Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 6:11:37 PM   
geofflambert

And, since I'm a gorn, a lobster bib.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 721
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 8:52:51 PM   
Zorch

How did this thread get to 25 pages? THAT is a holy miracle, if you ask me

Post #: 722
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 9:10:39 PM   
geofflambert

Twenty five pages? Have you tried to read Sir Isaac Newton's book on gravitation? I have it. Too much for me though.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 723
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 9:34:31 PM   
BillBrown

Is your name Geof Flambert or Geoff Lambert?

Post #: 724
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 9:39:46 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Twenty five pages? Have you tried to read Sir Isaac Newton's book on gravitation? I have it. Too much for me though.

Much too heavy, even for a Gorn.
Now an apple, on the other Gorn grappling device...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 725
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 11:49:08 PM   
geofflambert

Oh stop! I can't even count higher than 25.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 726
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/2/2016 11:57:01 PM   
pws1225

Is that how many pointy bits a gorn has?

Post #: 727
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 12:04:14 AM   
scout1

quote:

Oh stop! I can't even count higher than 25.

If you're limited to counting your fingers and toes, thinking you can't count above 4 .....

Post #: 728
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 12:04:56 AM   
scout1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

Much too heavy, even for a Gorn.
Now an apple, on the other Gorn grappling device...

Does it come with color pictures ?

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 729
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 12:35:03 PM   
geofflambert

There's a Coopers Hawk feeding on something in my back yard right now. I actually saw it fly in but didn't see what it's prey was. After it's done I'll go out and try and figure out what it was from the bones. I think it is either a squirrel or a rabbit. I got a few good stills of it and some video, I'll post some of that later. There's been a couple of hummingbirds watching it with some fascination, perched on some old phone wires.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 730
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 12:46:34 PM   
geofflambert

There's a couple of squirrels watching her now, they're totally exposed, first on top of a garage and now sitting on a fence. They should find a better place to hide, but they may realize it's safe since she's feeding. Now there's a Downy Woodpecker not far away at one of my feeders chirping her head off. She's not worried.

Post #: 731
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 12:48:57 PM   
geofflambert

She's done now and just flew into my maple tree. There's a couple of squirrels in that tree not further than a couple of feet from her. What are they thinking?

Post #: 732
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 1:15:21 PM   
geofflambert

Here's the best still I have of her. The video is quite good and I'll post that once I crop it down and make an animated GIF of it.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 733
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 1:17:23 PM   
geofflambert

Here's the pic I got of the remains. It was starting to rain so I had to work fast. The flies were already all over it.
Definitely rabbit. Red arrow pointing to a paw.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 734
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 1:20:21 PM   
geofflambert

I think I said this on this forum, perhaps this thread, Cooper's Hawks don't kill in the same fashion other raptors do. The others snip the spinal cord at the neck with their beaks. Cooper's just crush the life out of their prey with their talons.

Post #: 735
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 1:32:43 PM   
geofflambert

I just got some more video. She came back. She was perched on a fence and a squirrel came toward her and got within 18 inches or so. That squirrel must've been eating some of the lead flashings on my roof. Lead tastes like sugar. She eyed him but wasn't hungry any more. Wow.

Post #: 736
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 1:42:16 PM   
geofflambert

OMG, she came back again. Is she now my pet hawk? Got some more video of her on a different fence. Still squirrels around behaving as if she's no threat. Turned off the video just before she tried to land on a flat open bird feeder not 20 feet from my face. So beautiful she is.

Post #: 737
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 2:02:15 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

Here's the pic I got of the remains. It was starting to rain so I had to work fast. The flies were already all over it.
Definitely rabbit. Red arrow pointing to a paw.

You know, the expression "the lion's share" originally meant all, not most. I liked it better when it meant "all". This bird took most, anyway.

Post #: 738
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 2:51:56 PM   
Lecivius

Have several Coopers in our neighborhood. I love to watch them. Crows were after one of the young a few months back. Out came the 20G. BOOM. No more crow, but the cops were circling the neighborhood for days

I have a few nosy neighbors (most are cool old farts like me), but Old Injun Trick Unless you're listening & ready, if you hear just one shot you never know what direction it comes from

Post #: 739
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 3:39:25 PM   
geofflambert

So I grant that you might be an old fart (like me), but how do we know if you're cool or not?

Anyways, I went and had breakfast, came back, and the rabbit carcass, what was left of it, was gone. Not pieces of it spread around, I mean gone! We have Opossums around here (even the Irish kind, O'possums) but I never see them in daylight. I do see raccoons in the daylight but mostly at night. Maybe one took it. Or maybe, the hawk thought she was a lion and came back and took it off to put in her freezer for later?

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 740
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 3:42:28 PM   
geofflambert

No, I know what you're thinking. This old gorn had the rest of the carcass for breakfast. No, I did not. I had some chicken noodle soup with a chicken egg dropped in it. I have standards after all.

Post #: 741
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 3:51:45 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

So I grant that you might be an old fart (like me), but how do we know if you're cool or not?

I think I am, so I am. Anyone who thinks otherwise is free to take it up with me What, you like crows?

Anyways...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 742
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 4:09:02 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

No, I know what you're thinking. This old gorn had the rest of the carcass for breakfast. No, I did not. I had some chicken noodle soup with a chicken egg dropped in it. I have standards after all.

I thought my dad was the only one who fortified his soup with an egg! I have tried it though, and it is good.

Change of topic - how do you go about cropping your video and making the GIF? I had a falcon wander around my balcony a couple of weeks ago and took about three minutes of video from quite close up ( as close as four feet). I wanted to post it but the forum would never take such a large file.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 743
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 4:09:42 PM   
geofflambert

Well, when she was dismembering the rabbit, I called up one of my nosy old fart neighbors to alert him to the fact, and he came out and got within I'd guess, 40 feet of her and she gave him no never mind.

I take that expression from Festus Hagen from Gunsmoke (that don't make no never mind). If you never saw him he pronounced his last name with the "a" sounding like a long i, with an Ozark accent, which is where his character was supposedly from. An Ozark accent is thicker than any you've ever heard, whether it be Cockney or Australian. I've known some folks who grew up in the Ozarks and he (the actor) did a pretty good imitation. That actor's name was Ken Curtis and you may have seen him in "The Horse Soldiers" with John Wayne and he had no accent at all (from the perspective of a regular Mid-Westerner like myself, or a gorn for that matter).

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 744
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 4:22:18 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

I thought my dad was the only one who fortified his soup with an egg! I have tried it though, and it is good.

Change of topic - how do you go about cropping your video and making the GIF? I had a falcon wander around my balcony a couple of weeks ago and took about three minutes of video from quite close up ( as close as four feet). I wanted to post it but the forum would never take such a large file.

First, I use a continuous screenshot app, I've been using Screencast-o-matic but there are many others, just take the part I want and publish it as an animated GIF. Next, I open that file with GIMP and with that you can remove frames as needed to get the size of the file down to something in the range of what you could post to this forum.
I first eliminate frames from the beginning and end that are not part of what I want to end up with. Then, if needed, I can remove every other frame, or two of every three to reduce the size further. Next, you can go into the Image menu and resize the whole thing smaller to save more space. Now the initial GIF will have instructions built into each frame as to duration.
If you have eliminated intermediate frames that will necessarily speed up the animation. If you don't like the semifinal result you have to go into each frame and edit that instruction, increasing the duration time (in milliseconds). I can usually produce an animated GIF containing 40 frames or so that will come under the 500kb limit of this forum that is decent.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 745
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 4:25:57 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Was your dad green with a long snout?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 746
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 4:28:52 PM   
BBfanboy

Well acquainted with Gunsmoke, and both Festus and Chester. The Ozark accent is used by movie and TV show makers to indicate someone who grew up in the back country without an education, but thankfully Festus' character was pretty smart about some things to keep the stereotype from being too unkind.

In my neck of the woods there were Native Indians (now called Aboriginals) who were similarly isolated and without much education, but they were definitely smart about staying alive in harsh conditions - especially the coldest winter days. Once you get the notion that manner of speaking does not denote intelligence, you see people a bit differently.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 747
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 4:34:38 PM   
geofflambert

One of the Ozarkers I've known is at least half Cherokee, he's not sure about his dad but he likely was substantially Cherokee as well.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 748
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 6:12:49 PM   
geofflambert

Here's an example of an animated GIF of my hawk picking at his food. You needn't worry about copyright if you use this when scolding your kids about picking at their food.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 749
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/3/2016 6:33:27 PM   
geofflambert

Now, here's the first clip of the interaction between the hawk and a squirrel. Remember, the hawk just devoured a rabbit at least two or three times the size of the squirrel.
You don't see it here, but the squirrel thought about climbing back onto the garage roof, but changed it's mind and approached the hawk on the fence. That squirrel is definitely qualified to be president of a large country.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI