Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

initial thoughts and questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> initial thoughts and questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
initial thoughts and questions - 2/27/2016 1:18:54 AM   
Perelandra67

I'm a ASL player so like a lot of people I was glad to see this game come along, and the mods. I'm a fan, and I know it's early, but I have some initial thoughts:

1. are movements factors shown as they are used? Can remaining MF's and MP's be shown? Am I missing that?
2. where is the "Chapter H" info? Do I have to consult the manual to get that? Knowing there's some ASL'ers involved with the creation of TotH, and some serious gamers, I would have that there would be more unit info available, such as; armor factor, gun type, ToE, range, etc etc etc. we like stats, or I do anyway.
3. Why no zoom?
4. I've played about 6 scenarios, each in under 45 minutes, and won a major victory. I'm not a great gamer, but it seemed pretty quick and easy. I used challenging difficulty. Will the game get more complex? Longer? The advertisement mentioned long scenarios and campaigns. I read somewhere that they might be released later. I am all for that.
5. I know this isn't ASL, but will there be Residual Fire, HoB, tables and charts or some kind of explanation for TH and TK?
6. I was playing a scenario and 2 of my Pz IVD's ran completely out of AP (not the APSD) by turn 2. Is that going to be a normal thing?
7. The AI seems to just run to the victory objectives and defend in a circle. Is there more advanced defense?

if this sounds like I'm whinning, I am sorry. It's obvious a lot of time went into this game. I'll keep playing "as is' and enjoy it.
Post #: 1
RE: initial thoughts and questions - 2/27/2016 1:34:19 AM   
Gerry4321

I will answer what I know:

1. No, except when you get to the penultimate hex it shows the last hex you can move to in red outline.
2. No combat values.
5. The is RFP (nicely show btw) and HoB. No charts just a listing the manual of weapons with their calibers.

(in reply to Perelandra67)
Post #: 2
RE: initial thoughts and questions - 2/27/2016 1:40:09 AM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perelandra67

I'm a ASL player so like a lot of people I was glad to see this game come along, and the mods. I'm a fan, and I know it's early, but I have some initial thoughts:

1. are movements factors shown as they are used? Can remaining MF's and MP's be shown? Am I missing that?
2. where is the "Chapter H" info? Do I have to consult the manual to get that? Knowing there's some ASL'ers involved with the creation of TotH, and some serious gamers, I would have that there would be more unit info available, such as; armor factor, gun type, ToE, range, etc etc etc. we like stats, or I do anyway.
3. Why no zoom?
4. I've played about 6 scenarios, each in under 45 minutes, and won a major victory. I'm not a great gamer, but it seemed pretty quick and easy. I used challenging difficulty. Will the game get more complex? Longer? The advertisement mentioned long scenarios and campaigns. I read somewhere that they might be released later. I am all for that.
5. I know this isn't ASL, but will there be Residual Fire, HoB, tables and charts or some kind of explanation for TH and TK?
6. I was playing a scenario and 2 of my Pz IVD's ran completely out of AP (not the APSD) by turn 2. Is that going to be a normal thing?
7. The AI seems to just run to the victory objectives and defend in a circle. Is there more advanced defense?

if this sounds like I'm whinning, I am sorry. It's obvious a lot of time went into this game. I'll keep playing "as is' and enjoy it.

1)Movement Factors are not shown
2) This is not ASL, so there is no chapter H. Please see Chapter 8 of the manual
3) Because I'm only one developer of the game I can't implement every single desirable feature
4) The editor is easy to use, so you can design more complicated scenarios with higher difficulty
5) All the game charts that I'm sharing with the players are already in the manual.
6) Pz iV D does have limited number AP rounds, it's randomly determine how many.
7) AI is objective driven yes

Thanks

Peter

Post #: 3
RE: initial thoughts and questions - 2/27/2016 1:41:08 AM   
Perelandra67

thanks for the answers.

1. it would be nice to know the MF's and MP's to better plan out our moves
2. it's not my game so I have no reason to complain, but it seem sliek this is reaching the casual gamer rather than the hardcore WW2 gamer. This of course is totally fine, but I would like to see more informatino available to us.
3. How is resid showed on board? There is HoB? Awesome! Berzerk and all?

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 4
RE: initial thoughts and questions - 2/27/2016 1:43:29 AM   
Perelandra67

yes Peter, I know it's not ASL. Sorry I came across as a whiner. i was just wondering where the game might be going. It's a very good game as is. Thank you

< Message edited by Perelandra67 -- 2/27/2016 1:44:30 AM >

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 5
RE: initial thoughts and questions - 2/27/2016 1:44:52 AM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

thanks for the answers.

2. it's not my game so I have no reason to complain, but it seem sliek this is reaching the casual gamer rather than the hardcore WW2 gamer. This of course is totally fine, but I would like to see more informatino available to us.

1) I don't want this game turn into fancy spreadsheet analysis tool. I want to use to focus on tactics and strategy and think about shifts and odds.
3) Residual fire power - please see glossary at the end of the manual.
4) HOB, to some extent, like leade or squad/hs promotion. Sorry, no Berzerk feature

Post #: 6
RE: initial thoughts and questions - 2/27/2016 2:11:27 AM   
Perelandra67

I enjoy playing this game, thank you for all your hard work.
All I'm suggesting is that tactics requires analysis, and I don't really feel like I have all the information I need to come up with a strategy.

the game runs very smooth though and I love the look of it.

and thanks for the heads up on RESID.

Post #: 7
RE: initial thoughts and questions - 2/27/2016 2:14:42 AM   
chrisleko

I like it so far, and I see your point about not wanting it to be a spreadsheet fest, but not knowing movement allowances really hurts my tactics and strategy. I don't know how far a unit can move in a turn, so it's really difficult to plan in advance for scenarios. Making the decision to move out into the open can be really really rough if I don't know if I'll have movement points to be able to move out of it (sometimes I have enough points to move to an adjacent open hex, but not a wooded one, which was where I wanted to go.

I'm OK with not having detailed info. I mean, I really enjoy playing War in the West/East, but there's almost TOO much info in those games.

Overall I like the game, and think it's really sharply done, especially for such a small development team. Given the option I'd buy it again in a heartbeat (e.g., I don't regret my purchase at all). I just wish we had a tad more info so I could feel my decisions were more informed. Otherwise I feel I'll end up turtling in every scenario.

Post #: 8
RE: initial thoughts and questions - 2/27/2016 12:31:12 PM   
Perelandra67

overall I like the game as well. Runs smooth, looks great with the ASL mods.

But, this is Starter Kit ASL at most. I felt that it was billed as a more complex game (gameplay and scenario/campaign design) and am disappointed at how simple the game is. if the future scenarios are the same kind of thing, and the campaigns are just longer versions of the scenarios, I'm not interested. I'm just pushing counters around the board and pressing "fire."

This is a starter kit version of Panzer Corps. That's not necessarily a bad thing at all. Just not what I was looking for.

(in reply to chrisleko)
Post #: 9
RE: initial thoughts and questions - 2/28/2016 6:23:39 PM   
Cafe

While I understand the dev wanting the focus on tactics rather than a spreadsheet - how on earth does he expect new players to understand their unit's capabilities in the game setting? This is not reality, it is a game system with game rules. Knowing the top level parameters is essential to a player coming to grips with the game. If the market is only for ex-ASL players who know the penetration values of a 37 mm doorknocker by heart then it will have limited interest for a broader audience.

I say this as an ex-ASL player (although long past) who is enjoying the game so far - I am just putting myself in a newbie's shoes.

Cheers,

Cafe

Be nice.

Post #: 10
RE: initial thoughts and questions - 2/29/2016 12:48:14 AM   
FroBodine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Fisla

quote:

thanks for the answers.

1) I don't want this game turn into fancy spreadsheet analysis tool. I want to use to focus on tactics and strategy and think about shifts and odds.
4) HOB, to some extent, like leade or squad/hs promotion. Sorry, no Berzerk feature

If movement factors are not know, and we don't know how far our units can move, how the heck are supposed to focus on tactics and strategy?!? If how far we can move is a mystery, then tactics are out the window. This makes no sense to me. We're moving blindly?

Post #: 11
RE: initial thoughts and questions - 2/29/2016 1:20:18 AM   
Perelandra67

quote:

ORIGINAL: jglazier

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Fisla

quote:

thanks for the answers.

If movement factors are not know, and we don't know how far our units can move, how the heck are supposed to focus on tactics and strategy?!? If how far we can move is a mystery, then tactics are out the window. This makes no sense to me. We're moving blindly?

+1

(in reply to FroBodine)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> initial thoughts and questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI