Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/8/2016 12:41:03 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

No relation to me as far as I know. The "Home of the Throwed Rolls" thing was about how they wouldn't deliver your rolls to your table in the ordinary fashion, you had to fish them out of the air as they were flying by.

Shouldn't that be "as they wuz flyin' by"?

The Moose

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 31
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/8/2016 12:41:59 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

Marky was a good kid...just misunderstood...lol

It scares me to think he could have kids in middle school by now.

The Moose

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 32
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/8/2016 12:44:14 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Two rules of WITP:AE

You do not talk about WITP:AE, and the second rule is that You do not talk about WITP:AE.

Except at the secret place place.

The Moose

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 33
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/8/2016 1:47:07 PM   
Yakface

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ric Carpenter

Remember Helmut?

I certainly remember his 50 aggressive 'looking for opponent' threads

(in reply to RichardCarpenter58)
Post #: 34
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/8/2016 3:05:59 PM   
pmelheck1

I haven't played many games on the Japanese side but I do remember some of the discussions of how easy it was to break Japanese production if you weren't very careful. There were a couple of really good threads on getting the economy fixed once broken and trying to keep it from getting that way along with some charts to help visualize the Japanese economy. I'll let others post the links as I would need to search and I'm sure others have the link saved.

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 35
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/8/2016 4:30:14 PM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Now I really don't understand how Bullwinkle58 qualifies for the old guy's club and I don't. I suspect there are some double double secret entry codes to the clubhouse.

Well, obviously it is because he joined in the previous decade. That makes you a "johnny come lately"...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 36
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 3:35:27 AM   
rogueusmc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogueusmc

Marky was a good kid...just misunderstood...lol

It scares me to think he could have kids in middle school by now.

The A6M could best an F14 at the right altitude...

He would even edit wiki pages to prove it...lol

< Message edited by rogueusmc -- 9/9/2016 3:37:19 AM >

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 37
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 6:10:36 AM   
biggins89

Do you actually think this game is running on clunky AI? There is a reason this forum "terrible and unwelcome", and its not "the old guys". This is a massive game! And it comes with a massive support forum! You don't achieve a post number of 600,000+ by being shallow. Get over the sticker shock, and buy the game. You won't know about AI habits for another year or so anyway. It takes that long to get a feel for the game. Plus, Those "old guys" can help out A LOT as you stumble through.
It has many different scenarios to play, as either side, or against someone else. But, if you don't like the vanilla ones, you can download tons of other scenarios built by..."the old guys". Man, is this great or what? What you don't get is the modern version of hand holding: YouTube videos galore telling you everything to do and not do. You will have to peruse (read) through this forum, or do as I do, just play the game, monitor the forum, and enjoy.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 38
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 6:52:55 AM   
bradfordkay

Wow... this fellow's complaint was enough to bring out a post from Biggins - a man who has only posted four times in the 12 years he has been a member. Surely that is "welcoming" enough for anyone...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to biggins89)
Post #: 39
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 8:46:08 AM   
Rising-Sun

I like to set the grand campaign at AI vs. AI and grab some popcorns and a soda, watch it all day.

Post #: 40
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 12:54:14 PM   
Yaab

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Wow... this fellow's complaint was enough to bring out a post from Biggins - a man who has only posted four times in the 12 years he has been a member. Surely that is "welcoming" enough for anyone...

Guess it is the Guinness World Record for least posts from a registered user ever.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 41
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 12:56:43 PM   
Alpha77

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timotheus

Well, I didn't buy the game, I am waiting for a serious sale.

Link to mods which help the AI please?

Edit: Also, I do not think I can do the the "live opponent" thing. Time commitment, life, gym, lawyering up, chicks, clubbin' and other assorted nonsense would get in the way.

Due to schedule, I would be able to binge on this game for a day or two, and then have to leave it alone for week(s).

I sense a new Marky. And yeah, that's old guy secret code.

What has a "Marky" to do with the OPs question..... See this is the best example some guys are just trolling around here. Guess that you have "Bull" in your username means something, right

To OPs question, I must answer honestly, that the AI at least on the Japanese side is ok in the first half year of the game, but then seems to fall apart (after the orig. agression phase). I won my first two games on either side vs. the AI and I am not an expert player, so one can imagine from this fact how good the AI is....

EDIT: But you should play the AI TO LEARN THE GAME anyway (to add this important part!) and later look for an opponent to have more fun.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 9/9/2016 6:56:33 PM >

Post #: 42
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 1:27:32 PM   
wdolson

Do I need to lock this thread too?

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 43
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 1:39:02 PM   
Alpha77

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Do I need to lock this thread too?

Bill

Why would you, some hints to the trollers they shall stay on topic at least in such topics with actual important questions and not scare "newbies" away would suffice I would think... Thanks...I try my best already.

Edit, there are enough OT threads where is place for troll BS imo.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 9/9/2016 1:45:15 PM >

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 44
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 5:26:03 PM   
Ormbane

Just to be clear, I personally don't see the regulars on this forum as "trolls". Sometimes humor seems to derail or dilute threads, but I don't think that qualifies as "trolling", although some might find it annoying or even feel that they are being left out of "the cool kids club". I don't have a problem with it.

Trolling seems to have derived its name from a fishing analogy - throwing your line or your net into the water to see what you can catch. In forums the phenomenon often takes an almost scripted form - the troll uses incendiary language and makes an argument of the general form, "this game sucks and everyone that plays it sucks". The tone of the argument is condescending and superior because the intent is to insult and draw people into an argument that has no purpose other than to offend. The troll needs to include just enough to make the argument somewhat plausible otherwise nobody would bite. As long as people are offended and defensive the troll is happy. When the forum has enough of the troll the parting shot will be of the form, "see, I was right, you people are pathetic", and the unspoken but implied statement is that the troll is superior and smarter than everyone. Just like the AI in this game is scripted, the comments you read from trolls seem pretty scripted as well, almost as if some of the text is cut and pasted from one forum to another.

So, to reiterate, some of us enjoy the tangents and humor, some of us don't. But if someone starts off with a pretty blatantly offensive post that looks offensive, smells offensive, and tastes offensive, try not to step in it.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 45
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 5:40:10 PM   
Alpha77

They are trolls, they can easily post in OT threads or in PMs. No question about it, ca. 10 posts in this tread have exactly zero value for the topic. That is trolling - no question here at all They disrupt legit threads perhaps they are bored or do it on purpose, no idea. I did not find the OP offensive at all, it was NOT OT.

ok, tell me what are these posts about:

"Shouldn't that be "as they wuz flyin' by"? "
" Marky was a good kid...just misunderstood...lol
It scares me to think he could have kids in middle school by now. "
"Remember Helmut? "
"That scamp, Ike! Heckuva prez. "

And it is NOT even funny in any way, so its trolling, anyone wanna dispute that should read the definitions and forum rules. Note I troll myself but only in OT thread or ones that are already derailed anyway by other trolls...

See: 1c. Noun
...A member of an internet forum who continually harangues and harasses others. Someone with nothing worthwhile to add to a certain conversation, but rather continually threadjacks or changes the subject,...

Clearly the case, so I can use the word troll as long it applies.

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 9/9/2016 5:59:34 PM >

(in reply to Ormbane)
Post #: 46
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 5:48:29 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

They are trolls, they can easily post in OT threads or in PMs. No question about it, ca. 10 posts in this tread have exactly zero value for the topic. That is trolling - no question here at all They disrupt legit threads perhaps they are bored or do it on purpose, no idea. I did not find the OP offensive at all, it was NOT OT.

I agree with the OP for this thread - he asks a question and is clearly looking for info to make a decision about buying the game. The other thread he started contained some unfortunate remarks but if we dealt with the core questions of each one and ignored the insulting language it would just be another thread and not a locked down flame war.

It does trouble me that so many young people seem to have no idea of how their tone affects their communication. We should be teaching this stuff in our schools.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 47
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 5:56:16 PM   
Yaab

Hi, my name is AI and you human players suck! You have no drive in you, while my drive is as hard as Stalin's arse. My TFs can travel as fast as LeBron James and my LCUs can run on zero supplies until every soldier looks like Ann Coulter on vegan diet. You can't beat me. Neither Gandalf, nor Kasparov, nor Datsyuk. Have a life and go play Distant Worlds!

(in reply to Ormbane)
Post #: 48
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 6:04:03 PM   
BBfanboy

Edit: deleted double post

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 9/9/2016 8:21:32 PM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 49
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 6:26:40 PM   
Ormbane

Well, if it works for you to call those examples trolling have at it. I think the important part of the definition was perhaps overlooked by you:
"A member of an internet forum who continually harangues and harasses others". My view is that you gave several good examples of derailing or diverting a thread, but I didn't see anything offensive in them, at least not to me.

Anyway, perhaps this discussion is useful to some of us.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 50
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 6:49:27 PM   
Alpha77

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ormbane

Well, if it works for you to call those examples trolling have at it. I think the important part of the definition was perhaps overlooked by you:
"A member of an internet forum who continually harangues and harasses others". My view is that you gave several good examples of derailing or diverting a thread, but I didn't see anything offensive in them, at least not to me.

Yeah the harrassing could only be said, if the OP was very sensitive, what I do not know if he is. Ok, I am gonna call them 50% trolls ok ? So without the harrasment part....hope your majesty will allow me to use this term?
Sadly it seems OP is gone so can not give his view if he was offended. Guess he will also not buy the game or at least try it out, THANKS to the 50% TROLLS

< Message edited by Alpha77 -- 9/9/2016 6:52:09 PM >

(in reply to Ormbane)
Post #: 51
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 7:05:41 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timotheus

Well, I didn't buy the game, I am waiting for a serious sale.

Link to mods which help the AI please?

Edit: Also, I do not think I can do the the "live opponent" thing. Time commitment, life, gym, lawyering up, chicks, clubbin' and other assorted nonsense would get in the way.

Due to schedule, I would be able to binge on this game for a day or two, and then have to leave it alone for week(s).

I sense a new Marky. And yeah, that's old guy secret code.

What has a "Marky" to do with the OPs question..... See this is the best example some guys are just trolling around here. Guess that you have "Bull" in your username means something, right

It has nothing to do with the OP's question. I rejected him after his first post. An assumption that I spend my time here to entertain or educate him--someone who doesn't own the product--borders on diagnosable narcissistic disorder.

I was speaking to my friends who know who Marky was. If that isn't you, sorry. Move on past. I believe I have earned that right. If you disagree, the green button is available. You wouldn't be the first.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 9/9/2016 7:07:14 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 52
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 7:08:24 PM   
Ormbane

quote:

quote:

So without the harrasment part....hope your majesty will allow me to use this term?

Why did you think you needed my permission to misuse a term? But, it does seem that some of the "witty" tangents we find in some of these threads may be annoying to some people, so I hope that feedback is not lost on everyone.

(in reply to Alpha77)
Post #: 53
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 7:32:40 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

But, it does seem that some of the "witty" tangents we find in some of these threads may be annoying to some people, so I hope that feedback is not lost on everyone.

Some people see this forum as an operating manual. Some see it as an auxiliary living room. Some can do both at once. It's a matter of degree most often. I josh sometimes, and I recently called down the Gorn when his got under my skin. Everyone has their own limits.

Not for nothing, but in the forum culture, whenever the posts turn to joking it usually means that the OP's whining has been left behind and rejected.

But netcops have existed since there's been a Net. People endlessly try to herd cats.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 9/9/2016 7:33:54 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to Ormbane)
Post #: 54
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 7:58:51 PM   
Ormbane

Yes,
I thought about adding that sometimes there is a good reason to derail a thread, but it seems that sometimes the nuances of a post are not clear to everyone.

Post #: 55
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/9/2016 8:04:10 PM   
Macclan5

Hi Bill

I do NOT think you need lock this thread. Personal attacks and comments are not evident.

I will suggest that the poster has caused some introspection ~ not necessarily a bad thing albeit the manner in which it was done was abrasive.

I am a newbie.

I am also "mature" in the sense my age and experience in War Games is > 50 although my experience in WITP AE is less than 1 year.

My experience on these forums is exactly the opposite of what has been suggested / inferred / discussed / hinted / eluded to by any poster on any of these threads.

I took the time to try to pose "informed questions"

I took the time to read threads / AARs / search despite any perceived disorganization of threads or content.

My personal experience from the majority of the persons posting in this very thread (!!) is patient / understanding / balanced commentary designed to assist me discover the game fully for myself.

There are no "instant answers" to the majority of questions about a game this complex and further there are especially no instant answers about the AI ~ one of the most complicated aspects of the game.

I sincerely regret the original posters experience but it has as much to do with "tone of the message" as it does with "opinion of the message".

The occasional (number of) time (s) that a thread slips into "off topic" has never / is never intended to obscure or remove accessibility of the game from a new player. In fact it is almost "always" after the question has been answered correctly.

Different people have different expectations obviously.

However when introducing yourself to a new community it is incumbent upon the new person to do so in a manner that does NOT offend.

That is not a strictly Canadian viewpoint - that is universal among most communities and cultures.

I hope that enough has been said on this issue and we may now let if die properly and fall into obscurity where it belongs.

< Message edited by Macclan5 -- 9/9/2016 9:22:01 PM >

A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.

Post #: 56
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/10/2016 12:32:50 AM   
wdolson

The issue is not about off topic messages and I don't consider off topic messages trolling. The issue is calling the OP a troll. That is a personal attack.

The OP started two threads about AE, this one and the "this forum is unfriendly" one. The question that started this thread was completely legitimate and appareled to be genuine. He got the impression somehow that this forum was an "old boys club" and rather than have a discussion about it and see if his mind could be changed, people proceeded to trash him and call him a troll. Which is what an old boys club would do to a newbie.

I've been here long enough to know that's somewhat of an aberration in behavior rather than the norm, but it was not called for. Calling him a troll on this thread is what almost got it locked.

If someone says something like that in the future, maybe engaging in a discussion about why they feel that way rather than labeling the person a troll would be more productive, and show the forum is not a bunch of elitists who want to drive off newbies.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Macclan5)
Post #: 57
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/10/2016 12:41:33 AM   
BBfanboy

Well said Bill - couldn't have put my own thoughts in words any better than that!

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 58
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/10/2016 1:00:42 AM   
Ormbane

Bill, I have to disagree with you, respectfully, but I disagree. When someone "fires a parting shot" it is hard to miss the idea of some sort of contention. He then goes on to make a generalization about the members of the forum which is personal, although in the plural. Starting by saying the forum is "terrible and unfriendly" is not the way a normal, well-adjusted individual tries to persuade a group of people, especially when so many people can easily cite much evidence to the contrary. And no, even forums that are generally populated by much younger people don't normally attempt to reason with someone that starts off like that, so even a "young kids club" doesn't feel a need to defend themselves.

I think perhaps I was the first one to suggest that we might be dealing with a troll, so mea culpa.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 59
RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? - 9/10/2016 2:33:04 AM   
witpqs

quote:

Bill, I have to disagree with you, respectfully, but I disagree. When someone "fires a parting shot" it is hard to miss the idea of some sort of contention. He then goes on to make a generalization about the members of the forum which is personal, although in the plural. Starting by saying the forum is "terrible and unfriendly" is not the way a normal, well-adjusted individual tries to persuade a group of people, especially when so many people can easily cite much evidence to the contrary. And no, even forums that are generally populated by much younger people don't normally attempt to reason with someone that starts off like that, so even a "young kids club" doesn't feel a need to defend themselves.

I think perhaps I was the first one to suggest that we might be dealing with a troll, so mea culpa.

I think you are right, and he backed up up his conclusions with falsehoods, such as no one helping new people.

(in reply to Ormbane)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: How is the AI in the game? As Allies? As Japan? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI