Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: July 43

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: July 43 Page: <<   < prev  63 64 [65] 66 67   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: July 43 - 4/8/2016 2:56:13 AM   
John 3rd

The Hellkittens are NASTY. I've seen them in a few dozen up north but ran into a 100+ in the Marshalls. Bad News!

I need seven days and Kido Butai is fully operational. I need just 2-3 days for reinforcements to unload at Ponape and Kusaie then they are secure.

FIRST Sabang...then FUN thinking may commence...always WANT to counter-punch...

Sent in 3 DDs to Ailinglaplap and they did nice work sinking an AM and two APA. The DDs were not touched so that was nice...

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/8/2016 2:58:31 AM >

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1921
July 43 - 4/9/2016 2:54:46 PM   
John 3rd

Haven't had much chance to update but intend to correct that today and tomorrow. Decided to post a VP screen. Take a look at the Allied Troop Lost line and the MILESTONE reached today of 1,000 Allied ships sunk. WE did that by sinking four ships in the Aleutians, CA Portland (3 500Kg Bombs and 1 TT--Hopefully sunk) and five AK/AP in the Marshalls.

NICE!

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1922
RE: July 43 - 4/9/2016 3:09:19 PM   
Lowpe

That is an impressive LCU VP total, especially considering you haven't taken China.

Plus there is more coming, right?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1923
RE: July 43 - 4/9/2016 3:10:54 PM   
JohnDillworth

great numbers there. The only real thing going against you is the planes lost to flak. That's only going to get worse

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1924
RE: July 43 - 4/9/2016 3:49:26 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

great numbers there. The only real thing going against you is the planes lost to flak. That's only going to get worse

Have come to HATE DaBabes and FLAK!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1925
RE: July 43 - 4/9/2016 3:55:24 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

That is an impressive LCU VP total, especially considering you haven't taken China.

Plus there is more coming, right?

Just ordered--possibly--the final assault on Sabang. Didn't order a Shock Attack--just a Deliberate because I am now CERTAIN his supplies are low or nearly gone. There has been no AA coming up at all in the two other hexes in Sumatra. Hex 43,71 held on against a 4-1 attack last turn but lost over 60 Tanks. It will fall next attack probably as well. We'll see...

The thing about the LCU total-past Sumatra--is that I am getting nice amounts of troops off these useless Marshalls landings. Majuro (only the Fortress unit present) has now defeated THREE separate small landings killing a total of just over 1,500 troops. Nothing I DON'T want captured has been presently. NOTHING attacked has been seriously defended and that may just be just about to change as he loves southward towards Tarawa and Tabitueau.

Kusaie and Ponape were slightly vulnerable when this all started. They are not now. Let him west or south.

Kwajalein and Rio Namur don't have a lot of troop strength but they are doing yeoman's work in housing over 200 aircraft. He doesn't even appear to be interested in knocking out the AF or taking them presently. That will change. They hit his TFs pretty good as the CVs moved southwards. Hope to see the same thing again this turn. Those CVs cannot be in two places at once.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/9/2016 3:58:59 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1926
July 43 - 4/9/2016 5:01:10 PM   
John 3rd

July 7, 1943

Sabang: SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO close. JDA: 2-1 (1872--683) Fort drop to ONE! Japan: 5782 Cas, 63 Guns, 3 Vehicles Allies: 2625 Cas 85 Guns, 85 Veh--nearly all of these are destroyed.

The Bombardments: 1.055 Cas, 53 Guns, 84 Veh--Run 25.

WE are SWINGING FOR THE FENCE next turn. Order the Bombardment TFs to hit Sabang again and the troops get ordered to SHOCK ATTACK. I am done here!

BANZAI!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1927
July 43 - 4/10/2016 12:01:14 AM   
John 3rd

The Japanese defense of these atolls in the Marshalls and Gilberts has not been very much. The strongest unit encountered by the Allies has been a Naval Guard. Despite this, the Allies have had issues. Maleolap and Majuro still stand.

Tarawa becomes the target on July 7, 1943. For this landing Dan is forced to use another Infantry Division and, once again, I blink my eyes seeing yet another AUSTRALIAN ID attempt to land. The 6th, 7th, and 9th Aussie are now all accounted for. This landing could not have been prepped for because the landing nets 1,039 Cas, 135 Guns, and 119 Vehicles when it comes ashore. The attack scores a 1-4 result (Forts 5) with Japan taking 1247 casualties for an additional 1,389 Aust Cas. Scratch one useful, experienced Division.

As the troops get ready to come ashore, the Japanese sub arm continues to hammer away at the Allied Fleet. Since the SS deployed four days ago they have accounted for 2 LCT, AP President Buchanon, AP Rangatira, an AM, two AK, and this shot of a midget planting a a single Torp into CA Indianapolis. The SS presence is about to go up by a third with six more I-Boats entering the arena tomorrow...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/10/2016 12:02:27 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1928
RE: July 43 - 4/10/2016 12:34:50 AM   
savelius2

For a barely contested invasion you're making him pay an honest price. At this point he has taken a few airfields he can presumably bomb yours to dust from, so would holding the remainder even be tenable in the long term if he didn't expand his holdings? It seems like this continues aggressive stance is giving you ample time to react, if not with the KB, but with your other assets.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1929
RE: July 43 - 4/10/2016 1:57:27 AM   
obvert

Hi John. Looks like you might slow him down at the least in CentPac.

Any chance you can list squads instead of casualties? It's your AAR, so I hate to keep asking, but casualty numbers don't tell the reader much in terms of these losses. Have no idea if those are lost or disabled?

Curious what the combat strength of the Aussie division on Tarawa is right now?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to savelius2)
Post #: 1930
July 8, 1943 BANZAI! - 4/10/2016 5:42:08 AM   
John 3rd

In a campaign that started over seven months ago, it is Japan that raises the flag of the Empire over the Port City of Sabang this day! Who would ever have thought it in mid-1943 a victory of this size was possible for the Empire?

Here comes a series of screenshots:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1931
July 8, 1943 BANZAI! - 4/10/2016 5:43:32 AM   
John 3rd

Here is one for just Obvert. Does THIS make you as happy as me???

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1932
July 8, 1943 BANZAI! - 4/10/2016 5:44:42 AM   
John 3rd

Here is the list of destroyed Allied units:

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/10/2016 5:46:14 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1933
Implications - 4/10/2016 5:58:06 AM   
John 3rd

In one fell stroke Japan now frees up:

Ground:
10 Infantry Divisions
1 Armored Division
5 Air HQ
12 Engineering Reg
Probably 30+ other support units (Base Forces, Construction, AA, etc...)

Air:
Of the 500-650 planes in the Theatre it is realistic to say 350 can now be free to deploy elsewhere.

Naval:
The ENTIRE Battle Fleet is now OPEN: 4 BC and 3 BB.
Figure 6-8 Cruisers and 20+ DDs can now move as well.
The current 12-15 SS deployed shall stay.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/10/2016 5:59:16 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1934
RE: Implications - 4/10/2016 6:16:16 AM   
John 3rd

There are still two hexes to finish off in Sumatra and between them they have 17+ Allied units and at least 25-30,000 more men.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1935
RE: Implications - 4/10/2016 6:24:46 AM   
crsutton

Well, it took a while but it "is" a pretty nice haul.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1936
RE: Implications - 4/10/2016 7:06:33 AM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Well, it took a while but it "is" a pretty nice haul.

Understatement.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 1937
RE: Implications - 4/10/2016 10:35:11 AM   
pws1225

Nice!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 1938
RE: Implications - 4/10/2016 2:18:31 PM   
John 3rd

I didn't want to jinx things but a week ago (July 1st) I picked up two ID from Langsa. They are passing the Philippines now and are headed for Tokyo. At Tokyo they shall refit and draw winter clothes for a probably assault landing at Ulak and Adak.

Time to push the Allies and make them react a bit to US.

Sho--Zui, Hiryu--Soryu and two CVL are now ready at Tokyo. Akagi--Kaga--Ryujo need another week before completion of their upgrades. My eyes keep looking at the map and Wake is sort of nice and secluded presently. It sure might be easy to go to Wake and then drop right into the Assault Shipping lanes of this Marshalls Offensive. The chance to raise some HELL would be most welcome...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 1939
RE: Implications - 4/10/2016 3:00:02 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

I didn't want to jinx things but a week ago (July 1st) I picked up two ID from Langsa. They are passing the Philippines now and are headed for Tokyo. At Tokyo they shall refit and draw winter clothes for a probably assault landing at Ulak and Adak.

Time to push the Allies and make them react a bit to US.

Sho--Zui, Hiryu--Soryu and two CVL are now ready at Tokyo. Akagi--Kaga--Ryujo need another week before completion of their upgrades. My eyes keep looking at the map and Wake is sort of nice and secluded presently. It sure might be easy to go to Wake and then drop right into the Assault Shipping lanes of this Marshalls Offensive. The chance to raise some HELL would be most welcome...

I know you have a certain style, and play the game the way you like for whatever reason. Of course you have a lot more experience than I do, and there is no reason to really challenge this style, but I can't help myself. I see your position and feel like you're going against what you really want here, which is to ultimately win the game against your archrival and friend.

You are in a mod that gives Japan all kinds of extra material advantages, except you only have the same economy as stock (maybe with just a bit more oil?).

So I'm curious if you've started to prepare for the next 2-3 years by conserving supply, building pools of HI, armaments and vehicles, oil and fuel, all of the stuff that will make your endgame work beyond mid 44?

To consistently want to "raise some HELL" makes me think you're not quite dealing with the realities of playing Japan into the endgame. To want to keep pushing into what is newly re-conquered non-threatening Allied territory, using all kinds of fuel, supply, material in terms of ships and troops and planes, and not actually fight in areas where you pick the conditions (like LBA support, far from Allied home bases, etc) is making me wonder.

Based on your playing history and your current position in game, IMHO the most effective and psychologically unnerving thing you could do to an opponent would be to prepare in the background, counterpunch when possible (on your terms) and offensively to actually do ...

... nothing.

< Message edited by obvert -- 4/10/2016 3:03:09 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1940
RE: Implications - 4/10/2016 3:11:01 PM   
pws1225

I agree with Obvert. I think the urge to raise some hell might be a temptation best resisted. You are in a good position to establish a stout defense and prepare for the end game. Make CR come to you were you are prepared and let him crash against the rocks. Just my two cents.

< Message edited by pws1225 -- 4/10/2016 3:29:16 PM >

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1941
RE: Implications - 4/11/2016 12:55:43 AM   
John 3rd

I am willing to listen to ideas and thoughts here. Does anyone have specific ideas or proposals? I'll gladly entertain some armchair general/admiral advice presently...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 1942
RE: Implications - 4/11/2016 1:26:26 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Santa Maria! Or, as they say in Honshu, "That-ah rot of Arried-mens"

FDR have hard time get re-erceted in 1944.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1943
July 43 - 4/11/2016 3:09:31 AM   
John 3rd

July 9, 1943

We continue a slow but steady bloodletting of the Allied Force in the Marshalls/Gilberts:

Air: 18 Zero and 21 Judy easily punch through the CAP of a TF just east of Tarawa. Results are excellent with multiple hits scored on 3 LSI(L), 1 AK, and an APA. There are 121 Casualties reported and several sinking sounds are heard later.

WHAT is an LSI(L)?

Subs:
I-154 sinks AK Stephen White at Mili
I-26 sinks AK Trolus at Tarawa

AND
I-183 plants a big, fat TT into BB Revenge near Tarawa. NICE! This is third BB hit by my Subs. Would LOVE to land two or more hits but these do help...

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/11/2016 5:37:51 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1944
July 43 - 4/11/2016 5:52:50 AM   
John 3rd

July 10, 1943
Marshalls/Gilberts

The day of July 10, 1943 starts in the early morning hours when four Japanese Greyhounds (DDs) come a callin' at the Allied Base of Miri. Four different Allied TF are encountered and old, veteran DD crews make short work of nearly all they face. First to go down are two new DEs on ASW Patrol. The second TF encountered are some 'old friends' from the DEI--Philippines APDs Ford, Ward (Pearl Harbor), and Edsall. They are set as a Fast TF so they clear the area with hardly firing a shot. The real damage is done next when a SC, 2 AP, and 3 AK are crushed. ALL go down! Lastly as the DDs are nearly out of shells and torps, a rich, plump target of two AOs (fully laden) are run into. The DDs get REAL CLOSE use their 25MM and anything else that shots to sink these two targets. As dawn breaks they run for Kwajalein having sunk and/or damaged a dozen ships. More amazingly they are not even touched ONCE. WELL DONE!

The day sees massed strikes by Japanese air attacking from the south at Tabitueau and from the AFs of Rio Namur and Kwajalein. These strikes find all sorts of targets and while they work to impale themselves from time-to-time attacking hugely CAP defended areas (Mili and the CVs east of Tarawa) the strikes find many ships and do excellent work. For the lose of nearly 150 planes (50 Zero, 50 Judy, and then a split of Kates--Betty), the Japanese manage to sink 3 fully laden AP and 3 AK as well as damage another 8-10 ships. Some of them sink as well.

Adding to the assault is I-26 sinking AP Boschfontein at Jaliut

Numerous Allied units are damaged by these sinkings. Here are a few examples:
1. (at Mili) 210 Cas, 144 Guns, and 66 Vehicles
2. (at Jaliut) 458 Cas and 24 Guns
3. (East of Tarawa) 88 Guns and 168 Vehicles
4. (at Tarawa) 877 Cas (all Engineering Squads)

Realistic Sinking totals for the day: 2 DE, 1 SC, 6 AP, 6 AK, 2 AO with solid damage to another 10-12 vessels.

Not a bad day. I truly hate how the game manages to fling unescorted bombers at targets with heavy CAP after 1-2 strikes have already ascertained that there is a CRAPLOAD of CAP HERE! Can't change anything there but it is a constant source of frustration for both sides.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/11/2016 5:54:41 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1945
RE: July 43 - 4/11/2016 6:32:58 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Well done in Sabang. An LSI(L) is the Brit equivalent of an APA.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1946
RE: July 43 - 4/11/2016 6:41:30 AM   
John 3rd

I had no idea. Thanks Cody. Much appreciated.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 1947
RE: Implications - 4/11/2016 12:48:02 PM   
kjnoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

At Tokyo they shall refit and draw winter clothes for a probably assault landing at Ulak and Adak.

But why? You are in an incredibly strong position now, what possible value can you get from fighting on the extreme of your empire where there is no advantage to be gained and everything to be lost?

The Allies have so many engineers by now those bases will be fort 6 long before you get there and you won't be able to do it without KB. While KB is in the grim north the Allies can choose to go play elsewhere or possibly force a CV battle. While you love the big battles you will get far more value in having KB as a force in being than a CV battle which will probably be a pyrric victory but will almost certainly be a strategic defeat. Bleeding a few more contested landings and crushing the Allies wherever Deathstar isn't will be far more effective....

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1948
RE: Implications - 4/11/2016 2:01:13 PM   
savelius2

With the fall of Sabang you've got a bunch of troops and ships freed for new operations. That doesn't mean you need to immediately do a predictable counterattack to the recent landings, however. Your opponent must expect it and be preparing for it. On the other hand you've now got 7 battleship and battle cruisers freed for operations plus some experienced, hardened divisions that need rest but could be put to good use somewhere.

If you don't counterinvade the Aleutians, what can you do with this force to make the next invasions your opponent had to do harder? I speak from a point of near total ignorance about the feasibility of things, but can you prepare a standing reaction force for countering the next landings with troops, bombardment forces, and have a realistic chance of eliminating his landings? Because with Sabang down, you've achieved something rarely done in games to this point: taking out a substantial number of allied troops in '43. His naval forces are only going to get stronger, but if you can keep pressure on the troops can you exceed the replenishment rate and slow the pace of his invasions?

(in reply to kjnoel)
Post #: 1949
RE: Implications - 4/11/2016 2:31:28 PM   
Lowpe

What is the fuel/supply/oil levels?

Those are the critical questions.

(in reply to savelius2)
Post #: 1950
Page:   <<   < prev  63 64 [65] 66 67   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: July 43 Page: <<   < prev  63 64 [65] 66 67   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI