Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  177 178 [179] 180 181   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/5/2016 4:50:50 PM   
BillBrown

I agree with witpqs, John doesn't need any other reason than Banzai He only wants to kill things, no other reason is important.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5341
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/5/2016 4:52:12 PM   
Lecivius

Don't sell him out. He loves his toys, and tear the wings off of allied butterflies, but he likes to win too

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 5342
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/5/2016 5:05:32 PM   
witpqs

Mine was a poke of good nature. Of course, he might see something in a Burma move that does not stand out here, or that many of us would not agree with.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 5343
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/5/2016 5:18:54 PM   
Canoerebel

We discussed "where does John go from here" a few pages back. I think he is somewhat limited by lack of carriers. I doubt he'll forge deeply into the unknown without them. But there are some candidates like Diego Garcia, Ramree Island (and Assam) and the Perth region that might draw his attention.

India would be a very tough thing for him to try now. Many of his divisions in Sumatra are relatively beaten up. Second, the Allies have a stout army with lots of forts and a big airforce in this theater. For instance, Calcutta has 500 AV behind six forts. Viz and Coconado have good garrisons and forts.

I am modestly concerned about an invasion of Chittagong or Cox's Bazaar to isolate the Allied armies at Akyab and Ramree. But each of these position is pretty strongly held and under a big air umbrella.

But more than anything, I think I know John. He's a navy man. He thinks navy. He thinks oceans. He thinks islands. And if the Allies are pressing forward in the Aluetians or CenPac, and if the Allied navy is there, then I think John will be drawn there.

We'll know soon. When Sabang falls, I think we'll next see those seven BBs (or most of them) in the Pacific.

I may be wrong, but the Allies do have good defenses in depth and have been building forts and stockpiling supply since the start of the game. As another for instance, India has a bunch of Sea Bee uinits working at small, interior, obscure bases to help protect against paratroop assaults.

I bet the coming months sees a concentrations of forces and sharp action in the Pacific.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5344
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/5/2016 5:36:25 PM   
Canoerebel

6/29/43

Operation Roller Coaster: The carriers and other advance TFs move to a point just a few hexes NE of Maloelap. John stood down his Judys (because he lost 9 yesterday) and didn't get any detection on any of these TFs. He did get detection of the trailing pod of amphibs and supports ships. So he has an idea, but probably not with precision.

No interference at all with the Allied TFs today. All heck may break loose tomorrow...or not. We'll see.

I've reconfigured the reconfigured initial assault. Tonight, a bombardment TF and fast transport TF (with imbadded slow BB) will hit Wotje (to gauge strength, primarily). Another bombardment TF and an assault TF will hit Maleolap. These will give me pretty good ideas as to the strength of John's defenses. If things go well, then Jaluit, Mili and Ailingalap would probably be targeted day after tomorrow.

I don't know if there are carriers down here or not. I don't think so, but we've all had the experience of thinking one thing and enduring another. But Half KB North remains in the Aleutians.

Operation Circus: IN CB and CA TF bombard Adak Island to little effect. The Allies have stood down near the front for a few days, but troop repositioning continues further back. Arleigh Burke and four Fletchers leave Seattle tonight for Kodiak. As noted, John is maintaing a strong naval presence here. I don't see where he can have offensive ambitions (nearly all of the good Alled bases are too strongly held for him to move against), so his purpose is either defensive or hoping for opportunities to engage in naval battles.

Battle of Sumatra: On the west road, 2nd IJA Tank Div. and an infantry division are unable to punch though a small Allied force that remained when 1st Marine Div. pulled out. The strongest of the Allied units is an Aussie engineer (40 AV). This is an indication of how beaten up some of the IJA divisions are.

No attack at Sabang. I think a big bombardment will come tomorrow along with a strong attack. Sabang may well fall on the last day of June.

One other note about Alfred's synopsis. There are seven Allied divisions here by number (plus scattered other units), but not by strength. Most of the Allied units are half strength or less. So this will be a serious defeat (heck, maybe a historic one), but not as great as the division numbers suggest.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5345
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/5/2016 5:45:40 PM   
crsutton

Too late to go to India in mid 1943. The Japanese army would break their teeth there. It is just ideal tank country and the three Indian army tank brigades are by now the best units on the map. Throw in some American and Australian tank units and it is just a recipe for disaster. And unless the Japanese player were ready to commit to keeping KB permanently in the theater. Any Japanese in India and Burma are too easy to outflank.

< Message edited by crsutton -- 4/5/2016 5:48:34 PM >

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5346
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/5/2016 5:57:15 PM   
BillBrown

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Mine was a poke of good nature. Of course, he might see something in a Burma move that does not stand out here, or that many of us would not agree with.

Of course we are all just poking fun at John.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5347
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/5/2016 6:01:02 PM   
Lecivius

Poking fun at John is a favorite AE pastime

That fortress at Wotje is gonna stab you, methinks. It is a tough nut.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 5348
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/5/2016 7:02:06 PM   
Alfred

I see the map on post #5271 and see many strategically profitable opportunities for Japan to use the assets released from Sabang.  Most of those opportunities entail no risk.

1.  Just as Canoerebel is receiving advice in his AAR from third parties on what grounds can one postulate the view the same thing is no happening in his opponent's AAR.  That being so why assume that good advice is not being proffered there and that John will not heed it.

2.  It is irrelevant the strength and size of the Allied units which will surrender at Sabang.  What is relevant is they will be removed from the OOB.  Unless The Allies have hidden in a rear area base a cadre of each of the units amounting to about 40% of the unit's TOE, these surrendered units are not going to be able to make a useful return to the battle field for 4-6 months minimum.  And for those who don't bother checking up on the facts, just the infantry units involved are:

20 Ind Div
99 Ind Bde
18 Brit Div
503 Para Rgt
32 Inf Div
27 Inf Div
1 Mar Div
164 Inf Rgt
182 Inf Rgt
132 Inf Rgt

The 9th and 21st Mar Rgt had a fragment present at Sabang.  Where the parents were I don't know so I don't factor them in to the diminution of the OOB.

3.  The Japanese units shown in post #5238 are not that beat up.  Look at their unadjusted AV.  That is enough to defeat the 500 AV at Calcutta.  What they are missing from their TOE they can fully recover in 2-4 months minimum less time than the resurrected Allied units can enter the battlefield.  Their adjusted AV will be far higher if fighting in the temperate climes of Calcutta.

4.  From the strategic map there are 4 profitable land operations open to Japan.

(a) overland to Ramree and create another Allied pocket just like Sabang

(b) punch north of Magwee to either capture the oil and fuel of Ledo or swing down on Cox/Chittagong

(c) roll up China from the west via Paoshan

(d)  roll up China from the south via Tuyun

Really no need for the IJN to be present but keeping some of the IJN surface fleet to suppress Ramree could be entertained.  But if Japan wants to involve the IJN, there are some other additional opportunities albeit with greater but not necessarily unacceptable risk.

5.  Why has there been no fighting in Burma for months.  Well the obvious answer is that both sides are equally matched.  Japan can however introduce all the freed up LCUs at any single point it desires and smash through what is in situ.  The Allied forces currently present in India may be sturdy today when Sabang remains Allied but there will be no reinforcements to match the Japanese reinforcements.  No Allied reinforcements because

(a) the destroyed units are off the OOB for 4-6 months
(b) most of the destroyed units will take about 2 months to reach the CBI frontlines
(c) the strategic Allied reserve is known to be deployed in the Aleutians and soon will be seen to be deployed in the Marshalls

6.  So why would a good strategic Japanese player waste time and fuel to relocate to meet the Allies where they are strong just to recover some coral and rocks which mean nothing to Japan.  Why seek battle in the east where a lopsided IJN victory is not guaranteed, where the most likely outcome is a degree of attrition which does not benefit Japan to recover some rocks and coral which can never be held unless the KB is permanently parked there.  Parking the KB there, just to protect rocks and coral surrenders the initiative and when that occurs, Japan has lost the war.

7.  As to those saying Japan taking any offensive action is pointless, well by the same logic, attacking on 7 December 1941 is just as pointless.  Strong strategic Japanese players know there are good offensive opportunities in 1943.  Especially when they are playing a souped up Japanese mod.

Alfred 

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 5349
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/5/2016 7:43:58 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

I see the map on post #5271 and see many strategically profitable opportunities for Japan to use the assets released from Sabang.  Most of those opportunities entail no risk.

1.  Just as Canoerebel is receiving advice in his AAR from third parties on what grounds can one postulate the view the same thing is no happening in his opponent's AAR.  That being so why assume that good advice is not being proffered there and that John will not heed it.

2.  It is irrelevant the strength and size of the Allied units which will surrender at Sabang.  What is relevant is they will be removed from the OOB.  Unless The Allies have hidden in a rear area base a cadre of each of the units amounting to about 40% of the unit's TOE, these surrendered units are not going to be able to make a useful return to the battle field for 4-6 months minimum.  And for those who don't bother checking up on the facts, just the infantry units involved are:

20 Ind Div
99 Ind Bde
18 Brit Div
503 Para Rgt
32 Inf Div
27 Inf Div
1 Mar Div
164 Inf Rgt
182 Inf Rgt
132 Inf Rgt

The 9th and 21st Mar Rgt had a fragment present at Sabang.  Where the parents were I don't know so I don't factor them in to the diminution of the OOB.

3.  The Japanese units shown in post #5238 are not that beat up.  Look at their unadjusted AV.  That is enough to defeat the 500 AV at Calcutta.  What they are missing from their TOE they can fully recover in 2-4 months minimum less time than the resurrected Allied units can enter the battlefield.  Their adjusted AV will be far higher if fighting in the temperate climes of Calcutta.

4.  From the strategic map there are 4 profitable land operations open to Japan.

(a) overland to Ramree and create another Allied pocket just like Sabang

(b) punch north of Magwee to either capture the oil and fuel of Ledo or swing down on Cox/Chittagong

(c) roll up China from the west via Paoshan

(d)  roll up China from the south via Tuyun

Really no need for the IJN to be present but keeping some of the IJN surface fleet to suppress Ramree could be entertained.  But if Japan wants to involve the IJN, there are some other additional opportunities albeit with greater but not necessarily unacceptable risk.

5.  Why has there been no fighting in Burma for months.  Well the obvious answer is that both sides are equally matched.  Japan can however introduce all the freed up LCUs at any single point it desires and smash through what is in situ.  The Allied forces currently present in India may be sturdy today when Sabang remains Allied but there will be no reinforcements to match the Japanese reinforcements.  No Allied reinforcements because

(a) the destroyed units are off the OOB for 4-6 months
(b) most of the destroyed units will take about 2 months to reach the CBI frontlines
(c) the strategic Allied reserve is known to be deployed in the Aleutians and soon will be seen to be deployed in the Marshalls

6.  So why would a good strategic Japanese player waste time and fuel to relocate to meet the Allies where they are strong just to recover some coral and rocks which mean nothing to Japan.  Why seek battle in the east where a lopsided IJN victory is not guaranteed, where the most likely outcome is a degree of attrition which does not benefit Japan to recover some rocks and coral which can never be held unless the KB is permanently parked there.  Parking the KB there, just to protect rocks and coral surrenders the initiative and when that occurs, Japan has lost the war.

7.  As to those saying Japan taking any offensive action is pointless, well by the same logic, attacking on 7 December 1941 is just as pointless.  Strong strategic Japanese players know there are good offensive opportunities in 1943.  Especially when they are playing a souped up Japanese mod.

Alfred 

Allies losses are not to be discounted but as said before they are dispersed between nationalities. Indian army losses are light and the Indian army has recently been reinforced by a first class European division and a green African division. The British division is probably never to be rebuilt though. By mid 43 the Indian army is plenty strong to fend off any Japanese incursion. Once again, at this stage of the war Japanese tank units become all but useless and CR will not lose any serious armor assets. You are correct in that CR has to be careful of getting trapped at Akyab but otherwise as the Allied player I would welcome an incursion in Burma or even up to Ledo. I am always prepared to lose China and Burma, Ledo and any portion of the area around Imphal has no strategic value at all in 1943. In fact once China is lost, Burma has no value to the Allies. As for Calcutta or Chittagong I do not think it is viable at this point. Even under the best of circumstances they would just be trading assets and that will not work for John. Not to mention the drain on Japanese supply and fuel.

John would really have to move fast (which he is capable of) but the Allies will start to tip the scales in carrier strength in a few months. I would be wary to have ground forces in India by 1/44, so any incursion would have to be short lived and serve what purpose. I just don't see any strategic rewards in India to merit the risk. The Allies can lose China and win the war, so I don't think CR would sweat that.

But I do agree with you that with his freed up infantry in Sumatra and considering his carrier strength at this point John has a lot of options. But if it were me, India would not be one of them.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5350
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/5/2016 7:55:53 PM   
Canoerebel

All of these units have been in Sumatra since November 10 (except the Indian division and Indian brigade, which arrived later that month or in December). By January, I recognized that supply was my limiting factor rather than combat strength. So I turned off reinforcements and upgrades (with a few exceptions). And there's been little fighting since then, so that the British and Indian pools have been building. It will take time to rebuild these divisions, of course, but it't not like I'm losing full-strength divisions and have stripped the cupboard bare.

And some of John's divisions have been taking a pounding. He's been rotating them in and out. Others (especially Imperial Guards) were beat up badly early and are now rebuilt. But the bottom line is that it will take some time for John to rebuild his army from those divisions. In the meantime, defenses in India will continue to get stronger.

I don't doubt that John might target Ramree and Assam, but they are well defended and he'll have a tough fight. And those places don't figure into my plans for at least the balance of this year.

Right now my focus is the Japanese navy. That's John's achille's heel, so I want to seek batlte in the Pacific. Unless John has a real change of heart, that's where he's going to want to fight too.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5351
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/5/2016 7:59:36 PM   
Canoerebel

John had to go to work, so I re-opened the turn and am fiddling a bit with orders, changing some (or all) of the invasion plans for tomorrow. I'll post in more detail when I make final decisions and send the turn back to John. I'm not sure when he's off, but perhaps we'll have a turn done sometime this evening.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5352
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/5/2016 10:20:03 PM   
Canoerebel

Final decisions made. One APD will carry a cadre of a 'chutes battaliion to Majuro to see if it's vacant (it hasn't been built up at all and it doesn't start with a CD unit, so there's a chance that it's open). A BB TF will bombard Maloelap to suppress the airfield (hopefully) and to gauge the shore guns. The float plans on most BBs will fly recon missions over Maloelap, Mili, Wotje and Jaluit. And the bulk of the TFs will move a bit to the SW, essentially into the gap between Maloelap and Majuro. This is all in preparation for the commencement of amphibious assaults day after tomorrow.

The biggest questions I have are: (1) Will a Half KB strike? and (2) will LBA sortie?

Based upon everything I'm seeing, I don't think there's a Half KB here, but I'm not positive. So, as you might expect, the pucker factor is high.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5353
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/5/2016 10:30:04 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
And some of John's divisions have been taking a pounding. He's been rotating them in and out. Others (especially Imperial Guards) were beat up badly early and are now rebuilt. But the bottom line is that it will take some time for John to rebuild his army from those divisions. In the meantime, defenses in India will continue to get stronger.

Think that thru again.

Great manpower locations to replace destroyed devices nearby. Rangoon/Moulmein; Singers; Saigon, Java, Hong Kong. If John knows what he is doing it won't take long.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5354
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/5/2016 10:36:03 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Final decisions made. One APD will carry a cadre of a 'chutes battaliion to Majuro to see if it's vacant (it hasn't been built up at all and it doesn't start with a CD unit, so there's a chance that it's open). A BB TF will bombard Maloelap to suppress the airfield (hopefully) and to gauge the shore guns. The float plans on most BBs will fly recon missions over Maloelap, Mili, Wotje and Jaluit. And the bulk of the TFs will move a bit to the SW, essentially into the gap between Maloelap and Majuro. This is all in preparation for the commencement of amphibious assaults day after tomorrow.

The biggest questions I have are: (1) Will a Half KB strike? and (2) will LBA sortie?

Based upon everything I'm seeing, I don't think there's a Half KB here, but I'm not positive. So, as you might expect, the pucker factor is high.

Lots of talk about keeping up the LCUs, but what I haven't seen discussed much is the weakness that doomed the Sumatra operation - aircraft. Japan gets almost limitless aircraft. Are you confident the allies can fend off a sustained air counter-offensive in the Marshalls/Gilberts once you land? There are bound to be some IJA airfields left after your initial conquests. And it takes 3-4 days to get your airfields well established (after bombing/bombardment damage) so KB will likely be there by then.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5355
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/5/2016 10:45:11 PM   
Canoerebel

The Allies are okay in the air now, especially in an island-centered campaign. Production is much different that it was in early '43 what with the Hellcats already online and P-47s to start in two days. The Allied airforce can hold its own as shown in recent weeks in the Aleutians (and really as show in Sumatra until bombardments closed the airfield).

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5356
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/5/2016 10:46:15 PM   
Canoerebel

Lowpe, I know he can rebuild his units. It's just going to take time. I can't see him waging war in India. Assam and China, yes.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5357
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/6/2016 12:19:18 AM   
JeffroK

quote:

We discussed "where does John go from here" a few pages back. I think he is somewhat limited by lack of carriers. I doubt he'll forge deeply into the unknown without them. But there are some candidates like Diego Garcia, Ramree Island (and Assam) and the Perth region that might draw his attention.

India would be a very tough thing for him to try now. Many of his divisions in Sumatra are relatively beaten up. Second, the Allies have a stout army with lots of forts and a big airforce in this theater. For instance, Calcutta has 500 AV behind six forts. Viz and Coconado have good garrisons and forts.

I am modestly concerned about an invasion of Chittagong or Cox's Bazaar to isolate the Allied armies at Akyab and Ramree. But each of these position is pretty strongly held and under a big air umbrella.

But more than anything, I think I know John. He's a navy man. He thinks navy. He thinks oceans. He thinks islands. And if the Allies are pressing forward in the Aluetians or CenPac, and if the Allied navy is there, then I think John will be drawn there.

We'll know soon. When Sabang falls, I think we'll next see those seven BBs (or most of them) in the Pacific.

I may be wrong, but the Allies do have good defenses in depth and have been building forts and stockpiling supply since the start of the game. As another for instance, India has a bunch of Sea Bee uinits working at small, interior, obscure bases to help protect against paratroop assaults.

I bet the coming months sees a concentrations of forces and sharp action in the Pacific.

Dont forget that JIII, like yourself, gets a lot of advice from the peanut gallery. He might decide that its time to experiment.

edit Whoops, I notice Alfred slips this in as well.

< Message edited by JeffK -- 4/6/2016 12:25:08 AM >

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5358
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/6/2016 1:07:30 AM   
Canoerebel

I'm not likely to forget that John might do the unexpected. In my first WitP game with him, he invaded India in 1944 (as we've discussed in here on several occasions).

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 5359
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/6/2016 1:24:11 AM   
Canoerebel

A visual on the eve of amphibious operations.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5360
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/6/2016 1:56:28 PM   
Canoerebel

6/30/43

Operation Roller Coaster: No enemy opposition today as the Allied invasion forces assemble and gather useful information. The Allies are "inside the perimeter of islands." As I watched the movie, there were multiple messages about Allied ships "withdrawing due to air threat." Then a bombardment TF hit Maloelap, led by BBs Oklahoma and Revenge. Both BBs took more than a dozen hits and then simply disappeared from the screen. At this point I'm thinking: "If my ships have scattered and if those BBs are decimated, I might just have to scrub this thing." But when I opened the turn, all ships were in a tight little group, just as they were supposed to be, and the two battlewagons were in pristine shape with no damage. So the invasion is on.

The bombardment of Maloelap suggests that Allied BBs can suppress the shore guns in satisfactory fashion. There were apparently no aircraft here and the Japanese defenses appear modest, with a bunch of guns disabled. Tomorrow, an amphibious TF with CA Portland embedded will hit this beach.

Just to the south, one APD landed a detachment of Marine 'chutes at Majuro. The island was held by a small air support unit of 11 AV, which was sufficient to extinguish the Marines. But Majuro is open and should be easy pickings if I need it (it's a 1(1) port and 0(0) airfield).

Invasions preceded by bombardments will take place tomorrow at Ailingalap and Mili, and a straight invasion of Jaluit. I'm holding back a day on invasions of Wotje and Roi Namur so that I can keep my ships clustered fairly tightly.

The whole situation is very tense since I don't know if a Half (really it could be 2/3rds) KB is going to strike. But I'm encouraged that Maloelap's airfield was empty, and John might be dissuaded from loading up other advance fields given the threat that bombardments pose.

Operation Circus: A very quiet day up here, but Half KB North remains posted at Attu Island. The garrison at Dutch Harbor is down from 81k to 55k, a good start on getting it under the 35k stacking limit. Mostly I'm moving out AA units now. John got whacked here once, isn't likely to forget it, and the base doesn't have an airfield and thus isn't a linchpin of the Allied defenses. Troops continue to move forward as I plan Operation Carnival, the invasion of Amchitka Island. SigInt that John is moving an AA unit forward to Attu Island.

Battle of Sumatra: Bombardment by BBs and Three Sisters and an artillery bombardment that messes up the IJA artillery. But the Allied garrison is down to 7k supply and all the units have a material amount of disruption. The base is ripe for plucking now. I think John will soon try a shock attack and it will fall. Could happen tomorrow. But neither did I think July would see the Allies holding this base and continuing to hold such an important element of the Kaigun.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5361
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/6/2016 1:58:28 PM   
Canoerebel

The Maleolap bombardment from the Combat Report:

Night Naval bombardment of Maloelap at 136,117 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!
102 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
BB Revenge, Shell hits 17
BB Oklahoma, Shell hits 3
CA Sussex
CL Honolulu
CLAA Richmond

Japanese ground losses:
155 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Guns lost 17 (1 destroyed, 16 disabled)

Airbase hits 3
Runway hits 6
Port hits 2

BB Revenge firing at Maloelap Naval Fortress
Maloelap Naval Fortress firing at BB Revenge
OS2U-3 Kingfisher acting as spotter for BB Oklahoma
Maloelap Naval Fortress firing at BB Oklahoma
BB Oklahoma firing at Maloelap Naval Fortress
Maloelap Naval Fortress firing at CA Sussex
CA Sussex firing at Maloelap Naval Fortress
CL Honolulu firing at Maloelap
CLAA Richmond firing at Maloelap

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5362
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/6/2016 2:08:19 PM   
Canoerebel

Operation Roller Coaster on the last day of June

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5363
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/6/2016 3:40:33 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Canoerebel: But Majuro is open and should be easy pickings if I need it (it's a 1(1) port and 0(0) airfield).

Might be a good one to take quickly so you can put some AKEs there and keep your BBs bombarding thornier islands.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5364
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/6/2016 11:53:04 PM   
Canoerebel

That's why I'm targeting Jaluit - it's a level four port and will get a USN base force with Nav Support. That combined with an AKE should be enough to replenish capital ships. In contrast, Majuro is a level one port, so I don't think it would replenish BBs and possibly not even 8" for CAs (unless I had massive Nav Support). But Majuor is the backup if Jaluit proves tough to take. Also, I want a base - any base - for PBY search capability.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5365
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/7/2016 4:30:14 AM   
CaptBeefheart

AKEs and AEs (of bigger size for BBs) can actually replenish your surface forces in a O-level port. Hopefully you have some ADs as well to replenish your DD torpedoes. EDIT: And AGPs to replenish PTs. So, no need to actually take a Level-4 Port if you brought enough aux vessels to the party. Of course, another consideration is providing sufficient air cover so they don't all get sunk.

Cheers,
CC

< Message edited by Commander Cody -- 4/7/2016 4:33:12 AM >

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5366
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/7/2016 6:19:04 AM   
Canoerebel

7/1/43

Operation Roller Coaster: On Pucker Factor Day when I half expected the wheels to come off, D-Day goes nearly perfectly. I had issued a complicated set of orders that included some of the bombardment TFs that fired yesterday to withdraw and merge with invasion TFs (to serve as CD-gun sponges) with other bombardment TFs moving forward to bombard the beaches prior to amphibious landings at Maloelap, Mili, Jaluit and Ailingalap. When the movie started with a series of "TF X merged with TF Y" messages, it seemed a good omen.

In the morning phase Allied ships bombarded Jaluit and Mili. No bombardment was deemed necessary for Maloelap, which had been hit hard the day before. All three landings went well - shore guns claimed one supply LST at Maloelap. No other hits of not were registered. Most of the assault troops were aboard APA, which helped greatly, but most were also poorly prepped, which meant a good number of disablements.

During the day, a host of Japanese strike aircraft targeted Allied TFs, especially those at Ailingalap and Mili. Bleedover CAP from the carriers was robust at Ailingalap and meager at Mili. But the Allied fighters downed more than 200 enemy aircraft, losing a dozen of their own on the day. It had a bit of the feel of the Mariannas Turkey Shoot, which was awfully nice. The only hit scored of note was that a Betty put a TT into BB Washington at Mili. She has 20 FLT damage but will remain and continue operaations.

The afternoon phase included amphibious landings at Ailingalap. This base doesn't have an organic CD unit, so no pre-assault bombardment (but capital ships were embedded with the amphibs just in case). 3rd Marines came ashore here in decent shape, though lack of prep is again a factor.

At the close of the day, there were four shock attacks since each base is an atoll. The Allies easily took Mili (with its level one airfield) and Jaluit (with its level four port). At Ailingalap, the shock attack dropped forts from 4 to 0. This base should fall tomorrow. And at Maloelap, the attack came off at 1:1 and dropped forts from 5 to 4. (This base may need a bombardment TF tomorrow).

The Allies have staged forward a P38G squadron to Mili and PBY squadrons to that base and Jaluit (each have base forces ashore already, and Mili has a Sea Bee unit). As you players know, getting patrols up and running is a major step forward, though I don't get the benefit of that for another day. So KB might pounce yet with utter surprise.

The AKE/AE TF is amidst the carrier TFs, just two hexes from Jaluit, and will disband in that port tomorrow. Already, some of the combat ships in the bombardment TF that hit Jaluit have been able to replenish. So AA is 98% and guns are 88% (though the big guns are the ones lacking ammo).

I'll think overnight what to do tomorrow. It will probably include the BB bombardment of Maloelap. But I need to decide whether to proceed immediately to Wotje and Roi Namur or whether, instead, to pull a bit to the south, attend fully to matters at the four bases currently involved, and wait for the patrols to have a day to work before moving north. There is also the option of moving south to Makin (possibly ungarrisoned) and Tarawa (probably strongly garrisoned but the Allies will hit with a lot). Not sure yet. Perhaps I'll compromise by remaining mainly in place but also hitting Wotje.

Operation Circus: Mainly quiet as IJN subs pick off two barges. Half KB North (showing 340 aircraft) remains posted at Attu Island).

Battle of Sumatra: No bombardments today. Bombers hit Sabang and the west road defenders. Supply down to 6k. Japanese bombardment results in the destruction of 14 IJA guns. This base is ripe for the fall. This will happen soon.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 5367
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/7/2016 6:34:30 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

AKEs and AEs (of bigger size for BBs) can actually replenish your surface forces in a O-level port. Hopefully you have some ADs as well to replenish your DD torpedoes. EDIT: And AGPs to replenish PTs. So, no need to actually take a Level-4 Port if you brought enough aux vessels to the party. Of course, another consideration is providing sufficient air cover so they don't all get sunk.

Cheers,
CC

The problem with very small ports is that they cannot reload the AKEs with very much ammo per day. And, of course, it takes a while to unload cargo ships at the port so that it will have supply for the AKEs. I think Canoerebel's next nearest port (already owned) is quite some distance.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 5368
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/7/2016 6:43:48 AM   
BBfanboy

Fantastic start to operation Roller Coaster! Throw your hands up in the air and shout WHEEEEE!

I am surprised he did not have more bomber opposition for you after two days or so warning. He must truly have been caught flat-footed.
If you can have a cruiser FP or two recon Kwajalein/Roi Namur you could know better whether to go for them or not. Since he appears to be quite unprepared it might be best to grab them before he can air transport reinforcements. The more northern bases you grab, the fewer places he can reach with air transport or transferring aircraft.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5369
RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent - 4/7/2016 7:02:22 AM   
Canoerebel

Many of my BBs are low on main ammunition now. They are still well-suited to embed in amphibious TFs to soak off shore gun fire, but they aren't in great shape to undertake real bombardment missions yet. I can put together one TF, but I think I want to use it to hit Maloelap hard and make sure that base falls tomorrow. In the meantime, some of the other TFs will move to Jaluit to replenish when those AKEs arrive tomorrow. By then the patrols will be up and I'll know better what opposition is out there.

John is airlifting some troops - Ailingalap shows part of an assault division. But it's futile for him, I think, in the face of big bombardments. So I'm not real worried about air transport (unless the KB shows up, which of course changes every equation).

The Allies have staying power here. Lots more troop TFs are inbound. I can rearm combat ships now. I have NavSearch and land-based CAP capabilities. If John doesn't send KB this way, the Allies will continue to target bases. I think he will react in ways that will stop me from going too far forwards (KB may arrive tomorrow). But if he doesn't react, the Allies can replenish and move in good order on Wotje, Roi Namur, Kusaie, and possibly even Ponape. And the assault waves for Baker, Tarawa and Makin are already in place, though the latter two will require carrier cover (and Baker may too, though I'm about to feel that out.

John has lots of big airfields that will reach out and sting. I think he may have some combat TFs that might cause real problems if they get amidst my largely unprotected transports coming in from the east, and I worry all the time about KB. But if KB doesn't arrive in a few days, the other worries can be addressed.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5370
Page:   <<   < prev  177 178 [179] 180 181   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent Page: <<   < prev  177 178 [179] 180 181   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI