Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 1/2/2016 5:41:27 PM   
Jafele

Thanks for the impressive work you´re doing on the UI and the graphics. It´s something I really miss in JT games, specially on ACW, FFWC and Napoleonic Series. Younger (and not so younger ) gamers need these changes.

Happy new year!

Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 121
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 1/26/2016 2:29:32 PM   
Crossroads

With CS: Middle East 1.02 UPDATE being finalised for a release in a few weeks time, we are continuing our work towards the next game in the series; CS: Vietnam.

True to the Campaign Series approach to game titles, this game will also span a long period of time, covering conflicts for instance:

- First Indochina War
- Second Indochina War
- Laos Civil War
- Cambodian Civil War
- Chinese-Vietnamese Border War

The game will continue to be equipped with a full series of editors, as well with a Random Battle Generator and a Linked Campaign Game option. Dynamic Campaign Games are being discussed, given the DCG mechanism is to go a complete overhaul, likely after CS:VN 1.0 is out, whether it will be included from the word go is still under discussion.

While we're very happy with the game engine itself, and the rich variety of gaming features and options it provides, the user interface continues to be in the center of our attention too. In-game dialogs are the first to begin their long due overhaul. Front End menus too will receive some attention, all things going well.

This time around, 3D will get a thorough overhaul, with a new set of terrain tiles in the making. All 3D units continue to be lovingly hand painted too. We've got two project members dedicating their full development time to 3D. The design philosophy continues to be that of the hand painted table top miniatures, familiar to CS players from the previous game titles. More of them later.

On 2D, after the two new Zoom levels that appeared with CS:ME, the tasks in hand are the development of the new Tropical temp zone terrain tiles. The design philosophy here continues to be that of a Boardgame look and feel. To that aspect, now with the Counter Stats being available for chits, the 2D Graphical Unit Icons view receives a new design approach. 2D NATO symbol view remains the same, with 420+ individual platoon and section icons available to describe the various units.

There's a lot of foundation work done already all along while the JTCS 2.0 and CS:ME 1.0 titles were being developed. We hope to release CS: Vietnam in some 12 months time from now, all going well. Here's hoping!

If you have any questions, comments or wishlist items to make, shoot!

Oh, the first sneak peek: Version 1.0 mock-up of the new 2D Graphical Unit Icons view:

As always, everything is work-in-progress and subject to change

-crossroads-

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 122
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 1/26/2016 2:30:48 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

As always, everything is work-in-progress and subject to change

2D terrain in particular is still full of placeholders and CSME carry-overs. Pay no attention

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 123
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 1/26/2016 4:27:29 PM   
Jafele

A simple but important question:

Will eventuallly CS:ME have the new features of CS:VN?

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 124
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 1/26/2016 4:34:55 PM   
Crossroads

That is the idea, yes. After VN 1.0 is out, ME engine will be then upgraded to VN 1.0 level.

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 125
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 1/26/2016 5:12:26 PM   
Jafele

Wise decision. In this way all CS games (old and news) will have the same features. There won´t be dated games.

Guess everybody is happy, even the hardest fanboys!!

Thanks

< Message edited by Jafele -- 1/26/2016 6:18:05 PM >

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 126
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 1/26/2016 5:30:07 PM   
Crossroads

Ha. Fanboys of the world, unite!

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 127
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 1/26/2016 6:57:26 PM   
comte

Wow looking good can't wait for VN

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 128
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 1/30/2016 7:35:30 AM   
Crossroads

As part of the work in putting the official 1.02 UPDATE together, we're busy giving the 3D terrain tiles a quick touch-up too. Having given the 2D tiles a bit more washed out look, we're applying the same to 3D terrain as well.

This way, the units which remain as they are will stand out better, even when No Unit Bases option is used:

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 129
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 1/30/2016 11:00:09 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

As part of the work in putting the official 1.02 UPDATE together, we're busy giving the 3D terrain tiles a quick touch-up too. Having given the 2D tiles a bit more washed out look, we're applying the same to 3D terrain as well.

This way, the units which remain as they are will stand out better, even when No Unit Bases option is used:

Switching Unit Thermometers ON makes locating them out from a big map a bit easier, too:

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 130
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 1/30/2016 2:45:12 PM   
carll11

Q re: VN, how do you plan on handling sappers and special movement techniques or bonuses for VC/NVA units? just wondering...

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 131
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 1/30/2016 3:01:51 PM   
dox44

never know until you ask department.

are counters, like in VN preview picture, available for CSME?

thanks

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 132
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 1/30/2016 3:34:58 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: casebier

are counters, like in VN preview picture, available for CSME?

For CSME, not yet. They eventually will be, but not until after VN is first released.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to dox44)
Post #: 133
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/22/2016 4:55:45 AM   
Crossroads

Work with CS:Vietnam continues, with Chinese OoBs and 3D graphics completed. The 3D graphics continue to be lovingly handpainted by Warhorse and papalazaru5, and now the boardgame view fans get to enjoy them too, as the new 2D Graphical Units option.

Here's a test I did with some of the units finished. The 3D tiles are reduced in size to some 60% of originals but still look quite nice on top of 2D counters don't they.

The image is a result of resize + white outlines having been put to place. Once done, I will then have a look at the contrast, desaturation and lightness settings for the finished article.

White outlines are important as the 2D unit graphics and counters continue to be decoupled, so if anyone wants to mod the counters say with a camo pattern, the units would still stand out from them.

Once the Chinese set is completed, it is the US next. Looking forward to post more sneak peeks as we go along.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 134
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/22/2016 4:03:07 PM   
harry_vdk

quote:

Work with CS:Vietnam continues, with Chinese OoBs and 3D graphics completed. The 3D graphics continue to be lovingly handpainted by Warhorse and papalazaru5, and now the boardgame view fans get to enjoy them too, as the new 2D Graphical Units option.

Here's a test I did with some of the units finished. The 3D tiles are reduced in size to some 60% of originals but still look quite nice on top of 2D counters don't they.

The image is a result of resize + white outlines having been put to place. Once done, I will then have a look at the contrast, desaturation and lightness settings for the finished article.

White outlines are important as the 2D unit graphics and counters continue to be decoupled, so if anyone wants to mod the counters say with a camo pattern, the units would still stand out from them.

Once the Chinese set is completed, it is the US next. Looking forward to post more sneak peeks as we go along.

Look great, will this type of counter also available on the 3D views?

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 135
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/22/2016 4:22:40 PM   
Crossroads

Hello harry_vdk!

Yes, all those unit profiles in the "boardgame counters" are resized "3D miniatures" from the Chinese set of graphics files.

(in reply to harry_vdk)
Post #: 136
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/23/2016 1:46:28 AM   
budd

Are the black counters going to be in the game?

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 137
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/23/2016 5:55:21 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: **budd**

Are the black counters going to be in the game?

That would require a separate mod. There might be time for creating one done in the spirit of PanzerBlitz / Arab-Israeli Wars where vehicles are profiles but guns and infantry symbols.

How'd that sound?

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 138
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/24/2016 4:04:47 AM   
budd

Guess its not as simple as taking the color out of the red counter ones I'm not a board gamer the stick guns dont really appeal to me..sorry.. got real partial to the black ones in ME.I appreciate your efforts, regardless of the counters i will be buying the game.....i mean whatever hurries you guys up to get to WW2.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 139
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 2/24/2016 6:26:03 PM   
Crossroads

Cheers budd, I am quite partial to those black profiles myself, I will certainly see what's possible. Let us revisit this once we're closer to release

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 140
RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 3/21/2016 7:23:40 PM   
berto

Some recent posts at the Dev Forum...

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

I have the mock-up, placeholder Ditch and Ridge 2D graphics done. Next is the coding.

quote:

I'm now working on the main.pdt and movement.pdt edits. Tricky stuff. Lots of CSlint work, and special Perl scripting.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

Like this?

On second look, that is too reddish.

In any case, I'm sure that Petri will need to desaturate and tone down the RedDirt 2D as shown here:

More important than absolute "accuracy", it's got to look good!

[Note: The MinorCanal's will be narrower than depicted.]

quote:

Behold!

It displays properly when flipped, too.

Not quite done yet. There are a very few strange intersection glitches, but absent my perfecting the code, any glitches are easily worked around by judicious use of the WaterBlockSide and compromises here and there.

I still need to work on intersecting MinorRiver's and Stream's with the new waterway types, also to full Water & Shallow hexes.

But, imagine the possibilities.

It's going to look even more awesome once Petri implements the proper wavy MajorRiver* and River* graphics. (The above is a combination of Canal* and River* types, with -- for now -- the latter looking exactly like the former.) And after Petri thins the non-Major types.

[Some of the waterway intersections in the previous screenshot were subsequently cleaned up by judicious application of the WaterBlockSide.)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Now that is magnificent!!

quote:

With the new waterway types, the forthcoming, new-and-improved Campaign Series: It's a Whole New World!

quote:

Holy cr@p

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

Yeah, baby!!

quote:

quote:

I will be posting follow-up instructions and explanations in the days ahead.

To get the ball rolling (and after you download, install, etc; else wait for Jason's next full install), in ME, you might load up the sample map file NewTerrainsTest2.map:

The new terrains are:

• WaterBlockSide (blue circles).

Using the NewTerrainsTest2.map as your test bed, else creating your own new test map, try creating your own Water World, with an assortment of Water, Shallow & MajorCanal hexes. Paying special attention to hex and waterway intersections, try applying the WaterBlock hexside as indicated by some of the examples. (I didn't blue circle all uses of the WaterBlockSide. Just enough examples to give you the idea.) Try this, try that. Remember to Undo (Ctrl-U) and retry as necessary.

With enough practice, you will get the hang of it.

Not all of the waterway intersections are perfect; not all of them are aesthetically pleasing. This is where Petri takes over.

Try Rotating the map. Try the different Zoom modes.

Note that in 3D, the MajorCanal hexes still display as full Water hexes. This is where Paul takes over. We will need to work with Paul, and Paul and Petri will have to work together, to coordinate the 2D & 3D waterway depictions. Our aim should be to have them, in their own fashion, look as much alike as possible. We are under tight time constraint. Improving the 2D should be possible, but perfecting the 3D, and perfectly coordinating 2D & 3D, might be beyond our capabilities in the near term...

• RidgeSide (magenta circles & ellipses).

For now, Ridges display as Dunes. You will note the new graphics files

Those are merely copies of their Dunes counterparts, appropriately renamed. The code references those *Ridge* named files. But Paul (and ?) will need to redo the graphics.

In the screenshot, you see the 2D Ridge graphics. Those are mock-ups. I merely stole the existing Dunes 2D graphics. I'm sure that Petri can do better. (And Petri, you will want to improve the Ridge toolbar icon (circled in magenta) to something prettier, and better matching. I will supply you the latest toolbar*.bmp files in due course.)

Try the different 3D Zoom modes to see how Ridges currently display as Dunes. We will want them to look more like actual hard ridges of course. To be worked out.

• DitchSide (green circles & ellipses).

For now, Ditches display in 2D as blackened MinorRiver's. You will note the new graphics files

Those new 3D files are merely copies of their Gullies counterparts, appropriately renamed. The code references those *Ditches* named files. But Paul (and ?) will need to redo the graphics.

In the screenshot, you see the 2D Ditch graphics. Those are mock-ups. I merely stole the existing MinorRiver 2D graphics, and darkened them. I'm sure that Petri can do better. (And Petri, you will want to improve the Ditch toolbar icon (circled in green) to something prettier, and better matching. I will supply you the latest toolbar*.bmp files in due course.)

Try the different 3D Zoom modes to see how Ditches currently display as Gullies. We will want them to look more like actual ditches of course. To be worked out.

• quote:

quote:

Campaign Series: Vietnam Extras 20160311 released.

In support of the new terrain types, new data ...

These data are still works-in-progress all, all still subject to tweaking and change. In the graphics threads and elsewhere, I will be posting follow-up instructions and explanations in the days ahead.

This post will inaugurate a discussion of the new main.pdt & movement.pdt values, then a discussion of recent coding changes. Please refrain from comments until I can finish my series of posts.

For both ME & VN, the new terrain types are

• MajorCanalHex [new to VN, already in ME 1.01 & before]
  • MajorCanalShallowHex
  • CanalHex [new to VN, already in ME 1.01 & before]
  • CanalShallowHex
  • MajorRiverHex [new to VN, already in ME 1.01 & before]
  • MajorRiverShallowHex
  • RiverHex [new to VN, already in ME 1.01 & before]
  • RiverShallowHex
  • RedDirtHex

And the new hexsides are

• DitchSide [new to both ME & VN]
  • RidgeSide [new to both ME & VN]
  • WaterBlockSide [new to both ME & VN]

In general, as a starting point, I have values, and the effects of

• the new waterway non-Shallow types equivalent to WaterHex
  • the new waterway Shallow types equivalent to ShallowHex
  • RedDirtHex equivalent to SoftSandHex

and

• DitchSide equivalent to GullySide
  • RidgeSide equivalent to DuneSide
  • WaterBlockSide with no real equivalent (new special case)

We can tweak the new terrain & hexside values, and special code, to further differentiate the new types. But the above equivalances form an initial basis.

• quote:

quote:

[To be continued. No comments yet, please, until I am finished with my series of posts.]

I am now done laying out the code & data in re the new terrain types.

You may now resume commenting, questioning, suggesting, etc.

Thank you for your patience!

Works-in-progress all, all still subject to change.

We've been busy!

< Message edited by berto -- 3/21/2016 8:23:31 PM >

Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
    Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Crossroads)
    Post #: 141
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 3/21/2016 7:39:54 PM   
    Crossroads

Ridges and (Anti-tank) Ditches are a very welcome addition to our terrain tiles.

Also, now there should be an end to the age-old argument whether hex-side or in-hex rivers are the way to go. As the map designer can now have either, or both of them.

Graphics are still place-holders for most part. More to come!

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 142
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 3/21/2016 7:54:45 PM   
    berto

Not so much, or at all, in Middle East; but in Vietnam (and beyond), we can no longer limit ourselves to the legacy standard

• Water, Shallow hexes
  • River (newly renamed MinorRiver), Stream hexsides

Especially for Vietnam, with all of its many canals & rivers, with widely varying widths, deep vs. shallow, etc., and all of its many riverine units.

We need them all, and we won't settle for less!

< Message edited by berto -- 3/21/2016 9:10:45 PM >

(in reply to Crossroads)
  • Post #: 143
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 3/21/2016 8:18:25 PM   
    berto

This:

quote:

Also, now there should be an end to the age-old argument whether hex-side or in-hex rivers are the way to go. As the map designer can now have either, or both of them.

(in reply to Crossroads)
    Post #: 144
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 3/22/2016 7:57:22 AM   
    K K Rossokolski

Being now allowed to comment, I would like to see the canals a little narrower; the width of the unsealed road is good.

Cheers
    Rod Coles...KKR

"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future."
    Yogi Berra

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 145
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 3/29/2016 1:29:27 PM   
    Crossroads

quote:

Ridges and (Anti-tank) Ditches are a very welcome addition to our terrain tiles.

Graphics are still place-holders for most part. More to come!

Now that we have Ridges, or Crests as we ended up naming them, I can finish up the Ode to Arab-Israeli Wars terrain mod with reddish Ridge/Crest markers. In the original game, Crests were dark brown while Ridges with a reddish hue similar to below, but here it is one color only. Seeing is believing, here they are, both Dunes and Ridges:

Meanwhile, Jason's been busy updating for instance the Golan maps with actual Anti-tank Ditches where a workaround was needed earlier.

(in reply to Crossroads)
    Post #: 146
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 3/29/2016 1:41:49 PM   
    Crossroads

quote:

Meanwhile, Jason's been busy updating for instance the Golan maps with actual Anti-tank Ditches where a workaround was needed earlier.

Something like this (work in progress as always):

(in reply to Crossroads)
    Post #: 147
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 3/29/2016 2:38:42 PM   
    berto

Such a nice addition to the CS map maker's toolkit!

< Message edited by berto -- 3/29/2016 2:42:04 PM >

(in reply to Crossroads)
    Post #: 148
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 4/1/2016 4:19:32 PM   
    carll11

Any word on 'hull down' options?

;)

(in reply to berto)
    Post #: 149
    RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress - 5/6/2016 9:27:12 PM   
    berto

The opening screenshot from Scenario #8 of 24 new scenarios in the Alan R. Arvold Ode To Arab-Israeli Wars mod -- available in the forthcoming ME 1.02 Open Beta UPDATE (and all future updates).

Nice. I think I have here a good scenario for my next A/I study.

(in reply to carll11)
    Post #: 150
    Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Campaign Series: Middle East 1948-1985 >> RE: Sneak Peeks, Coming Attractions, Works-In-Progress Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI