Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Vietnam War game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Vietnam War game Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vietnam War game - 9/7/2016 5:44:42 PM   
DonCzirr

I enjoy this a lot on the iPAD:

JTS Modern Campaigns - Quang Tri '72

Also on Android for those without IOS.

< Message edited by DonCzirr -- 9/7/2016 5:46:15 PM >

Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 31
RE: Vietnam War game - 9/8/2016 7:48:57 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: WriterJWA

Any speculation as to why this seems such an avoided subject for serious consideration?

Asymmetrical warfare is hard to simulate. Winning battles is only part of the struggle.

It is a part in Sid Meier's Civilization series. In Civilization IV is Spy unit. Those are visible only to the controlling player, other players don't see them. In addition of spying, Spy can do variety of sabotage, like poison city's water supply, destroy a building, destroy a tile improvement (like a farm or a mine or a railroad), incite revolt, and then some. There are ways to counter a Spy. One of the best is Spy of your own: having a Spy in your own city is effective way to catch enemy spies. Military units also can catch enemy Spies but are less effective. In addition game has a resource: Espionage Points. More you have it, more effective are your Spies, less effective are enemy Spies. In addition having a Spy several turns in enemy city will make it easier to do espionage and stuff for less Espionage Points.

Could this general idea be adapted and tailored for the wargames? Like having variety of units that can move unseen by the enemy, do espionage and remain undetected ( = doesn't appear on the map), or appear (on the map) when they do something (like attack enemy unit). Opinions?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 32
RE: Vietnam War game - 9/10/2016 8:46:49 PM   
Crossroads

We've got Campaign Series: Vietnam under construction for a late 2017 release. More tactical than operational, but it will include also very large scenarios and linked campaigns. Platoons / 250m hexes.

Post #: 33
RE: Vietnam War game - 9/10/2016 9:00:44 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

We've got Campaign Series: Vietnam under construction for a late 2017 release. More tactical than operational, but it will include also very large scenarios and linked campaigns. Platoons / 250m hexes.

Yes indeed!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 34
RE: Vietnam War game - 9/11/2016 2:08:34 AM   
Ranger33

quote:

Very cool, that should be interesting for sure.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 35
RE: Vietnam War game - 9/12/2016 2:45:28 AM   
Agathosdaimon

quote:

by Campaign you are meaning like East Front/Rising Sun/Middle East etc Campaign series , if so that is superb and would be a standout game for the subject

-

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 36
RE: Vietnam War game - 9/12/2016 4:44:03 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

This was a very unpopular war (from the US population) ...

I'd put that at the top of the list as to why more isn't done with it ...

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

Post #: 37
RE: Vietnam War game - 9/12/2016 4:51:39 PM   
WriterJWA

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

quote:

This was a very unpopular war (from the US population) ...

I'd put that at the top of the list as to why more isn't done with it ...

I dunno... I find it hard to believe that because was an unpopular war sudden precludes it from being unworthy of a proper representation in a war game. World War I killed millions of people and is generally believed to be one of the dumbest wars in world history, yet has seen plenty of credible treatment in strategy gaming. It's hard for me to believe that people who play advanced war games would suddenly turn their nose up at an war game that accurately depicts the strategic and tactical problems of a complex conflict just because it was unpopular during its time.

Jay
USMC '98-'06
0311-4341

"Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics."
- Gen. Omar Bradley

"A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. "
- Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 38
RE: Vietnam War game - 9/12/2016 5:16:13 PM   
jwilkerson

You might be right ...

I was in US Army 75-81 and at least at the start of my time ... enlisted over grade of E-4 almost all had Vietnam experience. Offices from O-4 and up. But the people I know in the modern Army have told me "Vietnam was a bad war" ... which I take to mean some "nose up" attitude ...

This being said ... EYE am working on a VN War game.

I've been fascinated by the Mobile Riverine Force for eons ... so getting back to that. First doing it in minatures at the command decision scale ... but if I can get it to work ... goal would be to computerize the whole war at some scale no larger than 5m/hex.

A more tactical game on MRF does include a lot of elements ... boats, amphibious assaults ... helicopters, airmobile assaults, air strikes ... mech (5/60th was involved in several major actions) ... barge artillery ... etc.

My interest in MRF might stem, in part, from the idea of a joint force, before there was the idea of a joint force :D The Navy ran the boats and many of the dedicated choppers ... they army ran the troops and the on call choppers ... The chain of command did not merge until CINCPAC in HI. But the local commanders worked things out and made MRF work.

I'll try to remember to post some pics of where I'm at ... I got talked into doing this in 15mm ... (would've preferred 1/285th) ...

< Message edited by jwilkerson -- 9/12/2016 5:19:33 PM >

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to WriterJWA)
Post #: 39
RE: Vietnam War game - 9/12/2016 5:45:14 PM   
hellfish6

I've long been interested in a Vietnam operational game as well. I don't know if we'll ever see one that is able to scratch the itches, though I'll keep my eye out for that CSV title. Maybe in 20 years we'll have game design AI that can help us out and make a niche game (Vietnam) about a niche topic (COIN) economically feasible. Or maybe Fire in the Lake will get a port to a proper PC game (I'm a little surprised it hasn't been yet).

And yeah, the MRF was pretty cool. I was kicking around an ad-hoc mini game based on a new MRF in the Niger Delta circa 2020 a few years ago, assuming a Nigerian civil war. I'd love to be able to do something like that on a PC.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 40
RE: Vietnam War game - 9/12/2016 5:53:37 PM   
wings7

quote:

EYE am working on a VN War game.

I've been fascinated by the Mobile Riverine Force for eons ... so getting back to that. First doing it in minatures at the command decision scale ... but if I can get it to work ... goal would be to computerize the whole war at some scale no larger than 5m/hex.

A more tactical game on MRF does include a lot of elements ... boats, amphibious assaults ... helicopters, airmobile assaults, air strikes ... mech (5/60th was involved in several major actions) ... barge artillery ... etc.

My interest in MRF might stem, in part, from the idea of a joint force, before there was the idea of a joint force :D The Navy ran the boats and many of the dedicated choppers ... they army ran the troops and the on call choppers ... The chain of command did not merge until CINCPAC in HI. But the local commanders worked things out and made MRF work.

I'll try to remember to post some pics of where I'm at ... I got talked into doing this in 15mm ... (would've preferred 1/285th) ...

Sounds like a great war simulation, by "Mobile Riverine Force" I assume you mean this...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Riverine_Force
I would like to see some of your pictures on your creation!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 41
RE: Vietnam War game - 9/12/2016 6:27:57 PM   
jwilkerson

Here are the MRF boats in 15mm (Flames of War)

It took 8 months between ordering and receiving all these boats. I had no idea it would take that long. I guess you tell USA store front you want to order. Then USA tells NZ to make them for you ... then NZ tells Malaya to really make them for you ... then Malaya sends to NZ, the NZ sends to USA then USA sends to you. Total elapsed time = 8 months. But I have minimum needs now for 1967 scenarios. Base layers are half done ... then detailing. So this part is finally moving forward.

Troops are actually the easy part .... they are moving forward.

The 1967 scenario group will have US Army, ARVN and various VC units. Also SEALs and Navy boats. There will be Navy and Army helicopters and USAF ground support aircraft.
I've also started working on the terrain, which is a project within the project. I was hoping it would take a year, but given various issues, I would say more like 18 months now.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 42
RE: Vietnam War game - 9/12/2016 6:55:49 PM   
wings7

quote:

Here are the MRF boats in 15mm (Flames of War)

It took 8 months between ordering and receiving all these boats. I had no idea it would take that long. I guess you tell USA store front you want to order. Then USA tells NZ to make them for you ... then NZ tells Malaya to really make them for you ... then Malaya sends to NZ, the NZ sends to USA then USA sends to you. Total elapsed time = 8 months. But I have minimum needs now for 1967 scenarios. Base layers are half done ... then detailing. So this part is finally moving forward.

Troops are actually the easy part .... they are moving forward.

The 1967 scenario group will have US Army, ARVN and various VC units. Also SEALs and Navy boats. There will be Navy and Army helicopters and USAF ground support aircraft.
I've also started working on the terrain, which is a project within the project. I was hoping it would take a year, but given various issues, I would say more like 18 months now.

Thanks for sharing! I hope you post terrain pics when its completed!

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 43
RE: Vietnam War game - 9/12/2016 7:02:23 PM   
Wisdom11

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

quote:

Yes indeed!

Brilliant! Need beta testers?

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Vietnam War game Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI