Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitE 2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: WitE 2 Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 9:11:36 AM   
HMSWarspite

Ok, so you presumably think that your panzer division should be able to penetrate those positions faster and break out the other side without engaging the enemy in any serious way? Why do you think this?

I don't know of any case where this sort of extremely thin but deep defense was tried in RL and thus am not sure what this would represent in RL. So I think we are short of data here. In effect it must be small detachments of defenders scattered at every tactical blocking point... 30 min delay here, an hour there... Oh, and the 2nd and 3rd examples include river crossings being slower when enemy can interfere (however lightly) than when they are nowhere near.

Having said this, I could penetrate this defense and destroy some units very easily with the two units in your pictures... Just attack the defenders with the first one, and drive through the hole with the second... WitE has no combat delays and it isn't as if we have a separate combat phase. If we did I would be right with you on the game breaking nature of that ZoC situation.

< Message edited by HMSWarspite -- 6/19/2016 9:17:03 AM >

I have a cunning plan, My Lord

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 661
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 9:33:03 AM   
821Bobo

The Airborne bgd is 2500 men strong covering some 64km. That makes 1 man for every 25m. Security regiment is half the size so it is 1 man every 50m. Barely a screen without any reserves. With the mobility of Panzer division they would probably even not notice enemy presence.
Just my point of view, obviously I may be wrong.

(in reply to HMSWarspite)
Post #: 662
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 10:02:20 AM   
Michael T

WARSPITE you still fail to see the purpose/point of my argument. I think the current zoc costs are fine so long as the units creating the zoc's are divisions or more. The problem is that small (ant size) units exert the same influence as larger full blown formations. I really don't know how many times I need to say it. You keep missing the point.

Can't you see that if a zoc to zoc cost = X for a division that logically, for a regiment/brigade it should be = X/2

Assuming they are both foot units.

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 663
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 10:02:28 AM   
RedLancer

@Michael, I did expect something a little different as I do understand the rules, however that said it does illustrate the current position for anyone unsure of the case in point.

I make my post without commitment or prejudice (i.e. I promise absolutely nothing!) but I wish to test your argument further:

So if I understand your position you don't think that the rules on entering an enemy ZOC should change. If that is the case can you explain why you believe the same logic shouldn't apply as that for moving between ZOC and ZOC?

Is it only the additional 4 points on moving ZOC to ZOC that you consider excessive when only a Regt is present?

In your screenshot example there is a two hex gap between your static units. If the movement costs were relaxed what costs should apply when a transited hex has more than one enemy unit influencing the ZOC?

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to 821Bobo)
Post #: 664
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 10:43:44 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T

WARSPITE you still fail to see the purpose/point of my argument. I think the current zoc costs are fine so long as the units creating the zoc's are divisions or more. The problem is that small (ant size) units exert the same influence as larger full blown formations. I really don't know how many times I need to say it. You keep missing the point.

Can't you see that if a zoc to zoc cost = X for a division that logically, for a regiment/brigade it should be = X/2

Assuming they are both foot units.

The problem is you are looking at this from a purely game perspective where you know you have a very powerful unit and the opposition couldn't resist if you did attack rather than simply move past them. Lets shift perspective - and take your three instances.

Broadly a Pzr division has been ordered to penetrate quite deep into enemy territory - including crossing an unbridged major river. The divisional commander has been assured by his commanders that there is no organised (ie divisional plus decent artillery) Soviet resistance across his line of march.

So first thing is to push the recon battalion up the road. In each case they brush up against some sort of Soviet presence - Soviet soldiers sleeping off exhaustion at the side of the road, an organised ambush, an accidental clash between patrols. So evidence is sent back (cap badges, papers, rank or unit insignia) and checked. In the meantime, now much more cautiously, the recon bn pushes on - it now is not sure what it is up against, but trusts its orders and its own training. But people are being careful.

Confirmation comes that its a paratroop unit, so tough but lacking heavy weaponry. Units push on, the armoured bns are pretty safe but the HQ and support sections need to be cautious - very vulnerable to ambush?

Its all friction.

Your case C is a nightmare for any unit commander, even if the enemy is weak, a crossing of a major river for a motorised units with no bridge in the face of the enemy. I realise the movement penalty captures some of this, but there is the additional element of nasty uncertainty - again friction.

If WiTE used an order based system (ala Piercing Fortess Europe or the AGE system), I'd be completely with you. But there needs to be something in the game to capture small scale interaction between the moving and passive side?

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 665
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 10:49:11 AM   
RedLancer

Loki100 - I'm not sure Michael is saying that but need him to confirm. If you are moving ZOC to ZOC you are already adjacent to a unit so should know its strength.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 666
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 10:52:04 AM   
timmyab

A simple solution would be to halve the cost of moving into/through ZOC of units below division size.
Not an ideal solution but practical and I would imagine easily implemented.

< Message edited by timmyab -- 6/19/2016 10:55:07 AM >

Post #: 667
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 11:00:48 AM   
Michael T

John what penalty is there for simply entering a zoc? Unless crossing a river? I don't know of any. Its only the case when entering a zoc while crossing a river where you incur an extra penalty. Which is shown in one of the examples.

I have played numerous other operational PC war games and board games. More than 40 years worth. The vast majority of those operational games will differentiate the zoc to zoc costs between what a division exerts and what we term 'ants' (other small units, much smaller than divisions i.e. regiments/brigades).

Most of these other games simply have rules like, that 'ants' exert no zoc to zoc penalty at all. In this respect WITE is on its own. It makes no difference what kind of combat unit is in a hex, ant or division. The zoc to zoc costs are the same.

IMO, to avoid too much added complexity to code, and while offering a marked improvement to operational realism over the existing model, I would simply stick to current conventions used by other games. That being, anything smaller than a division exerts no added MP cost for zoc to zoc movement, or for units crossing a river in to said ant zoc's. I would like to go further but I fear the extra complexity would not get past the coders.

But to be totally frank, anything that the coders could come up with would be an improvement over the existing model. Because the existing model treats all units as having exactly the same stickiness/glue in these circumstances described and shown in the examples.

Lets face it. The game was released in 2010. Looks like WITE 2.0 might be released around 2018? (just a guess). Surely, we can add just a little improvement/accuracy in this one area of operational maneuver.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 668
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 11:14:33 AM   
Michael T

A zoc represents a units partial presence or it's ability to disrupt movement through a hex that is both adjacent to it and devoid of other units.

A division or corp will exert much more presence or disruption to movement in said hex than a regiment or brigade. It's that simple.

All I am asking for is that we see a reduction in MP costs for units moving thru said hexes where the adjacent units are ants.

Why is this concept so difficult to comprehend for some people?

Try this, if walking down the street and a light breeze is blowing in my face my speed of movement will be not be reduced. However if a gale is blowing in to my face I will slow down. In WITE world it matters not that a gale or a light breeze is blowing, my speed is reduced by the same amount.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 669
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 11:22:27 AM   
Michael T

I agree Timmy. But the solution is not the problem here. The problem here is that a few posters don't see any problem at all.

But I think on the whole we have enough who actually do understand to make a case to the devs. In the end it's up to them.

We only aim to improve and evolve the game and bring it a little closer to reality in one small way, nothing more.

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 670
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 11:29:27 AM   
RedLancer

Michael

Remember we are on WitW ruleset as a starter (see screenshot). I'm having deja vu from an earlier discussion with Pelton. We are now past the 'Houston we have a problem' stage. I accept and recognise your point of view. I am now testing the scope of your argument (scientific meaning not angry confrontation).

My questions still stand:

- Do you envisage changes for ZOC to ZOC only.
- If yes - why the difference?
- Do you envisage differing rules if more than one adjacent hex is occupied?

Attachment (1)

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 671
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 11:43:47 AM   
sillyflower

Whilst I think Michael has a good general point (see my earlier posts a few days ago), I'm not sure that there the MP costs in his screenshots are that unreasonable. We are talking about crossing major rivers here - and those Russian jor rivers are huge. Getting a panzer div over one was a massive undertaking because there were few places where they could be bridged, and bridges were serious bits of engineering that could take many months to repair. Getting a troops over in rubber dinghies then later on on rafts etc was very difficult even in peacetime. Even the sort of opposition that light forces could provide would potentially cause heavy casualties and very significant delay. Furthermore, IRL a serious crossing attempt would attract more support for the defenders.

I doubt that the ZOC rules exaggerate the delay, and the move is all done without losing a man unless the defending bit of cardboard is adjacent to the river - and then the losses will still be very light even with a 'held' result. In Wite, follow on units can currently cross the river at little cost without any delay or ZOC factor.

My conclusion is that any reduction in ZOC costs needs to be balanced by increased MP cost of entering enemy held terrain and for river crossings.

Another related factor when comparing wite and witw is that difficult terrain in Russia is much more so than its western counterpart. Where I live the Loire is rightly considered a major river in witw. However the difficulties in crossing it other than by bridge is very minor to those accounts I have read and pictures I have seen of crossing the major rivers in Russia. For some months last year, the Loire around Tours/Samaur looked as if one could drive a tank straight across it.

I know I have somewhat strayed from the pure ZOC point, but I don't see how it can be solved in isolation.The more open the terrain, the more I agree with Michael, but IRL smaller units have much better ZOCs in defensive terrain - taking ZOC to mean the ability to impose delay/friction on the enemy.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 672
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 11:49:45 AM   
loki100

quote:

All I am asking for is that we see a reduction in MP costs for units moving thru said hexes where the adjacent units are ants.

Why is this concept so difficult to comprehend for some people?

... .

In the abstract I agree with you - although I do think there should be friction (which is what you are saying?). My concern is that you looking at this from one side only.

When I first took the gamble of buying WiTE what attracted me most was it seemed to be an electronic reworking of the GDW classics (I think this is wrong in that I seem to recall reading the developers were more inspired by SPI's War in Europe series?).

Anyway. Now I have long since lost my copy but if I recall a motorised unit had around 16MP and the potential to expand around 24 (the second movement phase was reduced?) across a turn - and the combat phase didn't cost movement points. In the WiTE/WiTW/WiTE2 universe it is easy to get a motorised unit up to 40+ (my experience with both the later games is the most you need to do is rest a unit for a turn or so). Now in the context of an igo-ugo game design that is a huge capacity for the moving side and one that the defending side can't react against.

so it maybe that an imperfect zoc rule is actually the best balance solution for allowing the sort of movement capacity denied in many older operational games? Especially if I am right in my suspicion that independent brigades on map will be less of an issue in WiTE2 (of course you could be perfectly right in your suspicion that this is the 'best' option and the one that most Soviet players will pursue)?

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 673
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 1:53:46 PM   
Michael T

John, I have answered those questions several times over.

zoc to zoc, yes change from +4 to zero if the only unit(s) exerting the zoc are reg/brigades.

Also when crossing a river (major or minor) in to a zoc OR from zoc to zoc reduce the MP cost if the unit(s) are reg/brigades. Reduced to 50% of current costs.

Look, I don't know what the most optimal solution is. But I do think that the costs for entering a zoc when crossing a river should be reduced if the zoc is produced by a reg/brigade.

Guys, and this is to all those who are fighting this request for a change here.

Why is it, that you think a regiment should exert the same strength of zoc as an entire stack of divisions. Because that is what you are defending. That is what you are saying is ok, and does not require any improvement.

This is the key point here. Not what the solution is.

I say there should be a difference in zoc costs between ants and big formations.

You guys are saying no there should not be. So you are saying the power of the unit exerting the zoc has no relevance to the MP penalty to cross it's zoc. Why is that? Why do you think that?

I am tired of this thing. Totally. Some people get it. Great. Others don't. Well fine. I really can't add anymore.

But I am curious why you thing reg/brigades would have the same degree of stickiness as a fully staked hex of divisions or corps for that matter.

You are saying that a security regiment with maybe on 700 men with rifles has the same zoc power as 3 tank corps with 30000 men and 600 tanks.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 674
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 1:56:13 PM   
notenome

I think that there is a level of abstraction here that is causing some problems. Bc of the hex scale, the WITE decided to not simulate roads (which was the right decision) but this in turn has produced a few consequences.

Mechanized or not, panzer divisions are road bound when it comes to movement. Even if the tanks can go offroad, the constant supply of fuel they need to operate dictates that straying too far from the road network will cause them great dificulties. This feeds into the utility of blocking detachments, no matter how small (see Rauss's KV example I gave above). On the other hand, choosing alternative roads was a strategy the Germans frequently took in order to bypass blocks. Guderian gives an example of this in his book: in order to bypass a blocking detachment on the road to Minsk his spearhead took a secondary road.

Because the game doesn't simulate roads (which is the right thing to do), we have to abstract. ZOC costs aren't necessarily direct interference from a unit (they can be that as well) but also an abstraction of the costs of taking sub-par roads and routes instead of the best/most direct path.

That said I still do largely agree with the penalty being variable based on unit size, but not stricly determined by it. It seems a check may actually be the solution.

< Message edited by notenome -- 6/19/2016 2:11:26 PM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 675
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 2:37:27 PM   
Dinglir

As I see it the movement costs of moving in the vicinity an enemy unit is (or rather "should be") based on several diffenrent factors:

1) The size of the enemy unit. A full division will have more long range artillery to engage, even at long distances. You wouldn't want to start moving your trucks to much if the enemy is able to quickly bring a lot of 152mm artillery pieces to bear on them. Rather than an automatic MP cost, this may be handled as an automatic "artillery interdiction attack" that may cost MP's if succesfull.

2) The status of enemy air presence and doctrine in the area. If my enemy has air presence in the area, he can observe my movement and report that to his air forces (even if this was before the proper use of Forward Air Controller's). In fact, movement should often lead to an automatic interdiction attack by enemy airpower, costing me even more MP's. Some nations should obviously be better at this than others.

I think that handling the above situations as "automatic interdiction attacks" could be handled well by the programming.

I also see other factors that will impact the MP cost:

3) The type of enemy unit. Assume I'm Soviet moving next to a german unit. I'd be a lot more careful if this unit is a panzer unit than I would if it is a static division without any transport. The reason for this is that the panzers are quickly able to "countermove" and create some very nasty responses to my movement.

4) The amount of information (ie detection level) I have on the enemy. If I don't know what I'm facing, I'm not able to prepare properly for what might happen. Consequently, I need to be a lot more careful.

Point 3) and 4) would add up to a cost based on a combination of my detection level and the type of enemy unit.

The total MP loss would then be automatically calculated when moving your unit in the enemy zoc.

But I guess it's up to the programmers to make a decision on what is possible without causing to much lag.

To be is to do -- Socrates
To do is to be -- Jean-Paul Sartre
Do be do be do -- Frank Sinatra

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 676
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 4:18:56 PM   
MechFO

A foot mobile brigades/regiments sphere of influence is maybe 7-8 km across at maximum, at least if it wants to maintain ANY defensive capability (which unit commanders normally want to do).

It has neither the mobility nor the means to reach out any further. Neither does it have the ability to push much more than a company or 2 forward into the surrounding 600km2 (or 300km2 if taking into account only most likely axis of advance), and if they are pushed forward vs. an enemy with superior mobility they are at risk if being lost or bypassed. Those companies spheres are maybe 1km2, max.

In combat order that brigade/regiment will advance maybe 2-3 km/hour (being generous), ample time for any reaction, especially by a mechanized force, and very vulnerable to counter attack or artillery.

Them being able to influence movement so far away does not make sense.

The unit setup that michael shows above does not make sense in any kind of real world situation, yet makes perfect sense in WITE, which should indicate that something fundamental is wrong with the ZOC mechanic.

ZOC mobility costs can f.e. be because of:

- use of alternative roads
- necessity of screening + having reserves or extra tasking of reserve function to transiting units
- increased readiness or combat order instead of march order
etc.

However all of the above will be made due to threat assessment, and a foot mobile company stranded somewhere is not going to send anybody into big bursts of activity.

< Message edited by MechFO -- 6/19/2016 4:39:39 PM >

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 677
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 4:59:51 PM   
MechFO

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Lancer

Michael

Remember we are on WitW ruleset as a starter (see screenshot). I'm having deja vu from an earlier discussion with Pelton. We are now past the 'Houston we have a problem' stage. I accept and recognise your point of view. I am now testing the scope of your argument (scientific meaning not angry confrontation).

My questions still stand:

- Do you envisage changes for ZOC to ZOC only.
- If yes - why the difference?
- Do you envisage differing rules if more than one adjacent hex is occupied?

Easiest would be to just take ZOC away from non-Mot Brigades/Regiments. Since HQ do not exert ZOC, there must be a toggle somewhere. Or even just make the toggle accessible in the Editor.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 678
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 5:33:32 PM   
RedLancer

quote:

This is the key point here. Not what the solution is.

...but for the Devs the solution is everything. Asking for a change is quite acceptable. Expecting the risk inherent with such a change to be accepted off pat is not. I'm sure that the solution suggested by MechFO is the easiest but any change impacts all that we know about game balance. Any change has to be thought through to the finish.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 679
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 6:45:36 PM   
HMSWarspite

But lets get back to my issue. What do we expect a Panzer div to be able to do in these situations? It is easy to say that an anomaly exists when a regt imposes a similar delay to a division (same ZOC rules) but how much of an issue is it at game scale? Lets take the first example in Michael T's pictures (this avoids the extra issue of a river crossing close to the enemy). The Panzer division crosses a river (and drives 10 miles), and then drives 20 miles further. It then penetrates a (very light) defensive belt, for a further 30 miles, crossing a minor river in the process. And in fact it is this minor river than halts further movement as it would be home free without this if I can count, and able to go another 10-20 miles. So, 60 miles into enemy territory, half of which has some troops in, and crosses 2 rivers in a week, and with a unit that is not absolutely at full supply (47 vs 50MP). What examples have we got of that in RL, and how short of distance are we? Do we want to go through that belt as if it isn't there?

It is worth noting that, yes the para Bde probably only present on 1/4 or 1/3 of the frontage it covers. However no one has mentioned that the Panzer div has a frontage and a volume as well. It also has second echelon frorces, Btn HQs, supply trucks, soft skin vehicles etc. Now, it could squeeze itself through gaps on a 1 btn front (in which case it becomes very long and thin). The game doesnt allow the division the change shape like that, ad so we need to be ever so carefully allowing massive moves through zones like this.

However, my opinion isnt worth anything in this debate. What historical evidence is there - either doctrinal, or real war, that says what should happen in this case? I have not got time to research at the moment, but I think the fastest 'normal' sustained advance in WW2 was about 30 miles a day, without major geographic obstacles or enemy resistance. Maybe opening of Barbarossa was faster?

< Message edited by HMSWarspite -- 6/19/2016 8:13:54 PM >

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 680
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 9:07:11 PM   
MechFO

quote:

ORIGINAL: HMSWarspite
It then penetrates a (very light) defensive belt, for a further 30 miles, crossing a minor river in the process. And in fact it is this minor river than halts further movement as it would be home free without this if I can count, and able to go another 10-20 miles. So, 60 miles into enemy territory, half of which has some troops in, and crosses 2 rivers in a week, and with a unit that is not absolutely at full supply (47 vs 50MP). What examples have we got of that in RL, and how short of distance are we? Do we want to go through that belt as if it isn't there?

A hex is 10km not miles IIRC.

20km per Regiment is about what the Axis defenders on the shoulders were covering in Uranus, but this was a fairly continues albeit thinly held belt.

In Michaels example I don't see a defensive belt. It's is a series of widely spaced out immobile unsupported units. If one wants to make a Uranus defence, then put ants in the intervening areas which force an attack, and appropriate delay and most importantly, exposes the defender to defeat in detail for little return. If this is really deemed desirable then by all means allow the breakdown of brigades. However I doubt anybody would do it, because it makes no sense in nearly all cases.

Right now those brigades have the best of both worlds, defend as compact units, delay without any risk as if they were thinly scraped across the landscape.

It should be either or.

quote:

It is worth noting that, yes the para Bde probably only present on 1/4 or 1/3 of the frontage it covers. However no one has mentioned that the Panzer div has a frontage and a volume as well. It also has second echelon frorces, Btn HQs, supply trucks, soft skin vehicles etc. Now, it could squeeze itself through gaps on a 1 btn front (in which case it becomes very long and thin). The game doesnt allow the division the change shape like that, ad so we need to be ever so carefully allowing massive moves through zones like this.

I've never heard of a 10km march frontage for a battalion, but that just me. Yes, you are correct that part of the panzer division is somewhere in aether, but the gap is still easily 15km wide, which is huge. Which is why nobody would use a deployment as depicted.

Either more spread out, a true screen, or more compact.

quote:

However, my opinion isnt worth anything in this debate. What historical evidence is there - either doctrinal, or real war, that says what should happen in this case? I have not got time to research at the moment, but I think the fastest 'normal' sustained advance in WW2 was about 30 miles a day, without major geographic obstacles or enemy resistance. Maybe opening of Barbarossa was faster?

IIRC the above is from WA in Northern Europe after the break out. Barbarossa AGC was 30km/day in the first three weeks, including the border battles.

< Message edited by MechFO -- 6/19/2016 9:21:49 PM >

Post #: 681
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 10:09:53 PM   
HMSWarspite

quote:

ORIGINAL: MechFO

quote:

It then penetrates a (very light) defensive belt, for a further 30 miles, crossing a minor river in the process. And in fact it is this minor river than halts further movement as it would be home free without this if I can count, and able to go another 10-20 miles. So, 60 miles into enemy territory, half of which has some troops in, and crosses 2 rivers in a week, and with a unit that is not absolutely at full supply (47 vs 50MP). What examples have we got of that in RL, and how short of distance are we? Do we want to go through that belt as if it isn't there?

From the manual, para 2.2, a hex is 10 miles

quote:

20km per Regiment is about what the Axis defenders on the shoulders were covering in Uranus, but this was a fairly continues albeit thinly held belt.

In Michaels example I don't see a defensive belt. It's is a series of widely spaced out immobile unsupported units. If one wants to make a Uranus defence, then put ants in the intervening areas which force an attack, and appropriate delay and most importantly, exposes the defender to defeat in detail for little return. If this is really deemed desirable then by all means allow the breakdown of brigades. However I doubt anybody would do it, because it makes no sense in nearly all cases.

Right now those brigades have the best of both worlds, defend as compact units, delay without any risk as if they were thinly scraped across the landscape.

It should be either or.

But any defence less dense than 1 brigade per 10 miles will have to be like this (within the game). There is no other way of doing it. And they have only the best of both worlds if they cant be quickly defeated by the Panzer div.
quote:

quote:

I've never heard of a 10km march frontage for a battalion, but that just me. Yes, you are correct that part of the panzer division is somewhere in aether, but the gap is still easily 15km wide, which is huge. Which is why nobody would use a deployment as depicted.

Who said anything about a 10km march frontage for a battalion? I meant that whilst a division could advance on a 1km frontage in theory, in reality it has a much wider front and cannot slip through small gaps in defence lines
quote:

quote:

IIRC the above is from WA in Northern Europe after the break out. Barbarossa AGC was 30km/day in the first three weeks, including the border battles.

Barbarossa (first turn at least) has special rules in the game so we should not compare normal game rules with the first week. Only examples from after that are applicable.

I am not arguing that the situation is ideal at present. I am just advocating caution before a great deal of effort is spent on changing a rule that, I think, makes little actual difference in game. I think the defense like the one illustrated is easily sorted by attacking the brigades with the first unit and not bypassing them. They will rout if not worse, and then the follow on units can drive through at full speed. I would love the opportunity to chew up all those units, or pocket them.

Back to the Zocs. WHat Zoc should a stack of 2 Bdes have? what about 2 Bdes with TOE of 50% each? What about a division with TOE of 33%?

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 682
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 10:37:30 PM   
Michael T

Thanks Mechfo, what you said was well put.

John, I think the easiest improvement is to simply do what Mechfo said.
quote:

Easiest would be to just take ZOC away from non-Mot Brigades/Regiments

I agree with this. I have said as much previously. Sure more complex methods could be devised. But they would not fly with the devs.

What would the effect be? Players would no longer be able to deploy totally unrealistic defensive/delay carpets/lines base on ants. They would have to use larger units. OR use more ants that form continuous lines. Either way you make the ant zoc carpet a thing of the past. In one swoop you remove a ridiculous defensive technique. And move WITE 2.0 up in the scale of realism.

The flip side is, you say removing zocs from these units will unbalance the game. IMO no it won't. Players will still have the resources to build effective defenses. But they will have to be more selective. Not simply blanket the map with a carpet of ants.

Post #: 683
RE: WitE 2 - 6/19/2016 10:53:34 PM   
MechFO

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MechFO

quote:

From the manual, para 2.2, a hex is 10 miles

Thank you. This makes the situation in Michaels example even more ridiculous. Fairly compact units along 7-8km (they are defending with full strength when attacked) with gaps 20-25km are supposed to be able to "screen" a front of 30km.

quote:

It should be either or.

quote:

But any defence less dense than 1 brigade per 10 miles will have to be like this (within the game). There is no other way of doing it. And they have only the best of both worlds if they cant be quickly defeated by the Panzer div.

Why is it necessary? If you don't have the necessary units you shorten the line, refuse a flank, or accept the fact you can't cover it effectively. We are not modelling NA here but WITE. Unit densities should be sufficient, and if you really feel it's a problem, as mentioned, then advocate allowing brigades to break down. I don't think it's necessary, but I don't think it would be a huge problem either.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who said anything about a 10km march frontage for a battalion? I meant that whilst a division could advance on a 1km frontage in theory, in reality it has a much wider front and cannot slip through small gaps in defence lines

I don't understand what your point is. The gap is 20-25 km across, with no possible method of intervention without several hours of warning by any neighbouring unit. This is plenty of space by any measure.

quote:

quote:

Barbarossa (first turn at least) has special rules in the game so we should not compare normal game rules with the first week. Only examples from after that are applicable.

Quick perusal shows Smolensk battles has several instances of penetrations with 50-70km in 2-3 days but with heavy fighting. It incidently also shows battalions having frontages of up to 10km, and getting chewed up as a result. I wonder why. Obviously they had the power of the entire division with them when attacked.

quote:

I am not arguing that the situation is ideal at present. I am just advocating caution before a great deal of effort is spent on changing a rule that, I think, makes little actual difference in game. I think the defense like the one illustrated is easily sorted by attacking the brigades with the first unit and not bypassing them. They will rout if not worse, and then the follow on units can drive through at full speed. I would love the opportunity to chew up all those units, or pocket them.

Back to the Zocs. WHat Zoc should a stack of 2 Bdes have? what about 2 Bdes with TOE of 50% each? What about a division with TOE of 33%?

I'm not looking for the perfect solution, just one that disables one of the gamiest and most ridiculous of tactics.

AIUI the rule can be changed without much effort, as some kind of toggle already exists.

2 Bde would still have no ZOC, again still no arty and player clearly has choice between "screen" and "strongpoint". Understrength division, obviously would still have one since I doubt the toggle is dynamic.

< Message edited by MechFO -- 6/19/2016 11:04:25 PM >

Post #: 684
RE: WitE 2 - 6/20/2016 1:27:35 AM   
chaos45

I guess my other question is if this "ant" is in the way and exerting a zoc that is going to cost you 8 MP to move through why arent u just using a hasty attack to push it out of the way and maybe even rout/shatter it.......As that is the quickest in manner of MP expenditure way of removing this impediment.....ohhh because you want to encircle them to get the 100% surrender while they stand there doing nothing in an IGO UGO game is why......

I dont see the big deal other than some people just want to game the system more...you can already easily herd defending units into pockets if you use some timing/skill/and cycling of unit movement even with carpet defenses and current Zoc penalties......so IMO its not an issue. Hasty attacks by full divisions easily deal with ants, it just makes it harder to get all the ants into pockets which is fine and i think more realistic than just driving by them to pocket them all why they stand there looking on in awe.

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 685
RE: WitE 2 - 6/20/2016 6:11:43 AM   
RedLancer

quote:

Thanks Mechfo, what you said was well put.

John, I think the easiest improvement is to simply do what Mechfo said.
quote:

Easiest would be to just take ZOC away from non-Mot Brigades/Regiments

I agree with this. I have said as much previously. Sure more complex methods could be devised. But they would not fly with the devs.

What would the effect be? Players would no longer be able to deploy totally unrealistic defensive/delay carpets/lines base on ants. They would have to use larger units. OR use more ants that form continuous lines. Either way you make the ant zoc carpet a thing of the past. In one swoop you remove a ridiculous defensive technique. And move WITE 2.0 up in the scale of realism.

The flip side is, you say removing zocs from these units will unbalance the game. IMO no it won't. Players will still have the resources to build effective defenses. But they will have to be more selective. Not simply blanket the map with a carpet of ants.

The game must also cater for those who play against the AI. Any change must be AI compatible.

John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 686
RE: WitE 2 - 6/20/2016 7:14:28 AM   
Michael T

I doubt the AI would use a carpet or zoc lock of ant's. But I have never played the AI so maybe someone could confirm that.

(in reply to RedLancer)
Post #: 687
RE: WitE 2 - 6/20/2016 7:27:16 AM   
loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: chaos45

I guess my other question is if this "ant" is in the way and exerting a zoc that is going to cost you 8 MP to move through why arent u just using a hasty attack to push it out of the way and maybe even rout/shatter it.......As that is the quickest in manner of MP expenditure way of removing this impediment.....ohhh because you want to encircle them to get the 100% surrender while they stand there doing nothing in an IGO UGO game is why......

I dont see the big deal other than some people just want to game the system more...you can already easily herd defending units into pockets if you use some timing/skill/and cycling of unit movement even with carpet defenses and current Zoc penalties......so IMO its not an issue. Hasty attacks by full divisions easily deal with ants, it just makes it harder to get all the ants into pockets which is fine and i think more realistic than just driving by them to pocket them all why they stand there looking on in awe.

there is a specific issue for WiTE2 that is not in WiTE. At the moment, unused movement points are converted into 'preparation points' - in effect a % boost to your attacking cv. You can lose these (partially) if you are forced to defend or substantially if you attack (at the moment anything).

So stepping on an ant triggers the loss of (most of) your preparation points.

Its a game system that seems to be evolving a lot (how to gain, how to lose) but I think its going to be important given the practicalities of the new map layout. It also fits with the supply build model pre-offensive and so on. So a well prepared offensive that you have built up for will make inroads. But at a cost - not least the new combat engine means its combat that kills not retreat. I'm doing a test PBEM at the moment and two attacks on a well dug in Soviet position cost me around 10,000 losses (and them not far behind).

But while I have some sympathy for MichealT's argument I think he's on the wrong track. In part, as I've suggested, most brigades, esp for the Soviets in 1941 are better off off-map than on-map. No-one has a clue what the dynamics for 1942 will be (but similar factors will be in play). The other reason is I don't think the real balance issue will have much to do with zoc costs and more to do with the interaction of prep points and combat.

As to the zoc issue, the other way to frame it is that over a certain size of defenders should project a hard zoc (ie you can't move through). It would model one of the Soviet foul ups during Mars when they lost a cavalry corps trying to slip it into the gap between German positions. Of course, it too would change some fundamental interactions embedded into the game balance.

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 688
RE: WitE 2 - 6/20/2016 8:10:28 AM   
HMSWarspite

quote:

ORIGINAL: chaos45

Thank you - my very point.

(in reply to chaos45)
Post #: 689
RE: WitE 2 - 6/20/2016 8:23:05 AM   
HMSWarspite

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

As to the zoc issue, the other way to frame it is that over a certain size of defenders should project a hard zoc (ie you can't move through). It would model one of the Soviet foul ups during Mars when they lost a cavalry corps trying to slip it into the gap between German positions. Of course, it too would change some fundamental interactions embedded into the game balance.

I completely agree with this, it is in fact what would want (rather than the simpler 'regt doesn't do ZoC, Div does' model). The only snag is back to my post that Micheal T didn't seem to understand. Size, defined how? Pure number of men - obviously not right. CV? But a lower CV mobile unit would have less ZoC than a large static one potentially. I would very much go for this system IF it doesn't introduce more issues than it solves, and the AI can play with it (both attacking and defending.

BTW, in all the years that Pelton has been playing the game and pointing out issues (and whatever I feel about his style of post and analysis of the desired outcomes, his detection and highlighting of game issues is very good), I don't recall him ever highlighting diffuse carpets of brigades as an issue. I haven't kept up wit the forum continuously, but he has complained about 3 deep continuous walls (divisions at the front and maybe brigades at the rear), not these 'zoc walls'.

And I still think that at game level this is not a factor. Don't avoid them, attack them. The second division in your attack will go through the resulting hole and away you go... With combat delays, this will change for WITE2, but lots of things will do that and we can't assess the ZOC issue for that game until we can all see it.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 690
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: WitE 2 Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI