automation problems.. and private sector problems.. (late game..) but yes.. we continually play this game..

it's kinda like smoking.. you know it's bad for you.. but you just keep doing it..

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 2/18/2016 11:40:11 PM >

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 61
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/18/2016 11:54:01 PM   
Retreat1970

Out of all the game issues, I hate the AI population mismanagement the most. In my current game (extreme, AI Imp mod) I have a pop of 182B. Closest competitor is 39B (of 20). If I can get a fast reproductive race to max pop in 8-9 years, why can't the AI? Money rules, and 182B tax payers to 39B wins every time.

(in reply to Blabsawaw22)
Post #: 62
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/19/2016 12:45:07 AM   
Blabsawaw22

Don't fret little blue bird.. your socks will be knocked off..

Attachment (1)

Post #: 63
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/19/2016 2:07:43 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

quote:

ORIGINAL: Retreat1970

Out of all the game issues, I hate the AI population mismanagement the most. In my current game (extreme, AI Imp mod) I have a pop of 182B. Closest competitor is 39B (of 20). If I can get a fast reproductive race to max pop in 8-9 years, why can't the AI? Money rules, and 182B tax payers to 39B wins every time.

Is that something that can be addressed with modding? Basically a balance pass on each race tweaking its population growth to give the ai a better chance. Would be op for human control of course but the game supports ai only races I think? I'm not strong on the modability of the game and have only browsed the mod guide.

Post #: 64
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/19/2016 2:28:00 AM   
Cauldyth

I think it has more to do with tax rates. A human player will keep the tax rate at 0% for extended periods of time, which leads to a much higher population growth, which snowballs over time. Once the population on a planet hits max, turn the tax rate back up, and the cash starts flowing.

Can't wait for more news on the next DW project!

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 65
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/19/2016 5:31:00 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blabsawaw22

Don't fret little blue bird.. your socks will be knocked off..

Hmm, just wondering, what if you aren't wearing socks?

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 66
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/19/2016 3:08:50 PM   
Retreat1970

quote:

OK .. what this means is that they went 3d and tons of more fighting.. haha.. thanks Erik for letting us know..

What else would "knock your socks off" if it wasn't 3d and more war craziness with things like ground wars now..

Speculation, but you're probably correct.

I hope it's mod friendly out of the box.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 67
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/20/2016 3:22:11 AM   
Blabsawaw22

Honestly I'm sure it means they added more menus and moving things.. probably like StarDrive II haha..

and visual ground combat.. (bet you can't control but can watch..) ha.. I'm calling it..

I'm sure there is speech now.. and moving pictures in Diplomacy..

Attachment (1)

Post #: 68
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/20/2016 4:11:35 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

and visual ground combat.. (bet you can't control but can watch..) ha.. I'm calling it..

visual ground combat where you can only watch seem not so great to me..

ps: first picture is from the new Master of Orion, but I do not know from where you taked the second picture

< Message edited by Hattori Hanzo -- 2/20/2016 5:14:02 AM >

Post #: 69
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/20/2016 4:49:05 AM   
Cauldyth

The first pic is actually from Stardrive.

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 70
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/20/2016 4:54:12 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

The first pic is actually from Stardrive.

you're right, I badly confused the Alien Samurai Bear with the new version of the Bulrathi..

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 71
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/20/2016 3:42:02 PM   
Retreat1970

quote:

and visual ground combat.. (bet you can't control but can watch..)

Imo, this would be a waste in a RTS. I usually have too much going on to watch a ground war. Turned based it works, RTS not so much.

Post #: 72
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/20/2016 4:11:58 PM   
Blabsawaw22

OK maybe you can control.. but would they incorporate that? if you take 5000 troops, and expect to control them, this turns into medieval total war.. not Distant Worlds anymore.. ha..

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 2/20/2016 5:13:13 PM >

Post #: 73
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/20/2016 4:26:44 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

in my opinion it has sense to see visuals of the ground war only if you can have some degree of control.

if you cannot control at all why to see it ???

Post #: 74
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/20/2016 6:38:02 PM   
Blabsawaw22

quote:

Imo, this would be a waste in a RTS. I usually have too much going on to watch a ground war. Turned based it works, RTS not so much.

quote:

in my opinion it has sense to see visuals of the ground war only if you can have some degree of control.

if you cannot control at all why to see it ???

you mean like with Distant Worlds 1?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 75
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/20/2016 9:06:39 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

you mean like with Distant Worlds 1?

exactly !!!

in my opinion it will have a sense to show better visuals of the ground battles in DW2 ONLY if that ground battles will be somewhat controlled by the player.

if not, the normal ground battles visuals of DW 1 are more than enough.

< Message edited by Hattori Hanzo -- 2/20/2016 10:12:53 PM >

Post #: 76
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/20/2016 9:56:27 PM   
Bingeling

The display could give a bit better oversight of what is going on. But the current window works well, and all it needs is to be upgraded in the good looks department :)

Post #: 77
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/20/2016 10:20:11 PM   
Retreat1970

quote:

The display could give a bit better oversight of what is going on. But the current window works well, and all it needs is to be upgraded in the good looks department :)

Right. I don't know how you can control ground forces in a RTS. So if I have to set up my forces, set the attacks, fight the battle, and in the meantime I'm getting overrun in space because my nose is buried in the ground attack. It's like having two RTS in the same game, but you can only concentrate on one at a time.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 78
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/20/2016 10:39:38 PM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

Right. I don't know how you can control ground forces in a RTS. So if I have to set up my forces, set the attacks, fight the battle, and in the meantime I'm getting overrun in space because my nose is buried in the ground attack. It's like having two RTS in the same game, but you can only concentrate on one at a time.

I'm sure there would be a way to make the ground combat game controllable, in fact Imperium Galactica II did it, though everything else paused while the battle played out.. I'm just not sure it is something I want to control in a DW game.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 79
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/21/2016 8:39:05 AM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Yeah no tactical tbs/rts ground battles please.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 80
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/21/2016 6:04:20 PM   
WCG

You know, I don't know what to think about a Distant Worlds 2. This is the first 4X space strategy game I've really loved since the original Master of Orion. Even MOO2 was disappointing to me. So, the odds are pretty good that any significant changes won't to be my tastes. (And if there aren't any significant changes, then why buy it? There have to be changes.)

Of course, my tastes probably aren't typical. I play DW more as a role-playing game than a strategy game, I think. And I'm very much a builder in these games. I need the combat, but I play for the exploration and the civilization-building. (That's also why I loved Civilization II - maybe my favorite game of all-time - but I've been disappointed in every Civ game since then. I'm just not a wargamer.)

In DW, I always start at prewarp, because I prefer to battle pirates while trying to get along with other civilizations. (Of course, I don't want all of those civilizations to feel the same way. I do need the combat.)

Let's see,... one addition I'd love is terraforming. I loved that in the original Master of Orion! I want to improve the quality of my colony worlds - maybe melt some of the ice on ice worlds or something?

I'd also prefer a more realistic economic model, I think. And more things to discover when exploring. Oh, and I wish trading with other empires was more important - for those who want to be civilized, at least. I always turn off tech trading, since that seems like such an exploit. But it would be nice if (private sector) trading made more money - and gave other benefits to the nations involved, too (maybe even a slight boost to research? maybe cultural effects?).

Again, I don't think I'm a typical Distant Worlds player. Certainly, I have zero interest in multiplayer. But then, I'm way past the age of the typical gamer, too. I don't expect games to be designed for my tastes. Still, I've got more games than I have time to play already. Heck, I keep buying games I don't even get installed. Heh, heh. So, I'll be interested, whatever happens, but not particularly upset if the sequel isn't to my own tastes.

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 81
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/21/2016 11:03:50 PM   
Blabsawaw22

quote:

I'd also prefer a more realistic economic model,

Hint to Developer...

How about a 'better' economic model with options..

Distant Worlds 2 BETTER have more options than "trade with all empires" and whatever the hell "control restricted resources" means..

I should be able to tell how much resources at certain spaceports or turn off collecting this and that..(this doesn't change the private sector just turning on/off to accept resources at a spaceport..)

-Let's say I wanted a lone starbase out in the middle of nowhere to stockpile fuel only.. etc..

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 2/22/2016 12:06:56 AM >

(in reply to WCG)
Post #: 82
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/21/2016 11:18:06 PM   
Retreat1970

quote:

and whatever the hell "control restricted resources" means

Control of the 3 super luxury resources.

quote:

Let's say I wanted a lone starbase out in the middle of nowhere to stockpile fuel only

Sounds like a resupply ship to me.

quote:

I should be able to tell how much resources at certain spaceports or turn off collecting this and that

I already micromanage too much. Planets hold a huge amount of cargo, and spaceports don't need cargo bays.

< Message edited by Retreat1970 -- 2/22/2016 2:15:37 AM >

Post #: 83
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/22/2016 1:02:18 AM   
Blabsawaw22

Oh Retreat1970, my multiplayer Comrade and compatriot,

So setting "restrict trade" to "HIGH" means what? to only allow a few trade? compared to Low or Normal?? - Look at the Policy menu again and answer the question : what the hell does control restricted resources mean?

(I pictured it below)

ha.

quote:

Sounds like a resupply ship to me.

But I want a Starbase, not a supply ship.. oh and you know like those lone starbases you find with explorers randomly sometimes!

quote:

I already micromanage too much. Planets hold a huge amount of cargo, and spaceports don't need cargo bays.

and? yes colonies hold huge amounts of resources.. But If my colony #1 that is 2 systems away doesn't have jack sh%$, then how do I get the 2,000,000 Carbon Fiber over to colony #2 that has 200 Carbon Fiber??

ha! looking forward to your answer.

Here is the Control Restricted Resources.. what the hell? all they had to do was say something more, Like "Trade a high/low/normal amount of Restricted resources" But no! they put:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 2/22/2016 2:06:44 AM >

Post #: 84
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/22/2016 2:13:38 AM   
Retreat1970

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2985470

That's the only thing I can find about the topic and it isn't definitive. But, (The 'restricted' resources referred to are only Loros Fruit, Korabian Spice and Zentabia Fluid. You allow trade with other empires in those 3 resources via the check box on the diplomacy screen. When you select an empire on the diplomacy screen, the check box is on the bottom. The options in the policy settings won't have any effect if you are controlling diplomacy manually). This sounds logical, but since I'll never automate diplomacy, I will never know.

A resupply ship is a star base, but with engines. How cool is that?

The private side does surprisingly well moving resources around. Why do you need so much control? Am I the only one whos game works as intended?

Post #: 85
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/22/2016 4:14:14 AM   
Blabsawaw22

quote:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2985470

That's the only thing I can find about the topic and it isn't definitive. But,

Great posting.. haha and they still don't know what the hell that setting does.. till this day, 2016 nobody can answer what "control restricted resources does.. but it's ok.. (and what I mean is what the hell do you set it on.. High? low? ..

anyway,

I know there is probably something about a SupplyShip acting like a base still isn't going to work.. I'll gladly give you examples in my next game on why I need "so much control" when I play my next game.. I guess I can start a new thread.

And yes, Your Game is the only one working as intended.. "intended for you" that is, haha.. cause I know your game also can still crash, have resources problems, and fleet mismanagement, colony growth problems, freighters sitting around doing nothing when you clearly need something, fuel deficiencies, Pirates that continue attacking stupid targets, ridiculous trading policies, research potential confusion, the long save/load times, The 0 tax - max pop growth issue, the fonts resolution issues, and much more..

but yes the game works as "intended" alright..

haha

p.s. - have you seen the "Tech Support" forum?! haha, works as intended.. especially on windows 10! ha! I get good laughs out of all this.

thank you all for that.

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 2/22/2016 5:25:55 AM >

Post #: 86
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/22/2016 1:20:54 PM   
WCG

quote:

...like those lone starbases you find with explorers randomly sometimes!

You know, I wish we could disassemble those for a technology boost, like we do with advanced ships. Usually, I just scrap them, because I don't want to pay the maintenance on something that's useless to me. And yeah, I don't want my private sector to waste time shipping resources there, either.

But it might be interesting if we could send a construction ship there to disassemble it, filling up its cargo holds with resources and learning something, too.

Post #: 87
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/22/2016 4:11:13 PM   
Retreat1970

quote:

And yes, Your Game is the only one working as intended.. "intended for you" that is, haha.. cause I know your game also can still crash, have resources problems, and fleet mismanagement, colony growth problems, freighters sitting around doing nothing when you clearly need something, fuel deficiencies, Pirates that continue attacking stupid targets, ridiculous trading policies, research potential confusion, the long save/load times, The 0 tax - max pop growth issue, the fonts resolution issues, and much more..

Sounds like you need a reinstall. Honestly if you're having all those problems, why do you play?

quote:

cause I know your game also can still crash

Maybe. I haven't crashed in over a year. Many games played. Windows 10.

quote:

have resources problems, and fleet mismanagement, colony growth problems

Nope, how? (if manual then it's your fault), never (if manual).

quote:

freighters sitting around doing nothing when you clearly need something, fuel deficiencies, Pirates that continue attacking stupid targets, ridiculous trading policies, research potential confusion, the long save/load times, The 0 tax - max pop growth issue, the fonts resolution issues, and much more..

Sometimes (never broke my games). Fuel? really? that's DW 101. I don't care what pirates do. AI trade is lacking. research potential isn't confusing. I rarely save. max pop is AI problem. I have no problem with fonts.

I guess my game is working as intended after all.

(in reply to WCG)
Post #: 88
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/22/2016 4:38:59 PM   
Blabsawaw22

Hmm.. yes, the game, as I stated, is working as "Intended".. It's currently "intended" to play like that which we described, (Galactopedia, Trade Blockades?) whether it's on your computer or mine.. reinstalled or only installed once.. (you can browse through this forum and see every single one of those issues I mentioned.)

Some issues have been slightly dealt with through patches. Others have not.

When I play, and many others, as when you look in the forum here or Steam forums, to which I'm guessing nobody here looks at Steam forums, I still sometimes experience a few of the issues, and yes, they are "as intended" because they haven't fully fixed some of the pending issues.

If your game is fully updated, it's not about reinstalling anything, it's about what they didn't fully patch or just won't change.. (the automation in many many areas, handling of fleets, Diplomacy, Race Policies, Still odd Pirate behavior and whatever exploits, etc..)

I think there may be confusion as to perhaps it sounds like the game plays perfectly or something? I'm merely stating the facts of what happens in this game based on my experience and the entire forum which is filled with "issues" right?

I'm stating that my game plays as intended just like yours and the other 250,000 copies people have installed.. Assuming they can the game to start..ha.. that's why I mentioned about windows 10..

How many copies of Distant Worlds did sell? anybody venture a guess?

quote:

Sounds like you need a reinstall. Honestly if you're having all those problems, why do you play?

It doesn't mean I won't play the game.. ?

You should definitely know how much I still enjoy the game..

< Message edited by Blabsawaw22 -- 2/22/2016 5:43:57 PM >

Post #: 89
RE: What's next for Codeforce? - 2/22/2016 5:41:05 PM   
Retreat1970

If we're lucky we'll get a final patch before DW2. It's going on a year since the last one.

I know you, and everyone else here, love the game. We're passionate 4x'ers. The issues, problems, and exploits though probably aren't getting fixed for DWU. That's ok though as long as Matrix has been listening for DW2.

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: What's next for Codeforce? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI