Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Multiplayer - Did I dream this.....?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Multiplayer - Did I dream this.....? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Multiplayer - Did I dream this.....? - 5/10/2000 7:00:00 AM   
SmittyOhio

Just curious....I could have sworn that online multiplayer was going to be included in SPWAW....I can't seem to find any mention of it now, though.... Looks like a great piece of work even with it, but it would be fun to play live over the 'net.... -Craig

Post #: 1
- 5/10/2000 7:02:00 AM   
SmittyOhio

err....sb "Looks like a great piece of work even without it..."

(in reply to SmittyOhio)
Post #: 2
- 5/10/2000 7:48:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

We tried...It was just taking too long. We announced a while back that it would not be included in this release. We will see if we can find room in the schedule to add it back in, but we ran over 6 weeks as it is... It may have to wait until we make some money so we can afford to have it done. Sorry guys...I really want it so I'll be pushing for it, but we have to stick to a ballpark schedule if we are going to make it before our wives all divorce us...:-)

(in reply to SmittyOhio)
Post #: 3
- 5/10/2000 8:46:00 AM   
Calvin

Paul, Nothing to be sorry for. I have to say, this effort marks the single most selfless thing I have ever seen in the computer game hobby or wargaming. This is an EXCELLENT piece of work. Maybe some of the rest of us could get together to work on the multiplayer component? Anyway, the new AI model and the realism of the game itself leaves more than enough fun for now. Thanks again! Calvin

(in reply to SmittyOhio)
Post #: 4
- 5/21/2000 3:30:00 AM   
rodo

oops !!!! thanks Paul for your answer ! I beleive that you did your best to implement a MP feature in the game ... But however, I stopped to try to download the game when I saw this topic on the forum. Today, a game without MP online feature does not interest me. [i hate playing against CPU when I canplay against H_brains] Please be efficient with your communication about the MP online patch in the future. When the patch will be out, I will want to install the game. That's a pity. BIG disappointment here regards.

(in reply to SmittyOhio)
Post #: 5
- 5/21/2000 3:38:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

A lot of us have been sorely tested against other warriors in Play by Email. In fact with ICQ and other services that allow direct file transfer, pbem is very close to head to head! You can agree to a "turnaround time" 15 or 20 minutes and once you get teh hang of it, I've played good portions of a game that way in an afternoon - about the same rate as for the TCP/IP version of SP3! Unfortunatley implementing online play is very time consuming and while we will continue to try to work it in the schedule, it may have to wait for SP:The Nam. I hope that is not the case as I think it is important to get it in the game to attract new players...

(in reply to SmittyOhio)
Post #: 6
- 5/11/2000 9:06:00 PM   
RCMP

Paul; Sorry but I have to agree with rodo..... The game is a nice improvement but without MP online/Lan the AI seems only marginally better than the original. PBEM is just to slow for my liking, and a 15 turn game can take a week or two to complete..... So if I understand the next project will have MP capabilities. Is this going to be PacWar or SP-Nam?? Thanks, and I do appreciate the work u have completed, finally its a Window's program. Guess ill have to Hot Seat a bit for the next year!!! (or sooner for your next release???)

Queen's Cowboy's Always get their man......

(in reply to SmittyOhio)
Post #: 7
- 5/18/2000 9:21:00 AM   
bchapman

Paul, For a lot of us folks that don't have fast enough connections for online/multi-player games, this game is just great. I've played a few games against the computer so far, haven't yet seen an opponents list for SPWAW? Anyhow, just wanted you to know how much your efforts are appreciated. What your team has accomplished might just change the game developement industry. With a good response to this game, maybe the gaming industry will take notice and start getting some input from the gamers themselves. Bascom

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have."<br />- Gerald Ford

(in reply to SmittyOhio)
Post #: 8
- 5/20/2000 10:04:00 PM   
rodo

Hi all ! can someone from Matrix tell us when the online game will be available ? Thanks

(in reply to SmittyOhio)
Post #: 9
- 5/21/2000 7:29:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

We hear you folks, we hope to have some definate news one way of the other on the online play in a couple weeks...no promises, but the door isn't shut on it yet either...

(in reply to SmittyOhio)
Post #: 10
- 5/24/2000 11:11:00 PM   
Howling H R Bryars

PMFJI, but I have to agree that multiplayer is crucial - one of the two most important features SP has needed for years. The other was Windows NT compatibility, which you have conquered (woo-hoo!). Since funding is apparently an issue (and it's a shame about the copyright problem), perhaps you could sell some related services? I would have happily paid for the new game. Maybe you could solicit donations, or sell "shares" to well-heeled grognards like myself ;-) ------------------ HRB3 aka "I Scream Man"

HRB3

(in reply to SmittyOhio)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Multiplayer - Did I dream this.....? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI