Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: quick question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: quick question Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: quick question - 7/4/2016 11:02:48 AM   
vj531

Thanks again Jim.

Its slowly 'sinking' in. NPI
With the goal being a PBEM game in the future. What scenario would be recommended after Guadalcanal?

Ship damage

Any tips on avoiding "no combat" ship damage?
Plagued with lots of Engine/System damage throughout.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Just added *** - Is there any benefit to changing the Target for these unit 'based' @ Port Moresby?

PS Why the * next to INF?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sharper -- 7/4/2016 1:41:07 PM >

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 121
RE: quick question - 7/4/2016 12:54:36 PM   
vj531

I now think I have problems/mix-up with changing HQ's.

Why are they - 1 'Yellow' and - 2 'available' to choose even though I have too few PP's?
I fear I have given many/some of my ground units some very strange HQ's using this anomaly/feature.

In my rush to get boots on the ground earlier in the scenario I fear I cocked-up - This is my favourite
Quite how this would affect the HQ/unit, I'm not sure?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sharper -- 7/4/2016 1:42:12 PM >

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to vj531)
Post #: 122
RE: quick question - 7/4/2016 2:14:40 PM   
obvert

They cost less if they're under the same Command HQ. I think it's 1/3 the usual cost, so you just have enough here to buy that change.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to vj531)
Post #: 123
RE: quick question - 7/4/2016 2:44:10 PM   
vj531

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

They cost less if they're under the same Command HQ. I think it's 1/3 the usual cost, so you just have enough here to buy that change.

Thanks for your reply.

What does this refer to?

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 124
RE: quick question - 7/4/2016 3:19:39 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharper

quote:

Thanks for your reply.

What does this refer to?

What does 'this' in your question refer to?

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to vj531)
Post #: 125
RE: quick question - 7/4/2016 4:35:54 PM   
geofflambert

I believe the "*" means that those units are components of a division and could be merged if all components were present.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 126
RE: quick question - 7/4/2016 5:14:51 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Thanks again Jim.

Its slowly 'sinking' in. NPI
With the goal being a PBEM game in the future. What scenario would be recommended after Guadalcanal?

Ship damage

Any tips on avoiding "no combat" ship damage?
Plagued with lots of Engine/System damage throughout.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Just added *** - Is there any benefit to changing the Target for these unit 'based' @ Port Moresby?

PS Why the * next to INF?

Three questions in one post! You really are in learning mode!

1. Play either the 1000 mile war (Aleutians) or the Marianas game. The former has less carrier involvement and is more of a logistics/reinforcement scenario. The Marianas is fairly short but intense -lots of goodies to play with but a short timeline and lots of logistics. I had to play it three times before I was content that I knew how to handle the juggling involved.

2. Do not run your ships at full speed unless it is an emergency. Very hard on systems and engines. Repair damage in ports whenever you can. Minor engine damage can become major engine damage if left unattended.

3. Prep those units for where you intend to have them fight. If it is PM, prep them all for that.

The asterisk shows that those units are part of a larger entity. Bdes can combine to become a division if they are all assigned to the same Division, have the same equipment, have the same HQ and all pieces of the division are in the same place. On the unit screen lower left, click on the button labeled "OOB" which will show you which units are part of that larger unit and where they are located.

It looks like you have a problem with HQ assignments if those three Australian Bdes are part of the same Division. They could also have different equipment if one or two of the units have upgraded a device and the others have not.

For heaven's sake, get them all in combat mode. Troops in Strat mode are dead meat in an attack. In combat mode those that have engineers can help build forts and facilities. If the Japanese damage the airfield the troops themselves will contribute to repair of the runways only.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to vj531)
Post #: 127
RE: quick question - 7/4/2016 5:24:39 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Close - the figure is 25% to change HQs to another HQ under the same higher HQ.

Unfortunately Alaska Defence Command is not part of any command involved in the Guadalcanal battles, so you will have to pay full PP to change it back to one you can use. Make sure it is an UNRETRICTED HQ (one that does NOT have an [R] after the name).

In your first screenshot the Australia Command and sub-HQs are shown as available because you have enough PP to change the unit HQ at 1/4 of the full cost.
But Australia Command is restricted, so you would not be able to put the troops on ships if you assign the unit to a sub-HQ of Australia Command.
When you have enough PP to pay full price, go to SWPAC command and assign the unit to one of the unrestricted HQs there, preferably one that is prepping for the same target and might be moved there to help with the battles. (Think of the RL 1st Marine Div. located with 1st Marine HQ on Guadalcanal.)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 128
RE: quick question - 7/4/2016 6:48:05 PM   
vj531

Some good reading for the morning - The HQ stuff always confuses .......time to try and make sense of it!

Thanks Jim and everybody!
I'll be back!

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 129
RE: quick question - 7/6/2016 12:37:28 PM   
vj531

Tassafaronga is it worth it?

reported 9000 Ija Vs 5000......

Am reinforcing, bombarding and bombing but........

ALSO
How does one use minelayers?
I send them to a target hex, but nothing seems to happen!

< Message edited by sharper -- 7/6/2016 9:14:09 PM >

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to vj531)
Post #: 130
RE: quick question - 7/7/2016 1:04:53 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Tassafaronga is it worth it?

reported 9000 Ija Vs 5000......

Am reinforcing, bombarding and bombing but........

ALSO
How does one use minelayers?
I send them to a target hex, but nothing seems to happen!

Tassafaronga is not essential for the Allies in terms of Victory Points, but Lunga IS. Being able to take Tassafaronga would remove the threat of the Japanese moving overland to attack YOU, but if the Marines dig in and build forts, they should be able to handle up to 4X their number of Japanese ... if the Marines have supply.
So if you don't think you have the troops to take Tassafaronga, do what the Allies did IRL - dig in, build up, get supply and reinforcements to Lunga and attack the IJN supply chain. Also try to prevent bombardments by attacking his bombarding ships. As in RL the Japanese can grind themselves down against hardened defences including an operational airfield with fighters and bombers.

Minelaying TFs start off set to "Do Not Lay Mines" in their unloading instructions. You must change this to "Lay Mines" and then click the target hex. Don't forget to set "Retirement Allowed" too.

(in reply to vj531)
Post #: 131
RE: quick question - 7/7/2016 6:01:52 PM   
vj531

I took Tassafronga because I could........

But why is there no bloody replacement Mine......typical

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 132
RE: quick question - 7/13/2016 11:49:13 AM   
vj531

AI question.

Playing the Guadalcanal as allies and I'm on 11/11. To say 'it's been very quiet' would be an understatement.

Without giving too much away - it feels like the AI has 'go on holiday'.....

IJN has his whole fleet sitting at Truk..........(I peeked)

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to vj531)
Post #: 133
RE: quick question - 7/13/2016 5:52:22 PM   
BBfanboy

What is your AI question?

(in reply to vj531)
Post #: 134
RE: quick question - 7/13/2016 5:55:33 PM   
vj531

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

What is your AI question?

Does the timescale sound about right?

Japan are very inactive?

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 135
RE: quick question - 7/13/2016 6:13:50 PM   
BBfanboy

Mid November was when the Japanese started their last big push, historically. The big Naval Battles of Guadalcanal were around November 25, when Japan tried to bring in reinforcements and supply under cover of bombardment TFs to shut down Henderson Field. The Bombardment TFs were met by the last USN surface combat ships available and prevented from bombarding Henderson Field, so the next day the dive bombers and torpedo bombers savaged IJN cripples and transports.

That's historical. I don't know if the scripts for this scenario were written to follow that timeline. You may already have had enough successes that the AI cannot execute the scripts it has. For example, since you now have Tassafaronga, the AI cannot do a reinforcement mission there, it would need to have a script defining what is needed for a new Amphib landing. I don't know if such a script exists.

So keep watching Truk for signs of movement and start some offensive operations of you own to win more Victory Points. Can you take anything on New Guinea?

(in reply to vj531)
Post #: 136
RE: quick question - 7/13/2016 6:43:31 PM   
vj531

Will digest and answer properly tomorrow
Thanks Jim

I nearly left Tassafaronga as bait but I hit his transport fleet so hard - I changed my mind!

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 137
RE: quick question - 7/14/2016 9:19:02 AM   
vj531

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Mid November was when the Japanese started their last big push, historically. The big Naval Battles of Guadalcanal were around November 25, when Japan tried to bring in reinforcements and supply under cover of bombardment TFs to shut down Henderson Field. The Bombardment TFs were met by the last USN surface combat ships available and prevented from bombarding Henderson Field, so the next day the dive bombers and torpedo bombers savaged IJN cripples and transports.

That's historical. I don't know if the scripts for this scenario were written to follow that timeline. You may already have had enough successes that the AI cannot execute the scripts it has. For example, since you now have Tassafaronga, the AI cannot do a reinforcement mission there, it would need to have a script defining what is needed for a new Amphib landing. I don't know if such a script exists.

So keep watching Truk for signs of movement and start some offensive operations of you own to win more Victory Points. Can you take anything on New Guinea?

I was probably wondering if the AI was rigid historical or?

New Guinea - I'll bare that in mind.

My main failing has been level bomber management. I opened up portland road to level 4(6) but the early attrition of my B17's let me down.
I wanted to carry a night bombing campaign on Rabaul but it's now fairly toothless and my attention to pilots is poor and muddled.

Two questions.

What are the small green circles surrounding some TF? (lack of endurance is my take)
Also you see some small red lines between TF?

thx

< Message edited by sharper -- 7/14/2016 2:03:52 PM >

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 138
RE: quick question - 7/14/2016 9:52:44 AM   
LeeChard

quote:

Is it plausible to ground attack Tassafaronga from Lunga?

I've done that but it takes a long time get there through the jungle.

(in reply to vj531)
Post #: 139
RE: quick question - 7/14/2016 1:59:23 PM   
vj531

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ranger5355

quote:

Is it plausible to ground attack Tassafaronga from Lunga?

I've done that but it takes a long time get there through the jungle.

Indeed it does but the cost of Amphib landing was very costly - I did both in the end.

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to LeeChard)
Post #: 140
RE: quick question - 7/14/2016 11:03:07 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Two questions.

What are the small green circles surrounding some TF? (lack of endurance is my take)
Also you see some small red lines between TF?

thx

You are correct - a small tight green circle means the TF used up so many operations points that it cannot move, or only move one hex. This most often happens when small ships draw fuel from the bigger ones.

The only red lines between TFs I can think of is during air strikes, when the red line indicates the direction the strike is coming from. If you have two CV TFs striking at each other the red lines would seem to connect them.

(in reply to vj531)
Post #: 141
RE: quick question - 7/18/2016 1:52:06 PM   
vj531

Adjacent hex supply.

Im sure I read that a 'certain' amount of supply is/can be automatically sent?

PS I could have dreamt it, mind!

All the best
Stephen

i5 Win 10 8GB RAM

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 142
RE: quick question - 7/18/2016 3:51:11 PM   
Lecivius

5 pages?

I thought this was a "quick question"

(in reply to vj531)
Post #: 143
RE: quick question - 7/18/2016 4:24:26 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

5 pages?

I believe you have wounded this thread to the quick. Apologize.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 144
RE: quick question - 7/18/2016 4:44:06 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

5 pages?

I believe you have wounded this thread to the quick. Apologize.

Ok, ok, ok...

I apologize for thinking

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 145
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: quick question Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI