Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All things Football (soccer) related

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/11/2016 8:26:56 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

realise you've all been waiting for an update on Scotland's glorious progress in the (very) early rounds of the Europa League.

Well Aberdeen managed to get past the champions of Luxembourg despite losing the second leg. They may yet make it to somewhere near the real competition.

Warspite, anything to say about these news (or threats)? Sam Allardyce is obvious choice for England, says Sir Alex Ferguson

warspite1

Not really. We've had some decent players over the years - and yet, no matter who we pay huge amounts of money too - overseas coaches, established English coaches, champions league winners, younger English managers - the fact is the results are broadly similar.

Sam Allardyce as a footballer was an old school 'unit'. Finesse, elegance, skill are three words that would not be used to describe his playing ability - the very opposite of say Glenn Hoddle, but then regardless of the reasons he was sacked, their were rumblings of discontent before Hoddle was removed.

As far as being a manager is concerned, Allardyce has not done much in terms of silverware - but then he's not managed clubs that expect that. What he has done is achieved more than a degree of success through being able to organise a football team and get players playing to their strengths. He has proved a safe pair of hands.

Who knows? Maybe he is what the English game needs in that latter regard? The danger of course is that he will prove to be as incapable as Roy Hodgson in making that leap when managing 'better' players. I have no wish to kick a man when he's down, but I blame the FA for this latest debacle. They had the experience of Hodgson's brief tenure at Liverpool as a guide - or at least a warning - not to mention the disaster that was the last World Cup.

Personally I am a little bit in couldn't care less corner at the moment. The overpaid, over indulged losers don't deserve anything...

I think the Hoddle problem was he could never understand why someone else lacked his magnetic ball control - so was not actually a particularly good coach as he couldn't break down what he did, or tolerate those lacking his own level of skill?

The idea of Allardyce is terrifying - I mean the idea that the EFA are even going to interview him is utterly scary, that he might get the job is truely bizarre. I understand that some Celtic fans wouldn't mind having Rogers taken off their hands already - they've gone from pleased to get him to bemused at all the management psycho-babble he comes out with,
warspite1

That Rodgers signed for Celtic before the Euro debacle is something to at least be grateful for.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2191
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/11/2016 9:18:20 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

The idea of Allardyce is terrifying - I mean the idea that the EFA are even going to interview him is utterly scary, that he might get the job is truely bizarre.

From what I could gather (as an outsider), this guy is some sort of firefighter. Hired to struggle with mid table (and below) teams: he managed to save Sunderland this year. But he never made it to the elite.

In other words, the classical coach struggling with limited means.

Well, perhaps that's what the team needs now: the feet on the ground, reset, humility and... who knows what's next.

If I am not mistaken, England already copied the German, Spanish and French youth system. Results (production of good competent players) might come in the future. In any case, it worked in all 3 countries mentioned.

And oops! The Guardian strikes again! Sam Allardyce is the regeneration man who can rebuild England

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2192
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/12/2016 7:53:51 AM   
loki100

these days he gets jobs taking teams in danger of relegation and making them completely boring and unwatcheable but grabbing enough points to stay up. He's clearly good at this but there is no evidence of anything more creative.

Anyway, for those suffering from post Euro withdrawals, advance news of tonights big match. Celtic against the champions of Gibralter. Should be a tense well balanced tussle between Rodgers' "philosophy" and footballing realities.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 2193
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/12/2016 9:04:30 PM   
warspite1

quote:

realise you've all been waiting for an update on Scotland's glorious progress in the (very) early rounds of the Europa League.

Well Aberdeen managed to get past the champions of Luxembourg despite losing the second leg. They may yet make it to somewhere near the real competition.
warspite1

Never mind the Europa League..........

Lincoln Red Imps 1 - 0 Celtic

Who the hell are Lincoln Red Imps? Well they are the part time Gibraltarian champions......

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2194
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/12/2016 9:15:29 PM   
Orm

quote:

Who the hell are Lincoln Red Imps? Well they are the part time Gibraltarian champions......

So Gibraltar has its own league?

That result makes me slightly worried because Europa FC are on a visit.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2195
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/12/2016 9:31:09 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

warspite1

Why? You haven't got Brendan Rodgers in charge have you?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2196
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/12/2016 9:34:14 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Why? You haven't got Brendan Rodgers in charge have you?

No. We just sacked our manager and rehired one (after a few years away from the club) that is all but a saint to most supporters. Why has eluded me.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2197
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/12/2016 10:14:19 PM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Well I have to admit even I didn't expect Brendan to weave his particular form of footballing magic quite that quickly

#IsthisScoxit?

maybe they are only part time champions as they share it with the other team on alternate days?

< Message edited by loki100 -- 7/12/2016 10:17:33 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2198
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/12/2016 10:18:05 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Well I have to admit even I didn't expect Brendan to weave his particular form of footballing magic quite that quickly

#IsthisScoxit?

maybe they are only part time champions as they share it with the other team on alternate days?
warspite1

Maybe. But as Brendan says - there is no embarrassment in losing to a bunch of part-timers......

....I'm sure Roy will agree with him.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2199
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/12/2016 10:43:09 PM   
loki100

quote:

Maybe. But as Brendan says - there is no embarrassment in losing to a bunch of part-timers......

well look on the bright side .. he could well be available for the England job by this time next week?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2200
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/12/2016 10:43:40 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

well look on the bright side .. he could well be available for the England job by this time next week?
warspite1

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2201
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/13/2016 12:33:19 PM   
Dixie

Sam Allardyce for England?

Please no!
Why do you do this!?!

I really cannot believe that the FA think this is a good idea, I'd actually prefer the team to go without a manager. If anyone wants to know why I think this would be aterrible decision, take a look at how West Ham performed with him in charge and the immediate improvement when Slavan Bilic took charge. This would set a new record for the amount of smug exuded by one man if it happens.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2202
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/13/2016 3:57:58 PM   
loki100

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!

The number of Celtic fans wandering around trying to convince themselves it doesn't matter ... 'manager's first game', etc ... is rather amusing. Especially as everyone who has observed Rodgers' philosophy in action elsewhere is only surprised by how early it all went wrong, rather than that it has gone wrong.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2203
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/13/2016 8:43:34 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

Sam Allardyce for England?

Please no!
Why do you do this!?!

I really cannot believe that the FA think this is a good idea, I'd actually prefer the team to go without a manager. If anyone wants to know why I think this would be aterrible decision, take a look at how West Ham performed with him in charge and the immediate improvement when Slavan Bilic took charge. This would set a new record for the amount of smug exuded by one man if it happens.
warspite1

A few years ago I would have been a mix of incandescent with rage and genuinely fearful for the future at the news that someone like Allardyce was even being considered. But, you know what? I actually hope he gets it. As I said in an earlier post, there is always the possibility he could be another Roy Hodgson or Steve McLaren, but then again he might just be the sort of no-nonsense old school manager that knows how to organise a team.

Good luck to you Mr A if you get it

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 2204
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/15/2016 5:54:54 PM   
loki100

Since I realise you are all so keen to know. Well Hibs lost (not unusual) and to a good Danish side so no real surprise. Hearts could only manage a draw against a team from Malta (I never realised that Malta had so many entries into the Europa league). So quite feasible that Scotland's capital may have exited Europe this time next week.

Aberdeen put in a display of boring competence so will probably reach the 3rd Qualifying Round ...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2205
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/21/2016 7:59:50 AM   
loki100

and even more good news.

Brendan's philosophy is back on course as Celtic win 3-0

and it seems that England really have given big Sam the job?

< Message edited by loki100 -- 7/21/2016 8:02:50 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2206
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/21/2016 7:59:10 PM   
warspite1

quote:

and it seems that England really have given big Sam the job?
warspite1

Well, I for one am quite pleased with the appointment. Time will tell of course, but I think he is capable of doing a decent job.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2207
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 7/21/2016 11:07:00 PM   
loki100

well that round was genuinely wierd. Hibs, as is their tradition, actually had the better of 1-0 away win only to lose on penalties. However, Hearts (who were third in the league last season) managed to get knocked out losing at home to a Maltese side.

So that is 50% of Scotland's sides in European leagues already knocked out and we are not even into august .

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2208
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/26/2016 5:35:00 PM   
warspite1

Well as if I didn't like this young lady enough already. Now it turns out she's a Spurs fan

Attachment (1)

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 2209
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/26/2016 6:26:10 PM   
Zorch

quote:

Well as if I didn't like this young lady enough already. Now it turns out she's a Spurs fan

I am also a fan of the San Antonio Spurs. Laura has excellent taste!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2210
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 8/26/2016 6:31:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

I am also a fan of the San Antonio Spurs. Laura has excellent taste!

warspite1

The latter? Yes. The former... no, I don't think so.....

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 8/26/2016 6:32:35 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2211
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/5/2016 7:39:04 AM   
warspite1

A good start for England, Scotland and Northern Ireland to their World Cup qualifying campaigns. Time for Wales to continue this trend tonight please.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2212
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/6/2016 8:49:24 PM   
shunwick

Quote of the week.

"...not for me to say where Wayne Rooney will play" and added: "Wayne played wherever he wanted to. I can't stop Wayne playing there.

I think that he holds a lot more experience at international football than me as an international manager. Using his experience with a team, playing as a team member, it's not for me to say where he is going to play." - Sam Allardyce after the Slovakia game.

?

Best wishes,
Steve

< Message edited by shunwick -- 9/6/2016 8:53:18 PM >

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2213
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/6/2016 8:58:45 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Quote of the week.

"...not for me to say where Wayne Rooney will play" and added: "Wayne played wherever he wanted to. I can't stop Wayne playing there.

I think that he holds a lot more experience at international football than me as an international manager. Using his experience with a team, playing as a team member, it's not for me to say where he is going to play." - Sam Allardyce after the Slovakia game.

?

Best wishes,
Steve

Why is he manager then, if he can not tell all the players how he want them to play?

(in reply to shunwick)
Post #: 2214
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/6/2016 9:48:31 PM   
shunwick

quote:

quote:

Quote of the week.

?

Best wishes,
Steve

Why is he manager then, if he can not tell all the players how he want them to play?

A very good question...

Best wishes,
Steve

I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2215
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/7/2016 6:31:59 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Quote of the week.

?

Best wishes,
Steve

warspite1

Well as someone who was quite pleased that Allardyce was given the job, I have to say that comment is nothing short of depressing.

Personally I do not think Rooney should even make the starting XI the way he is playing at the moment - over hit crosses, mis-placed passes and that was against Slovakia! Moreover, despite his experience and trophies won, Rooney was completely clueless as to how to change the game against Iceland. What sort of captain, what sort of leader is that?

But Big Sam rates him and I just hope what is said in public (in support of his captain) is not what Allardyce is actually saying in private.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2216
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/7/2016 10:01:12 PM   
Zorch

"Tottenham may one day host a NFL franchise, says chairman Daniel Levy"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/07/tottenham-could-one-day-hosy-a-nfl-franchise-says-chairman-daneil-levy

"White Hart Lane redevelopment caters for American football
We welcome co-operation with the NFL and a dedicated team, says Levy

Tottenham’s chairman Daniel Levy hopes a London NFL franchise will one day take up a permanent home at the Premier League club’s new stadium.

The area around White Hart Lane is in the process of extensive redevelopment as Spurs build a new 61,000-seat venue – part of the Northumberland Development Project – which is set to include facilities for American football such as a retractable grass pitch with a synthetic playing surface. A 10-year partnership is already in place which will see two NFL matches a year hosted at their new home, which is scheduled to open for the start of the 2018-19 season."

Tottenham fans might finally get a real team to cheer for! (Complete with NFL cheerleaders)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2217
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/14/2016 8:19:34 PM   
Orm

Sometimes I ponder on why some football players seem so uninspired when they play great, important, matches.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2218
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/14/2016 10:01:04 PM   
Orm

That was disappointing although it was an exciting match.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2219
RE: All things Football (soccer) related - 9/14/2016 10:08:46 PM   
warspite1

It's going to be a looooooong season - although a short one in the Champions League

Time to get tough Mr P - Goodbye Son and Lamela in January and time to start dropping Eriksen, Alli and Kane.

Seriously worried about Kane now. He has been awful since one month before the end of last season - and no signs of any improvement.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2220
Page:   <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: All things Football (soccer) related Page: <<   < prev  72 73 [74] 75 76   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI