Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best Turn Length?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Best Turn Length? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best Turn Length? - 4/14/2003 11:43:04 PM   
mandt

I've been playing UV for a only couple of weeks, and I have been playing single-day turns exclusively.

A lot happens each day, and so I'm not exactly sure how it works when you are playing "two- or three-day long" or "week long" turns

I'd welcome any comments regarding which turn lengths seem to be the best and how they affect play.

Thanks.
Post #: 1
- 4/14/2003 11:53:21 PM   
Mr.Frag

Playing with > 1 results in time compression of things.

Playing against the AI, single day turns are fine as you are there, playing non-stop.

Playing PBEM with single day turns means that you will be playing the single game for in excess of a year! Some folks would prefer to finish a game in their lifetime, so they speed it up with a higher day per turn count.

This has two effects, you have less control as your orders are followed longer without you having an ability to fix mistakes and second, the game progresses at a much faster rate.

To each their own, but until the game routines are optimized better for longer turns, I think 1 day turns are best. Handling of fatigue currently, and air mission especially does not work well, with aircraft flying beyond the point of safe fatigue, resulting in pointless operational losses.

The game's UI needs to be tuned with more options to support longer turns such as a second level of controls ie: Go bomb until fatigue > 50 then rest until fatigue < 10 or fly cap 80% every OTHER turn, or fly supplies to point x every 3rd turn...

Without this level of fine tuning of our current orders, turns longer then 1 day are pointless in my eyes.

(in reply to mandt)
Post #: 2
- 4/15/2003 12:32:35 AM   
Feinder

Everything that Mr. Frag said.

:^)

But yes, Knavey and I play 2-day turns. It's something you have to get used to.

You have to realize that whatever mission you select, that unit (whether it be air, land or sea), is gonna keep doing it for 2 days.

You have to plan a little closer and guessitmate where your TFs will start/end each day.

You have to be very wary of your squadron's fatigue levels, because planes will litterally fly themselves to death. If a squadron's fatigue is pushing over 35, ground them; because if you fly them for 2 more days, their fatigue will be around the mid 40s with a couple of stupidity losses.

Having said the cautions, we actually -like- 2 day turns. It kind of adds an element of chance, as if you really were an operational commander, as you only change your orders every other day. It means that a CV slated to arrive in 44 days, is really only 22 turns away. It also means that we're likely to actually finish our Scen 19, even tho we only get about 1 turn done each night.

One is good, but not practical for us, again considering that we only play 1 turn each night. 2 works well for us. 3 I think would be unmanagible, as you couldn't react to the observed movement of TFs, and fatigue levels for your squadrons would be very high.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to mandt)
Post #: 3
1 day turns - 4/15/2003 3:58:28 AM   
mogami

Hi, U2/Dan and I began a long game in July with 1 day turns. It should reach the end today. (10 months) But really for a PBEM game that is not so bad. The problem is finding someone who will go the distance. If you solve that the rest is not important.

(snail mail chess games often last more then 2 years)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to mandt)
Post #: 4
- 4/15/2003 4:54:45 AM   
Fred98

Yes, playing agauinst the AI, 1 day turns are best. There will be some turns where you hardly need to gave any orders.

Having said that "continous" is excellent in a game against the AI. Then you just stop the game from time to time to issue fresh orders. "Continous" is a great setting but hardly gets a mention.

But PBEM is a different matter. I my games we play 2 day turns. Any longer and you would really have no control.

(in reply to mandt)
Post #: 5
- 4/16/2003 12:14:43 AM   
mandt

Thanks fellas.

(in reply to mandt)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Best Turn Length? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI