Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/22/2016 9:35:47 AM   
rjord2021

Gary Seven and Roberta Flack....working together to save mankind from destroying themselves.
Well that was their original mission.

With a change of timeline every time you play Distant Worlds Roberta and Gary 7 are now working together on a different path.

They may still be on their original mission to help mankind... or they may ally with the Klingons or Romulans....or another race.

Gary Seven and Roberta Flack will have a huge part in this mod and their actions will ultimately effect the Klingons, Romulans and the Federation.

This mod will continue their story which should have been told in the spin-off series before it was cancelled.

The pictures shown in this thread are pictures that are being created for the Role playing cards that will come with this mod. The one below took ages to complete and the entire side of Gary Seven's suit as seen on the left of the picture needed to be rebuilt from scratch. The sleeve collar on that side still needs work so a work in progress.

The path taken by Roberta and Gary Seven will be determined by the dice.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/22/2016 9:57:10 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 301
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/22/2016 10:10:35 AM   
rjord2021

Roberta Flack was looking a little pale so I updated her look and made some changes to her outfit.

Looks much better.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 302
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/22/2016 8:14:43 PM   
rjord2021

The USS Enterprise investigates a new ship which entered the Sol system and is not answering hailing frequencies.

Many of the races in this mod did not have starships seen in the episodes so I have to create ships for them from scratch and hopefully keep the ships looking like they belong in the Star Trek universe.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 303
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/22/2016 8:41:29 PM   
rjord2021

A new look Vulcan ship is commissioned for the mod... this is a variant of the Surak combat cruiser class with different color. The Vulcans have long lived without the need for war however the timeline has changed in this mod and the Vulcans have new enemies at their door step.

The brown shaded vessels known in the TV series were more research and transport oriented with these new blue tinged vessels shown in this mod being better suited for battle.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/22/2016 9:08:35 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 304
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/24/2016 8:12:45 AM   
rjord2021

The Talosians of Talos IV

Considered to be one of the most powerful races in the universe.... so dangerous for further human contact that it resulted in Starfleet issuing a galactic law punishable by death penalty for anyone who visits the planet.

This race is mysterious, reclusive, subterranean and will soon not be reclusive to Talos IV.

The subterranean imagery has been updated as well as yje creation of my thoughts of what the Talosian city looks like.

Picture showing version 1 of 2

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/24/2016 8:44:08 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 305
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/24/2016 8:38:35 AM   
rjord2021

The picture above of the Talosian was how the Talosian looked like in late 60's makeup...... a number of things annoyed me and so to finish off my concept of how the Talosians will appear in the mod I have applied what I call the Blu ray effect to the actors's original makeup.

Changes include

- enhanced giant pulsating vascular domes
- fixed the ears so they have more detail
- added more to the eyes , nose and mouth regions.
- improved clothing

The picture below is how I believe the Talosian would have appeared with current makeup effects.

Picture showing version 2 of 2 *** Enhanced ***

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/24/2016 8:44:51 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 306
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/24/2016 9:25:39 AM   
rjord2021

When you arrive in the Janus system you may beam down to the mines of Janus VI on 1 of 6 different stories.

The picture below shows Kirk coming face to face with an enemy that has already killed 12 miners.
One of the stories will follow the storyline seen in the episode "Devil in the Dark"

The picture is still a work in progress and not the final version.

Edited : Improved picture added

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/24/2016 9:38:56 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 307
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/24/2016 10:10:58 AM   
rjord2021

The Horta have a new look in the mod and as you can see they will do a lot of damage if they touch you.

All the pictures shown in this mod are being created for the role playing side of this mod.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 308
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/24/2016 10:31:06 PM   
rjord2021

Kirk and his crew are in imminent danger!

A mysterious creature that has been killing miners has stolen a vital piece of equipment....the main circulating pump for the mining colony's nuclear reactor.

Deep beneath the surface the only way of recovering the pump and stopping the reactor going super-critical and irradiating half the planet is for Spock to attempt a Vulcan mind meld with the Horta.

As with other events in this mod there will be different outcomes with this situation depending on the dice.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/24/2016 10:43:59 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 309
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/25/2016 8:31:48 PM   
rjord2021

Over the last number of weeks I have showed some preview pictures of the graphics I have been working on for the mod.
Now it is time for something a little different.

Following posts will go to the very beginning .......

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 310
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/25/2016 9:19:48 PM   
rjord2021

It is September 1 2239.

As I stand at the viewing window looking down at the planet Earth some 236 miles below I can see that the sun has risen over the planet and is shining bright in the top right corner of the window. I always expect to feel the warmth coming from the Sun but these windows block out the heat and radiation from the Sun and all I can feel is the coldness of space just 2 inches on the other side of this window.

I can hardly comprehend that this day has finally arrived. In my role as Chief of Operations for Starfleet I arrived here at the San Francisco Naval Yards to oversee the construction of Earth's first orbital dry dock. Work on the dry dock completed back in August and since then we have been receiving daily cargo ship deliveries bringing materials and supplies needed for work to begin on the new fleet of starships.

For the last 6 months I would stand by this window every morning at this early hour....6am Space time....waiting for that day when I would receive transmission from Starfleet Command finally giving me the go to begin work on the new ships.

Well that transmission arrived an hour ago and I am now authorized to begin work on the first Constitution Class starship.....the USS Enterprise.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 311
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/27/2016 7:33:35 AM   
rjord2021

Steps for construction of the star bases will be finished today or tomorrow.

As you may have guessed if you chose to play with role playing then starbase construction is not simply a matter of pressing a button.

With this mod it can be as detailed as you want and my early guess is that there are 12 steps required before you can build the San Francisco Naval Yards in orbit around Earth.

I am designing this with great detail and research as I will be playing the mod in Full Realism mode.

Blueprints are being used for ships , stations and shuttles to determine how much damage is taken and where the damage occurred during battle. If you are hit in key areas with the shields down you are in serious trouble.

How you play this mod is totally up to you and if you want to skip the details and take shortcuts that is completely up to you. However this will reduce the realism that I am putting into the mod.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/27/2016 8:53:42 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 312
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/28/2016 1:04:56 AM   
rjord2021

Construction of the San Francisco Naval Yards in orbit over Earth takes a bit longer than building additional Starbases.

This is because there are no starships constructed yet so it takes longer to get construction crews up into orbit and then have an initial work and living quarters area built.....then building the hull and other systems around them.

As far as the role playing going there are only a few steps to take before you build the Starbase in Distant Worlds.

Once the Starbase is completed in Distant Worlds then steps need to be taken before you can start building your first starship.

Such steps are:

- 5 Fusion reactions arrive on site and are fitted giving the Starbase 20% power each reactor.
- Weapons systems begin fitting to provide station defense.
- Station Ops is designed and fitted.
- Shield systems are installed.
- Sick-bay facilities installed.
- Comm and Sensor arrays installed and tested
- Station Operations brought online and tested
- Additional crew facilities installed
- Shuttles and tugs are assigned to the Starbase
- Supplies start arriving and crew assigned to their stations.
- The Commander arrives on duty on the Starbase
= Final exterior markings applied and the Starbase is finally commissioned

Sounds complicated but these are the actual steps used by Starfleet and I am adding them to the mod in a way which adds realism and is simple to implement.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 313
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/30/2016 9:37:13 PM   
rjord2021

With the latest news about Star Trek Discovery just being announced a few hours ago I am adding in some of the story of Discovery but 10 years after the Discovery timeline.

Below is a photoshop image I am currently working on

Edit : I have replaced the image I had posted here 2 hours ago with an image I have photoshopped of a character from the Kirk era as she would have looked 10 years earlier in the Discovery era.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/30/2016 11:40:10 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 314
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/30/2016 11:10:37 PM   
rjord2021

Starfleet agents have infiltrated a Klingon database and recovered a transmission log which appears to contain images from the USS Discovery which disappeared two years ago while on a mission inside Klingon space.

It is imperative that we find out what happened to the Discovery and her crew and this image taken from the rather scratchy transmission log shows one of the bridge crew possibly transmitting a distress call.

Sadly there is no audio with the log.

The Enterprise is to head to the edge of the Klingon Neutral Zone and pick up both Starfleet agents who recovered the transmission log and see if you can determine the fate of the Discovery and her crew.

Starfleet out.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/30/2016 11:13:00 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 315
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/31/2016 12:05:46 AM   
rjord2021

Kirk meets Nomad on an away mission as he tries to convince the machine that it is imperfect. This is one mission where Kirk could die if he fails the mission.

In this shot Nomad is only seconds away from sterilizing the entire landing party.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 8/31/2016 6:42:25 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 316
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 8/31/2016 6:52:38 AM   
rjord2021

I updated the picture of Kirk meeting Nomad and have given my interpretation of how Nomad sees other.
How many visual sensors or cameras did Nomad have?

This information does not exist but I would imagine it would be one or two with different lens filters and HUD information to show information on it's own systems as well as the makeup of life forms it encounters.

Nomad is a dangerous opponent for Kirk as it is capable of wiping out an entire solar system in a blink of the eye...though how it would do so is never explained.

Note that in the episode "The Changling" Nomad refers to Kirk as the Creator......not the last time a machine is looking for it's Creator.
This is a clue to the link Nomad has with another machine later on.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 317
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 9/1/2016 2:04:18 AM   
Nen

This looks fantastic! Impressive work.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 318
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 9/1/2016 2:10:02 AM   
rjord2021

Thanks Nen.... Positive feedback like yours is always welcome.

(in reply to Nen)
Post #: 319
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 9/1/2016 2:13:05 AM   
rjord2021

My pc is in the shop for repair to replace the cpu fan.... also taking the opportunity to add 8 gig more memory to the system.

As a result development on the mod is stalled for the next 6 hours.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 320
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 9/1/2016 4:15:37 PM   
rjord2021

$440 later..... 12 gig memory in my system... new cpu fan.... and a new disk drive because apparently my old one was failing.

The good news..... none of this mod was lost and development continues

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 321
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 9/2/2016 12:11:14 AM   
Twigster

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 322
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 9/3/2016 9:29:33 AM   
rjord2021

This took the best part of the day to create in photoshop.

This is one of the lead Klingons that will be encountered in the mod along with those you already know from the TOS era.

The original series was lacking in the number of Klingons that were encountered as was the case with the Romulans.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Twigster)
Post #: 323
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 9/3/2016 9:35:37 AM   
rjord2021

I noticed with the picture I just posted that the Klingon was missing her left shoulder.
Added in this picture.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 324
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 9/3/2016 8:04:41 PM   
rjord2021

If the Romulans colonize the Gateway planet and learn the secrets of the Guardian this would have dire results for the Federation.

For the Federation to survive they would need the Enterprise to have previously sent a landing party down and discovered the Guardian and it's ability to access other times and dimensions.

Knowing of the existence of this alien portal and that the Romulans have taken the planet a Priority One mission would be formed to remove the Romulans from Gateway.

However the clock is ticking and Romulan agents could disappear into the portal and Earth's history at any time (decided by the dice).....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 325
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 9/7/2016 5:38:14 PM   
rjord2021

Tutorial : Removing the background picture

Many people who enjoy Distant Worlds Universe may like to try some modding and for example create new ships or characters for the game....however they have no idea the best way of doing this. So I thought I would quickly add a tutorial here to show how I do it.

The Scenario

The crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise are investigating mysterious energy drains from power stations when sensors detect an alien artifact which is drawing power from the ship. With no response to hailing the artifact and ship power falling quickly Kirk is forced to destroy the artifact to save the Enterprise .... however before the strange artifact is destroyed by a photon torpedo Spock detects one life form on board the artifact.

Too late to prevent the torpedo from destroying the artifact the bridge crew watch in horror as the ship explodes and Spock announces there are no longer any life forms onboard the remains of the artifact.

All eyes turn around to the viewscreen as a huge hand suddenly appears directly in front of the Enterprise and grabs the ship. Hails are sent out on all frequencies to establish contact with whoever is controlling the hand that has latched on to the ship.

Seeing no alternative, Kirk organizes a landing party and heads down to the planet.

To create the RPG cards for this retelling of the episode Who Mourns for Adonais? I need to create several pictures with the new scenarios fitting this Distant Worlds Universe mod.

To do this I do the following in paint.net which is free and anyone can use it.

The steps are as follows

1. get the background picture with the correct size and color etc that I want to add Apollo to.

2. Double the width of the background picture

3. paste the picture of Apollo into the right side of the background picture...to the right of the picture you want to keep as a background

4. Use the clone stamp and while CTRL is pressed down click the mouse on the picture of Apollo...in the case below his lower left arm

5. Stop pressing CTRl

6. Go to the left side of the picture and work out where Apollo should be placed.

7. While keeping the right most circle in the picture of Apollo click the mouse in the picture on the left and slowly draw Apollo in the background picture. By keeping the rightmost circle always inside Apollo's outline you can copy the picture over neatly.

8. I first draw around the outline doing a mouse click at a time..this means if I make a mistake I can undo the last bit. Once the outline is drawn then I can quickly fill in the rest of Apollo.,

The picture below shows what this looks like 50% of the way through the copy.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 9/7/2016 10:23:46 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 326
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 9/7/2016 8:27:29 PM   
rjord2021

The tutorial was just one way of separating an image from it's background...depending on the picture and how complicated it is some times you have to use other methods as well such as masks.

The picture below took just over 15 minutes to finish and shows one of the RPG cards I have created this morning when Kirk leads a landing party down to Pollux IV where they came face to face with a God... Apollo.

Some of the stories in Star Trek were a little weak in delivery... this one not being one of them with a rating of 7.1 out of 10, For those such as Spock's Brain which got a 5.5 rating I am modifying the story a little to make it more like what Star Trek is about.

The picture below shows Apollo reacting to the arrival of the landing party.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 9/7/2016 10:26:02 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 327
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 9/12/2016 7:34:01 AM   
rjord2021

Below is a picture of my gaming board and the 3 dice I am using for testing the mod.

The red dice is your normal 6 sided dice. You can get what ever color you want as this does not matter to the mod.

The picture shows that I have two 12 sided dice on the board. It is important that you have two and that they are different to each other in color or perhaps in size or have different markings. You have to be able to tell which dice is yours and which dice represents the opponent action or force.

With some of the role playing events you will be throwing both 12 sided dice at the same time and for example a specific event could occur if the darker dice has a higher value than the lighter colored dice.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 9/12/2016 7:35:35 AM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 328
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 10/16/2016 1:25:11 AM   
rjord2021

Work on this mod still continues and there has been a lot of progress in the last 30 days.

I have purchased the digital copy of Star Trek Beyond and am currently adding new species as seen in the film into this mod .

Even though Star Trek Beyond is an alternate timeline it is safe to assume that the aliens seen in that movie would also exist in the original timeline..... the only things changing being the stories of those characters.

Every time you play this mod the end result and your journey to that end will always be different...hence playing this mod will always produce a different timeline to the last time you played it.

Below is a half completed picture I am creating of Kalara from the movie adding her to a completely different timeline and locale for this mod.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 329
RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) - 10/16/2016 1:38:20 AM   
rjord2021

Kalara is of the human species and originally called Jessica Wolff before she is heavily mutated by energy transference technology and eventually becomes Kalara.

In the film her appearance is a result of using the energy transference technology to drain other individuals to prolong her life,,,the downside being that her biology is altered to take on some of the features of her victims.

Depending on how the mod plays out, and if you encounter Kalara, Krall and the other members seen in the movie, at times you will see different combinations of these characters in different stories.

At times you will see both Krall and Kalara, or see them separately.....you may also find one or both of them allied with Khan.

The story changes each time you play the mod and depends on how other events have occurred in the mod.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Star Trek : The Return of Khan (TOS Era) Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI