Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/18/2016 8:55:27 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Robert, you must have a library and study at home!
warspite1

Books - history books - are my passion I have a lot of paperbacks and secondhand books which helps stretch a limited budget. Oh, and I send Mrs W and the kids out to work to help pay for it.

I can see your passion being translated in you terrific writing!
warspite1

Fanks. I pride meself on my Englush.

That reminds me of that John we all know's writing "In His Own Write" & "A Spaniard in the Works". Have you read them?
warspite1

No - I've never heard of them so just googled Spaniard in the works and.... its John Lennon. Well I never...

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 1891
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/18/2016 8:56:24 PM   
wings7

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Robert, you must have a library and study at home!
warspite1

Books - history books - are my passion I have a lot of paperbacks and secondhand books which helps stretch a limited budget. Oh, and I send Mrs W and the kids out to work to help pay for it.

I can see your passion being translated in you terrific writing!
warspite1

Fanks. I pride meself on my Englush.

That reminds me of that John we all know's writing "In His Own Write" & "A Spaniard in the Works". Have you read them?
warspite1

No - I've never heard of them so just googled Spaniard in the works and.... its John Lennon. Well I never...

You will enjoy them!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1892
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/18/2016 9:01:45 PM   
Aurelian

The Franco-Prussian War by H.M. Hozier. 2 volumes. .99cents each for the Kindle.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 1893
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/18/2016 11:37:00 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

The Franco-Prussian War by H.M. Hozier. 2 volumes. .99cents each for the Kindle.

I like Geoffrey Wawro's book.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 1894
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/19/2016 9:09:47 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

I like Geoffrey Wawro's book.

I have von Moltke's.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 1895
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/19/2016 1:46:16 PM   
Toby42

Robert Conroy's 1920: America's Great War!

Tony

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 1896
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/19/2016 4:27:32 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

Project Fear by Joe Pike. His partner was a significant organiser in the pro-UK 'Better Together' campaign in Scotland's independence campaign in 2014 and he had pretty good access to all the significant individuals (from both sides).

However, the book is actually very funny and well balanced - as a picture of 'politics for real' rather than 'politics as it is pretended to be'. Its a bit parochial (as you'd expect) but I think its essentially a reflection of any real political campaign and all the antics.

quote:

.... Will then start "Soviet Naval Operations in the Great Patriotic War 1941-45". From glancing through this it looks like a propaganda leaflet! But at least it gives me a chance to learn about a subject that gets little to no mention elsewhere.

it is, if you can find it Kluge's The Soviets as Naval Opponents, 1941-45 is much better. Its from the German perspective but I don't think there are any decent books from the Soviet point of view that have been translated. Glancing it at, Kluge seems fair in his comments
warspite1

I could not find it so I removed the author's name and it came up on Amazon (the author was Ruge!). Ordered, thanks for the tip.

warspite1

...and it arrived today Look forward to this as soon as Sealion is done.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1897
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/20/2016 8:59:55 AM   
Orm

Reading something different now. Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. Feels refreshing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me_Before_You

< Message edited by Orm -- 2/20/2016 10:01:25 AM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1898
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/20/2016 10:31:36 PM   
nicwb

"Fighters in the Shadows" - a new history of the French Resistance by Robert Gildea

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1899
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/21/2016 3:16:18 PM   
Moltke71

Death of the Wehrmacht by Robert Citino.

Jim Cobb

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 1900
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/24/2016 7:51:19 AM   
Orm

Just completed a book about piracy and privateering in the North Sea and the Baltic Sea.

Very interesting read but I should really avoid these topics since they make me overuse the 'angry pants'.

< Message edited by Orm -- 2/24/2016 7:52:52 AM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Moltke71)
Post #: 1901
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/24/2016 1:57:29 PM   
wings7

"The Third Reich Series", published by Time-Life (1988-91). Packed with illustrations, maps, pictorial essays and an extensive bibliography. This is a great read on the doomed Reich!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Reich_Series
http://www.amazon.com/The-Third-Reich-21-Volumes/dp/B000WOZZQ8

Patrick

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1902
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/24/2016 10:54:12 PM   
bobarossa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

Robert Conroy's 1920: America's Great War!

Just read that last month! Enjoyed it and I see he has a number of other alternative history books.

I also just finished The Battle of the Atlantic by Costello and Hughes. Was published in 1977 and they interviewed a number of the surviving admirals and captains (including Donitz). Best book on that aspect of the war I've ever read. Lots of details on convoy battles and excerpts from after action reports and diaries. Appendix covers convoy tactics and ASDIC operations.

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 1903
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/26/2016 10:32:14 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Project Fear by Joe Pike. His partner was a significant organiser in the pro-UK 'Better Together' campaign in Scotland's independence campaign in 2014 and he had pretty good access to all the significant individuals (from both sides).

However, the book is actually very funny and well balanced - as a picture of 'politics for real' rather than 'politics as it is pretended to be'. Its a bit parochial (as you'd expect) but I think its essentially a reflection of any real political campaign and all the antics.

quote:

.... Will then start "Soviet Naval Operations in the Great Patriotic War 1941-45". From glancing through this it looks like a propaganda leaflet! But at least it gives me a chance to learn about a subject that gets little to no mention elsewhere.

it is, if you can find it Kluge's The Soviets as Naval Opponents, 1941-45 is much better. Its from the German perspective but I don't think there are any decent books from the Soviet point of view that have been translated. Glancing it at, Kluge seems fair in his comments
warspite1

I could not find it so I removed the author's name and it came up on Amazon (the author was Ruge!). Ordered, thanks for the tip.

warspite1

warspite1

Read the intro and largely finished the first chapter (The Baltic).

The translation into English isn't always great and that makes things a little more difficult but so far so good.

Ruge makes clear his intense dislike of the modern day Soviet Union (the book was printed in 1979) with every utterance!

He is very scathing too about the performance of the Soviet Baltic Fleet in WWII - although counters this with his view that the Kriegsmarine should have been used better than it was.

More importantly, and very usefully he provides commentary on what the Soviet official version states about certain events - and it is clear that Soviet Naval Operations in the Great Patriotic War may not have been a good choice of book. I think at this early stage it is going to be clear that in the Soviet version, their navy sunk far more vessels than the Germans actually possessed. However the bias isn't all one sided. I couldn't help but let out a wry smile when reading his opening lines in the Baltic chapter:

In the fall of 1939 the Soviets took advantage of the war between Germany and Poland to occupy the eastern part of Poland as well as Latvia and Estonia.....

Priceless - nothing to do with the secret protocols contained within the Nazi-Soviet pact then?

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/26/2016 10:33:27 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1904
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/26/2016 11:17:45 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Just completed a book about piracy and privateering in the North Sea and the Baltic Sea.

What's the name and author?

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 1905
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/28/2016 8:41:56 PM   
ntrlpr

I've just spent the last hour-or-so reading through this thread and adding books to my to-read list, before realising it was 64 pages long. This will probably become my go-to area on the forums.

My reading stalled somewhat this year until I picked up Barbarossa by Alan Clark to (in theory) help me make better decisions in Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa. Thoroughly enjoying it so far.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 1906
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/28/2016 8:47:13 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: ntrlpr

I've just spent the last hour-or-so reading through this thread and adding books to my to-read list, before realising it was 64 pages long. This will probably become my go-to area on the forums.

My reading stalled somewhat this year until I picked up Barbarossa by Alan Clark to (in theory) help me make better decisions in Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa. Thoroughly enjoying it so far.
warspite1

That's good to know. That was the intention of the thread. Otherwise individual threads get started - and then disappear, thus as a source of reference they are limited.

Some individuals refuse to use this thread - which is fine, its their choice after all, but as I say, its a shame because the book soon ends up off the first page and then forgotten, whereas this remains an easily accessible source.

If you liked the Alan Clark book (which I did) I would thoroughly recommend Glantz When Titans Clashed. I think the latter is even better!

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 2/28/2016 8:48:08 PM >

(in reply to ntrlpr)
Post #: 1907
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/28/2016 8:51:41 PM   
ntrlpr

quote:

If you liked the Alan Clark book (which I did) I would thoroughly recommend Glantz When Titans Clashed. I think the latter is even better!

Ooo, looks good. Yet another added to the list! Thanks, warspite1.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1908
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/28/2016 9:12:29 PM   
nelmsm1

I love this thread. First place I check whenever I pop in. Don't know how many recommendations I've looked into and read but it's been very helpful.

(in reply to ntrlpr)
Post #: 1909
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/28/2016 11:35:49 PM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: ntrlpr

quote:

Ooo, looks good. Yet another added to the list! Thanks, warspite1.

Make sure you get the revised and extended edition.

(in reply to ntrlpr)
Post #: 1910
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 2/29/2016 3:50:38 PM   
Beilisarius

The New Knighthood: A History of the Order of the Temple by Malcolm Barber

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 1911
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/1/2016 4:47:12 PM   
Kuokkanen

This could be of interest to some of you

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1912
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/1/2016 6:43:06 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

This could be of interest to some of you

Looks interesting, have to spend some time with it! Thanks for sharing!

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 1913
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/1/2016 8:35:46 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

What's the name and author?

Kapare och Pirater i Nordeuropa under 800 år - Lars Ericson Wolke

I didn't mention the name of the book, and author, because I read it in Swedish and I do not think that there is a translation made.

< Message edited by Orm -- 3/1/2016 8:36:52 PM >

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 1914
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/2/2016 8:57:04 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

warspite1

Read the intro and largely finished the first chapter (The Baltic).

The translation into English isn't always great and that makes things a little more difficult but so far so good.

Ruge makes clear his intense dislike of the modern day Soviet Union (the book was printed in 1979) with every utterance!

He is very scathing too about the performance of the Soviet Baltic Fleet in WWII - although counters this with his view that the Kriegsmarine should have been used better than it was.

More importantly, and very usefully he provides commentary on what the Soviet official version states about certain events - and it is clear that Soviet Naval Operations in the Great Patriotic War may not have been a good choice of book. I think at this early stage it is going to be clear that in the Soviet version, their navy sunk far more vessels than the Germans actually possessed. However the bias isn't all one sided. I couldn't help but let out a wry smile when reading his opening lines in the Baltic chapter:

In the fall of 1939 the Soviets took advantage of the war between Germany and Poland to occupy the eastern part of Poland as well as Latvia and Estonia.....

Priceless - nothing to do with the secret protocols contained within the Nazi-Soviet pact then?

warspite1

I am enjoying this book sooo much! It would be nice to have a little more detail but.....

Reading this, hot on the heels of When Titans Clashed, and it really brings home that the Germans simply had no chance. You really have to hand it to the Soviets though. The punishment they took and yet, despite all the losses, they simply would not give up. Incredible.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1915
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/2/2016 11:05:37 PM   
philabos

The Oster Comspiracy of 1938 by Terry Parssinen, the stillborn 1938 Wehrmacht plot to overthrow Hitler.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1916
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/3/2016 12:16:50 AM   
Twotribes

Ok this is a little off topic since it is not a history series. It is in fact a sort of zombie apocalypse series. But before you write it off and ignore the series. It really is good. It is not your normal zombie book and it is full of military stuff.

John Ringo Under a Graveyard sky, To sail a darkling sea, Islands of Rage and hope and Strands of Sorrow. There is another book coming out this year but it is a book of short stories by other authors on stories in this Universe. This series has a sort of ending, the last book clearly has the surviving humans on an attainable goal to reclaim the planet.

(in reply to philabos)
Post #: 1917
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/3/2016 8:07:38 AM   
gryffindor1

Currently reading The Help. :) It's pretty solid.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1918
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/3/2016 8:21:31 AM   
gryffindor1

Any recommendations for scifi/fantasy?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 1919
RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? - 3/3/2016 1:42:47 PM   
ntrlpr

quote:

ORIGINAL: gryffindor1

Any recommendations for scifi/fantasy?

I'm an unashamedly massive sci-fi fan. Probably my favourites of recent times:

* Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer
* Any of the Culture novels by Iain M. Banks
* Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear

For fantasy, I'd also recommend:

* The Traitor Baru Cormorant (shortened to The Traitor here in the UK) by Seth Dickinson

< Message edited by ntrlpr -- 3/3/2016 1:44:07 PM >

(in reply to gryffindor1)
Post #: 1920
Page:   <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What Book Are You Reading at the moment? Page: <<   < prev  62 63 [64] 65 66   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI