Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How to handle the Sync problem

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How to handle the Sync problem Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How to handle the Sync problem - 8/25/2016 10:09:57 PM   
plund

I am reading about the Sync problem reported by Emek.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4121538

How do most PBEM players deal with the problem? Will the problem work itself out if you continue to play or will there be two divergent versions of the same battle? (i.e. a carrier is sunk in one side but not the other.) It does not sound as though PBEM matches just end when the bug arises. am I wrong?

Is there any absolute way to avoid the sync bug?

If we play a battle but not use the PBEM mode, could we just turn off all the animations and then just rely on the text reports, enter orders for the different sides and save the file from different sides, run the turn, and then just send the file and text reports back and forth? We would not have the security of the password routine and would just trust each side not to peek. Is this arrangement feasible or even possible?
Post #: 1
RE: How to handle the Sync problem - 8/25/2016 11:02:00 PM   
IdahoNYer

The synch bug isn't a war stopper, but it can be frustrating. Been dealing with it my PBEM with L_S_T off and on since we started. We're both on the same version of the game - that's a likely cause sometimes - but we still occasionally have it. Most likely cause when it pops up is the Jpn player exiting an event in the replay early.

Our fix is for the Jpn player to send both the combat report and the pws file to the Allied player. The combat report sent at that time IS accurate. After I do the replay, I then load the combat report (and the combat report with the date) and then run tracker and combat reporter. Both those applications then use the "good" combat report to crunch the data. I've found this works pretty well in accurately showing what happened during the turn.

Guess I'm used to the synch bug after over a year of the PBEM. Sometimes the actual results are even better than what I see in the replay.

(in reply to plund)
Post #: 2
RE: How to handle the Sync problem - 8/25/2016 11:07:04 PM   
BillBrown

As emeks opponent, I have found it to be frustrating. We updated to the latest beta version and
most of the replays have been good. He does send me the combat report text file for me to compare.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 3
RE: How to handle the Sync problem - 8/26/2016 4:01:25 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: plund

I am reading about the Sync problem reported by Emek.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4121538

How do most PBEM players deal with the problem? Will the problem work itself out if you continue to play or will there be two divergent versions of the same battle? (i.e. a carrier is sunk in one side but not the other.) It does not sound as though PBEM matches just end when the bug arises. am I wrong?

Is there any absolute way to avoid the sync bug?

If we play a battle but not use the PBEM mode, could we just turn off all the animations and then just rely on the text reports, enter orders for the different sides and save the file from different sides, run the turn, and then just send the file and text reports back and forth? We would not have the security of the password routine and would just trust each side not to peek. Is this arrangement feasible or even possible?

No, there is no way to avoid it. It just happens.

There's a simple process to handle it when it does happen, however - advance to the next turn. It shouldn't occur on the next turn.

To that end, you will need to know how your replay was different from your opponent's. You can compare the combatreport.txt file, and the replay will be different starting at the point the combatreport.txt file your opponent has is different from what your combatreport.txt file says, or how your combatreport.txt file is different from the information contained in the turn file when you open up the in-game combat report for the previous day with the 'C' key.

Once you've determined the "point of origin" for where the replays are different, just step through everything after that and see how different it is from what you saw, and adjust your actions accordingly. That's really all there is to it.

(in reply to plund)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> How to handle the Sync problem Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI