Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thoughts on AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Thoughts on AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thoughts on AI - 2/27/2016 1:50:50 AM   
Gerry4321

Just played Tutorial 2 as the Americans on Normal difficulty. AI with a couple of turns to go had no VLs captured. But it fired too much and didn't try and move towards those objectives (even Assault would have been good). So it never got near the VLs.

Played Tutorial 1 as the Germans and the defending Americans stayed in place mostly. There never moved towards the northern victory locations as I was grabbing them - they were empty.

Thanks.

Post #: 1
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/27/2016 1:53:43 AM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gerry

Just played Tutorial 2 as the Americans on Normal difficulty. AI with a couple of turns to go had no VLs captured. But it fired too much and didn't try and move towards those objectives (even Assault would have been good). So it never got near the VLs.

Played Tutorial 1 as the Germans and the defending Americans stayed in place mostly. There never moved towards the northern victory locations as I was grabbing them - they were empty.

Thanks.

Tutorials are just tutorials, please note that the scenarios were designed with "Hard" difficulty in mind. Meaning both sides (AI and human) will be using Command & Control rules.

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 2
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/27/2016 1:57:56 AM   
Gerry4321

How would hard difficulty get the attacker to move rather than shoot when if they don't move forward they will just lose.

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 3
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/27/2016 2:43:01 AM   
dox44

to me hard is easier than easy. i've not lost on hard. i like OOC

i haven't seen the AI exploit broken/pinned units. it seems to enjoy
stand off firing. it seems confused in what to do with armor. i've seen
it not take VHs it should but this is only after about 6 scenarios.

so a chance i don't know what the hell i'm talking about too.

i did loose on an easy defend--stalingrad. that was the best i've seen
AI play.

TOTH is a great game. i'll put up with the clicking. never thought i would see
ASL computer. worth every bit of $49.00.

can't wait for module/expansion and now getting back to mopping up
in the forest.

< Message edited by casebier -- 2/27/2016 2:45:32 AM >

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 4
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/27/2016 5:17:48 AM   
jeffdeham1

I also saw in the first scenario (with the two stugs) that the AI sat when it was two hexes away from a victory point hex that it easily could have taken preventing me from a major victory. I think the AI could still use a little tweaking here and there. I have seen that Peter already making tweaks so that is huge plus for this game. However like battle plans no AI survives intact it's first contact with the enemy.

Jeff

< Message edited by jeffdeham_ssl -- 2/27/2016 5:23:11 AM >

(in reply to dox44)
Post #: 5
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/27/2016 5:40:26 AM   
Rosseau

Every game I've ever played the computer charges in to its doom. This game it chooses optimal weapons range and picks my defenses apart (in two custom setups). Of course, setting a 40 pt. objective and no points for kills, it needs to move up.

It would help if Special AI Reinforcement Orders could be made for AI on the attack to ensure objective is taken. Currently, can only specify a hex if AI is on Hold order.

In fairness, Campaign Series Middle East with adaptive AI has potential, but custom scripting requires a lot of study (for me).

< Message edited by rosseau -- 2/27/2016 6:01:33 AM >

(in reply to jeffdeham1)
Post #: 6
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/27/2016 11:32:40 PM   
Gerry4321

The AI is quite strong thanks to Peter's work but it could always be better of course. Some things I noticed that might help down the road. In the Stalingrad scenario I just played I made a poor move and left a victory location empty. It moved towards this building with a leader and two squads but did not go in enough though it had enough points. So it could have grabbed that location.

Also it moved a stack and left them in open ground instead of moving into the adjacent building so they were very vulnerable there.

Keep up the great work. I am looking forward to more products down the road.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 7
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/28/2016 5:09:34 AM   
Rakkasan101

Even if AI is good, it's still acting on an algorithm. I would personally enjoy a way to hack into it and "Fix" a bad move by the computer when it obviously should do something else. Like, when there is an objectively obvious move that the PC should make. I do this all the time when playing ASL with people, because it's such a complicated game, no one can be expected to remember every variable.

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 8
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/28/2016 3:26:38 PM   
iPhoneAppz

As much as I want the DEV and Matrix to make money from their effort in building and publishing this game, I really wish that it were open source. I'd love the ability to build my own AI for the game and I'd love to implement online multi-player. I'd love to actually play against other people.

(in reply to Rakkasan101)
Post #: 9
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/28/2016 4:40:20 PM   
dynaman216

AI is not that good, I have not seen it skulk even once. (ASL joke)

(in reply to iPhoneAppz)
Post #: 10
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/28/2016 5:35:52 PM   
madorosh

I started another thread on a brief scenario I knocked out. The AI seems ok at attack-defend, but I designed a meeting engagement. The Russian advanced to the victory hex in good order, but some squads were happy to just sit in the middle of the street for several turns rather than either stopping two hexes away, in solid cover, or advancing into the building.

(in reply to dynaman216)
Post #: 11
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/28/2016 5:57:20 PM   
Gerry4321

Seen this in the StuG scenario where they will in one case form a firegroup in a paved road hex even though there is a building next door.

(in reply to madorosh)
Post #: 12
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/28/2016 6:02:34 PM   
Paullus

AI actions are randomized a bit. It calculates the situation shelter, Victory objects, etc but still can do nothing as they are to some extent as you can say as an ASLer dr triggered. This has to do with making the AI more flexible but still calculating. I'm sure Peter will develop the AI further as more people now play the game and several more styles and battle situations will occur than during the development and the Beta test. Reporting strange situation is a good way of letting Peter know of these situations.

For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus

(in reply to madorosh)
Post #: 13
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/28/2016 10:03:40 PM   
Perelandra67

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gerry

Seen this in the StuG scenario where they will in one case form a firegroup in a paved road hex even though there is a building next door.

is there firegroups in this game? I don't think so.

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 14
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/28/2016 10:06:14 PM   
Perelandra67

quote:

ORIGINAL: dynaman216

AI is not that good, I have not seen it skulk even once. (ASL joke)

nice.

Also, just run your 1/2 squad at the enemy and let him use up all his DF, then advance your better troops. Will work every time in this game. That's pretty much the first thing you learn not to do in ASL...

(in reply to dynaman216)
Post #: 15
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/28/2016 10:07:19 PM   
Paullus

No there aren't. Feature request?

For my part, I shall do my duty as a general; I shall see to it that you are given the chance of a successful action. /Lucius Aemilius Paullus

(in reply to Perelandra67)
Post #: 16
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/28/2016 10:09:18 PM   
Gerry4321

Fire groups as in ASL would be great Jorgen(I used wrong terminology above).

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 17
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/28/2016 10:12:05 PM   
Paullus

Please if you haven't already, make a request in the Feature Request thread (it's a sticky now)

(in reply to Gerry4321)
Post #: 18
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/29/2016 1:13:26 AM   
tjfox1

To me the AI seems to make a lot of really good shots. Like a tank MG repeatedly breaking units in a stone building. The AI fire attacks seems much more deadly then the humans fire attacks. As an experienced ASL player maybe I'm trying to related it to much to what would happen in ASL.

(in reply to Paullus)
Post #: 19
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/29/2016 7:31:32 AM   
MikeMarchant_ssl

A bazooka at maximum range destroying a Tiger from the front? Happened to me last night. Did a Tiger ever suffer this in battle? Also M10s seem very difficult to destroy, despite the fact they should be lightly armoured.They also seem to kill every time they shoot, and they shoot often.

Best Wishes

Mike

(in reply to tjfox1)
Post #: 20
RE: Thoughts on AI - 2/29/2016 12:29:13 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Every game I've ever played the computer charges in to its doom. This game it chooses optimal weapons range and picks my defenses apart (in two custom setups). Of course, setting a 40 pt. objective and no points for kills, it needs to move up.

It would help if Special AI Reinforcement Orders could be made for AI on the attack to ensure objective is taken. Currently, can only specify a hex if AI is on Hold order.

In fairness, Campaign Series Middle East with adaptive AI has potential, but custom scripting requires a lot of study (for me).

The AI can also attack when it is on Defensive. Say you have American AI on HOLD. When reinforcements come on board you can set a specific hex to defend (meaning they will move and defend a specific hex) you can also designate another set of reinforcements to attack...this capability can be set in the editor and it is described in the manual.

Thanks

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Tigers on the Hunt >> Thoughts on AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI