Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 5/13/2000 7:35:00 AM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by 3rd Recon: The polish bunker apears as a non-moveing halftrack in the game. Love the minefield icon. Sounds great too, just about jumped out of my chair when I rolled over one. 3rd Recon Alby, did you try setting the move speed to XXX in the pref screen? I had same problem and saw this on another post. It took care of problem.
Yes i did, helped a little but still seems jerky to me...too used to sp3 i guess?

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 61
- 5/13/2000 7:43:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

What CPU speed is your PC? My P133 is pretty jerky, THe PII400 at work is much less noticable and my PIII667 is smooth as silk...likely a matter of CPU speed?

Post #: 62
- 5/13/2000 7:50:00 AM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: What CPU speed is your PC? My P133 is pretty jerky, THe PII400 at work is much less noticable and my PIII667 is smooth as silk...likely a matter of CPU speed?
I was wondering that myself... i have 200mhz speed, all other sp games 1,2,3, spww2 ,movement is smooth as silk as you say hehehe

Post #: 63
- 5/13/2000 7:57:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Yea, unfotunately that is at the low end now for teh new game, unfortunately WIndows is bigger and slower, and alot more is going on under the hood now, so unfortunately that is likely a function of your CPU speed. We are working on a "smooth movement" enhancement, but the art is a LOT of work...

Post #: 64
- 5/13/2000 8:35:00 AM   
Jon Grasham

Is 100 Formations tha max that can be on the map at any given time? I was under the impression that the player could set a 50 form. cap per side, so one side could not buy say, 400 snipers. However, after some fiddeling, if player A buys 100 formations, player B cannot buy *anything*, when the formation cap is set to 0/default. In SP3, wasn't 100 per side the limit? Is 100 supposed to be the per side limit here as well, or 100 total?

?

Post #: 65
- 5/13/2000 9:10:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

The 100 formation - 400 unit limit is total for the game. We are working on doubling that (and the max map size).

Post #: 66
- 5/13/2000 9:21:00 AM   
Jon Grasham

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: The 100 formation - 400 unit limit is total for the game. We are working on doubling that (and the max map size).
Got it! thanks!

?

Post #: 67
- 5/13/2000 1:00:00 PM   
jones

Hi, Wow, what a great game! I haven't been able to stop playing for while now . THANKS!! First the bugs (were/are SP bugs ?): Units sometimes fire damaged/destroyed weapons during reaction phase. Once a mortar unit is in "out of c3" state and I visit the Bombardment screen, sometimes that unit is never available again for i/d fire assignments ("out of range"). Feature request: I'm haven't figured out how to turn off VCR replays (for playing against the AI) and NUMEROUS times I have mistakenly hit V instead of F. Now that AI turns can run to 10-15 minutes I'd sure appreciate a "View Replay (y/n)" prompt when plyr hits v Again thanks for an excellent game! -d

Post #: 68
- 5/15/2000 2:52:00 AM   
jmo1

I have played couple games Germany vs Poland. and Germany vs France I have noticed also that Polish bunker looks like immobilized half truck in game. PzKpfw-II's long 20 mm (20L55?) gun sounds like Apache's automatic cannon in SP2. I found that it's really hard to kill Polish 7-TP or German PzKpfw-38t with 37mm gun. I have tried kill Polish and German tanks even from one hex distance (from front, side and back)... I got hit after hit, but tanks usually survive, and takes some damage or will be destroyed too rarely. I have used 100% for tank toughness.

Post #: 69
- 5/15/2000 4:35:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

I will double check the unit data. in going over teh OOBs. Assigning unit values can be as much art as science and what "looks" like it should work based on crunching some numbers to represent complex arrangements of plates, sometimes goes astray:-) THe angles you shoot at are critical and you can be "too close" to units on hills because of teh angles. We ried to address some of teh problems with the "plataeu effect" ie tanks are always parallel to the ground, even on slopes...the "bottom hit" represents the exposure to get the gun depressed far enough...

Post #: 70
- 5/15/2000 6:17:00 AM   
Fred

Paul, I too have seen some very strange high armor ratings in the pop-up descriptions while playing against the polish in 1939. Stuff like "34 pen vs. 366 armor, no effect"...against a polish light tank. It happens often that these values appear, e.g my PzIII on a hill and the polish tank some 6 hexes away on flat terrain. First shot gave a "believable" result of "34 vs. 40 armor", second shot "34 vs. 246 armor" etc. Looks like an inconsistency in the armor/slope algorithm? Fred

"I got signals, I got readings in front and behind" - PFC Hudson, LV-426 mission

Post #: 71
- 5/15/2000 8:52:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

In general what you are seeing is the effect of VERY acute angles. Take a pencil for instance, if you measure across it its narrow, but as you angle it the path through "the wood" gets bigger and bigger. Becasue teh round starts to rotate as it digs in, and teh mechanics of penetration, the "effective" thickness is even greater than the "geometric" thickness. Now together with this is the fact that the rotation of the round on contact often results in the shell deflecting, so the probability of ricochet is related to the angle and T/D ratio. The large numbers in the box are these "effective" armor values when the angle is efspecially acute. More often than not, they will casue ricochets! The routines have been heavily tested and in general are very good. I will look at the case of bottom hits up hill, to see if there may be a bug in how the angle is calculated... For all other cases I'm pretty darn certain that the routine is working as intended!

Post #: 72
- 5/15/2000 10:04:00 AM   
pvi215

I have also noticed the rather absurd armor thicknesses given the 7-TP. Consistant calculated effective armor thickness in the 300-400mm range for a vehicle with a maximum frontal armor of 40mm is not creditable. Maybe the 7-TP pioneered the use of Chobham with DU mesh.

Post #: 73
- 5/15/2000 10:27:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Depends on the angle. The generally accepted "effective" thickness of armor as it varys with angle is base/cos^1.6. In the game the 1.6 is varied with T/D. 40/cos(75)^1.6 = 347mm At that acuteness, the odds are high the round will never "bite" and will ricochet. APCR is even worse using an exponent 2.2! If you think that is not credible, than you may want to write R.M. Ogorkiewicz, who offers the relationship in both his works on the subject of tank design. He is on eof the most respected theorists on an tank design around! His 2 volume reference on Tank Design for Jane's is considered by many the standard reference work. Wargamers are so used to using the base/cos approximation that when they start seeing this core correct form, they cry foul! HPS uses this sort of formulation, but I don't believe they factor T/D in - at least in the same way. I think Combat Mission does too, but I am not certain. I'm always learning about this stuff, but in nearly 2 years researching this particular method, I stand by it, together with using angle of incidence as the primary random element. At least until I'm better educated in the theory by someone :-)

Post #: 74
- 5/15/2000 8:21:00 PM   
xman44

First of all, let me congratulate the design staff of Matrix Games! This game is great and has kept me up many a night since I downloaded it. Much to the dismay of my work I might add. However, not sure if this is a bug, but I am playing the "Eagles" campaign that was included in the download and after the "Market Garden" scenario I get a decisive victory, but after I press DONE, it dumps me out of the game completely. Now, I realize that this may be the end of the campaign, but I would like some clarification to if this is a bug or just "part of the game." Thanks, xman

Post #: 75
- 5/15/2000 9:55:00 PM   
Larry Holt

I'd like to see a feature to replay the last message. Even though I can change the delay for a pop-up message, sometimes I want to ponder them or my kids distract me and I miss it altogether ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one.

Never take counsel of your fears.

Post #: 76
- 5/15/2000 10:36:00 PM   
jmo1

I reported bug about sound of gun of PzKpfw 2C. I checked it again and sound was right, but there was gfx-effect of multiple explotions (like fired with automatic cannon). I have seen this bug only in Carre d As scenario.

Post #: 77
- 5/16/2000 2:42:00 AM   
O de B

Well, i noticed some things i did not understood, but first i want to thank all Matrix Crew for this great game and all the features i love in this game : sounds, graphics, OOB, scenarios, reinforcements, combat resolution (a huge thanks for the astonishing work you did on the armor penetration system !!!!) , the '9' feature key, the colour LBMs, the opportunity fire, the possibility for HT to flee when a tank comes up close, the fact that infantry loaded on tank takes losses when the tank is hit, the way AI uses trucks, the mg efficiency well i forget a lot, the list is huge ! However, I noticed a very few strange things that may or not be bugs : - i'm a newbie to the Command & Control system, but i think i figured it out a little. Then i tried to assign single units objectives, but the button seems to assign objective to the whole formation. I changed the option between 'Change whole formation/change this unit only' with the formation leader, but i did not seemed to work . - there are also some very little graphics bugs (not very annoying for gameplay, but they are ) Once in a while, the icon of a destroyed vehicle will dissapear (i had this with a german halftrack and a JS-III, at last for what i noticed 'hey, where has it gone !') i think an other one is well known, i just recall them to be sure - some buildings extend a little further their drawing. Perhaps that's what people call 'invisible buildings'. Well, they are not invisible, but when a multihex building extends to a hex where it seems to just occupy a small corner, i think it's clear and move my tank/HT along for cover, and crash, it's immobilized Well, that's all. Sorry for the looong post, i couldn't stop speaking of this game You should better rest a little now, my writing must tiring thanks again !

Post #: 78
- 5/16/2000 3:56:00 AM   
StuNZ

quote:

Originally posted by O de B: - i'm a newbie to the Command & Control system, but i think i figured it out a little. Then i tried to assign single units objectives, but the button seems to assign objective to the whole formation. I changed the option between 'Change whole formation/change this unit only' with the formation leader, but i did not seemed to work .
O de B, objectives can only be assigned to formations, not individual units - individual units of a formation may have a different objective to the rest, but this only happens either when A) The unit is out of contact and the formation objective is changed B) The unit is forced to retreat from it's current location Hope that clears it up for you .

Post #: 79
- 5/16/2000 9:16:00 AM   
pvi215

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: Depends on the angle. The generally accepted "effective" thickness of armor as it varys with angle is base/cos^1.6. In the game the 1.6 is varied with T/D. 40/cos(75)^1.6 = 347mm At that acuteness, the odds are high the round will never "bite" and will ricochet. APCR is even worse using an exponent 2.2! If you think that is not credible, than you may want to write R.M. Ogorkiewicz, who offers the relationship in both his works on the subject of tank design. He is on eof the most respected theorists on an tank design around! His 2 volume reference on Tank Design for Jane's is considered by many the standard reference work. Wargamers are so used to using the base/cos approximation that when they start seeing this core correct form, they cry foul! HPS uses this sort of formulation, but I don't believe they factor T/D in - at least in the same way. I think Combat Mission does too, but I am not certain. I'm always learning about this stuff, but in nearly 2 years researching this particular method, I stand by it, together with using angle of incidence as the primary random element. At least until I'm better educated in the theory by someone :-)
It's been a couple of decades since I openned his (Ogorkiewicz) "Design and Developement of Fighting Vehicles", but fig. IV, pg. 83, chap. 4 graphicly presents the formula you cite. Which is to say you are absolutely correct in your basic methodology. However, hits against multiple targets (all 7TPs) from different ranges and angles of engagement consistently got calculated armor thicknesses in the 300-400mm range. That, I consider odd.

Post #: 80
- 5/16/2000 9:35:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

I just did a "shooting gallery" test with 10 PZ 35t against 10 7TP's at about 250-250 yrds range. The result after each had a turn was 5 7TPs dead, and 2 damaged. The highest armor result I saw was a thin flank hit at 228. Most were well within a factor of 3 of the base. 1 PZ 35 was killed, one immobed, and 2 damaged. The best way to get a feel for the comabt system is to set up "shooting gallerys" in the editor and see how the geometry effects the outcome. I appreciate your input, and while there is always the possiblity of a bug hidden in some situation, try some more examples and see if you still see this effect? If the target has a significant height advantage, and teh shooter is very close, with good slope, you can have large angles playing also. [This message has been edited by Paul Vebber (edited 05-15-2000).]

Post #: 81
- 5/16/2000 10:33:00 AM   
crazyivan

quote:

Originally posted by Desert Fox: I know gliders are not supposed to be guaranteed a perfect landing, but I bought 4 German gliders just to see how they worked. Well, I was really really disappointed. It was a meeting engagement vs. the computer, clear weather at 1300 hours. I set the gliders to land at on a strategic hill in no mans land. I started my turn and watched them fly with the wind. They got to the hill and just kept flying, flying, flying, right into the lines of the British battalion. They unloaded and all my troops were summarily destroyed. Now, granted I didn't expect the gliders to be right on target, but they overshot by 20 hexes, that can't be right can it? And how come they can't carry a full squad inside? I tried to load in a FJ airborne squad and it told me they wouldn't all fit. Now that makes even less sense than the 20 hex overshoot. Next time I am buying transports.
why don't you try and use air transport instead they hold heaps and parachutings seam more accurate

"The best form of defence,is attack"

Post #: 82
- 5/16/2000 10:37:00 AM   
crazyivan

quote:

Originally posted by Desert Fox: I know gliders are not supposed to be guaranteed a perfect landing, but I bought 4 German gliders just to see how they worked. Well, I was really really disappointed. It was a meeting engagement vs. the computer, clear weather at 1300 hours. I set the gliders to land at on a strategic hill in no mans land. I started my turn and watched them fly with the wind. They got to the hill and just kept flying, flying, flying, right into the lines of the British battalion. They unloaded and all my troops were summarily destroyed. Now, granted I didn't expect the gliders to be right on target, but they overshot by 20 hexes, that can't be right can it? And how come they can't carry a full squad inside? I tried to load in a FJ airborne squad and it told me they wouldn't all fit. Now that makes even less sense than the 20 hex overshoot. Next time I am buying transports.
why don't you try and use air transport instead they hold heaps and parachutings seam more accurate

"The best form of defence,is attack"

Post #: 83
- 5/17/2000 1:22:00 AM   
Wild Bill

You need to stagger their landing zones. If you have them landing close together or one on top of the other, they may not respond. Also, do the following; 1. Open the glider menu 2. Set direction FIRST. Always do this. 3. Set glider landing hexes a. Not on top of each other b. Not in a row (the glider gets confused when he sees another glider in his "slot" c. Not in an area crowded with trees or hills. Gliders are scared of those (and they should be) There is always a chance that a glider will overshoot the area of battle and be lost to the action. That is historically accurate. By the time they got to the battle it was over. Hope this helps...WB ------------------ Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 84
- 5/17/2000 1:35:00 AM   
Seth

Not really much of a bug, but if you hold the mouse over the next and previous buttons in the encyclopedia, you get data on an empty fort with odd availability dates. Maybe it just doesn't know what else to show?

Post #: 85
- 5/17/2000 2:40:00 AM   
Sgt. Rick

Played a battle in September 1945 between US Marines and Japanese. While buying Marine artillery, go to SPA Sec or SPA Btry. You can buy the M7 105mm HMC for FREE!!! I am pretty sure it's a defect... Awesome game! Rick

Post #: 86
- 5/17/2000 5:46:00 AM   
Pack Rat

I'm getting confused as to what has been reported as a problem and what hasn't. Might be just me. Seems wrong to be finding anything wrong with W@W, but I know it's needed. (-: I've noticed that while the AI takes its turn the sometimes the screen goes to the area where the units are. You can't see them but it's a give away. I believe I see it more at the end of the AIs movement, like when units are retreating. ------------------ Peace, Pack Rat

PR

Post #: 87
- 5/17/2000 6:00:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

This weekend we will put together and post a "BUGs Reported" Doc.

Post #: 88
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI