Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: ETA?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: ETA? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ETA? - 9/14/2016 4:01:21 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lobster

First release of Microsoft Foundation Class Library was in 1992 with their C/C++ compiler. Or so I hear.

But I think Norm was dragging code over from earlier games. Who knows how early?

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 121
RE: ETA? - 9/14/2016 4:22:32 PM   
BradK82

I may be wrong but reading between the lines it seems what I am hearing is that there just can't be much more streched out of this code as it exist. It may require some major overhauling precipitating a delay.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 122
RE: ETA? - 9/14/2016 5:09:56 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: BradK82

I may be wrong but reading between the lines it seems what I am hearing is that there just can't be much more streched out of this code as it exist. It may require some major overhauling precipitating a delay.

Oh, you can stretch anything you want out of it - it's just harder to do than if it already had MFC. We have to build everything from scratch, whereas MFC would let us just plug in already built-in components. For example, Ralph had to make the scroll bars from scratch - and then spend ages perfecting them. But, once we get the UI finished, that will all be behind us. Game Mechanics are "under the hood" and independent of graphics (usually).

For sure, there will be no delay for any such "major overhaul".

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

(in reply to BradK82)
Post #: 123
RE: ETA? - 9/14/2016 5:16:03 PM   
Lobster

quote:

Oh my.

It's been about seven years for TOAW 3.5/TOAW 4.0 already. What's another four or five?

No, I don't see this happening either. Maybe, in another ten years, if there's a TOAW 5. I'll just be ashes by then so I don't really care. Just trying to stay alive long enough to see this iteration completed.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to BradK82)
Post #: 124
RE: ETA? - 9/14/2016 6:09:11 PM   
BradK82

Thanks for clarifying. I am for sure no programmer. Just imagining that as the core code gets older it gets more difficult. When I said delay I was referring to the type of things you mentioned not indicating further expected delays.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 125
RE: ETA? - 9/14/2016 6:16:57 PM   
BradK82

quote:

quote:

Oh my.

It's been about seven years for TOAW 3.5/TOAW 4.0 already. What's another four or five?

No, I don't see this happening either. Maybe, in another ten years, if there's a TOAW 5. I'll just be ashes by then so I don't really care. Just trying to stay alive long enough to see this iteration completed.

Has it been 7 years. WOW time flies.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 126
RE: ETA? - 9/14/2016 9:00:12 PM   
Catch21

quote:

Just trying to stay alive long enough to see this iteration completed.
Me too. FWiW Curtis Lemay has been with TOAW longer than me (1999), and I figure he's a little older.

So if he thinks he's gonna live to see TOAW IV, and says be patient, I assume he's a timeline in mind that includes him being able to play it, or design in it, or both.

Sort of gives a new meaning to a drop dead date for the TOAW IV project.

Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply.
(J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 127
RE: ETA? - 9/15/2016 6:28:28 AM   
FF_1079

quote:

quote:

Oh my.

To be fair, the announcement of the new version of TOAW IV was only made 14 months ago. I'm sure there had been a lot of talk since the release of TOAW III about the next version, but the announcement date from Matrix came on 7/72015.

Fondly remembers SSI's "Clash of Steel"

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 128
RE: ETA? - 9/16/2016 4:03:00 AM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: FF_1079

quote:

quote:

Oh my.

To be fair, the announcement of the new version of TOAW IV was only made 14 months ago. I'm sure there had been a lot of talk since the release of TOAW III about the next version, but the announcement date from Matrix came on 7/72015.

To be fair? Okay. Let's be fair. Let's look at the background. TOAW4 is actually TOAW3.5 patch expanded. Much of it consists of the promised 3.5 patch. So 3.5 morphed into 4. So the development of 4 started with the patch, 3.5, several years ago. Here's some reading for you:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3462323 TOAW 3.5 is being resumed
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3462345 TOAW 4.0 announcement by Ralph 11/9/13
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3261432 Erik Rutkins concerning Ralph's absence 1/31/13
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3462347 Ralph's apology for being AWOL 11/9/13
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2957855 What has happened to the development of 3.5? 11/22/11
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3342237 Another 'what has happened to 3.5?' 6/6/13
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3033685 Another 'where is Ralph?' during 3.5 development 2/9/12
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2893316 More 'what has happened to 3.5?' 8/26/11
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2818040 News from Ralph about progress of 3.5 and a podcast 5/20/11

Now when someone tells us to be PATIENT it would appear that they don't think anyone has been. But for those of us that have been waiting for this for several years that falls flat. Because patient is all we can be when the history of this is looked at. If I had started high school when this started I would at least be a sophomore in college by now.
I can't find the first post concerning 3.5 and I can't recall when it was started but when you talk about TOAW4 and it's dev time you have to also add in the time for 3.5 because it is the same thing. I realize you must not have been around for all of this otherwise you would have known that what you replied was incorrect. Yeah there has been some moaning but it's taking forever.

BTW: Let me be perfectly clear about one thing. Ralph is a good guy. Bad things happen to good people. Things that will interrupt people's lives in ways unforeseen. Ralph has put in a lot of his own time on this and everyone should appreciate that. In fact everyone who has spent their own time making this patch/release a success should be appreciated. Time is a non renewable resource. You can't buy time. You can't save time. You can't make time. But you can most certainly spend time. So, thanks guys for taking the time to do this update. But it's just taking so long.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 9/16/2016 5:47:05 PM >

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

(in reply to FF_1079)
Post #: 129
RE: ETA? - 9/19/2016 9:34:18 AM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

It's all in C++ (at least all I've dealt with). But he didn't use MFC. [emphasis added]

quote:

quote:

That's funny because I commented one time in the TOAW forums that I was told the code was like a plate of spaghetti. All mixed up. But Ralph replied that Norm was a fine programmer and the code was well written. So which is it? I would have to believe Ralph since he's been working on it before Noah had the ark finished.

Oh, I would agree that it's well written (except for that comment thing [emphasis added]). It's certainly not classical "spaghetti code", except that it's so structured that you have to expect to peal back multiple layers to get to what you want when you're looking for something. I would have preferred he had used MFC, but it might not have been around yet when he was coding it. No point in adding it now (if that would even be possible).

quote:

quote:

Oh, you can stretch anything you want out of it - it's just harder to do than if it already had MFC. We have to build everything from scratch [emphasis added], whereas MFC would let us just plug in already built-in components. For example, Ralph had to make the scroll bars from scratch - and then spend ages perfecting them. But, once we get the UI finished, that will all be behind us. Game Mechanics are "under the hood" and independent of graphics (usually).

For sure, there will be no delay for any such "major overhaul".

Those nuggets of information speak volumes, explain so much. No wonder it's slow going.

Good luck, guys. [Truly. No sarcasm intended, or implied.]

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 130
RE: ETA? - 9/19/2016 11:20:36 AM   
BradK82

Lobster, also to be fair I would like to point out that second comment you ran in to look like it was my quote did not come from me. Otherwise solid rant. I first bought TOAW from a little software store at Arizona Mills in 1999. Aww such great memories. Got married that year, almost divorced the next year because of TOAW So yeah I have seen a few iterations including Modern Battles and ACOW.

< Message edited by BradK82 -- 9/19/2016 5:53:16 PM >

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 131
RE: ETA? - 9/20/2016 1:02:10 PM   
Lobster

quote:

Lobster, also to be fair I would like to point out that second comment you ran in to look like it was my quote did not come from me. Otherwise solid rant. I first bought TOAW from a little software store at Arizona Mills in 1999. Aww such great memories. Got married that year, almost divorced the next year because of TOAW So yeah I have seen a few iterations including Modern Battles and ACOW.

Uhm...which one would that be? The forum does a fine job of neatly boxing quoted messages and attaching the original author's name.

(in reply to BradK82)
Post #: 132
RE: ETA? - 9/20/2016 6:24:20 PM   
BradK82

Never mind

< Message edited by BradK82 -- 9/20/2016 6:35:50 PM >

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 133
RE: ETA? - 9/22/2016 4:50:46 AM   
Lobster

Miracles do happen. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3861262&mpage=3&key=�

(in reply to BradK82)
Post #: 134
RE: ETA? - 9/26/2016 2:23:09 AM   
Meyer1

quote:

Miracles do happen. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3861262&mpage=3&key=�

So, I guess they didn't spend the last six years improving the graphics.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 135
RE: ETA? - 9/26/2016 11:10:22 PM   
TDefender

quote:

ORIGINAL: Meyer1

So, I guess they didn't spend the last six years improving the graphics.

You make my day But actually there's nothing to be much happy...

(in reply to Meyer1)
Post #: 136
RE: ETA? - 9/29/2016 6:08:33 PM   
solops

So, is there an ETA? I have to admit that I have owned every version of TOAW that has ever been published. I have spent more time making silly mods for it than any other game. And no they are far to silly to share...such as what if the Hungarians in Barbarossa had been equipped with M-1 Abrams and Bradley APCs. Anyway, back to the point, I look forward to TOAW4 more than any other game in a decade. Knowing some sort of timeframe could save me hundreds of dollars that I might otherwise waste on other games while waiting on TOAW4. So please, help my wife, who pays the bills, and my children, who need money for college, and give me a time frame of perhaps a 6 month window. And I totally understand that this is only an estimate and could be off by 12 or more months. This is really serious. I mean, should I get that other new game or two extra boxes of ammo or a new calculator for my kid or an anniversary present? Real world decisions are in the balance and YOU are critical component. I am certainly not going to take the hit alone if my wife does not get roses at the appropriate time!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to TDefender)
Post #: 137
RE: ETA? - 9/29/2016 6:40:46 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

So, is there an ETA?

If there is an ETA the beta team isn't being let in on the secret either. There is so much misery in the world and there's so much
injustice and we are forced to pick from two of the worst nominees in the history of the world and on top of that the ETA is a secret.

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 138
RE: ETA? - 9/29/2016 8:28:35 PM   
Catch21

It's not a secret, there just isn't one.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 139
RE: ETA? - 10/2/2016 9:15:24 AM   
fogger

I have no idea when TOAW 4 will be released. Even if I did know my NDA would prevent me from saying anything.

There were 13 updates in July, 8 in August and 9 in September. So things are moving. However Christmas is approx 11 weeks away, so when one considers the lead time to produce and market a game, I think it save to assume that it will not be released for this Christmas.

As for your wife and kids, my philosophy to life is to look after the people who will be crying at YOUR funeral and picking your old people / retirement home.

< Message edited by fogger -- 10/2/2016 9:07:01 PM >

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 140
RE: ETA? - 10/2/2016 10:31:00 AM   
Catch21

Yes, but:

1) Can you please define update? Saying something has been done? Seeing something has been done? And a piece of GUI eye candy added to make it seem like major progress or some fundamental change to the game engine, like expanded air and naval support?

2) Funeral? Whose? Yours or that of TOAW? And talking of retirement homes in the context of TOAW development, maybe we should all start looking...

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 141
RE: ETA? - 10/2/2016 8:04:18 PM   
Lobster

quote:

ORIGINAL: fogger

so when one considers the lead time to produce and market a game

What? What did you just say? Lead time? This game was released in 1998. 18 years ago. All that's being done it adding some graphics, updating the UI and a few other bits and pieces. All of the 'lead time' happened almost two decades ago. This glorified patch has taken, at the minimum, five years. An entirely new game can be cranked out in that time. Especially one without the gee whiz graphics we see today. So please, don't compare this project to a new game. It's not and we all know that.

Now please get busy and crank this thing out by Christmas. It's been long past due.

BTW: 3.1 released June 2006, 3.2 released September 2007, 3.4 released February 2011, 3.4 final released July 2015. I don't recall when TOAW III was initially released. We are way past the longest development period of past patches. Maybe it's because the code is getting harder and harder to work with as it's stretched more. The only one who would know is no longer communicating. Oh, and much of the 'final' 3.4 patch was actually the 3.5 patch.

During any of the previous times patches were being made did any work in progress screen shots get posted? I seem to remember some 3.4 shots.

< Message edited by Lobster -- 10/2/2016 8:22:18 PM >

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 142
RE: ETA? - 10/2/2016 8:31:39 PM   
Lobster

Well by golly. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1093178

I know that there are some things like graphics for the map and counters completed. It would be nice to see them. Like we go for 3.4.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 143
RE: ETA? - 10/2/2016 8:50:51 PM   
Catch21

quote:

The only one who would know is no longer communicating. Oh, and much of the 'final' 3.4 patch was actually the 3.5 patch.

Yes, but it's his now, and he has the rights to it. And he can do what he likes with it, no matter (apparently) how long it takes. There's shades of Gollum's my precious (of LOTR) in this, maybe TOAW just eventually breaks people.

I don't think Matrix even has the source code any more, or if they did they'd surely have taken action on this by now.

(in reply to Lobster)
Post #: 144
RE: ETA? - 10/2/2016 9:24:05 PM   
fogger

I have signed a NDA so sorry I am unable to show or say anything more.

Typo. It should have been "your" funeral.

To produce I meant production. Making the cd / dvd, printing the rule book & box in several languages. Advertising the product and shipping to a warehouse and then from the warehouse to the retail stores in the US & UK and around the world after the orders have come in.

Thought for the day:
If you feel like doing some work, sit down and wait....... The feeling does go away.

(in reply to Catch21)
Post #: 145
RE: ETA? - 10/3/2016 8:25:44 PM   
larryfulkerson

I'm curious. Does anybody ever take a look at this forum anymore?

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 146
RE: ETA? - 10/3/2016 8:33:52 PM   
zakblood

only Monday to Sundays, so 7 days, on the 8th i rest

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 147
RE: ETA? - 10/3/2016 8:40:36 PM   
larryfulkerson

Good to know it's still getting some traffic

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 148
RE: ETA? - 10/3/2016 9:34:50 PM   
Catch21

quote:

To produce I meant production. Making the cd / dvd, printing the rule book & box in several languages. Advertising the product and shipping to a warehouse and then from the warehouse to the retail stores in the US & UK and around the world after the orders have come in.

In this day and age it's a digital download for Christ's sake...

(in reply to fogger)
Post #: 149
RE: ETA? - 10/3/2016 9:40:00 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Staff
quote:

In this day and age it's a digital download for Christ's sake...

I agree. For Christ's sake.........

(in reply to Catch21)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: ETA? Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI