Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/4/2016 12:27:00 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

That said it was still watchable I thought.

It was indeed watchable. I was mostly annoyed because I thought they didn't have a story for so many episodes so they dragged it on. And the new suspects, and new murder story, I found it hard to be interested in.

----

I haven't seen 'Cold Feet' yet. Is it worth watching the original series?
warspite1

Yes, from what I can remember it is definitely worth watching - a very good cast too. There are 5 series to catch-up on though!

warspite1

In preparation for tomorrow night I watched the original pilot episode and then the last episode of the last series.

I think that gives me pretty much all I need to know so I know who was doing what with whom.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2101
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/6/2016 1:10:26 PM   
Mylesmata

Last night I watched the Russian film, Stalingrad (Fedor Bondarchuk, 2013), not to be confused with the 1993 film. It was by and large quite a disappointment. Very over-the-top (and largely fairly unconvincing) CG distracting from a decent ebough story. What annoys me in these blockbuster spectacles, though, is the constant soundtrack. Music can play a very important role in evoking emotion or accentuating action, etc., but like anything, when it's overused it loses its impact and ends up feeling cheap. Silence is just as important!

Also, trying to ape Saving Private Ryan's worst bit, the modern-day 'bookends', with an irrelevant vignette about the Japanese tsunami was the bitter icing on the cake.

I didn't hate it as much as it might seem, but it certainly irritated me!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2102
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/6/2016 6:45:09 PM   
Orm

Second season of Narcos finished in 4 days. Now I have to wait a year for the third season. If they even make a third season. But I sure do hope that they do but series that I like tend to be cancelled early.

I am still annoyed that Firefly got cancelled.

< Message edited by Orm -- 9/6/2016 6:47:04 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Mylesmata)
Post #: 2103
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/7/2016 6:39:54 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That said it was still watchable I thought.

It was indeed watchable. I was mostly annoyed because I thought they didn't have a story for so many episodes so they dragged it on. And the new suspects, and new murder story, I found it hard to be interested in.

----

I haven't seen 'Cold Feet' yet. Is it worth watching the original series?
warspite1

Yes, from what I can remember it is definitely worth watching - a very good cast too. There are 5 series to catch-up on though!

warspite1

In preparation for tomorrow night I watched the original pilot episode and then the last episode of the last series.

I think that gives me pretty much all I need to know so I know who was doing what with whom.

warspite1

Always had the potential for disaster or let down after 13 years, but I have to say that the first episode of Cold Feet went down very well. Like welcoming 5 friends back (some you like more than others sure, but there is comfort in the familiarity).

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2104
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/12/2016 8:39:02 AM   
warspite1

Watched the Disney re-make of the Jungle Book over the weekend.

Wow! What a brilliant version! The little actor that played Mowgli was perfect for the part and the CGI was incredible!

Great movie.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2105
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/20/2016 9:51:49 PM   
warspite1

Finally watched Minions at the weekend. Not a great film but I loved the Minions dressed as French Napoleonic infantry. Priceless.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2106
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/21/2016 12:49:28 AM   
Mylesmata

After recently reading Bravo Two Zero, I managed to track down a copy of the 1999 miniseries. It wasn't too bad; surprisingly faithful to the book. Not Sean Bean's best by any means though.

I'd quite like to see the 1996 film adaptation of Chris Ryan's book The One That Got Away now.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2107
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/21/2016 1:28:59 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Watched the Disney re-make of the Jungle Book over the weekend.

Wow! What a brilliant version! The little actor that played Mowgli was perfect for the part and the CGI was incredible!

Great movie.

Agree wholeheartedly. I thought Christopher Walken as the Girangutang King was also outstanding.

I strongly recommend "Kubo and the Two Strings" for your family and warspite1 Jr. Thumbs up all the way around from my crew.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2108
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/21/2016 1:29:55 AM   
Chickenboy

Just rewatched "By Dawn's Early Light". Some parts of it made me squirm again...

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2109
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/21/2016 9:47:17 PM   
Mylesmata

I watched The Fighting Seabees this afternoon. A classic, but I didn't enjoy it at all. I don't mind John Wayne in general, but in this his character was ignorant and bloody-minded and he was still hailed as the hero by every man and his dog.

It did spark a new-found interest in the Seabees, though, so I suppose it wasn't entirely wasted.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 2110
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/23/2016 6:04:02 AM   
warspite1

National Treasure

I watched the first of a four-parter. This is written on the back of Operation Yewtree and the high profile investigations into celebrities and allegations of 'misdemeanours' in the past. The series stars the always watchable Robbie Coltrane (as a long-established comedian and TV personality) and the ever brilliant Julie Walters (as his wife).

Excellent script and acting (as you would expect from a fine cast that also includes Tim McInnerney). Looking forward to the rest of the series.

(in reply to Mylesmata)
Post #: 2111
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/23/2016 11:32:44 AM   
Mylesmata

I returned to a film I loved when I was younger, Michael Mann's The Keep. The effects have that glorious '80s chunky/gooey physicality (as per Alien and The Thing) but the plot and acting are really quite dated. Shoukd have stuck with my memories instead! :/

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2112
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/26/2016 5:29:17 PM   
Zorch

"Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children review: mordant British YA X-Men is Tim Burton's best in 20 years"

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/26/miss-peregrines-home-for-peculiar-children-review-mordant-british-ya-x-men-is-tim-burtons-best-in-20-years

We'll see...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mylesmata)
Post #: 2113
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/26/2016 6:11:36 PM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

"Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children review: mordant British YA X-Men is Tim Burton's best in 20 years"

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/sep/26/miss-peregrines-home-for-peculiar-children-review-mordant-british-ya-x-men-is-tim-burtons-best-in-20-years

We'll see...

Saw the trailer and the first thing that came to mind was "ah ha an off-shoot on the back of the X-Men success.
I find mutant abilities very appealing and I wait in anticipation to see the different mutants. In the new movie,These children's peculiar gifts are less appealing. Almost like a forced idea(something to be different enough) to make the film to not be a complete copy of mutant abilities. Just, can't get into this YET.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2114
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 9/26/2016 9:20:42 PM   
Mylesmata

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Saw the trailer and the first thing that came to mind was "ah ha an off-shoot on the back of the X-Men success.
I find mutant abilities very appealing and I wait in anticipation to see the different mutants. In the new movie,These children's peculiar gifts are less appealing. Almost like a forced idea(something to be different enough) to make the film to not be a complete copy of mutant abilities. Just, can't get into this YET.

The wife read most of the first book and gave up; apparently it got off to a good start but her interest just petered out. Here's hoping the film makes it a bit more engaging. I do like Eva Green, but I'm not a fan of Tim Burton's recent films.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 2115
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/4/2016 10:15:18 PM   
warspite1

Bridge of Spies

A truly Excellent film. Tom Hanks is such a good actor. Great script, great story. Thoroughly recommended.

(in reply to Mylesmata)
Post #: 2116
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/7/2016 3:33:01 PM   
MakeeLearn

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Backing was pulled when the MACHINE realized it was not going to be the normal high action, bigger than life movie. Some say it moves too slowly. It's a study in character and pulls you into that time. Visually it's beautiful moving pictures.
Ive read that the orignal flim was 4 hours and may be released someday.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2117
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/7/2016 4:43:47 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Backing was pulled when the MACHINE realized it was not going to be the normal high action, bigger than life movie. Some say it moves too slowly. It's a study in character and pulls you into that time. Visually it's beautiful moving pictures.

Available online? Links?

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2118
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/7/2016 6:28:16 PM   
warspite1

Anyone watch Westworld? Thoughts? Opinions? Worth watching?

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2119
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/7/2016 6:34:12 PM   
wings7

quote:

I saw the first episode, pretty dark and it really did not hold my interest ...the original movie was very good!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2120
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/7/2016 6:36:58 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

quote:

Available online? Links?

At putlocker, will have to click through the adware 2 or 3 times then it will play. The best way is to quickly close the adware page before it fully loads.

http://putlocker.is/watch-the-assassination-of-jesse-james-by-the-coward-robert-ford-online-free-putlocker.html

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 10/7/2016 6:38:02 PM >

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2121
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/7/2016 6:39:42 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

I saw the first episode, pretty dark and it really did not hold my interest ...the original movie was very good!
warspite1

Thanks Patrick - I'll give the first episode a go - but in two minds at the moment as to whether to bother.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/7/2016 6:40:38 PM >

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2122
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/7/2016 6:47:41 PM   
wings7

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Thanks Patrick - I'll give the first episode a go - but in two minds at the moment as to whether to bother.

You might like it...the cinematography is good as well as the acting...if you like Anthony Hopkins it's worth a watch!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2123
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/7/2016 6:49:08 PM   
wings7

quote:

quote:

quote:

Available online? Links?

At putlocker, will have to click through the adware 2 or 3 times then it will play. The best way is to quickly close the adware page before it fully loads.

http://putlocker.is/watch-the-assassination-of-jesse-james-by-the-coward-robert-ford-online-free-putlocker.html

Thanks for the link, I think I'll pass, adware is not my friend.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 2124
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/13/2016 8:31:44 PM   
warspite1

Hitler: The Rise and Fall

Three parter. The first one was surprisingly good - amazing how many photos of crowds in Vienna and elsewhere that they have found and identified Hitler in!

Also I never realised, but apparently he was never made a corporal. He was a Private First Class. Anyone else ever hear that?

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2125
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/13/2016 8:46:06 PM   
zakblood

USS Indianapolis Men of Courage

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2126
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/13/2016 9:13:03 PM   
wings7

quote:

Three parter. The first one was surprisingly good - amazing how many photos of crowds in Vienna and elsewhere that they have found and identified Hitler in!

Also I never realised, but apparently he was never made a corporal. He was a Private First Class. Anyone else ever hear that?

Yes, according to Wikipedia he was a 'Gefreiter', a private or private first class...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler
Do you have a link or info to "Hitler: The Rise and Fall", it sounds like must see for a WWII buff.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2127
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/13/2016 9:19:55 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Yes, according to Wikipedia he was a 'Gefreiter', a private or private first class...
Do you have a link or info to "Hitler: The Rise and Fall", it sounds like must see for a WWII buff.
warspite1

Not sure what is accessible in other parts of the world, but this 3-part series is currently showing on 'More 4' part of the UK's Channel 4.

Apparently the story that he was promoted in the field to corporal was a story he invented to make him sound good - as was the story he concocted about how he got his Iron Cross (via a daring mission in which he captured a bunch of French soldiers single-handed - the incident did happen, but Hitler wasn't the guy responsible).

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 10/13/2016 9:20:41 PM >

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2128
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/13/2016 9:27:58 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

And 'Gefreiter' could be translated into 'Lance corporal'.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2129
RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? - 10/13/2016 9:36:19 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

And 'Gefreiter' could be translated into 'Lance corporal'.
warspite1

Its really strange. The program said that newly released records showed this to be the case. If true - and it would be staggering if the program makers have lied or got it wrong given the quality of the historians involved - I wonder why and how the idea that he was made Corporal has lasted so long? I have just looked at Bullock's Parallel Lives incase I had missed something, but he too states that Hitler was made Corporal and exhibited incredible personal bravery (a reference to the supposed Iron Cross episode).

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 2130
Page:   <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now? Page: <<   < prev  69 70 [71] 72 73   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI